Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I've had the same macbook since about 2013. One day I took it out of my backback to do some shitposting, and the screen was cracked. (Superior Apple engineering!)

The crack has been getting larger and larger, but wasn't very noticable, but now thick black lines are trailing outwards from it and it's pretty noticable

so what are some non-pos laptops?

i used to be all about thinkpads but lenovo bought them and... yeah

i had about 10 years w/ apple but touchbars and dongles are not my thing and im ready to just go full linux

what's something good for just throwing linux on? more concerned w/ battery life and durability than being paper thin (actually would prefer swappable battery)

is it true dells are actually decent now?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

XPS15 thread 2.0

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

carry on then posted:

XPS15 thread 2.0

can you swap out batteries in one of those?

(Or alternatively, charge via USB-C? I'm actually less concerned about battery swappin' if I can use the same portable battery I use to power my nsa tracking beacon iphone)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
any screen will crack if you abuse it enough.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i think your web browser is broken too. it doesn't appear to be using css correctly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

is it true dells are actually decent now?

it's not true, there are no good windows laptops

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

That's the thing, I don't really take it out much. When I traveled I had a laptop backpack (padded) and I've never dropped it. Maybe it developed a hairline during a flight a while back but seemed really weird

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

akadajet posted:

i actually plan to steamroll the windows and put on linux then probably have a windows vm for a few apps since wine is garbage

akadajet posted:

i think your web browser is broken too. it doesn't appear to be using css correctly.

i turned it off and don't remember how to turn it back, my life is pain

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

i actually plan to steamroll the windows and put on linux then probably have a windows vm for a few apps since wine is garbage

well there is no such thing as a "linux" laptop. just windows laptops that you install linux on. :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Man... looking at the dell xps page and their OS comparison matrix. Why the hell is disk encryption still a windows pro only feature?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

akadajet posted:

Man... looking at the dell xps page and their OS comparison matrix. Why the hell is disk encryption still a windows pro only feature?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker Because Microsoft wants it that way.

edit: I mean the alternative is some crap from the a/v vendors.

edit edit: I guess you knew that and I'm just being that one nerd.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
buy the razer laptop OP, i hear it is good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

well there is no such thing as a "linux" laptop. just windows laptops that you install linux on. :shrug:

wrong bithc

https://system76.com/

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
my macbook pro includes filevault for free

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dell latitudes are good. i think you are stuck with a thinkpad if you want a swappable battery though

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
are you looking at refurbs at all, OP?

i was in this same situation last year, and i ended up getting a refurb stinkpad w520, which has a 2011 era i7 in it. i mainly got it because it was cheap and the i7 has the VT-x and VT-d extensions for VMs. It is appallingly heavy, but i brought that on myself by getting a W model.

i'll tell you what i miss most about the mac though. waking from hibernate on the macbook is like 5 seconds, tops. its more like 15 - 20 seconds on the linux laptop.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the eee pc runs Linux :rolleye:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what are u using vt-d for? seems like something you wouldnt need on a laptop

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
dells are p cool now but if you're gonna game i'd recommend an ASUS or Alienware

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this guy knows whats up

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
2012 macbook air in 2012 for like the third time

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

the eee pc runs Linux :rolleye:

eee pcs can fit in my cargo shorts i like them and shorts

Helianthus Annuus posted:

are you looking at refurbs at all, OP?

i was in this same situation last year, and i ended up getting a refurb stinkpad w520, which has a 2011 era i7 in it. i mainly got it because it was cheap and the i7 has the VT-x and VT-d extensions for VMs. It is appallingly heavy, but i brought that on myself by getting a W model.

i'll tell you what i miss most about the mac though. waking from hibernate on the macbook is like 5 seconds, tops. its more like 15 - 20 seconds on the linux laptop.

meh, i prefer to spend a little and then own a laptop for a while plus i dont like the idea of joing at a compy someone else joed on

processor wise not to worried but want to get at least 16GB ram + 1TB SSD if poss

so many manufacturers seem to only have tiers where high ram = big rear end gpu and big rear end processor, which makes me sad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thebigcow posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker Because Microsoft wants it that way.

edit: I mean the alternative is some crap from the a/v vendors.

edit edit: I guess you knew that and I'm just being that one nerd.

the real reason is that MS doesn't want to get on the US and other governments' bad sides by encouraging home users to encrypt their own data

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Last Chance posted:

the real reason is that MS doesn't want to get on the US and other governments' bad sides by encouraging home users to encrypt their own data

the fbi believes that if they have a lawful warrant you have no excuse to not turn over data, even if it means backdooring your entire product line

but trump is bad and comey opposed trump so comey is good so encryption is bad

gently caress this gay earth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i love the poo poo out of my t440s, the keyboard is good and it just works

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

maskenfreiheit posted:

meh, i prefer to spend a little and then own a laptop for a while plus i dont like the idea of joing at a compy someone else joed on

FYI they are literally units that someone opened, went 'nah' and then boxed back up. If they have any cosmetic defects all the unit isn't eligible for sale as a refurb. The entirety of humanity thinks the term 'refurbished' = 'getting conned' because of fuckery back in the 70's but if you ever ask people why they don't want refurbished units they're never able to articulate why.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

this guy knows whats up

hahahahaha what the gently caress

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
OP you should get a used Panasonic Toughbook so that your computer's screen will never be broken and as a side benefit is dishwasher-safe.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

this guy knows whats up

epic ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmfao wirecutter recommends the ~predator~

get an xps 13/15

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:rolleye:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Xaris posted:

lmfao wirecutter recommends the ~predator~

get an xps 13/15

will that run linux real good

im goin full stallman, ice ice weasel baby

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

now that i have a functional razer it's not bad, op. just be sure to buy it from a physical store so you can return it 50 times until you finally get a good one

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

now that i have a functional razer it's not bad, op. just be sure to buy it from a physical store so you can return it 50 times until you finally get a good one

no lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Silver Alicorn posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

drat this is sick as hell

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

haven't checked on system 76 in a while

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pram posted:

this guy knows whats up

why is it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i bought an arcade stick from razer and it's good, also my mouse is a razer

well that's my razer story

• Locked thread