Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Most people are idealistic dreamers in their youth, pursuing one dream or another, seeking to become an "important" or "influential" person in some way...

But then most people settle down, have families, and do nothing. Some seem to remember the dream they gave up later in life, and have a mid-life crisis.

Maybe I'm just a young (22) know-nothing, but what is it that makes people give up? If you have something you're fighting for, if you've pledged to struggle onward toward that shining light... how can you suddenly put your burden down and resign yourself to nothingness?

What trap am I missing? What lies in wait to destroy the hopes of young humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
women

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
this weird thing inside my peehole, feels like something is in there kinda midway down the shaft

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yup.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Trump won, so IDK what it's like to not have all your dreams come true.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dongattack posted:

this weird thing inside my peehole, feels like something is in there kinda midway down the shaft

Have you tried inflating it with a bike pump?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Have you tried inserting a bike pump?

that will just push it further in!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Being defeated over and over and over and over and over and over until you just go gently caress it, the world can screw off, gimme steady money and a big screen TV

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Whew, looks like I'm safe. A women will never come near me!!!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

See I was gonna go with kids

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
public schools

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

scott zoloft posted:

public schools

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

scott zoloft posted:

public schools
yeah, that too

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
working 9-5 for money to live

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mirage posted:

Being defeated over and over and over and over and over and over until you just go gently caress it, the world can screw off, gimme steady money and a big screen TV

yeah!, also all the bills are paid and to have decent health care and....oh..right. now I get it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

scott zoloft posted:

public schools

Elucidate

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Ever present reality

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I hate being alive day after day.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Every person around you who can't fathom someone doing something interesting with their life. Get rid of those people when you encounter them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dongattack posted:

that will just push it further in!

Once it's in far enough you won't feel it anymore. And I think it will become a pearl or something.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Once it's in far enough you won't feel it anymore. And I think it will become a pearl or something.

Hmmm.... Smells like there is money to make here! If i push it so far in it comes out of my bhole im gonna have a pearl to sell!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Hmmm.... Smells like there is money to make here! If i push it so far in it comes out of my bhole im gonna have a pearl to sell!

I believe that's where the term "pearls of wisdom" comes from.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

according to my parents, at least

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
between bills, family, and significant others, you take up something with a steady paycheck just to make ends meet. the paycheck becomes the new normal, and inertia sets in. it becomes harder to walk away than it was to get started. writing that book or taking that class or whatever is always just a little further down the line, and time begins to pass without you noticing. you get promoted at work, another tally in a column you swore you'd never care about. you try to fill the hole in your heart with items purchased on consumer credit, or by having kids, maybe taking a mortgage to keep the income tax low, which only serves to make the paycheck a bigger and bigger part of your life. before you know it decades have passed, and you're still here. you're still right here.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
An overinflated perception of one's own importance and ability, fostered and encouraged during youth, eventually runs headlong into the difficulties and complexities of adulthood. This tends to result in a narrowing of horizons and a more sober assessment what can be accomplished in life.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Don't have one. Then you can't be disappointed.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Life

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

proctorbot posted:

An overinflated perception of one's own importance and ability, fostered and encouraged during youth, eventually runs headlong into the difficulties and complexities of adulthood. This tends to result in a narrowing of horizons and a more sober assessment what can be accomplished in life.

poo poo man that's pretty accurate.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Orange Cat posted:

Don't have one. Then you can't be disappointed.

Disappointed? I, sir, will not be giving up. If I find out that I've become trapped and my life will never get any better, I'll probably just end things right there.

proctorbot posted:

Isn't that the part where you adapt and work to increase your importance and ability? It's not like you're just born with these things.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Isn't that the part where you adapt and work to increase your importance and ability? It's not like you're just born with these things.

Towards what end? Endless striving doesn't bring satisfaction. The things that bring contentment (love, rich relationships, meaningful work, purpose, belonging to a community) don't come from ever increasing achievement.

Things that I thought were important when I was younger no longer seem very important at all. Age brings a shift in perspective. That's not a bad thing.

The idealism of young people is important, too. It benefits society. But that older people lack the same fervor and certainty in their convictions is to be expected.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Nintendo

I cant find a NES mini, I cant find a Switch, I cant find a SNES mini,

why make things nobody can buy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

#gbshateswomen

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
having children

being so foolish with money or getting in trouble that you are truly tied to dead-end employment. wasting time.

from there basically anything can come comet-style into your life and crush the poo poo out dreams

some dreams are just stupid anyway

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lol noice

but seriously, women (or men, whoever you are attracted to)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
the drunker I am the less likely I am to dream

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Reality, mostly. You know what I wanted when I was a kid? I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to create art. Well, guess what, I'm only mediocre as a creative. c'est la vie.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harald posted:

lol noice

but seriously, women
No man, this is straight up wrong. If you believe women to be mean awful and terrible on a fundamental level, youre messed up. I say this as a person who has been put through the ringer by a woman. I judge her for being a bad person not for having a vagina you bitter nerd

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
choose a dream that would be considered unreasonably difficult to achieve. something you could possibly do a quarter of it in thirty years work. die while working towards it. there's no other option if you don't want to feel your ethos leave your finger tips, knowing you have decades left to live without true drive or meaning and trying to convince yourself that you'll find it again in a book, bottle or pill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

moose face posted:

No man, this is straight up wrong. If you believe women to be mean awful and terrible on a fundamental level, youre messed up. I say this as a person who has been put through the ringer by a woman. I judge her for being a bad person not for having a vagina you bitter nerd
I don't think women are bad on a fundamental level I just think that "settling down" with a partner (and kids who you will live vicariously through) is the end of most people's dreams.

• Locked thread