Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This show rocks, also the op moving through each villain in order is a nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It took me a depressingly longer time scrolling through the comments than i wanted for someone to poo poo on the awful western release schedule.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It took me a depressingly longer time scrolling through the comments than i wanted for someone to poo poo on the awful western release schedule.
"Ever heard of Binge Watching? American Audience wouldn't be pleased with weekly episodes as its been polled and experimented with and found to have negative results"
- Some dumbass in YouTube

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please remember that due to some sports-related event or some-such, there won't be a Kakegurui until August 19th (though apparently, they'll be broadcasting episode 7 on the 20th, so you have that to look forward to)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sports are animes natural predator

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Only the majestic sports animes, with their protective coloration, have evolved to live and even thrive in the shadow of sports. Truly, zey are a miracle of nature.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Okay, I watched it twice and I still don't get it.

How did Mary completely change the value of her debt during that game?

There was a lot of explanation, but I didn't quite follow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If I understood correctly, she put herself in debt to their guy friend before the game and then he gave the money back afterwards, while Yumeko only risked part of her debt, so she and Yumeko had reversed debt numbers for purposes of the game. Then they traded the plates showing their debts before sitting down so the numbers appeared to be what everyone else expected.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Observe Me posted:

Okay, I watched it twice and I still don't get it.

How did Mary completely change the value of her debt during that game?

There was a lot of explanation, but I didn't quite follow.

Explained here

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wark Say posted:

"Ever heard of Binge Watching? American Audience wouldn't be pleased with weekly episodes as its been polled and experimented with and found to have negative results"
- Some dumbass in YouTube

Yeah I saw that, which is hilarious because lol if they think anime fans want binge watching current anime

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah I saw that, which is hilarious because lol if they think anime fans want binge watching current anime

Yeah, anime fans in general don't want that. The mass market on the other hand, does. To the average viewer, a show might only grab their attention once or twice on Netflix, but they'll sit and watch a whole bunch during a shortened timeframe. To someone actually interested in the genre or the medium in the case of anime, they'd be more willing to watch week after week. It makes perfect sense from a commercial point of view, which is a shame. gently caress Amazon though for putting up a double paywall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I want that.

I mean I realize it's not how anime production works at all and sitting on a show that's airing weekly in another country is dumb as hell, but in general, watching television shows weekly sucks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want that.

I mean I realize it's not how anime production works at all and sitting on a show that's airing weekly in another country is dumb as hell, but in general, watching television shows weekly sucks.
I think the ReLIFE anime was released all in one go?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want that.

Unless it changes they're just encouraging piracy, and let's be real these anime are not for the average Netflix viewer but the anime fan, because anime is still pretty niche.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Heads up, Episode 6 is out, look in the usual places. So, guns at school and wearing the stripper version of a catholic schoolgirl uniform is a common thing in this place. Also, the StuCo Prez is a scary, predatory-rear end ball of crazy. Holy poo poo, I couldn't tell who knocked it out the park further, Mariya Ise as crazy, gun-toting eyepatch girl or Miyuki Sawashiro because :drat:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta say, I don't remember them caressing each others faces in the manga.

This is a fun match and semi-spoiler:if you're observant enough you can work out the trick a head of time.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 13, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I liked the part where the student council concluded that Jabami gambles like a crazy person because she's secretly rich, instead of because she's crazy.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 13, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, now I'm wondering what's actually in Yumeko's Life Plan. Mary's was a pretty conventional "marry an older guy, help him in his career, have kids" kind of thing but there's no guarantee that Yumeko's is anything like that. If the Council President is really on the ball it'll be something exotic like "dominate gambling in Macau, become mastermind of a criminal empire" or something else attractive to Yumeko rather than something boring like "get married".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

I liked the part where the student council concluded that Jabami gambles like a crazy person because she's secretly rich, instead of because she's crazy.
It's not like they're mutually exclusive. I mean, we have the fingernail-loving girl, a guy who seems okay with traumatizing methods of bullying / (potentially) raping female students, scary-rear end lolis, gun-toting psychos and the StuCo Prez (Kirari, I think?). I don't doubt for a second that Yumeko is, in fact, rich as hell (she does have the whole "demure-looking Ojou-sama" look going on when she's not having gamblegasms), but she's also crazier than a poo poo-house rat. What I'm trying to say here is that this is basically the pot calling the kettle black.

