Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lol

quote:

At the moment they are coming to the end of a revolution of sorts, it’s petering out in spasms, but still you’re likely to come across entire threads of people saying:

“I’m Gay.”
“I’m Gay.”
“I’m Gay.” at each other like some kind of demented bird call. Which in anyone’s terms is pathetic or infuriating or both. I’m not here to defend it, but to try to sum up what’s been going on in this virtual town of 189,064 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

I'd like to provide a bit more of a philosophical outlook from the perspective of a long-ago goon- What happened is that people grew up.
I was in college when something awful was new and awesome. The attitude they had was a perfect fit for the time and place and general culture of the moment. It meshed flawlessly into the backend of the current zeitgeist, and fed off of it becoming a hell of a thing. They grabbed the tiger by the tail and he took them on one hell of a trip. Then people grew up -but they didn't all mature- a lot of them maintained that same narcissistic pessimism and gonzo journalism derived madcap deconstructionism that had been the cornerstone of their lives, and their creative process for so long even as they went on to grow, and get married and start families, and that attitude, that personality, that behavior pattern -it isn't conducive to becoming a mature functioning adult.
Some people got out, some people couldn't, and some people just went further and further off the deep end.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
GBS: a virtual town filled with gays doing bird calls

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Seasonal variation in Guillain-Barré syndrome: a systematic review, meta-analysis and Oxfordshire cohort study.

Webb AJ1, Brain SA2, Wood R3, Rinaldi S1, Turner MR1.
Author information
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:
Evidence for seasonal variation in incidence and subtype of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is contradictory, but has implications for provision of neurological services and understanding pathogenesis.
METHODS:
We searched PubMed and EMBASE between inception and January 2014, including all studies reporting seasonal incidence of GBS. We included a retrospective cohort study of patients with GBS at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford 2001-2012 and determined the seasonal variation in GBS incidence and length of stay. The incidence rate ratio (IRR) for winter versus summer was pooled across studies by fixed and random effects meta-analysis weighted by inverse variance, stratified by geographical region, infectious prodrome and GBS subtype.
RESULTS:
Across 9836 patients from 42 studies there was a 14% increased risk of GBS in winter versus summer (IRR=1.14, 1.02-1.27, p=0.020), with significant heterogeneity between studies (I(2)=77%, p<0.0001), including significant seasonal variation in Oxford (n=140; p=0.037) for winter versus summer (IRR=1.92, 1.18-3.11, p=0.004) but a non-significantly reduced length of stay for winter versus other seasons (15 vs 21 days, p=0.08). Across all studies, there was greater seasonal variation with respiratory prodrome (IRR=3.06, 1.84-5.11, p<0.0001) than diarrhoeal prodrome (IRR=1.10, 0.60-2.00, p=0.76) and a greater incidence in winter in Western countries (IRR=1.28), the Far East (IRR=1.20) and Middle East (IRR=1.12), with a lower incidence in the Indian subcontinent (IRR=0.86) and Latin America (IRR=0.75).
DISCUSSION:
Incidence of GBS was greater in winter than summer, but this was not evident in all geographical regions. This is likely to be related to regional variation in prodromal illnesses.
Published by the BMJ Publishing Group Limited. For permission to use (where not already granted under a licence) please go to http://group.bmj.com/group/rights-licensing/permissions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao I was just reading this post for this thread. The whole comments section is great too.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rime posted:

that's dense, even for me

ungh

yeah

toss some more of those

isms

at my face

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Group B Strep Infection: GBS - American Pregnancy Association posted:

Group B streptococcus (GBS) is a type of bacterial infection that can be found in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina and/or rectum of about 25% of all healthy, adult women. Women who test positive for GBS are said to be colonized. A mother can pass GBS to her baby during delivery.
man human beings are gross sometimes

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lol

quote:

Now FactsAreUseless is admin, and he's every bit as thin skinned and sadbrained as his predecessors. He seems to believe that deleting GBS will help Something Awful because it was "a forum for Republicans" or something.

Truth is, SA will never be what it was. Most of its talented users have moved or were chased away for "problematic" humor. The forums are outdated, everyone blocks their ads, and Lowtax simply doesn't give a poo poo anymore. It's sad, because I used to have tons of fun on SA. Now its creator is a broken man, and everyone in charge are millinial, Tumblrtrash douches who think that Frozen gifs on Buzzfeed are the apex of comedy.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

what a sad life that guy must live

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
googled "gibbis something awful"

Tonetta posted:

been gone for like a week and upon checking my favorite page on the website (the lepers colony) I found that not only has gibbis gone racist, but it's also a bannable offense!

If possible, can we get some mods to respond on what is and is not okay to post when it comes to racism? On top of 5hat, I would like to see some of the regulars weigh in on the subject too, but please don't post horrendously racist poo poo in here just because you think you can get away with it it is gross! Personally I think a good ol' fashioned "nog nog tryin' to get a hand beezy" that is well placed should be accepted, but anything that hints the poster themselves might actually be racist should be righh out. What do you guys think?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

nog nog ham breezy

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The people on somethingsensitive seem kind of hateful lol

Lol @ internet politics. Why make the internet as gay as real life can be jeez

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
nog nog

who's there

hand beezy

hand beezy who

hand beezy the mic, it's time to drop the beat

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I googled a BYOB username and found that recently a BYOB thread named "the scientology of pizza" had been used as evidence in a response to a trademark denial. I made a thread about it in BYOB

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821930

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

cda posted:

I googled a BYOB username and found that recently a BYOB thread named "the scientology of pizza" had been used as evidence in a response to a trademark denial. I made a thread about it in BYOB

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821930

This is cool as hell. Byob is good and I'm going there right now to make an effort to be funny and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

searched for "sa gbs"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9fDpTG_9DQ

all your favorite forums superstars, caught on video!

• Locked thread