Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well drat. I guess he was good about keeping his personal life out of the news because I had no idea he was going through as much crap as he apparently was. I had him pegged as being pretty chill despite the angst in his music. Didn't see this one coming at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even though their new album is.............. well, really bad, the title track is just devastating, especially today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kaUvGSLMew

This whole thing didn't really hit me until I heard him sing the line "In the kitchen, one more chair than you need". drat.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still think Reanimation was also really cool conceptually and I listened to it again like a year ago and it holds up surprisingly well for what it is IMO.

Legit their second best album. I actually don't even own Hybrid Theory due to some combination of me being "too cool" for it when it came out, and just never really feeling like I needed to get it because of all the radio play. But Reanimation blew me away. The best remix album of all time by a long shot. (Hell, it even had dubstep before dubstep was cool -- see "A Place For My Head".) It felt more like an "album" than almost anything else they've done.

The exception of course being A Thousand Suns. Anyone who hasn't listened to that, do it now. It's their artistic peak and showed that they really had a hell of a lot of creative juice in them. Even their worst stuff is really well-produced and has a lot of attention to detail and the way things sound -- but this is the album where it all comes together into something that is really, without qualifiers, great music.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As a society we definitely want it both ways; when something like this happens we solemnly declare "It's true what they say, money and fame can't buy happiness" but when someone successful talks about depression we say "lol oh you poor celebrity, probably crying because you had to sell one of your yachts"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volkerball posted:

Slick and polished seems a weird descriptor when Chester had one of the most intense voices I've ever heard.

Surely on some level you must know what they're talking about though? Plus, even though Chester had an incredible scream, his voice was super polished for the melodic stuff. He could've been in a boy band if he wanted to.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Trying to prove that Linkin Park is actually hardcore is exactly the kind of thinking that led to The Hunting Party, which wasn't really a bad album, but it emphasized something that wasn't really the band's strength. Kind of like The Beatles trying to do a raw, stripped-down, "back to our roots" album with Let It Be. LP was at their best when they walked the fine line.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volkerball posted:

I don't think a lot of people liked their stylistic change, not that there was something inherent to their music from the get go that rubbed people the wrong way. Their first album was really well received.

Your anecdotes are different from my anecdotes and nothing will change that, but for what it's worth, I've got craploads of anecdotal evidence that there was a big backlash against Hybrid Theory when it came out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

LP's music is far from beyond reproach and you can even think a lot of it is manufactured (though the fact that the band chose to release a remix album of all things as their second project is pretty goddamn innovative and original and it features guest spots from people associated with and/or who'd worked with and/or been members of Dilated Peoples, Orgy, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Freestyle Fellowship, Korn, Deftones, amazingly enough Flight of The Conchords and I'm sure others I'm forgetting) just shows the wide range of influences and aspects LP tried to work into their music. One thing you can never accuse Linkin Park of ever is being samey from album to album, and whether you think that's true artistry or just skill at working what's popular and/or being good at putting otherwise mediocre work into an extremely slick package is I suppose up for debate, but either way, holy poo poo the effort they put in to what they did is more than a lot of the other artists they get unfavorably compared to ever do.

Even before I "allowed" myself to like LP, the fact that they took so long to put out a second album instead of striking while the iron was hot made me think "hmm, these guys really care about what they do."

massive spider posted:

I find nu metal interesting because hip hop mixed with metal doesn't sound like fundamentally a horrible experiment in theory and yet it became known as one.

I've always felt like this was overstated, although maybe you just "had to be there" to understand how different it was at the time. Korn's first 2 albums definitely fit that description best, with the bass and percussion being more prominent than usual and the guitar doing all kinds of weird effects. (But they were not, of course, "rap metal".) But starting with Follow The Leader they were transitioning to more of what I'd call "alternative metal" with only a few hints of hip-hop. Sure, there were songs with guest rappers, but those weren't so much a new genre as they were one-off genre experiments. And most other artists in the subgenre followed suit. The "hip-hop influence" was mostly an image/culture thing rather than really being evident in the music.

Linkin Park probably had more hip-hop influence than any other rock band since then, but I'd say they dabbled more in electronica. They had rap, but that's a style of vocalization more than a style of music.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ah. So it's come to this.

