Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

Cobra

Where to start? It's a 1986 Stallone vehicle "adapted" from a book about a detective named Marion Cobretti, who is part of the "Zombie Squad," drives a turbo-charged Mercury Monterey with the license plate "AWSOME 50," and is tasked with protecting a model played by Brigitte Nielsen from a cult of axe murderers called the New Order. You know how sometimes there is a fake, over-the-top action movie playing on a tv screen in the background as a gag in other movies? Cobra is that movie, but for real. And it's great.

Fun trivia, The Cindy Crawford / Baldwin movie Fair Game and Cobra are both adapted from the same book.

There's also a four film long Italian ripoff series of Cobra starring Fred Williamson called.........................BLACK COBRA!

The first one is basically a remake of Cobra, but the second and third ones have him going to Manila for more adventures. Incredibly, despite coming out just a year or two later, Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection, is set ***TWENTY-FIVE YEARS*** after Black Cobra 2 and has Williamson partnering up with previous partner's now grown up son. But it doesn't take place in the future and Fred Williamson still works in the same office with the same chief and has the same incredible conversations almost as if they hit the trifecta of filming the movie back to back with his Delta Force Commando series and they couldn't get Nicholas Hammond back to play his partner but they needed to film as much in Manila again as possible, weird.

Please view the scene at 9m30s here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_aphEVpBXk

Also Fred Williamson was already old when these were made so you can see everyone basically moving in slow motion so that he can catch/attack/etc. them.

Black Cobra 2 might have my favorite title card+music+shot ever because it is so awesome. There's a slow build up with a super loud cowbell, the camera pulls up behind a car. Then someone holds their cigar out the window of the car and a rocking guitar riff pops up along with the "BLACK COBRA 1" title lined up under the arm and the camera turns to the car window to get Fred Williamson in profile. It just, like, it should be "so bad it's good" but it's just straight up great and the entire movie puts a huge smile on my face. The movie ends on a freeze frame of Williamson and his new partner who now get along as a sappy love song plays. It's THE BEST.

The first Black Cobra has a five minute scene of Fred Williamson feeding/hanging out with his cat. And the movie also 1ups Cobra itself for non-chalantness of its protagonist. He just rolls into a place with hostages and just walks up and the head bad guy lists some demands and Fred Williamson just goes "NO WAY. PAL." and blows everyone away, then lights up a cigar and starts strolling out before they've even stopped moving. :laffo: It doesn't have Cobra's budget but it's honestly a pretty good remake of it in that respect.

Those first three movies are cheesy and awesome fun.

The fourth one is called Detective Malone and, it is, incredibly, and entire full length film made with outtakes and pickups and test footage from the original movie along with maybe ten minutes of new footage of some other characters to try to tie it into a coherent story. It's total poo poo so don't bother. I think like half of the movie is basically static shots of Fred Williamson standing against a wall while someone talks to him.

Speaking of Cobra, last thing, the original movie is TWO HOURS AND TEN MINUTES LONG and not 84 minutes. But it was cut to 84 minutes both so they could get additional screenings in because they were competing with Top Gun and to prevent an X rating. An uncut version of it was never released but the footage isn't lost as there are bootlegs of it around.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Still can't believe Terry Bogard directed John Wick and Atomic Blonde.

Fart City posted:

Just as an fyi, I greatly appreciated this. I had no idea that there was some bizarro Cobra rip-off franchise out there, and that makes me very happy. Greatness sees greatness.

Also, I love the trivia about there being a cut that is over two hours long, because I immediately thought of the scene near the end of the theatrical cut where Stallone and Nielsen are taking refuge at a rural diner after being chased out of L.A. by the death cult. To lighten the mood Stallone picks up a big plastic hamburger and kind of shakes it around and goes, "huh huh, thasa big cheeseburger" and then puts it back. Like the director was all "very good Sly, very funny! That's definitely staying in!"

I'm picturing one of the producers+Cosmatos+Stallone in the editing room all sagely agreeing that the giant burger scene MUST stay in.

