Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So Chester Bennington killed himself this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

financially racist posted:

i always thought linkin park's amateurish songrwiting was a dead giveaway that chester was not actually depressed and just sang that poo poo to tap into a market.

never liked the band at all but now i feel bad for wrongly talking so much trash about how fake their angst was. depression sucks and suicide is not the way anyone should go ever.
I feel the same way. I absolutely loathe Linkin Park and this came completely out of nowhere for me. Most people's reactions that I've seen are similar to how I felt when Chris Cornell died, so I'm avoiding making an rear end of myself about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ofecks posted:

What exactly is "post-grunge"? I saw a few posts touching on this a couple pages ago, but I'm still not sure. Is it just the literal "after grunge" thing that was going on in the alt rock scene in the mid 90s? I'm familiar with the terms "post-punk" and "post-rock" which are kind of misnomers so cue confusion.

Stuff like Bush, Creed, Nickelback etc. that took the sound of grunge bands (mostly Pearl Jam) and watered it down.

Basically any band that appears on the CD compilations “Buzz Cuts” and “Buzz Ballads” or the soundtrack to the first Spider-Man movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kumba posted:

I've been re-listening to System of a Down's discography and forgot how awesome they were/are and am wondering if there's anything else along those same lines? I know of some of the weirder aspects of metal (stuff like uneXpect, Igorrr, etc)

What else should I check out

Pretty much anything Mike Patton has been involved with, particularly Mr. Bungle and FNM.

Maybe Dog Fashion Disco and Polkadot Cadaver.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
STP should be playing the county fair circuit at this point. I love the old stuff but it’s just getting sad without Weiland (and their reunion album with him sucked).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Vines are part of that garage rock revival movement of the early 2000s

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I still listen to get free

It was utilized well in Far Cry 5

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Nice. I know static x has a new album with old Wayne Static stuff in it, but how the hell are they planning on touring on that? loving projector or something?

I believe they have a guy who is effectively a Wayne Static impersonator with a mask.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Framboise posted:

Man. I've never been into Killswitch but Howard Jones is a loving solid singer. His voice is fantastic.

I’ve always thought he should be in a doom metal band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Tinley Park "in Chicago"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ofecks posted:

I've never been a fan of Cornell's voice from what I heard on the radio or saw on MTV, so I've never bought any of their albums.

That’s hosed up but I’m glad you are taking steps to rectify this situation. Superunknown and Badmotorfinger are among the best albums of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I'm always down to check out new QotSA but don't really need to pay Josh for anything these days. I saw them live once already and it was cool but honestly I forget I even did sometimes (maybe because it was a festival headliner set). Between Queens, Kyuss and Them Crooked Vultures I will admit that the dude has had a pretty important impact on my musical taste but he's a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I personally loved 'Gore'.

Gore was bleh but Ohms loving rules