The glasses dude voiced by Sugita is the craziest one, isn't it?

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Wark Say posted:

It's not like they're mutually exclusive. I mean, we have the fingernail-loving girl, a guy who seems okay with traumatizing methods of bullying / (potentially) raping female students, scary-rear end lolis, gun-toting psychos and the StuCo Prez (Kirari, I think?). I don't doubt for a second that Yumeko is, in fact, rich as hell (she does have the whole "demure-looking Ojou-sama" look going on when she's not having gamblegasms), but she's also crazier than a poo poo-house rat. What I'm trying to say here is that this is basically the pot calling the kettle black.

The glasses dude voiced by Sugita is the craziest one, isn't it?

Nah. He's just a giant arrogant bastard. Most shots in the comic has him doing the pushing his glasses up thing with his middle finger so it looks like he is basically constantly flipping everyone off.

His goal is to become StuCo Pres. Though considering who he has to compete for that and everything would probably make him a bit crazy too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sane people can't get very far in the high school for Deranged Wealthy Gambling Addicts.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think the stuff about her personal life devalue her character because she's not a force of God and nature here to destroy the leisure class anymore, just a rich girl with too much time on her hands

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think she's just a Rich Girl with too much time on her hands. My theory is that Yumeko used to be a normal gal who was just minding her business when out of nowhere her previous life just went up in flames, so she decided that she might as well enjoy herself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My guess was that it's going to be revealed that she isn't rich at all and needs money to pay for her sister's treatment but that's fine because it only makes gambling more exciting. :syoon:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If she actually had depts to pay i doupt shed be going after the most dangerous players in school like some thrill seeking lunatic. There are much safer ways to get rich quick in the school and shes clearly smart enough to know them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if yumeko was just there to make money she could have bilked the mooks with ease. whether or not she has some other purpose for going to the crazy person school, thrillseeking is still her top priority.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, Ikishima! :stonk:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo, Ikishima! :stonk:

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding :stonk:

That unidentified splash, too
That was a step above :stonk::stonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They just totally defanged the penalty for losing, 3 episodes into the show. It would make absolutely no sense to do that if they weren't going to up the stakes almost immediately afterwards.

I've read some of the manga, and I actually don't mind the whole "situation allows for some losing and doesn't require the protagonist always win" aspect, since it makes things less predictable.

What I do mind is that the matches haven't been that interesting. So far the solution is usually just one person randomly noticing the other person was cheating, often in highly unrealistic ways (the one with switching the debt panels has been the only interesting one so far).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 20, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ytlaya posted:

I've read some of the manga, and I actually don't mind the whole "situation allows for some losing and doesn't require the protagonist always win" aspect, since it makes things less predictable.

What I do mind is that the matches haven't been that interesting. So far the solution is usually just one person randomly noticing the other person was cheating, often in highly unrealistic ways (the one with switching the debt panels has been the only interesting one so far).

Same. I enjoy the show for what it is, but I honestly don't enjoy the gambling aspect that much because the gambles aren't good and don't have significant stakes to them (because the stakes are things that would matter to us, but don't really to Yumeko).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So far, I enjoy the show for what it is: Sports/Battle Manga meets (Cute) Crazy Girls Doing (Cute) Crazy Things. I am not touching the manga until the anime is done, and from the looks of it, I'm thinking that the anime is either:
  • Getting a second season (my theory is that Yumeko will go against the entire student council).
  • Getting an anime-original ending (which would suck, but them's the breaks)

Poulpe posted:

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding :stonk:

That unidentified splash, too
That was a step above :stonk::stonk:
That was on the level of Prison School (which is part of why I am enjoying this silly anime so much).

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Funnily enough I follow a YouTube channel called Mother's Basement, the latest video was comparing Kakegurui to Kaiji and basically saying that the problem with the former is either the stakes are too low to matter or so high they can't actually have Yumeko lose or there's no more story, while Kaiji manages to ramp things up to bets that are extreme but not deadly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anime_Otaku posted:

Funnily enough I follow a YouTube channel called Mother's Basement, the latest video was comparing Kakegurui to Kaiji and basically saying that the problem with the former is either the stakes are too low to matter or so high they can't actually have Yumeko lose or there's no more story, while Kaiji manages to ramp things up to bets that are extreme but not deadly.