Speaking of Fred Williamson he co-starred with and George Eastman in a totally rad film called The New Barbarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1vvUDo_EE

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 10, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

So many awesome suggestions for this already, but I'm going to go with a quartet of dark horses, Class of 1999: Learn or Die, The Annihilators, and Gordon's War, and Exterminator 2. Some of these can be see in full on YouTube right now! :D

Class of 1999 is about how the gangs are so strong/plentiful that many areas of the world are now declared "free fire zones," and the kids are so bad that a company is able to sell a school three terminators (one of whom is played by Pam Grier!!!) to serve as teachers that both teach students but also basically attempt to murder ones that get out of line. Roddy McDowell is in this as the school principle, a character with some bizarre similarities to the Dr. Loomis he plays in the Zombie Halloween movies! This movie is extremely campy and fun honestly despite its attempts at times to play things straight.

The Annihilators is an 80s movie that's similar to but even lamer and more cynical than Death Wish 3, about a trio of Vietnam vets returning to their now shithole city where they teach everyone how to fight back.

Gordon's War stars Paul Winfield as a Vietnam vet who returns to his drug-overridden town. But he too helps arm and train folks to take back the streets. Made in 1973, I think this might actually be the very first movie with this plot. Worth a look and is one of the the ur-Black Dynamite inspiration flicks.

Exterminator 2, now, oh boy. CANNON FILMS. This movie sucks, and unfortunately the original cut of it which is waaaaay better (but still a schlocky action flick) is unfortunately a lost film. How can I say it's definitively better if it's lost? Because a bunch of its plot points and action were still in the trailer for the movie, despite the flick that was released not actually having any of the scenes or takes seen in the trailer. :O Anyway it's about how Robert Ginty (the guy from the MST3K classic Warrior of the Lost World) cleaned up the streets in Exterminator 1, but now drugs and assholes are back! This is one really stands out to me even in its released form because it is just SOOOO cynical, and the synthesized soundtrack is literally Sega Genesis music, like most of the tracks use the same drivers or whatever. So there's scenes of Ginty flame throwering dudes in an alley after they just brutally shot an old couple who bleed to death and this super chipper like this could be in a Sonic game light music is playing the whole time. Reading about the lost original cut of the film, it was meant to have more to it, but the sexism and bigotry of Golan and Globus really came through here with the female lead's role edited to basically give her no agency and make her an rear end in a top hat (despite her being victim of an event that leaves her paralyzed) and most of the character development for the Mario van Peeble's villain is gone too, along with a totally new and mega idiotic ending sequence that again has this action packed happy music playing the whole time.

These four really jump out in my mind after the more obvious ones like Death Wish III/etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: I know I'm just being a nostalgic dweeb who is wallowing in the past but I really wish he could get Chow Yun-Fat for one movie more. The dude is looking a little older but he's still got the chops. I would love to see him make a wild swing at one more operatic blood opera with the old gang. Even if it were mediocre poo poo I would cherish it forever.

He might still be in HK Movie Jail after dropping out of Red Cliff the week before it started filming going by a lot of the stuff he's been in lately. :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5237980/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5112622/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a difficult balance to strike in a movie battle scene between stylisation (showing manuvers and giving a sense of tactics) and brutality, and Red Cliff, like the Battle of the Bastards, is on the wrong side of it. With the exception of the first fight, it all feels like a kid playing with toy soldiers.

I actually loved this about it. I mean it's based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms not History of the Three Kingdoms. I like that it drowns in honor-chat melodrama and battles being won or lost because one person has a certain insight because it perfectly nails the legendary excess of its source.

If anything they didn't go far enough. Like it needed the part where anybody who's anybody realizes that Guan Yu's beard is way too beautiful so they force him to wear a custom made beard veil when he goes to the Emperor's court otherwise the Emperor would be shamed for life and worthless and the kingdoms would be thrown into anarchy upon realizing how not even the Emperor could have as good a beard as Guan Yu.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ladyhawke is awesome and has the best TurboGrafx-CD soundtrack ever made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I liked how in the budget video game Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death you'd get penalized for just blowing away random civilians but could arrest them and it would scroll a random jailable offense by like "illegal possession of a goldfish," etc. whenever you wanted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love how the bad guys in Hard Boiled as the hospital scene is wrapping up aren't just normal bad guy evil, they're fire automatic weapons at unarmed rescue workers climbing out of a burning building with infants in their arms evil.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Although it is pretty funny how Death Race 2 ends with Luke Goss' character horribly scarred and deformed and then the third movie starts with him looking kind of normal with some hand waving about how they fixed him up.

