Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
So in an effort to get THIS working:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=64023

I switched the Bios option from Legacy to EFI mode in the bios settings to meet the last requirement. After saving the settings and rebooting the PC is sticking on boot with "b2" in the bottom right hand corner. The unit will hang in this state for a minute or 2 then show a graphical glitch for a half second then reboot. From the bit of research I've done it seems as if the GPU isn't being recognized for some reason any longer, there is a PNY GTX 770 4GB in there presently. Unfortunately the MSI motherboard (model number escapes me at the moment) does NOT have onboard video to test and see if I can get it to boot up that way. Seeing about picking up a cheap card and throwing it in there tonight for further troubleshooting but hoping there is something else I can try if that doesn't sort the issue out. I have followed the CMOS reset instructions in an effort to clear the Bios to see if I can get it to boot but to no avail. Pressing the "Del" key to get into the bios before this lockup happens does nothing unfortunately, it says entering settings at the bottom left but never gets to the screen

Any help would be much appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's hard to be helpful without knowing anything about your computer...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine that ever since Windows 8, switching from BIOS to UEFI completely ruins the bootchain that the operating system is expecting. You'd have to reinstall your OS under UEFI to have a chance at getting everything in order.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
If a system is in UEFI mode with the UEFI->legacy BIOS Compatibility Support Module disabled, the firmware within the GPU needs to include an UEFI driver module as well.
The traditional Video BIOS is 16-bit code, and useless for UEFI boot which expects a GPU with a standard UEFI framebuffer interface instead of dumb old 80x25 character text mode on boot.

PNY's webpages for PNY GTX 770 4GB did not mention anything about UEFI-compatibility, so I'm afraid it doesn't have it and so it won't work.
(Well, in theory, if you set up everything 100% correct in advance, the system might be able to boot without recognizing the GPU until the operating system starts up the graphics drivers. But that would leave you with a system that can be effectively bricked by any OS boot issue, so I cannot recommend such a fragile set-up for anyone.)

Previously, I had an Asus GTX 670, which originally did not support UEFI. Asus provided a GPU firmware ("Video BIOS") upgrade that included UEFI support. Looks like PNY doesn't have anything like that available for GTX 770.

• Locked thread