Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This game is Orcs Must Die combined with Minecraft and the styling of Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Important facts

- Standard edition is for chumps. You are paying full retail to play a F2P before it opens. At least you can pay to upgrade it to a better package.
- Backpack space is limited and shared with crafting materials. Recycle weapons, traps you don't care for. Throw away fireworks! (Not schematics, that's a different inventory limit).
- You can only see your backpack in a mission, so go to your storm shield if you need to.
- Go for the backpack space upgrades in skill tree and research.
- All the good rewards are from quests and time limited missions.
- Hero skills shown with a star and number are only available after "Evolution".
- Defenders throw away your weapons so don't give them anything good.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

You pay $60 to get 7 loot pinatas. You can't play the game for a year without spending but this package is paying for the privilege of experiencing the sharp end of the F2P model. If you really want to play go Deluxe. If you're not interested wait a year for more polish and content.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's pretty awful and I still haven't the faintest loving clue if I should bother figuring it out. I'm going with "no" for now.

The survivor system is pointless. It's just a stand alone stats book, it might have been good if you actually built a base and put people in it like State Of Decay.

Evolving anything that isn't at least Epic is a waste of resources. You'd get about 1/3 of the XP back if you later recycle it and gently caress all of the evolution materials.

Backpack space stinks. I have about 30 slots used with crafting items and that's after filling the 10 slots on my storm storage.

There are too many hero variations. They turned about three heroes worth of traits into nine heroes. Instead of making a talent tree they have put them in as individual characters to give more to collect.

The weapon variations do work ok but you make weapon XP too slowly to do anything but use the best few. I've got 32 blue or better weapons and only XP in 8.

Having to craft ammo will always be a bad idea. It's not really a problem if you remember to demolish all children's playgrounds/parking meters but I'd hate to make laser ammo with that bacon requirement.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 23, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You want two high level heroes with squad boosts you like in your squad slots to give your main 30% of their stats and their passive.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I am concerned reading about how bad the grind gets late game. Your supply of llamas, vbucks and skill points dries up and it costs a huge amount to upgrade all your survivor slots for better stats. You need to retire/recycle a lot of stuff or open a lot of llamas to get the manuals needed to evolve and buckets of XP.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Akumos posted:

If you maze/funnel strat is failing it's because you didn't build enough deterrents on the outside. You need to stack multiple walls.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6q486u/plankerton_shield_1_solo_0_shots_fired/

That lead me to finding this

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6pumyt/llamas_and_luck/

Total Golden Llamas: 52 which works out to about 5% of my llamas being upgraded.
Total Legendary+ items gained: 87 which works out to be around 1% of my items being legendary. These percentages feel low, but maybe there'll be more data on this in the future.

910 Upgrade Llamas
Legendary Heroes: 1

:eyepop:

Better save up that 1000 vbucks to buy guaranteed legendary llamas or it's very likely for you 1 in 20 goldens to give you a survivor.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Well the second area is like that too. Looks like redwoods then same old missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I need to up them. I seem to be low on those resources.

EDIT:

Whoa, okay.
I'm at 66, 58, 85 and 80. I'm doing something very wrong.

In offense, I only have ONE survivor that's a good fit and it's the lead. I have literally no other offense people.

I have 212, 182, 167, 115 at power 21 and it's still tough doing good damage in 23 missions with rare weapons in the teens. Looks like 3/4 of my stats come from survivor page so I think the rest is skill tree?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2017

• Locked thread