Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's pretty awful and I still haven't the faintest loving clue if I should bother figuring it out. I'm going with "no" for now.

As long as you beeline through the main questline and unlock the level 2 tree ASAP so you can 2star your weapon schematics and keep them on par with harder content, you're likely in a good place.

I personally plan on branching out to every single "+5 backpack space" node that exists before doing much of anything else as well, because gently caress games with limited inventory and non-infinite item stacking.

I AM BRAWW posted:

I have to tear down every wall with my pickaxe...........................................
Yep. Hope you didn't start with metal or upgrade any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Are the weapon llamas worth it, or should I stick with the upgrade ones always, especially early on? Mainly trying to find legendary/epic/whatever handgun and sniper/assault rifles to upgrade/evolve and remain useful in missions above my rank.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

As a weapon type, are LMGs any good?

It's very tempting to max out this rare LMG BP (+40% magsize | +30% reload speed | -23% recoil | +10% damage /w energy type), but I made the mistake of maxing out a few epics early on and exp is in short supply so I want to ensure it's reasonably worthwhile.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

You can drop (insert building material here) into the shield's inventory. It starts with 5 open slots. This means you can run out to a random mission, harvest a full stack of (insert building material here), drop that stack in the shield's inventory, rinse and repeat until the shield inventory and your inventory are full, and you'll have 5994 of (insert building material here) to burn in one fell swoop.

You could also build it up in steps as you fill up on (insert building material here).

Quitting out of a mission instead of completing it doesn't penalize you in any way - you keep anything you've picked up.

They really need to uncap building mat stacks, or at least set the cap to 9999, even if it takes some node in the 3rd or 4th skill tree. 999 goes way too fast.

Would be nice if crafting mats stacked higher too. 99 is nothing.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Something that I personally would have wanted to know sooner that isn't actually spelled out anywhere (played a few days on standard before upgrading) is that if you buy one of the packs that includes heroes, you're able to play those hero classes immediately - without having to unlock them on the skill tree. Rather, it looks like they're passively "unlocked" in the background when you buy said pack, but you can still drop points in them on the skill tree to progress past them.

May save you some time if you want to start off as an outlander for maxloot.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

e: Well I tried 90 but it's far too much. They might be doing the stupid thing where you change the vertical FoV and not the horizontal.
If it's vertical, than 59 should give you 90d horizontal on a 16:9 panel. I personally like 110 horizontal so it'd be 78 for me. http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Edit it does appear to be vertical, yes, setting "Y" to 78 gave me a glorious massive increase in visibility and made zoom-in weapons not awful. Side effect seems to be you can zoom out way more on the map and the party screen is much smaller too. Not a bad thing though.

Akumos posted:

ini files to unfuck certain settings
Beautiful. I assume replace "Y" with the desired number? (yep, it's Y)

StabMasterArson posted:

I assume it gets more difficult
You assume correctly. At least the easy early game means you can succeed with crappy RNG from the llamas that quests/etc give you. You'll need to start paying attention to optimizing your loadout/squads toward the end of the 2nd area though.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 26, 2017

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

@Twib: the right defenders (gunslingers/snipers, others burn too much ammo) are incredibly useful in solo matches, setting up a good kill funnel also does most of the work for you

@Skan: added a few columns that seemed useful

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Apparently weapon DPS that shows in the armory is based on your currently active squads, so none of the numbers in that goon weapons spreadsheet (none of mine at least) are going to be accurate.

Too lazy to rip everyone out of their squads right now to copy out the base numbers. Change that column to rating maybe?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Radar towers are dumb and lovely and annoying and the person who forced you to build them all piece by piece after the first ~3 missions is a psychopath. poo poo needs a "build tower" baseplate that just takes howevermany resources and slowly constructs the entire thing automatically.

Tei posted:

If I want to want to wipe the whole map flat and build a borg cube with the face of George Whasington in it, what is the problem with that?

You can mostly do this in your persistent home base area, probably after you finish ranking it up to 10 so the shield is large enough and you don't have to worry about missing any "upgrade your shield" bonuses.

That said, there is apparently a maximum buildable items limit in a given area. So that might slow you down.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Akumos posted:

Read this before you buy llamas, or at least regular ones. The specific legendary llamas appear to be way more efficient for getting base upgrades, regular llamas are for upgrade materials with these rates.