"What did you expect, a monster?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh my God Laurence Fishburne's homeless people god/game show host performance in John Wick 2 is incredible. This movie rules almost as much as the first one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Certainly better in some ways. The locations are bigger(I suppose it's debatable if that's a good thing but I love it), the villains are better, especially the addition of Common, and Keanu's choreography is even I think improved over the amazing stuff they did in the first one. Some people like a simpler revenge story though, which I can understand, and the original is very streamlined in that way.

I also think the soundtrack is slightly better in John Wick 2, which maybe puts me in the minority? I know the music playing in the Red Circle is great in John Wick, but I think the sequel's is more consistently great throughout.

Actually I agree with all of this and I hope Common is back in Chapter 3. But I feel like the plot kind of goes off the rails very slightly towards the end which "lowers" it to me regarding it as highly as John Wick 1 instead of better. Specifically, after he completes the job and ends up back in NYC, it did feel like they had to kind of stretch things a bit to get the homeless folks army to help him out at all. Like why do they give a poo poo who has a seat on the table or whatever? Like yeah Santino betrays John personally but was he really some super devious evil guy compared to like, anyone else that would have been running things in that position? It just felt weird because the movie actually brings this up but it ended up not mattering. I don't know, it made it feel like they somehow did not enough world building but too much world building at the same time compared to how the first one.

Anyway the movie's awesome so I'm super hype for whenever Chapter 3 happens. I still have to see Atomic Blonde too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’d argue that in T2, the T-800/T-100 is still scarier than the T-1000, just for that scene where he walks through the tear gas and blasts all the SWAT guys in the kneecaps :stonk:

This ruled.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So Peter Hyams' career is doing unreasonably good knockoffs, right? I just finished Timecop and it's 100% a studio cashing in on Terminator 2 even down to a man getting partially frozen and broken but it's still pretty awesome. Weirdest thing is that it's probably one of the most 2017 movies possible, outside of The Dead Zone. A White Supremacist party, a President that's going to win through just using TV, closing the borders to make "America for Americans first," JCVD even cracks "maybe he'll calm down after the election." It's weirdly prescient in a little more specific way than a lot of Trump-predicting media has been. JCVD kicked some rear end, the fight scenes are really fun, and I like that Hyams DPs a lot of his own movies, Timecop looks great.

From 1991 to 1996 there was a rise in white supremacy movements (and of course the wave of black church arsons from 94~96-ish) and I think that definitely effected movies because we had this brief time in the 90s where the neo Nazi and white supremacy groups, Aryan Brotherhood, sovereign citizen types, etc. are action move villains more than before or since.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'm particularly fond of the slimming photoshop job done on old Steven

I was surprised by this since his past few DVD covers they straight up take his head and drop it on a waaaaaay slimmer unrelated body.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Phantom is so bad just because much of the cast (Billy Zane included) are sleepwalking through it for significant chunks of the movie. Billy Zane and Catherine Zeta-Jones' stunt people put in some good work though. I remember the posters for it looked really stupid and had that "SLAM EVIL!" slogan all over them. Somehow Phantom 2040 was way better.

I remember liking The Shadow movie as a kid and I always loved the radio serials (I never read the books though).

The Rocketeer on the other hand is super fun and is also one of the best comic book movies ever made. No one liked the comic at the time because it came out in 1982, and you can imagine how well a story like The Rocketeer's would do when "ZAP! POW! COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE!" headlines were a thing in the wake of comics becoming darker in general in the 80s. Pacific Comics ceased to exist in like 1984 (I think IDW had a run of The Rocketeer going more recently though).

Speaking of adventure movies like that, I never actually saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Does anyone here like that? I remember that article making the rounds here awhile ago about how it was a shame they were first to making a movie with that level of green screen and CG backdrops and stuff since it wasn't popular at the time but that's basically textbook how sci-fi/etc. movies are made today and how they got the cast they did because everyone starring in it was a true believer in the technology.

The source material is more adventuresome but that Flash Gordon movie is so loving good. It's perfect, I have total respect for John Milius/etc. for making a pulpy super fun flick under DiLaurentis' nose. I love the anecdote about how until very very far into production DiLaurentis still thought it was a super serious important sci-fi film. I mean it is important to me but :laffo:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Tintin has a scene that’s basically the truck hijacking from Raiders as one long take, Spielberg took Zemeckis’ motion capture CGI and thoroughly embarrassed him with how much you can do with it.

