Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Name: Nakamura Maseo
Concept: Noted Underachiever
Virtue: Just
Vice: Lazy
Arcana: The Magician

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●●
    • Resolve ●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●
    • Dexterity ● ● ●
    • Stamina ● ●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●●●;

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics●●
    • Computer●●● (Internet)
    • Crafts
    • Investigation●
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science●
  • Physical
    • Athletics
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny●
    • Stealth●●
    • Survival●
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy●●
    • Expression●●
    • Intimidation●
    • Persuasion●
    • Socialize ●● (Teen Parties)
    • Streetwise●
    • Subterfuge●● (Little White Lies)

Merits
  • Langage (Japanese) ●
  • Resources ●●●●
  • Mystery Cult Initiation ●●

Health: 7/7
Willpower: 5/5

Aspirations

• Short-Term Aspiration
  • To Throw an Epic Party

This is the corporate logo of the Shinju-Hokosawa group. Founded in 1891 in Nara by Shinju Asahi as a small textile concern, it expanded under his son-in-law Hosokawa Ryusei into a major industrial concern, and now is a series of interlocking companies with interests as diverse as construction, materials extraction, banking, and chip fabrication. Now it turns its eyes across the ocean. The Shinju-Hokosawa Group, while powerful enough in Japan, lacks much influence overseas. Oh, it does business in Manchuria, of course, but the Youzhi Emperor and the Legislative Council are eager for Japanese investment. Outside of that, though, it was late to expand, willing to sit on its accomplishments. That day is over now. It's been decided. They're expanding into the Pacific States, with a new American subsidiary. To head the subsidiary, they've picked Nakamura Hideki.

Nakamura is, perhaps, a controversial choice. Oh, he has his merits, no doubt. Even his detractors can't deny that he's hard working, and a good manager. He's certainly charming, which some consider a mark against him, because there are those in the Group that don't trust too much charm. But he's had his successes, and, if he had been picked to head an existing division, well....there would have been the usual grumbling from the usual suspects, as faction politics worked themselves out, but that's just the normal friction. So why is he so controversial for this position?

You see, Nakamura doesn't much care for Americans, as a group, that is. They lack the Yamato-damashii, the Japanese spirit. He's a fair enough man to know this isn't their fault, as such. They can't help what they are. But he just finds some of the values and attitudes that Americans show....well, irritating. They don't take things seriously. They're only interested in having a good time. They're shallow. These are his preconceptions, and he clings to them as a drowning man a lifejacket. But his beliefs can be put aside for now, because this is not his story.

This is, however, the story of his teenage son, Maseo Nakamura. Maseo likes Americans. He likes the PSA. He finds Los Angeles an exciting and fun place to be, compared to his previous homes of Nara and Harbin. He's glad his dad's job brought them here. He even likes the school (as much as it's possible to like school, at least, because, come on!) He's always gone to private schools before, filled with, well, stuffy rich overachievers. Not fun at all. But, now, here, he wants to party. If he learns something while he's doing it, well, that's just a risk he's going to have to take.

It's not that he's dumb. Far from it. But Maseo has discovered that hard work is hard, and he's not entirely convinced it's worth it. In fact, he's willing to go to no end of effort, and spare no expense or energy to avoid working too hard. This sort of thing infuriates his dad, of course; not that that's hard. Oh, they love each other. But Hideki is disappointed, to say the least. He probably has a right to be, honestly. Putting aside the whole Yamato-damashii thing, Maseo is making some stupid decisions here, and probably needs somebody to pull him out of the hole he's digging for himself and give him a good kick in the pants. (Admit it, you thought this was going to be one of those 'protagonist needs to convince his dad to accept him the way he is' stories, didn't you?).