I too enjoyed the AV Club's reevaluation of Limp Bizkit. They really were like the "hair metal" of nu metal. At times, Durst's lyrics and delivery are too annoying to ignore; but for the most part, thanks to the always-solid instrumentation, it's usually fun music for when you're feeling belligerent about something. Which tends to happen less as I get older, but there are still moments here and there...

I actually really, legitimately liked The Unquestionable Truth Part 1 when it came out, and this was already long past the point where the band has become a joke. They shot themselves in the foot (as Durst was prone to do) by talking up Rage Against The Machine influences and stuff, and a few of the songs don't hold up -- I cringe when I hear the line "White kids who ain't white anymore" even though I don't think it was intended as some kind of alt-right thing. But most of it still sounds fantastic; Ross Robinson seems to have a golden touch when it comes to nu-metal, because the band sounded every bit as energetic as they did on Three Dollar Bill Y'all.

I never thought after Chocolate Starfish and whatever the hell the album after that was, they'd put out something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGednQsQ-h8

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"DEDICATED TO YOU, BEN STILLER!
YOU ARE MY FAVORITE MOTHAFUKKA!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Puddle of Mudd would be Post-Grunge, right? I mean they came about 5 years after Kurt Cobain died and definitely wanted to be Nirvana, so I'd think they'd fit the bill. Anyway, they definitely had a handful of not-terrible songs.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

filk and contemporary christian are worse but red state radio rock is definitely up there

Well, "Contemporary Christian" basically means "whatever was popular 5 years ago" so it's pretty nebulous.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hypersleep posted:

I don't know what else is going on with most of the nu-metal bands. Slipknot and Disturbed apparently still exist somehow. I was never a Korn fan but I had a good laugh when they released a loving dubstep album. Talk about the stink of desperation.

Nah, I think The Stink of Desperation is the title of their next album.

The dubstep album was actually pretty good, save for a few facepalm lyrical moments. Obviously it's hard to consider it a "pure" Korn album since there are so many producers' hands in it, but at this point in their careers, "pure" left town a long time ago. This was at least something that sounded different from anything else, a real genre fusion experiment rather than half-hearted "dubstep influences".

The 2 albums after that have been the most dire of their career by far, though. Head actually came back, but you can't even tell because it's so overproduced it somehow sounds more mechanical than the dubstep album. Beyond that though, the songwriting has gone off a cliff. It's just lifeless and generic. They obviously peaked a long time ago, but until the last 2 albums I've always found just enough interesting stuff on each album.

The one they eye-rollingly called Korn III, produced by Ross Robinson, was actually just on the verge of simultaneously recapturing their old energy and pushing them to new places. But they never quite got there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They never printed their lyrics, so most of what's on lyric sites is pure guesswork. I'm pretty sure those are wrong. I don't suppose the real lyrics are much better though.

(For example though, "I'm not the time" in the above lyrics is actually just the word "anesthetize" repeated again)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is there any sentence that produces more mixed feelings than...

"So, Stone Temple Pilots have released a new song."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wln-KgIeA

There's nothing wrong with it I suppose. Unless you count the "babby's first graphic design" cover art.

If you can't listen right now but you're just dying to know: yes, the new singer is doing a mid-period Scott Weiland impression.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think it's broadly any band that sounds kind of grungey but started (or started in earnest) after Nirvana was already popular.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Stone Temple Pilots is out. Which describes both the general facts of the album and its title. (Yes, their last album was also self-titled.)

It was good background music that basically sounded like STP. Didn't reach out and grab my attention much. So it goes.

Also -- I guess this is kinda the place to talk about grunge type stuff in general, and the Chris Cornell deadthread is locked... Anyway, this is a few weeks old now, but I listened to it again today and drat, does it pack a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06uzVCFsoE

It's Johnny Cash's words, but it's still dripping with implications, intentional or not.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volkerball posted:

Also muse is gearing up for a new album. Their single is probably my favorite song from the last few albums combined, not that that's saying much. When I first heard the studio version I thought they kinda sucked the life out of it, and that it would be much better live. Definitely the case.

That's the case for Muse for a few albums at this point. I'm pretty sure they switched to completely overdubbed/triggered drums with The 2nd Law which certainly didn't help. Some of the rockier tracks on Drones that threatened to actually be listenable were neutered by the production. Almost as bad as the drum tracks on Metallica's last album.

