Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:siren: I deliberately kept the images in the OP rather pedestrian, but be warned: Images in this thread may be NMS for the squeamish as the thread goes on, as posters are encouraged to post images of gross food Andrew has eaten or just gross foods in general. :siren:

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel is by far one of my favorite shows on TV.

If it looks good, eat it!

This hefty cue ball of a man is absolutely awesome. Since 2006 he's been bringing us with him around the world to find some of the most absolutely batshit insane foods and allow us to laugh, grimace, enjoy, and sometimes reflexively dry-heave along with him as he tries them. Over the years I've seen this man go from Spain, to the UK, to Mexico, to Germany, to Africa, to Malaysia, to Japan, and so on and find some of the more out of the way, odd foods out there. I've watched this dude chop mandrake worms out of a piece of wood, swirl them around in some kind of sauce, and eat them fresh and raw. I've seen this dude eat camel meat fermented in its own fat scrambled up with some eggs. I've seen him eat just about every animal testicle, sperm sac, row, and brain I can possibly think of.

But along the way, this guy has also come across some less strange, but absolutely amazing looking cuisine as well. His other show, Bizarre Foods America is overall more pedestrian but still includes some of the stranger things eaten in various locales in the United States (looking at you, Cajuns). There's also Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations which is basically just his original show cut up to mostly feature the less intimidating, but still pretty amazing cuisine.

I particularly like when he uses strange language to describe flavors that he actually likes. Earthy, "of the barnyard" (usually referring to butthole taste), something being wonderfully putrid, delightfully spoiled (but in a "good" way, of course) are all things I've heard this dude say to describe poo poo he's eating. I've only rarely heard him say that something was just plain disgusting, and even then he'll usually tone back the language to just "ugh that's rough" unless it's truly heinous. And since this man has eaten and actually enjoyed some of the more vile foodstuffs the world has to offer, if he says something is loving disgusting I absolutely believe him.

There's two episodes in particular I really like, and it's not because of disgusting food. The first is when he went to Greece. He did some poo poo in Athens, of course. But later in the episode he went to an island called Kalymnos. Kalymnos is known for sponge divers. He went out to sea with some to do some fishing and ended up eating a really delicious looking fish stew from all the things they caught. Later he went to a local bar/tavern kind of thing that only the local men went to where some dude was cooking dishes on a small coal grill like octopus and fried octopus ink sacks and slipper lobster. But even better than that, it was the kind of place where dudes share their food, drink, and before long instruments and poo poo come out and there you are drinking and singing along with a bunch of Greek dudes avoiding their wives after work. It just looked like a really cozy place where people just relax and have a good time. A hole in the wall for the hole in the wall man.

Kalymnos: https://vimeo.com/21076684

My other favorite bit was in Croatia on the Dalmatian coast. I can't find a link for this episode, but what I remember of it was him going out to sea with a local whose wife was a renowned chef and in particular collecting stones from underwater. Back at the family's home (which was old AS gently caress) these stones were cleaned and then added to a soup of various seafoods to make a stone soup. It looked really amazing and like the Kalymnos episode, the people just seemed like a genuinely cool bunch to hang around.

Basically I like Bizarre Foods for a couple of reasons. For one, Andrew finds some really amazing and strange foods. But beyond that, he seems like a legitimately cool guy that's willing to roll with local customs and just be as gracious and nice as possible. He always seems to get in with the right kind of people and find truly memorable experiences. I'm telling you man, if I could I would travel alongside that dude in a heartbeat (though admittedly I wouldn't eat everything he eats}.

But if you're like me and like this wonderful bald bastard and his show, post about cool poo poo you've seen. Pictures and video links are of course welcome. What are your favorite episode, locales, and cuisines that you've seen Andrew find? What did you find particularly loving disgusting or scary? What people has he met that made you wish you could be there chilling out with them?

I wanna know what you guys think about Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and just strange cuisine in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my favorite posts on SA have like nine words

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

let it mellow posted:

my favorite posts on SA have like nine words

Then maybe look for users that are known to post zero-content threads?

