Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Summary

Judgment is a fun little colony building game that takes place in a modern-day apocalyptic setting, where demon hordes have come out of hellgates and invaded the world. The game is currently in early-access alpha and is planned for a Q4 2017 release. What sets it apart from many other EA games is that it is already fully-funded, meaning the developer (Suncrash) is not dependent on selling more copies to get it finished. The community is small but active.

Story

It's the Apocalypse, the end of the world. You were camping with some friends when an evil shadow, a huge demon, appeared out of nowhere and viciously ripped one of them apart. Somehow as your survival instincts took hold, you managed to kill the creature and flee. Soon, however, you found that you were a few of the lucky ones. Your demon encounter was not an isolated incident. The town was aflame, it was Judgment day.

But you and your friends vow to fight back. You find an isolated valley and build a base, a shelter for yourselves and other survivors you may find. The Apocalypse may be here, but your hope is still strong. As long as you're alive, mankind has yet to be judged. You will find a way to save the world, send the demons back.

Premise

Judgment is a colony building game that takes place during a demon apocalypse. You control a group of survivors and need to build shelter, grow crops, gather resources and research basic technologies to unlock new buildings, items and benefits. You then need to launch expeditions to the surrounding areas to scavenge for resources, rescue other survivors and try to figure out just how and why everything went to poo poo and if there is a way to fix it.

In addition to scientific research, you also have access to occult research, and can perform holy (and dark) rituals and craft items of power to aid in your fight against the demons. Occult research is a completely separate tech tree and adds a new and somewhat unique dimension to the game.

Your base is located in an isolated valley away from most of the chaos, which gives you some ease of mind. However, no matter how discreet you are, demons become more aware of you over time, and periodically launch attacks, which you need to defend against. There is an Awareness Meter that gives a rough approximation of when you can expect the next attack and how strong it will be. Larger colonies are harder to hide from demons, so as you recruit more people, research technologies and perform rituals, the demons become aware of you more quickly and attack more frequently. This means that you need to think carefully about whether you really want to rescue that dude calling for help, or cast that ritual that will instantly grow your crops.

Combat

Combat is tactical and real-time, but the game can be paused at any time, allowing for careful planning and issuing orders. The demons have the advantage of numbers, and to counter that you make ample use of Cover. Cover is a mechanic that provides both defensive advantages (specifically, evading ranged attacks) as well as offensive advantages (increased accuracy for ranged attacks). Different objects and buildings provide different levels of cover. These can be both natural, such as trees and rocks, and man-made, such as sandbags. Things aren't a simple matter of shooting at demons from behind cover though, as they are pretty clever and attack from multiple directions to try to flank you (attacking from flanks is especially devastating).

Character Progression

There are five character classes:

• Fighter: Specializes in fighting and patrolling the outlook posts you build on the colony perimeter, which reduces enemy awareness.
  • Engineer: Specializes in building, crafting and performing scientific research.
  • Survivalist: Specializes in farming, gathering and scavenging.
  • Occultist: Specializes in occult research and dark rituals/item crafting.
  • Priest: Specializes in occult research and holy rituals/item crafting.

Every colonist starts at level 0 and gains experience by performing tasks. How quickly they gain experience depends on what tasks they are performing. Each class has a preferred set of tasks. For example, engineers level up faster if they are dedicated to scientific research. In contrast, if they are assigned to farming, they tend to advance very slowly. Making sure colonists specialize in tasks they prefer, and gain new skills along those paths, is an important part of the game.

There are also character traits, which provide various bonuses and penalties. Sometimes these compliment the class (e.g. an Engineer with a Crafter trait, which gives a bonus to crafting speed) but not always. At the beginning of the game you randomly roll your three starting characters and their classes/traits, so paying attention to this is important.