I mean, it totally works for a spacey track like "Dead Inside" or pseudo-dubstep like "The Handler". But not so much when they're going for prog metal.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 7, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting tidbits about SOAD:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/why-system-of-a-down-havent-put-out-an-album-in-13-years-699076/

The gist of it is: Serj was never even a really big fan of metal to begin with, and got disenchanted with the whole process of making SOAD records, earlier than most of us would've guessed. He barely even wanted to put out Mezmerize/Hypnotize and was often unhappy with the end result when he would bring his songs to the band. There was an attempt to end their "hiatus" at some point but it just never worked out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Vines definitely have a lot of Nirvana influence (obviously), but the resulting sound isn't really "Post-Grunge" somehow.

I like them more than most people do. I think their first album got overhyped as the savior of Rock & Roll and then there was an inevitable backlash. All they really did was solid rock music that didn't reinvent the wheel, but had a really great sense of melody. I stuck with them through their 4th album which was independently released, but the one after that didn't really grab me, I guess I felt like they finally ran out of ideas.

Having a song called "Autumn Shade [#]" on almost every album is the weirdest gimmick, but it's a pretty drat good series of songs regardless.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat, I'm seeing reports all over that Jonathan Davis's wife died. That's awful. I hadn't followed much about Korn or their members lately, but apparently there was a lot of bad stuff going on there. She was in and out of rehab and he filed a restraining order against her.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is this still the best place to talk about Muse? Because they've got a new album coming out!

Hey, why is everyone just looking around nervously instead of being excited?

https://twitter.com/muse/status/1035170111768997891

1. Algorithm
  2. The Dark Side
  3. Pressure
  4. Propaganda
  5. Break It To Me
  6. Something Human
  7. Thought Contagion
  8. Get Up and Fight
  9. Blockades
  10. Dig Down
  11. The Void

Haha wow. It looks like maybe, just maybe, they're finally going all-in on the goofiness. None of the tracks released so far have been especially interesting, but it's gotta be better than Drones, right?

I'm kinda shocked that "Dig Down" made the tracklist, though. I thought that was a crappy B-side that they threw at the Blade Runner soundtrack just because. Unless they've reworked it, that doesn't bode well...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

That's why you are banned from Starbucks

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wandler20 posted:

Everyone's favorite Nu-Metal band released a new song today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3v5yMF1hTs

I've liked Korn probably way longer than I should, but I think they've finally lost me. It's not terrible, just very meh. Basically like they have been since the dubstep collab album, which had plenty of cringe moments, but I honestly liked quite a bit. It was really different from anything else and it largely worked. But since then, they've just settled on really generic metal with generic production.

At the very least, at this point they're a band that sinks or swims entirely based on their producer.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well we're talking about 2019 Billy Corgan so...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Against my better instincts, I'm actually starting to anticipate the new Korn album??? The new single "Can You Hear Me" is right up my alley, and the last one ("Cold") was pretty good too. My reaction is gradually doing a 180 from how I felt after the first single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC59-CHjkfU

It depends on your tolerance for big-rear end choruses, but man, that is one big-rear end chorus. Not much else to it, but it doesn't overstay its welcome. It has that spacey Untouchables vibe that I'm a sucker for, but slightly less overblown. The other 2 songs don't really have that, but who knows. My interest is piqued again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Korn album trip report: yeah, I actually kind of dig this. It feels like their first "real" album in about 10 years. It especially starts and ends really strong -- best album closer they've done in ages, even though it's short. Sprinkled throughout are a few mediocre tracks that sound like everything else they've done lately, but there's enough variety and raw emotion here that I'm looking forward to listening again, which hasn't been true for at least 2 albums. It all holds together pretty well and feels like it tells a story, even though I feel weird about praising that because of how tragic the story is.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Listening to the Hybrid Theory reissue, I'm struck by how the more hip-hop type stuff has overall aged better than the rock stuff. It reinforces my belief that they ultimately would've been better served by leaning on that stuff a little more -- at least artistically, maybe not commercially. In my head there's a better version of the album that's balanced a little differently. Then I realize it actually already exists and it's called Reanimation. (Still, "Step Up" really slaps.) I'm glad they eventually nailed it down on A Thousand Suns.

I'm surprised this still has all the same profanity edits as what was already released. I guess they either didn't have the originals or just didn't have the resources to remix them. It's funny because "X-Ecutioner Style" gets an Explicit tag anyway, at least on YT Music. The attached lyrics text have the swears even though the actual track doesn't.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Against all odds, Korn has made 2 really good albums in a row.

