Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Tx6JrUb80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asz-GWRFJxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjhSD6oT3s

Elevators are pretty weird and cool. I like riding on elevators.

Does anyone have any cool facts about elevators they would like to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've take a ride on the top of a few elevators. There is often a platform you can stand on up there that they use for installation / maintenance. It would amaze you at how fast they go. Watching the slab lines and thin slivers of light from beneath the doors on each floor zip by.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
just lol if u take the elevator

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVfLOqtPR8

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elevators seem to kill a lot of people in China.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

How do you go down something called an elevator?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I was on a junky elevator remodeling a school once. I tried to go up two floors with boxes of material. The elevator went up, stopped, fell half a floor and the doors opened with the floor about two feet higher than the floor of the elevator. Did not appreciate.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Skypie posted:

I was on a junky elevator remodeling a school once. I tried to go up two floors with boxes of material. The elevator went up, stopped, fell half a floor and the doors opened with the floor about two feet higher than the floor of the elevator. Did not appreciate.

were you floored

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skypie posted:

In one of the plants I've worked at while under contract the elevator inside containment literally must be operated by a person.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

were you floored

Yes.

Another time at a power house, I had to remove old conduit from the upper platforms. This requires riding a mechanical elevator that's probably twice as old as me about 200 feet into the air. It was very nerve-wracking, and when you'd take it down, it would lurch and drop about 3 inches so hard you'd come off the grate you stood on

Honky Dong Country posted:

In one of the plants I've worked at while under contract the elevator inside containment literally must be operated by a person.

Been on a job like that but it was a hospital and the laborer was there to make sure people weren't getting off on floors that were "active" and not under construction.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
what do you want to live forever or something bitch

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Preferably. I want an immortal robot body and to be launched into space away from this dumb gay earth and/or comedy forum site

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

do you want to live forever

COME ON, YOU APES!

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
whenever I get in an elevator I play this little game where I immediately drop my pants and must avoid being caught otherwise I must be punished

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
three olives your new avatar is ravishing on you

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The coolest elevator I ever rode was the one to the top of the World Trade Center in the 90s

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
this is the coolest elevator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwU4iCnWAPU

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

I can never find the secret escape hatch

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Elevators use weights and poo poo so you don't die

that's all i know about elevators

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The only memorable one I went up was in the Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur. It has screens showing the outside world so you don't get motion sickness and puke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sakuaoF7mXI

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Elevatorfan videos make me so angry

"I'm an enthusiast!!" *doesn't know that all close-door buttons in the US are disabled by law*

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXcknies_A&t=5s

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

Elevatorfan videos make me so angry

"I'm an enthusiast!!" *doesn't know that all close-door buttons in the US are disabled by law*

Every close door button I've ever pushed worked just fine.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Yep it goes up. Yep it goes down. Does exactly what the laws require it to do. Sorry, I'm too dumb to say anything about the appearance of the car or the landings or anything else that distinguishes it from the last elevator."

Elevator enthusiasm is consumerist false consciousness

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Honky Dong Country posted:

Every close door button I've ever pushed worked just fine.
if you're in US jurisdiction, pressing the close door button generally has nothing to do with the door closing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My old workplace had a functioning Paternoster elevator and I miss that thing so much. :(

Riding it over the top and through the bottom was a rite of passage for all new employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJBD1wf-YQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCQ6tq5wJE

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

if you're in US jurisdiction, pressing the close door button generally has nothing to do with the door closing

Well I've lived in the US my entire life and any elevator I've ever ridden the button works. Also the whole "the door close button doesn't work by law" thing is supposedly due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, which as of 2010 has nothing in it that says elevators are not allowed to have a functioning door close button, just that there must be a functioning door open button to reopen the doors.

E: actually I looked it up just now because I haven't needed a familiarity with ADA requirements since I stopped working apartment maintenance, and it actually goes further than that and requires a system (usually sensors) to halt the closing of a door if a person is obstructing the doors without needing physical contact with the elevator to stop the doors. Still, nothing at all about door close buttons.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my favorite bad elevator experience was in my college dorm, it would always overshoot the home floor landing then hurtle all the way to the top of the building and then down to the basement before trying again, i guess to calibrate itself?

it will be cool if the GOP rolls back some regulations and kids start posting elevator horrors

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The elevators where I work have no buttons inside them to select a floor. Instead, when you use your badge to get through the security turnstiles, it directs you to an elevator that will take you to your floor. There's also a floor select panel on the ground level outside the elevator banks.

This is actually the most retarded system in existence. Often, I need to go to a different floor when I come in, so it's sending two elevators as opposed to one. This has also hosed me up in that I'll get on a normal elevator and just wait for it to take me where I want to go because I've gotten so used to not pushing a button.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Have you ever taken an elevator TO A DIFFERENT WORLD?

Elisa Lam did. It went poorly for her. Beware spoopy!

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
*squinted eyes flick back and forth between G and 1 buttons in utter confusion*

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

*squinted eyes flick back and forth between G and 1 buttons in utter confusion*

*awkwardly performs the walk of shame down to ground level after realizing the mistake*

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
If you take the elevator how do you even get down?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

givepatajob posted:

The elevators where I work have no buttons inside them to select a floor. Instead, when you use your badge to get through the security turnstiles, it directs you to an elevator that will take you to your floor. There's also a floor select panel on the ground level outside the elevator banks.

This is actually the most retarded system in existence. Often, I need to go to a different floor when I come in, so it's sending two elevators as opposed to one. This has also hosed me up in that I'll get on a normal elevator and just wait for it to take me where I want to go because I've gotten so used to not pushing a button.

my office is similar, no buttons inside, just a panel at every floor where you give it the floor you want to go to to call a ride. if you want to ensure you have the elevator to yourself you press the same floor ~dozen times. or call two floors above you (car only goes to three at a time) and then you can at least be certain it won't have to stop on the way to ur floor.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
also the whole system loving sucks and i wish they just had regular elevators... orpaternosters i guess

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Elevators are cool. Escalators...

not so much

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
what about travelators

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

Elevators are cool. Escalators...

not so much

Escalators frustrate me because they are designed to help people move quickly through the natural bottleneck that is stairs but then people just stand on them and its slow anyways.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
King Reol elevator review thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0gDyGjbi_c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I have an irrational fear of elevator cables snapping and sending everyone plummeting to their deaths. Makes working in a tower interesting.

A lot of goobers like to shove their hands between the closing doors in an attempt to force them back open without suffering amputation.

• Locked thread