I have to admit I want to see a timeline where Tom Hanks plays everyone in that Beowfulf movie. :laffo: wasn't the third of the flicks made from that deal Mars Needs Moms?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was looking forward to Wild Wild West and saw it on opening day. Needless to say that sucked.

If you have Starz you can watch The Phantom right now.

I still have to see those Sherlock Holmes movies. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was so bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I like many scenes from WWW, but the whole doesnt add up to much.

The mel gibson Maverick is great btw

Mel Gibson Maverick is excellent and I always feel stupid for forgetting it exists.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey, I don't know if samurai movies count for this thread, but I recently tried the 1989 movie Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman recently after getting the DVD as part of a "5 movies for £20" deal at a local shop. I've not seen any other Zatoichi movies but I know the basic concept (mainly via Stan Sakai's parody of him in Usagi Yojimbo); I believe this one was the original actor's final go in the role.

It starts off enjoyably enough - Zatoichi is released from prison and goes to visit an old friend, then finds the town overrun by rival yakuza gangs - but then it just gets really confusing. So many characters just vanish from the movie, there's all these byzantine machinations around people selling antique muskets to each other that have nothing to do with Zatoichi at all. Is this what the rest of the Zatoichi movies? If so, I'm not sure how they secured their reputation for greatness. If not, did I just make a bad choice and do Zatoichi fans consider this one of the weaker entries in the series?

Broadly, it's considered a lesser one by many fans, both for the reasons you mention and for Shintaro Katsu's noticeably not caring as much as he did during the old ones.

Most of the movies' plots are Zatoichi rolls into town, brefriends a local prostitute, and pisses off the local crimelord with his amazing gambling skills. Some extra criminal enterprise is discovered during the middle act, and then in the third act bad guys get owned because whoever he befriended may get hurt if their plans come to pass.

I have to say the only recent (like 80s and on) Zatoichi film I think is really good is the Takeshi Kitano one from 2003. I don't know what it's on now but I've definitely seen it pop up on Netflix now and then.

dont even fink about it posted:

People didn't really buy Ecks vs. Sever even at the time, probably because it studiously gives them everything they indicated they wanted to buy, in one lazy package. It's a decent cultural artifact now, but it's hardly the only Matrix ripoff and probably not even the worst of them.

This is very true, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever was dead on arrival. The only interesting thing about it is that it has two video games based on it that are pretty decent, but like the film quickly passed into irrelevance. The first one was an early GBA game that was rushed out so that it could the first FPS on the GBA, it's actually pretty good and, because of that ambition, was released a year before the movie came out! It's a prequel to the events in the movie so that ended up working out I guess. They made a second one based directly on the movie that I never played but IIRC the same engine and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 31, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you have access to Criterion stuff, the entire series got Criterion releases. I would consider checking out

Zatoichi's Flashing Sword
New Tale of Zatoichi
Zatoichi on the Road
Fight, Zatoichi, Fight

I'd actually say that every single one from the 60s and most of the 70s ones are good except for, sadly, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo. Flashing Sword is considered one of the best by a lot of people and I think you could make a case that it's the best looking of the 60s ones.

They're also similar enough that if you see one or two of them and just straight up hate them, you may just not like Zatoichi flicks, so it will at least save you some time. I'd still check out the 2003 one though because it's just a really good and stylish movie in general despite the cartoony CG blood splatters (something that to Kitano added levity to the action but that's debatable, it's a really nice looking film otherwise).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

You know they were alreay out of ideas too because the working title for the cancelled third movie was "Machete Kills Again... In Space!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey guys, I'm assembling a watchlist of the B-movies from the sub-subgenre that overlaps The Warriors and Escape from New York. Anything I'm missing that's worth watching?

The New Barbarians
Steel Dawn
1990: The Bronx Warriors
Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx
2019: After the Fall of New York
The Running Man
Endgame
Turkey Shoot

Endgame, if you mean the one directed by Joe D'Amato that stars George Eastman, unfortunately sucks (I know I was also stunned that a movie from the directing/writing/acting duo that brought us Porno Holocaust is not good) because it's REALLY slow after a fun first act.