Yeah, but we don't know the release frequency of the legendary llamas yet, do we? Can anyone who was in the alpha chime in about how often the legendary llamas showed up - was it weekly, monthly, etc?

If it's a monthly thing, and random chance between ranged, melee, and people, you could be stuck using non-legendary equipment for a looong time.

How does transformation work? Can you eventually upgrade stuff across tiers? Or are you stuck playing the llama game.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's incredibly irritating that I'm able to upgrade 2 different types of weapons to 3-star right now while I'm only on page 3 out of 13 of the plankerton storyline quests - which means that if I wasn't paying attention and pulled the trigger on an upgrade, I would be literally unable to make any of my "good" weapons for probably another 12-16+ hours of playtime due to being physically unable to get the resources they need. That's really poor design, as you aren't given any kind of warning or indicator that you're about to gently caress yourself.

Hell, I'm still short on the current-zone rare material (silver) and I go out of my way every few matches to run around and try to find more.

On a positive note, once you unlock research tree 2, both your "claimed" and "unclaimed" point limit massively increases so you don't have to worry about logging in every ~9.5 hours or risk losing research points. Unfortunately everything in the second tree starts out at 1600 points and goes up from there. I expect the next "generate points faster" node is in skill tree 3, which again, is going to be at least 12-16+ hours of playtime away. Whew.

Nechronic posted:

I tried to do some goofy poo poo with pathing but I don't know where the threshold is between "ok i'll try to walk around" and "gently caress it let's go straight through"

It feels like they updated the pathing AI to be "dumber" recently. Had several instances where they should have funneled into my death road but just attacked the closest wall block instead. Rather annoying, have stopped wasting resources on pre-building trap corridors in favor of just slapping down a few floors/spikes near enemy spawns on an ad-hoc basis.

Also if anyone else is using that Reshade thing from a page or two back, what are your custom settings/tweaks? Been playing around with it a bit and haven't really found any I strongly like yet. Using AdaptiveSharpen, HDR, Technicolor2 (turned way down), and Vibrance filters.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2017

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Out of the 15 llamas I got 2 rare rocket launchers, and out of a founder's llama (with founderbux from the 15) I got another one... did they just add explosive weapons to the droptable or something?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

WHY DOES EVERYTHING TAKE SO LONG TO KILL.

FORT stats? I'm sitting at 240/223/149/258 with level 20 rare/epic heroes and lv20 epic guns and poo poo's dying pretty fast. Make sure your hero squad (not survivor squads, but them too) is leveled up as well, they share some of their stats with you.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Consumable quest rewards that allow you to upgrade one item's rarity when? Make them super limited even, as a final quest reward for each zone or something. But let me get some guaranteed better poo poo every so often.

Akumos posted:

People who think shotguns are bad need to try epic/leg auto shotguns upgraded to lv15-20, esp with Energy conversion. Mag dumping that on bigger mobs is insane damage.
My main complaint about shotguns isn't their damage, although it tends to feel really anemic for most of them unless you're practically in melee range. No, my main complaint about every shotgun I've used so far is that they fall victim to the fucktarded "shotguns are a 70 degree damage cone in front of you lolololol" school of thought.

With very, very few exceptions, they can't reliably hit a drat thing more than 10 feet away. How is it that the only game in recent memory to actually do shotguns well is Halo CE?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

My main issue with progression at this point (~27 rating, 1/3 of the way through plankerton questline) is that the missions I need to be doing for my quests and that would give me more than a pittance of exp don't tend to have the materials I need (rain, mostly) to keep upgrading my heroes, weapons and survivors. So I have to decide whether I want to unlock more areas/continue the storyline, or be able to upgrade my stuff and stay at a reasonable powerlevel.

Tei posted:

I just don't like it because looks goofy and is annoying to be constantly reloading.

Playing as one of the soldier subclasses that have the 40% reload speed passive, and also slotting a squad hero with 20% reload speed passive does wonders for slow-reloading weapons like the shredder and other heavy weapons, or weapons you're going to be reloading all the time.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Tei posted:

My current base design. V shaped walls perimeter with player jumps.

