Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Problem description: I have a new MSI Codex (this one http://www.microcenter.com/product/470342/codex_x-032us_desktop_computer) running Win10 that is hooked up to a wired Ethernet connection, running through a VPN. My previous computer with this exact set-up never had connection problems. However, the new computer regularly drops connection. The error displayed in the troubleshooting dialogue is "Bad Gateway".

I can troubleshoot it using Windows' built-in app, which will reset the Ethernet Adapter, and temporarily fix the problem for about 10 to 20 minutes. However, after that time, the connection drops again.

If it matters, it seems like it stays connected slightly longer after a restart, but once the problem starts it becomes more frequent (I think, anyway, I haven't actually timed it).

Attempted fixes: Searching online, there are a few recommendations I've tried:
Disabling the VPN - this doesn't matter, the problem persists regardless of VPN status.
Disabling Anti-virus: I'm running a trial of Norton at the moment. I'm considering switching over to Windows Defender anyway, but running without Antivirus at the moment seems like a bad idea.
Updating the Ethernet Card drivers: did this. They WERE out of date, but after updating and restarting the problem has persisted.

Recent changes: This is a fresh system. No new software, apart from a few games, has been installed.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10, 64 Bit, up to date

System specs: MSI Codex, these specs: http://www.microcenter.com/product/470342/codex_x-032us_desktop_computer. My card is intel ethernet i219-v.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Uninstall Norton Antivirus and see if that fixes the problem. You should not use third-party antivirus software.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm, so I uninstalled Norton and switched to Defender, and the problem still persists. I also found a few suggestions through more googling that indicates it might be a number of settings on card, but I haven't tried changing those yet. Is it possible that the card is defective?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I contacted MSI tech support, and the guy on the other end had a pretty good idea: it seems like there might be two drivers running simultaneously, and that's causing the connection issues.

Here's a screenshot from my device manager screen,

He said that the (2) next to the driver name indicates that this is a redundant driver. Does that seem right to anyone else? His recommendation is to uninstall / delete this driver when the problem crops up again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
No, that doesn't make much sense, but it also wouldn't hurt anything to delete the adapter and let Windows re-detect it. Just to confirm, you did download and install the latest drivers from the Intel website?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alereon posted:

No, that doesn't make much sense, but it also wouldn't hurt anything to delete the adapter and let Windows re-detect it. Just to confirm, you did download and install the latest drivers from the Intel website?

Not the first time, no. I let the Windows automatic app take care of it. I now have the official Intel drivers sitting in my Downloads folder, however. Do you think it's a good idea to try installing them?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yes definitely, updating the drivers is always one of the early steps for troubleshooting.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even with the drivers from Intel, the problem is still there... this is really frustrating, because I love the system otherwise.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Randomly shuffled in here, read your issues, if you're still having problems could you check these things:
-keep a cmd.exe (or powershell if you prefer) open, doesn't need to be administrator. (just in case you're not aware: - press windows key -type cmd -press enter)
-run the following
ipconfig /all > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\working.txt
-when the problem occurs, do the following.
ipconfig /all > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\broken.txt
It might be an upstream device like your ISP router if you're not using anything too complex at home loving up. At least, it's a possibility considering the error refers to the gateway. The gateway settings etc. are shown in netstat -r, probably not too interesting but might be smart to collect anyway
-If you don't mind posting it also print (in the cmd.exe) netstat -r > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\netstat.txt

working.txt, broken.txt and netstat.txt are now on your desktop. I'd like to see those :)

two other things you can check
-open device manager (right click the start button, fifth from the top is the quickest way there)
-Find your NIC under network adapters
-double click it and find the power management tab.
-this is probably not it, but try to disable the option 'allow the computer to automatically turn off this device to save power' anyway. If it does nothing, put it back later.

-check event viewer (right click start, 3rd from top), open system tab under Windows logs or Administrative Events under custom logs to start. You're looking for errors (red) or warnings (yellow) a couple minutes before and after the connection drops for events. Depending on your PC this might be a lot of crap to wade through, but it might be simple enough. (obviously anything involving a NIC, NetAdapter,Network [...] is interesting but VPN and DHCP are also good to check out.)