Yeah, this is an awful gambling anime, but it's a highly enjoyable one about crazy people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Geoff is one of the few Anime-centric YouTubers that I like (Gigguk, Super Eyepatch Wolf and the Canipa Effect are the other ones I can remember right now) and I haven't watched his videos concerning this anime, even when one of them is specifically about the OP and that's basically the thing that made him internet-famous and one of the reasons I started following his channel. The reason is that I'm concerned that both videos are super spoiler-y and I want to avoid that for the time being.

e: Also, has anyone else commented on just how good the voice acting is? I know a lot has been said about Saori Hayami knocking it out of the park as Yumeko and how she's basically doing a character with a voice range very unlike what she's used to doing (even when I like her usual range), but holy hell are the other ladies bringing her A-Game. Mariya Ise as Midari is delightfully cray-cray, and Miyuki Sawashiro as the StuCo Prez sounds predatory as gently caress, just for the bigger names in this (Bro Sugita has been sadly underused on this, though :()

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 20, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
I was thinking about the gambles in this show (specifically in comparison to Akagi who I think is a much better comparison than Kaiji, because Kaiji is only really good at what he does when he's backed into a corner. Akagi is, like Yumeko, the crazy thrill-seeker.)

The first gamble in Kakegurui is RPS with cards. Unbeknownst to Yumeko, the number of each card is deliberately skewed so there are very few scissors, only Rock and Paper, therefore playing Paper is basically safe. Yumeko deduces that this is what's going on, because Mary plays paper every drat time. Yumeko, knowing that Mary plays paper every time, plays scissors. But that just amounts to "Yumeko realises what card would let her win. She gets that card, and wins."

So let's compare this to Akagi vs Yagi, Akagi's first real game of Mahjong.

Akagi knocks over one of his tiles by accident, which shows Yagi what Akagi is waiting for (a man tile), so man tiles are dangerous, dora tiles are 100% safe. Yagi plays a dora tile, which is what Akagi actually needed, because his wall wasn't set up in the normal way, but in a way that would mislead Yagi into cutting a Dora tile.

The difference between these two things is that Yumeko wins because her opponent follows the "optimal strategy", and Yumeko happens to luck out and draw the card she needs to break her opponent.

Akagi instead makes something that looks like an amateur move, baiting his opponent into making something that looks like a safe move, but isn't.

Had Akagi been transported into Kakegurui and had to play Mary, he would have made her think he had scissors and was going to play it, baiting her into playing rock (which he could then eat with paper). He wins by exploiting his opponents, which is a lot more interesting than winning because you drew the right card and had intuited your opponent's strategy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the difference is that yumeko doesn't particularly care if she wins or loses but then mostly wins anyway. it's not the most gripping narrative, but the scary crazy ladies are entertaining enough to make up for it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I feel like the gambling itself isn't really the point of the show anyway.

It's not like they really bother to explain the rules half the time.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I feel like the gambling itself isn't really the point of the show anyway.

It's not like they really bother to explain the rules half the time.

my eyes kinda glaze over when they do

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the difference is that yumeko doesn't particularly care if she wins or loses but then mostly wins anyway. it's not the most gripping narrative, but the scary crazy ladies are entertaining enough to make up for it.

I want to see one of these stories where the crazy gambling thrill-seeker loses to the extent where crawling out of the hole is impossible (which Yumeko has almost done; from what I understand she would have been totally hosed if the stuco had decided to immediately collect the 300M or whatever) and is then shown years later regretting having been such a dumb fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Geoff is one of the few Anime-centric YouTubers that I like (Gigguk, Super Eyepatch Wolf and the Canipa Effect are the other ones I can remember right now) and I haven't watched his videos concerning this anime, even when one of them is specifically about the OP and that's basically the thing that made him internet-famous and one of the reasons I started following his channel. The reason is that I'm concerned that both videos are super spoiler-y and I want to avoid that for the time being.

Yeah, they're fun videos. The OP one is super spoilery, even for the manga, but I seem to remember the "Kakeguri is a terrible gambling anime" one avoided spoilers for anything that hasn't already appeared in the show with the exception of a couple of non-descript references that don't really spoil anything important.

• Locked thread