Requiem is a bit short (9 tracks, barely 33 minutes) but it also doesn't really have any duds on it, though I'm still not really feeling "Penance To Sorrow". I'm also not in love with the mixing. But everything else about it is solid. It's interestingly sort of hopeful and striving for something positive even though it's still knee-deep in grief and heaviness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQL0ZxaVRhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUMQcquDTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ddF13TvE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEY2nS3yunY

(Fieldy is on indefinite hiatus from the band now, which might have something to do with why it's so short, but he still worked on all the tracks.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 9, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6triaXq-g

Happy 20th birthday to Reanimation, the best remix album I've ever heard and an album that lived in my Discman when I was younger. RIP Chester.

Word. This is 100% always the album I come back to when I want an example of a remix album that isn't just a cash grab. So much so that I honestly prefer it to the original by a wide margin. However, it also wouldn't have had as much impact if I hadn't already heard the originals on the radio 24/7. It kind of has the feeling of a really great concert. There's necessarily a little less angst because they're revisiting the songs rather than just totally baring their soul, and they gave themselves permission to go wild with electronics, instrumental variety, and playing with the song structures instead of making 3-minute hard rawk songs. It pretty neatly addresses all the things that I, personally, didn't like about the original.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I listened to Reanimation way more than HT proper, it felt like the only album that had the balance of hip-hop to rock that I really wanted out of LP and also had Hi Voltage and My December which my copy of Hybrid Theory didn’t have. It’s probably my second favorite album of theirs after A Thousand Suns

It's funny how scared they, or most likely their record label (I haven't extensively researched this), were of having too much hip-hop in the finished version of HT. The reworked version of High Voltage pretty much had all of the swagger drained out of it compared to the original EP, and even then it was only permitted to be a B-side.

I agree that Reanimation and A Thousand Suns are the 2 ideal Linkin Park albums. Obviously they're pretty different in a lot of ways, but they share a spirit of experimentation and willingness to take risks with song structures and stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sounds like we may finally get those final Soundgarden recordings.

https://pitchfork.com/news/soundgarden-and-vicky-cornell-settle-yearslong-legal-disputes/

They describe "7 recordings" so I guess that's 7 songs?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd urge you to give A Thousand Suns at least one more try, I think it's really something special. (It's also kind of short, so that helps.) It took a lot of flak at first for being admittedly a little pretentious, but the flow of the tracks is just so good.

Living Things has its share of bangers, though it's certainly less ambitious. It's LP simply being LP again, just with a tad more maturity.

Hunting Party is pretty good but they really shot themselves in the foot with the whole "we're gonna make REAL ROCK MUSIC" thing. Really it just amounted to limiting their sonic palette for no good reason.

One More Light is a really sad way for them to go out, because yeah, it's quite awful. The best thing about LP was how they brought a pop sensibility to hard rock music -- there was an interesting clash going on there. But when they did actual pop music it just sounded like every other pop music.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Get ready for some mixed feelings, because it looks like Queens Of The Stone Age might be gearing up for something. They keep posting "It's our special week!" and they seem to have a new logo. (They didn't bother updating it on Twitter though)

Rumor has it there will be a new album called In Times New Roman but I'm not really plugged into the fanbase enough anymore to know where exactly the news sites are getting that from.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vegastar posted:

Short version is somebody accidentally published the album preorder page at some point last week with all the art, vinyl colorways, track listings, etc and a bunch of folks managed to save it before it got taken back down.

Here’s the cover art and one of the vinyl images with the back cover/track list https://postimg.cc/gallery/9TRpy4Z

Although my opinion of Josh Homme has certainly taken a beating in recent years, there's no way I won't give this a listen. That album art gives me Eagles Of Death Metal vibes, which isn't exactly a good thing, but well, whatever.

EDIT: Yep, officially new music as evidenced by this very brief clip:

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1655922193149366272?t=MXYa-oCB28lfND88SiEyDQ&s=19

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 9, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

New single is floating around out there now. I like it a lot, but ymmv

I'm getting a very good first impression. Cool production, great bass sound, chaotic riffs, mellow Rated R-style chorus. Also appears to not be either of the teaser clips.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

Oh sweet, so it doesn't sound like Villains? I remember not liking that album at all (don't think I've listened to it since it first came out, though) but I love QOTSA's earlier stuff.