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 25, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Binsby posted:

Randomly shuffled in here, read your issues, if you're still having problems could you check these things:
-keep a cmd.exe (or powershell if you prefer) open, doesn't need to be administrator. (just in case you're not aware: - press windows key -type cmd -press enter)
-run the following
ipconfig /all > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\working.txt
-when the problem occurs, do the following.
ipconfig /all > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\broken.txt
It might be an upstream device like your ISP router if you're not using anything too complex at home loving up. At least, it's a possibility considering the error refers to the gateway. The gateway settings etc. are shown in netstat -r, probably not too interesting but might be smart to collect anyway
-If you don't mind posting it also print (in the cmd.exe) netstat -r > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\netstat.txt

working.txt, broken.txt and netstat.txt are now on your desktop. I'd like to see those :)

two other things you can check
-open device manager (right click the start button, fifth from the top is the quickest way there)
-Find your NIC under network adapters
-double click it and find the power management tab.
-this is probably not it, but try to disable the option 'allow the computer to automatically turn off this device to save power' anyway. If it does nothing, put it back later.

-check event viewer (right click start, 3rd from top), open system tab under Windows logs or Administrative Events under custom logs to start. You're looking for errors (red) or warnings (yellow) a couple minutes before and after the connection drops for events. Depending on your PC this might be a lot of crap to wade through, but it might be simple enough. (obviously anything involving a NIC, NetAdapter,Network [...] is interesting but VPN and DHCP are also good to check out.)

Hey, thank you for this reply! I was considering doing some sort of diagnostic work next, but wasn't sure where to start. I've been traveling for the past week, and just got back to my desktop, so I'll give this a try tomorrow.

One sort of weird thing, is that I have Steam in the background downloading a game at the moment, and the connection hasn't dropped at all that entire time. Not sure what to make of that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, so after not having it happen for a few days it started happening again. I checked the event log in the driver, and nothing is in there aside from back in July when the problem started. I can post the error text if you're interested. I tried turning the power saver mode off, and I don't believe that made a difference.

So I ran both diagnostics, and here is working,

code:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-4TFN9PU
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter PIA:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-C8-29-C4-7A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::805:900a:dd74:98a0%17(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.9.10.6(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 4, 2017 12:09:40 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:09:40 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.9.10.5
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 419495880
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-53-EE-EC-4C-CC-6A-D8-CB-B9
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.222.18.222
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-D8-CB-B9
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f533:3abd:6481:1e66%19(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 4, 2017 12:08:49 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 5, 2017 12:08:49 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 491572330
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-8F

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-90

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-93

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2484:10b7:5210:2be2%13(Preferred) 
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 385875968
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Here is broken,

code:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-4TFN9PU
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter PIA:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-C8-29-C4-7A
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::805:900a:dd74:98a0%17(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.44.10.6(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 4, 2017 12:00:16 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:00:15 AM
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.44.10.5
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 419495880
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.222.18.222

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-D8-CB-B9
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f533:3abd:6481:1e66%19(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 4, 2017 12:01:06 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 5, 2017 12:01:05 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 491572330
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-8F

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-90

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-F0-05-26-EF-93

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Welp, I'm on holiday now but thanks for posting that. I'll try and think of a suggestion tomorrow. If you still have it, the error you saw would be nice to have

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Binsby posted:

Welp, I'm on holiday now but thanks for posting that. I'll try and think of a suggestion tomorrow. If you still have it, the error you saw would be nice to have

I don't have a screenshot handy, but the thing that pops up in the Windows automatic diagnostic is "bad gateway", I believe.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Well it's been a little longer, sorry bout that. Getting forgetful in the sun, though I did just google a little. Can't really make anything of the ipconfig output, except you're getting a brand new DHCP lease after the 'fix'/workaround, which I'd expect after the windows troubleshooting wizard tries disabling and re-enabling the adapter. That seems to work though and the same is reported by a bunch of people online. Didn't realize how widespread this issue was on this adapter, which has lessened my hopes of finding a semi-obvious fix a little. However, this thread seems interesting. It's obviously not a good solution long-term but if you don't get any issues when you fix the speed at 10Mbps instead of by auto-negotiating it to (supposedly) 100, you might want to try the transmit/receive buffer in the post I linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As an update, I switched to WiFi, and connectivity hasn't been a problem at all. That Intel thread is interesting, and it definitely seems like an odd bug to ship with. I'll keep that bookmarked in case I move back to a place where I need to use a wired connection. Thanks for your help!

• Locked thread