Fortunately Lucio Fulci directed a similar but way cooler movie that's had a few different names. It should be on Amazon Prime right now as New Gladiators (courtesy of Troma!!!), but may also be Warriors of Rome 2017 or Rome 2033: The Fighter Centurions. Anyway it has some slow team building/training/machinations parts but it just completely rules and has some ambitious twists, it's one of the more original of these movies especially for one that was released several years before The Running Man. Plus even forgetting all of that it just completely rules for the cast, soundtrack, and miniature future Rome flyover shots and Blade Runner wannabe shots of folks in flying cars. Please don't miss this one. Also it has some brief training and "brainwashing" sequences like this. This isn't a fan music video someone made this is literally in the movie as is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8TiE8cuUuA

I bolded 2019 in your post because I just want to say it's my favorite movie of that kind to come out of Italy.

I'd also say to absolutely check out.....

2020: Texas Gladiators
Doomsday
Nemesis
New Crime City: LA 2020
Ultimate Warrior (has Max von Sydow, Yul Brynner.....AND GEORGE EASTMAN in it)

For a so insanely cheaply made it's hilarious one I strongly recommend The Bronx Executioner, which should also be on Prime right now. This one, like, the basic concept actually had a lot of heart but oh my lord the script genuinely has some The Room levels lapses in logic and how the people interact and stuff. It's so cheap a few of the characters receive different dubs halfway through the movie. A lot of the fun comes from the epic scope with which the film's factions and the world are described vs. most of it being filmed in a junkyard with like six people. There's also a lot of :laffo: level attempts at The Big Questions type conversations regarding androids and what it means to be human and if robots can love and stuff.

An actor playing a major character CLEARLY walked off the set halfway through and that's handled about as gracefully as this movie could do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuI9rGw08wI

This training is supposed to prep someone for a job where they have to personally monitor food dropoffs into android/humanoid war zones like a UN peacekeeper and also be able to beat up cyborgs. There are multiple shots of a power lines, but just one of the single towers holding up the power lines and it's supposed to be a cyborg headquarters broadcasting tower. Most of the establishing shots are from an earlier not related film called The Final Executioner.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 1, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Albert Pyun directed a movie called Vicious Lips that when you read the synopsis and watch the first ten minutes or so of it seems like it's going to be the raddest movie ever made and then........nothing happens for the rest of the movie. :(

Speaking of which, it's nowhere near good enough to be mentioned with the other good stuff people are talking about here like Six String Samurai or Streets of Fire but I'd strongly recommend giving Pyun's post apocalyptic glam punk noir musical Radioactive Dreams a look. Starring Michael Dudikoff. The plot's basically a Fallout 2 game where you rolled main characters with below average intelligence and maximum luck. Who the gently caress am I kidding this movie rules all of you should seek it out and watch it ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbNd2dk6VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVKK7lv8kzM

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

I'll say that plus Get the Gringo and the remake of Edge Of Darkness makes for a pretty good latter-day Mel trilogy

Speaking of Mel Gibson and the action movie thread, I'm sure everyone here has seen Apocalypto but oh my goodness that movie is completely totally 100% awesome and everyone in this thread should see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The most telling thing in the Braveheart making of stuff is the arrowhead spikes on his bracer. An ahistorical fabrication he said he needed to have on the character because he needed to know that he could quickly stab someone's face at any time. He just loves the concept of graphic violence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No I think that's totally fair. In Apocalypto and Braveheart it doesn't feel out of place at all. Hacksaw Ridge goes from very brutal but grounded to parody of 80s action stuff and back and it's weird.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

He's catholic. Every saint, along with the son of god, is depicted more often in their death than anything else. And remember that the majority of those deaths are super loving gory.

I always tell my folks if churches would bring back the ultra heavy metal iconography and non-stop orgies I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Man on Fire

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding that Shaft cover, it's from a DVD/VHS re-issue of the entire series from when the new movie came out in 2000. This was a horrible time for movie covers because of that last mass produced wave of VHS tapes and early super mass produced wave of DVDs, many of them went that "just put a picture of the star on the cover" despite them having totally rad already existing posters or artwork.

I'd say Lethal Weapon is "more" of a touchstone than 48 Hours too even if 48 Hours is more important in some ways. I remember when WPIX 11* would show 48 Hours in the early 90s it would even have this "BEFORE Gibson and Glover, there was....*TV spot for 48 Hours*" I would definitely put both on any action movie touchstone list.

If I made a list of touchstone action movies I don't think it'd deviate much from what people have mentioned. I was going to say it's insane that no one's brought up the first three Mad Max movies or Raiders but everyone's corrected that now. :) Top Gun is absolutely an action movie and counts too even if it's not as violent as what we'd normally associate with the genre.