Exploration

Exploration takes place on a world map and is a critical part of the game. Many essential resources are found only by scavenging abandoned houses, factories, schools, supermarkets and the like, and they are always protected by bands of demons. The nice thing about Judgment is that it gives you two options: you can sneak in a couple of survivors and try to scavenge the resources without being detected (which requires careful scouting to be able to dodge enemy patrols), or roll in with a larger, better armed group and kill the demons. The latter is riskier and takes more manpower, but provides more resources (especially resources that can only be acquired from demons, such as sulfur, which is necessary to craft gunpowder).

The world map contains many different biomes, and each biome has different characteristics and unique items. For example, resin, a material required to craft crossbows (the best ranged weapon early on), can only be found in forests, while bottles of alcohol, which is required to craft medicine, can only be found in cities. Some of these materials can be crafted later in the game as you advance in the tech tree, but during the early stages you will do a lot of your bootstrapping by scavenging them during exploration.

Links

Official site
Steam page
Forums
Wiki

FAQ

Q: What is the current state of the game?
A: The game is stable and there is lots of content. I'm 30 hours into my first playthrough and I estimate I have another 30 to go. Since the game is still in alpha, some things are a bit rough around the edges, and some features are "coming soon." It's mostly minor stuff. For example there is currently no way to scrap unused items. But that is coming in the next update.

Q: Does it have multiplayer?
A: No, singleplayer only. You are utterly and hopelessly alone in a world crawling with demons. As far as I'm aware there are no plans to make it multiplayer.

Q: How similar is it to RimWorld?
A: On the surface they look somewhat similar, in the sense that they are both colony management simulations. However, they are very different games. For example, in RimWorld most of your time is spent on the local map managing your colony, and your caravans play a generally small role. Judgment though is very much about exploration. If you don't send out parties of survivors to scavenge for supplies, you eventually die.

Q: Is there mod support?
A: There is, but I haven't really looked at it. I suspect it's not super active. For what it's worth, I haven't really found myself searching for mods. The base game is really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

reserved

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have bought this game based on your recommendation and if it is not good I'll send you an angry letter.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I have also bought it and want to know how to make wool, you will tell me or DIE!

Anne just died of thirst, everyone is too knackered to care.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 27, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dirty Frank posted:

I have also bought it and want to know how to make wool, you will tell me or DIE!

Anne just died of thirst, everyone is too knackered to care.

Research animal-farming. That's about as far as I've got.

gently caress werewolves. That is all.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Any apocalypse that goes for demons over zombies deserves a look from me.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

DoubleCakes posted:

Any apocalypse that goes for demons over zombies deserves a look from me.

Well, there is one enemy that's a zombie, but they're a fucker because they shoot pistols at you.

I suppose some quick tips for starters:

Bows are your go-to weapon for just about anyone. Firearms take a while to research up to and collect, but having ranged weapons makes all the difference.

Be aggressive with exploring. Any location you find that has weak demons that you can easily kill? Raid it, even if you don't think you need the resources there.

A well and farms are your first priority when starting out. Without them, you'll die before the demons even reach them. Ignore just about everything else till you've got something sustainable.

You can make a bigger stockpile of food by going into the crafting menus on the workbench (or its food making equivalent.) and set the minimum required up to a safer number.

Don't be afraid to check out areas with a ? for listed resources. Some are decent equipment that you can receive long before you have the tech to make it yourself.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 29, 2017

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I almost got this earlier during the sale. Is there really enough content in the current game to keep it interesting? Is there evidence that the devs are still working on it? I'm sure I saw this game a year ago, and I can't remember much changing in what it looked like back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I almost got this earlier during the sale. Is there really enough content in the current game to keep it interesting? Is there evidence that the devs are still working on it? I'm sure I saw this game a year ago, and I can't remember much changing in what it looked like back then.

It does become samey after a point, but I wouldn't say you'd run out of things to do very easily. They are still updating, even if slowly. (About a month between large updates is a reasonable assumption.) There appears to be some mild mod support, as there's a workshop, but so far there's only translations for the game.

I'll let you decide if that's 'worth it' or not.

• Locked thread