I prefer to actually try to put in a little effort.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Anything insect related grosses me right the gently caress out.

I would try anything from the ocean, probably. Even things that resemble insects. Somehow it's less gross when it comes from the ocean.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love this show and Andrew Zimmern as well. Dude went through some poo poo too, which I think is why he can get along with basically everyone.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really like all of his shows. He is on all the time on the Aussie cooking channel. Much better that 99% of presenters

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm afraid of durian because that's like the only thing he can't handle

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Honky Dong Country posted:

really? this post seems like more than nine words

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

There was also an episode in Ireland once where he tried butter some dude dug out of a bog that was found to be like 2,000 years old. Apparently they used to make butter, wrap that poo poo in hay and bury it in a peat bog to preserve it I guess?

But yeah durian always seemed to be terrible to Andrew. Same goes for stinky tofu and that camel meat fermented in its own fat. It was called haliyah or something, I have no idea how to actually spell it. But it was prepared for him after he got it at a market by cooking it with some eggs. He said it had two qualities he's never seen combined in the same food. 1. It was attracting every fly within a thousand miles. 2. It was scaring the ever-living out of him. Dude ate like two bites and even had to pound on his chest with his hand to just choke that poo poo down after the first bite. Then he called uncle.

I'm telling you, dude, if Andrew Zimmern says it's bad it's literally some of the worst poo poo on earth.

let it mellow posted:

really? this post seems like more than nine words

Maybe contribute or shitpost somewhere else?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I've never heard of that dude or his show, but you've convinced me to give it a watch. I used to love watching Dave Atells Insomniac, so this seems like it might hit the same spot.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

If i wanted to watch a fat idiot eat gross food id turn my monitor off

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

funmanguy posted:

I've never heard of that dude or his show, but you've convinced me to give it a watch. I used to love watching Dave Atells Insomniac, so this seems like it might hit the same spot.

Dave Atell was great for nightlife and just general weirdness after hours but I think Andrew Zimmern is overall a cooler watch, if less funny than Dave. He's just a cool dude that really likes to eat almost loving anything. He goes to not only high class chefs but local farmers and families that have been on their land for generations making their nation/state/city's classic down-home food. It's really awesome in general. I've seen this dude roll with people in a Ugandan village on episode and next thing you know he's eating scrapple with a bunch of rednecks, and another episode later you might find him eating a renowned chef's offal or some poo poo. It's a really good show and he's a great host.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

funmanguy posted:

Might I also suggest Drinking Made Easy?

Clearly A Dog
Jun 14, 2017

woof o_o
Theres an episode where he eats goat intestines or something all chopped up with the poo poo and cant finish it...

He just gave it to some kid iirc? lol...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crash_N_Burn posted:

lol give it a shot though. It's better than the vast majority of complete garbage on TV. Half of what this guy does is hanging out with locals while they're fishing or ranching or hunting or whatever. Food's a prominent part of the show but you get a decent dose of the culture and lifestyle of the people he's hanging with as it applies to that cuisine.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Might I also suggest Drinking Made Easy?

No you may not.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I'd recommend buying a monitor made in the last 5 years

But yeah durian always seemed to be terrible to Andrew. Same goes for stinky tofu

Weird. I can see fermented camel toe being something only a very small number of people under specific circumstances would eat or enjoy, but durian and stinky tofu are relatively common and frankly fairly tame, especially compared to other dishes from regions where those are popular. I don't even think durian smells all that bad. It's just pungent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zimmern can't eat walnuts. Like absolutely refuses. It's the one thing besides durian that he openly hates.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Zimmern can't eat walnuts. Like absolutely refuses. It's the one thing besides durian that he openly hates.

drat I never knew that. Walnuts loving rule too. Eh, we've all got weird food hang ups. I guess even the dude that loves eating fish dicks and chicken testicles has odd food quirks.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Many years ago while I was working in SE Asia I ate durian. Was disgusting but i won a bet for choking it down. Would rather have played russian roulette and lost.