I would say The Killer squeezes by on influence alone even if it wasn't popular in the western hemisphere. That's a movie I show people for the first time and they think it was made in like 1993.

If we're just talking in the US I'd consider certain ninja movies, specifically Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, and American Ninja II: The Confrontation because again even if they're schlock and not fondly remembered today, I mean, NINJA. American Ninja II especially would be shown on TV almost as much as The Beastmaster. A lot of the stereotypical ninja stuff in US movies involving ninja came from those three flicks.

Speaking of influential or not, anyone who's seen Mad Max knows at the very end we see Max calmly walk towards the camera as an explosion happens in the background. I could have sworn we mentioned it in this thread but couldn't find it, what movie did that before Mad Max? I think there was only one specific one we could pick out.

*The greatest TV station that ever existed, if you liked movies and lived in NYC in the 80s and 90s you watched this station basically all day every day until it became WB Network and now the original is "PIX 11." Saturday morning cartoons? Hell no this station would just show a block of like, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, The Godfather, and Flash Gordon. Or Return of the Living Dead, Superman II, and Manhunter. Like the sole qualification of the film programming was "does this movie own?" and I think it had a huge influence on me as a kid and I definitely wouldn't be as into movies as I am now without it. My family didn't have cable until many many years later so this ruled.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 5, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m imagining a parent buying it for their kid, and the kid realizing that even though their parents got the wrong movie, they still love it when they slit that person’s throat, catch the blood in a beer mug, then drink the blood.

You beat me to this. I was going to post how excited I was when this cover came out because you'd have people picking it up thinking it's similar to Twilight and instead they would get to see one of the raddest vampire movies ever made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Everyone who hasn't seen it should watch Near Dark. It's probably Kathryn Bigelow's best movie, which is saying something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fortunately you can all skip The Mechanic 2: Resurrection because you're about to watch the best part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjBCy5kOaY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

Has this thread discussed Blaxploitation? I’m not that familiar with the films beyond Black Dynamite.

Cleopatra Jones is awesome and super fun and also has a lot of firsts for the genre. Besides the other flicks folks will recommend I'd check out:

Action - Three the Hard Way, Gordon's War
Horror - Sugar Hill, Abby

Penitentiary and Penitentiary II are must watches also (I never saw the third one but heard it's pretty good).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tango & Cash sucks but the soundtrack rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Was he the one who crystalised that?

Absolutely yeah, there are some earlier cases but in general most of the stereotypical samurai action kill "stuff" comes from Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai.

You all probably know, but I love that the iconic someone gets slashed and they freeze and then blood sprays out of them and they fall over slowly was a mistake! At the end of Sanjuro when they filmed that take the mechanism to make the blood spurt out a little bit seemed to malfunction to the person operating it so they kept activating it over and over again causing the massive spray of blood. And I don't know if they realized how imitated and ubiquitous that would become but they knew that it was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

I don't know that I'd call Ran an action movie, but true to the film's title, it really embodies Kurosawa's styles coming together, with tons of grand stagey theatrical moments that are then immediately destroyed by sloppy and ruthless violence. Holy poo poo that movie is amazing. Kurosawa has two of the best Shakespeare adaptations ever made under his belt between that and Throne of Blood. His flicks really are beautiful, it's crazy. Anyway I don't know if Ran is an action movie per se but that particular battle scene is sooooooo good and brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 9, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sword of Doom rules and is a must watch. <3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtAyJPuKuMY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lady Snowblood 2 is such a worse movie but gets by on having a few extremely cathartic moments of assholes getting owned. Awesome double feature of course.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Isn't that the one about the guy who makes women orgasm so hard it acts as torture?

Correct and personally I'm not crazy about them but I would say the first one is worth checking out depending on what you're looking for. Like brocked says if you want what's basically the feudal Japan equivalent of a 70s grindhouse exploitation crime flick they are the final word.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

Close, I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he probably played Zatoichi in any of the movies you've seen (except the Takeshi Kitano version)

It's true, Hanzo the Razor is played by THE Zatoichi, Shintaro Katsu himself.

He actually made his own production company after IIRC Daiei collapsed and these were the first things he produced. So of course his dick being so huge that it can be used as a form of interrogation on female suspects is a major plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Who plays the Bill Paxton character that he repeatedly abuses and is constantly loving with?

Sebastian Stan easily especially if he keeps his I, Tonya mustache.