Maseo is, however, a member of a school club, called the Parabola Society. Well....it's not exactly an official club. You know what? Forget I said anything. It's a myth. It doesn't exist. Maseo is certainly NOT a member of a secret underground society that IN NO WAY exists in the school, hidden from view. And even if a club like that existed, which it doesn't, it doesn't make its members swear oaths of loyalty or have a secret agenda that it's not sharing with the world Nope. Hey, you know, I think it's going to rain. Maybe you should go see if all the windows are shut. I'll stay here. So, windows shut? Good. You know, I don't remember what we were talking about either.

quote:

Which of the Major Arcana best exemplifies you?

The Magician. The magician represents potentiality turned into action and focus leading to creativity and power. Masao is, right now, all potential and no action, no focus.

quote:

Who is an important person in your life? Name an individual who’s personally important or connected to your character, in their own right or as a representative of something bigger. This is someone you want to show up in the game, and will serve a similar role to Persona social links. They’re probably a regular mortal, but don’t feel restricted, it’s a weird and magical world.

Maseo's father, both because of the family bond, and because, right now, Maseo and Hideki find themselves diametrically opposed in worldview and attitude. Hideki hates America, Maseo loves it. Hideki is a salaryman and an executive for a large zaibatsu, something that Maseo looks at with something like horror. Hideki believes very strongly in discipline and hard work, while Maseo shrinks back from anything other than having a good time. And yet, maybe, if you look, you can see the father in the son.

They're both charming, which is a nebulous word, but they both like and understand people, and know how to manipulate others. And, fundamentally, at base, they both have this idea of order and justice; that the world should be fair and predictable. Hideki finds his idea of justice in the spirit of Japan...the conviction that, through work and faith and determination, the individual can harness his talents as part of the greater group and accomplish even the impossible. Maseo finds his justice in the promise of America; a world where everyone is free to make their own choices, and the rights of the individual to be who and what they are is respected. But, in their hearts, they both dream of a better world.

quote:

What do you want more than anything in the world? Magic is the power that turns your hopes and desires and Obsessions into reality. You Awaken when you want something so badly that reality can no longer stop you. What will you pursue when you finally see the world clearly, and the only thing holding you back is yourself?

More than anything, Maseo wants to discover who he is and live the life he wants to live, not the life other people want him to live.

quote:

(also answer this boring question: Are you okay with playing over Discord?

Discord is fine. Generally weekday evenings (except Tuesdays, when I have other commitments) or Saturday evenings. I can't do voice stuff, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

What teacher or class makes it worth coming to school hungover for?

I'm never hungover! No one can hold his liquor like me. But the answer is Ms. Matthews, She teaches American history. I do not know much American history. I never studied it before. But she never makes me feel stupid or foolish when I don't know something.

quote:

What have you done for the Parabola Club?

<Sucks air through his teeth> Oh, not much. It's really more of a social club, really. I mean, there was that time I followed another student for two days and kept track of everyone they met. Then, once, I uploaded a program to the school's main database. But, you know, mostly we just talk about movies and stuff.

quote:

Who have you met through partying that your father would never have imagined?

Well, I met a movie actress , once, and I don't think my father would have expected me to . But I don't think you mean it that way. I met Frank Watkins. He goes to the university. I don't think my father would have approved, not because of Frank, but because of his father. His father is president of the Union Party. You've heard of the Union Party? They're the political party that says that all of the former United States should become one country again, and that non-Americans have too much influence. My father thinks they're dangerous fanatics.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maseo

quote:

Pick out a different Tarot card, and tell me about your brush with magic that it reminds you of.

"Brush with magic?" Maseo reaches into the deck and pulls out a card.

He looks at it for a minute, puzzled.

"When I was a little kid, back home, near my house, there was this abandoned lot. I don't know what used to be there, before, but it was all overrun with nettles and thornbushes and stuff. When I was ten, they finally, after a lot of complaints, bulldozed it and built a playground, but before then, it wasn't a safe place. About a month ago, I was in bed and had a strange dream. I dreamed I was in the abandoned lot....you know, before they bulldozed it, running through it, away from something, trying to get through all the thorns and vines. Then, when I woke up, here, in Los Angeles, my feet were all cut up."

• Locked thread