I don't think traps will be very effective in this game, because is spiritual successor of Orcs must die. But I am wrong often :P

That's a pretty cool design. When lobbers/mortars start showing up, I'd add central walls and another level of roof to the top of the building (like a turtle shell) and probably extend the ground-level floors out one more tile with a full ring of ground spikes and 1-high walls to slow them down enough for easy gunplay.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

M2tt posted:

T3 mats are available in 34+ plankerton.

Can confirm this. Was loving around in a rank 40 match on my rank 26 looking for malachite and found an ore vein. Not that it matters because even if you 3star your weapons they're locked to the level 20 stats until you're at the 3rd skill tree.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, raindrops show up as rewards for missions in plank pretty often. I've actually been mostly farming them since I hit rating 30 and it started to be a pain to progress the main questline. It's really irritating that the reward for missions randomly changes though. I only want to rescue survivors and smash encampments for my raindrops, since other mission types suck.

I apparently have 3 friend codes from the packages I've bought so I guess I'm selling those to anyone who's interested in picking up the game at a discount. PC. Say $25 a pop?
Toss an email to dosh at sushibandit dot net to confirm and I'll send a paypal request. Would also take platinum+archives for one of them.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

So important information for anyone still playing this bad game. Damage % on weapons and traps is probably the worst roll possible because it's not an increase TO your base damage, it's an increase FROM your base damage. AKA 40% damage on your weapon is worth 40 offense points.

Elaborate, because I fail to see the difference between 40% and... 40%.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

Fortnite way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 4% more final damage.
Industry convention way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 40% more final damage.

Eh, it kind of makes sense from a "really strong early game, nonfactor late game" angle (40 offense points is huge when you only have ~120). Yeah it's lovely that they don't make it clear anywhere, but it's not like more damage is ever a "bad" thing, regardless of how little "more damage" you're getting.

If they ever implement a D3-like stat reroll system it's a good thing to know about though.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Aside from new/different gear items, there's not really much in the way of things they could really add aside from raw stats though.

I mean, I'd love to see skilltree-based recoil, ROF, reload, trap reload, max ammo capacity, etc. But I don't really see them changing it up much at this point.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Survival mode the dev update 2 talked about sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Spend up to a "fortnight" of ingame time with multi-wave-defense style gameplay where you gather and build during the day, then defend at night, with increasing rewards the longer you play.

I could see them bringing in schematics/heroes/etc as "final" tier rewards in this mode since it would take so long to complete a full round, which would at least partially resolve some major complaints about meaningful progression being paygated.

(am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the final reply the thread has been hung on for the last ~2 days is a skinner box gif?)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The entire game should be like this. Embrace absurdity and just let us wreck poo poo while having a good time.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Survivors/survivor squads as a mechanic are fine, as long as you're regularly getting more of them to burn so you can continue leveling and upgrading them to significantly boost your FORT stats (though the evolutionary material requirements are indeed pure cancer, I'll agree there). Defenders though - those are insta-burn for (piddling amounts of) hero xp. Incredibly useless feature. A simple wall with spikes on it is 10x more effective than a defender, and likely costs you fewer resources in the end.

Hoping this upcoming event (limited time? what the gently caress, why?) will be suitably fun. Had a bunch of friends already drop the game from the mobile-f2p-tier levels of p2w, and a bunch more who only log in for daily rewards / research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

STS is pretty fun and good overall, but I'd be absolutely sure to craft a few set of backup weapons, completely fill up on ammo, and stock up on everything else before starting a round. I played through the 3-day rank 40 mission and it burned through ~18k rounds of ammo and all of my crafting materials. Probably didn't help that the 3 pubbies were all rating 20 in a drat rating 40 mission.

I legitimately don't know how a group could physically stock up on enough supplies to last a 14-day match unless they had a dedicated outlander spending the entire time running around collecting stuff, and even in that case you'd eventually run out of ammo and the supplies to craft more. Maybe relying on extreme kill tunnels with lots of traps to take care of all the fodder? Will be interesting to see how people handle it.

Also of note:
* no bonus objectives
* it took almost an hour to play the 3-day mission
* rewards were 200 tickets and 2 green weapon schematics

• Locked thread