It's hard to say because I don't know how to pinpoint the sound of Villains, other than that the songs just weren't very interesting. It definitely sounds like QOTSA but not one specific album. Which is good!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love The Evil Has Landed, unfortunately it feels like they used up the whole album's worth of riffs in that one song. Not that I'm Mr. Guitar Guy or whatever, I can dig the more subdued stuff, but to me the songs were just missing compelling hooks, dynamics, and surprises in general. Also for the first time, I found Josh Homme kind of annoying. There was a too-clever-for-my-own-good vibe to a lot of the lyrics and delivery. Like the guy from Cake.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's officially out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIejWJ1rsgU

Album releases June 16th which is, uh, not long from now! Just a few weeks behind Foo Fighters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bumhead posted:

Nu-metal friends, what's the general consensus on Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror (2003)?

I recall Untouchables releasing at a time when I was starting to pick up interests in other things, which tracks because by 2003 I was clearly completely out of the loop with anything Korn were doing. I've never even heard of this album before, much less listened to it (or anything else they've done since).

I stumbled into it by complete accident this week and have found it hard to put it down. It's got such a rumbling consistency to it that I don't recall any of their other albums having even back in the day when I was well into self titled/LIP/FTL/Issues. It's very rare that I listen to an album start to finish these days without picking out any obvious duds, especially at first.

Am I tasteless chud or does this album actually slap? And should I continue with all the other poo poo they've done since 2002?

I haven't listened to it in a while. It's probably the first one I ever bought with my own money and was really excited about during the lead-up, so I definitely had a predisposition to like it, though I think some of that excitement faded with time. I should listen to it again, it's probably still pretty good. Just going off memory, here are my thoughts:

- definitely could've been mixed better, the cymbals and bass string sounds are a bit grating (this was a common complaint at the time, though a bit overblown IMO)
- not exactly their best songwriting, however it did have way better bridges than Issues or Untouchables (or anything since) -- they didn't just fiddle around for a few seconds and then go back to the chorus
- Nas feature is a bit of a letdown
- Y'all Want A Single is fun even though it's kind of a boring topic of yelling at the industry and trying to be edgy for no reason
- as a whole, the album sort of overcompensates for Untouchables being "overproduced" but it's not bad, just a little unbalanced
- kind of feels like a sequel to Life Is Peachy

Also, fun fact: back in those days I was still a bit Pollyanna so I bought clean versions of albums when possible. However, on this one they made a pretty big mistake on the final track "When Will This End" and the vocal track started on a different beat. But it actually sounded pretty good and to this day I'm not sure which one I prefer. (Funny enough, there's only a single "poo poo" edited out near the end of that one and the rest could've stayed as-is.)

EDIT: Oh, as for the rest of what they've done since then, here are more quick takes:

- See You On The Other Side - First album without Head, pretty overproduced due to the inclusion of some more mainstream producers, but still some great tracks. Bonus tracks are just as good as the main album and they definitely could've reworked it a bit to include those and leave other out IMO
- [untitled] - I stanned this one when it came out, but I dunno if it holds up. Has 3 different drummers to replace David. Probably can pick out a few strong tracks and ditch the rest.
- Korn III - Ross Robinson production is excellent and probably the best the band has ever sounded sonically. Unfortunately the songwriting isn't really there to back it up. Still fun to listen to though.
- The Path of Totality - The dubstep one. I admire the attempt. It's undeniably pretty unique and I mean, it works, even if it's not what anyone really wanted. "Get Up", "Narcissistic Cannibal" and "Let's Go" still go super hard.
- The Paradigm Shift - Head is back but they somehow sound like less of a band than ever. Mostly skippable.
- The Serenity of Suffering - Some people liked it, I bounced off it. Just seemed like more of the same.
- The Nothing - Their best album since Untouchables.
- Requiem - Almost more like a coda to The Nothing than a fully realized separate album, but quality level is about the same.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obu-R8kuz3w

Another "new" Linkin Park song that apparently dates back to 2006, once again showcasing how powerful Chester's screams were.

Well, this one has been around for a while, I think I even heard it on the radio once. Not familiar enough to know how different this recording sounds if at all.

Also, even though the last one they released (Friendly Fire) was a One More Light reject and I really did not like the direction they went on that album, drat if I haven't had that chorus stuck in my head on and off for weeks. Even at their worst they were incredible at writing melodies.