A friend ate it like it was goddamn ice cream or something but he was all sorts of hosed in the head so

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

pahuyuth posted:

Many years ago while I was working in SE Asia I ate durian. Was disgusting but i won a bet for choking it down. Would rather have played russian roulette and lost.

A friend ate it like it was goddamn ice cream or something but he was all sorts of hosed in the head so

How would you describe the taste? I once heard Andrew say it was like rotten putrid onions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

pahuyuth posted:

People freeze it and eat it as an ice cream alternative. People do the same with bananas. I'd rather eat durian than go near a banana. gently caress bananas.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I just think you should attempt nine word posts

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
To me durian was slightly sweet with maybe an almond like flavor and some other tropical fruits thrown in there. It's really just the smell that's awful... pungent rotting onions is a good description.

My friend that ate it like it was his last meal was Laotian and would eat drat near anything and would shove it all in this southern American white boy's face

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I had scrapple and eggs for breakfast AMA

Durian for me was kinda like gross overripe banana. There was a certain smell of death but the one I had wasn't terribly ripe so I suspect the effect was rather mitigated.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Durisn smells like a gas leak with maybe a whiff of rotting kitchen garbage.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

this isn't a good tv show

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I preferred man vs food.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

I preferred man vs food.

That guy does nothing but dumb gimmick contest foods in lovely resturants.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Keith Atherton posted:

I'm afraid of durian because that's like the only thing he can't handle

la beast barely got through half a durian and that's a dude who also ate like 5 lightbulbs on youtube which was kind of disturbing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWdJXh1wuqY

i dont think its completely bad but ya the smell is the worst part and thats like 90% of taste

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

That guy does nothing but dumb gimmick contest foods in lovely resturants.

He embodied all that is America!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

How would you describe the taste? I once heard Andrew say it was like rotten putrid onions.

Caramelized onions, gasoline, raspberries, bananas, port wine, custard. It is insanely delicious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did he eat stinky tofu in China or Taiwan? It's supposed to be way better in Taiwan.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It's like a jackfruit mixed with onions and natural gas.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This dude was a homeless heroin addict for a while and I have a rough time placing that with his current obese twee persona but I still like the show even if it's kind of embarrassing to see a big fat American going slum diving with joy

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It's one of my favorite shows too. I love him. He's a cool dude. Pure of heart

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clearly A Dog posted:

Theres an episode where he eats goat intestines or something all chopped up with the poo poo and cant finish it...

He just gave it to some kid iirc? lol...

Was that him or was that Bourdain? I feel like bourdain was the one who had to eat warthog rear end in a top hat

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish there were more kind hearts like Andrew in this world.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Its a pretty good show. He will walk through the rainforest to eat a bug and be really happy about it. It kinda makes literally every other travel food show come off like douche bags livin it up. After i watched this any show where they go to france and eat at a fancy resteraunt and say "yes thats very good" kinda pisses me off now. Nobody is worse about this than vice and particularly bronson but i like rap so he gets a pass.

On that topic vice really pisses me off when they do weed cooking shows. Like if your high everything is good. Like every dish.. "ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmmaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!"
You know, cause they are loving high, they would say that if you handed them cheetoes with weed in it too. They will always say that, on every dish forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DogonCrook posted:

Its a pretty good show. He will walk through the rainforest to eat a bug and be really happy about it. It kinda makes literally every other travel food show come off like douche bags livin it up. After i watched this any show where they go to france and eat at a fancy resteraunt and say "yes thats very good" kinda pisses me off now. Nobody is worse about this than vice and particularly bronson but i like rap so he gets a pass.

On that topic vice really pisses me off when they do weed cooking shows. Like if your high everything is good. Like every dish.. "ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmmaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!"
You know, cause they are loving high, they would say that if you handed them cheetoes with weed in it too. They will always say that, on every dish forever.

Vice had a show about guys loving donkies and somehow made the donkey fuckers seem way more sympathetic than the dipwad hosting the same thing

• Locked thread