Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Atomic Blonde was pretty drat cool, mustve been tough to do some of the fights around a moving cameraman. Some really good shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Plot is overrated anyway

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Police Academy 2 or Death Wish 3?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A stuntwoman died yesterday in a motorcycle accident on the deadpool 2 set. :(

Is stunty death as rare as it seems or is it not usually publicized?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hey man, it was the 80's. Crossing Conan with Flash Gordon was cool at the time

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hitman's Bodyguard has some pretty good action, couldve been great with a few longer takes for some stunts, but it wouldve made em harder to nail the shot :shrug:
drat funny too, might be the best action comedy of the year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Free Fire was a kickass shootout movie too, should be due for redbox soon

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shane Black season

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The peak of that is the neon stairwell fight in Forced Vengeance, it's shown at the beginning, middle, and end of the movie. Not in full, but it is pretty

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How can you dis on the lethal weapon sax soundtrack

Cmon son

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The guy in LW3 hammed it up well and has a lot of great lines though. "Now we can write our names in the cement!" He was also in Mask of Zorro and Hot Fuzz :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nein

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/AF7qrDujmw8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like many scenes from WWW, but the whole doesnt add up to much.

The mel gibson Maverick is great btw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

Mel Gibson Maverick is excellent and I always feel stupid for forgetting it exists.

It's a better Han Solo movie than "Solo" will be :toxx:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Death Wish 3? Robot Holocaust?

Solarbabies?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 1, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kurosawa and the western remakes were big action touchstones. Tons of ww2 movies and Stagecoach too

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I love Broken Arrow, travolta is so great in it. Plus, howie scream!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hannah's soundtrack owns too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Becerly Hills Cop 2 and Crocodile Dundee 2 are cable classics for me, seen em so many times :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The gore isnt even necessary to The Thing, the paranoia is where the real terror comes from.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which American movies have tried the same balance of action, comedy, drama and romance and gotten it right? As far as big movies go, I feel like Indiana Jones and Lethal Weapon come closest (though obviously they're a lot less elaborate than a Jackie Chan movie would be) but I may be completely off the mark there.

Star Wars

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
At least Bullet to the Head gave Sly another axe fight scene :getin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I think he wrapped up his American career with Paycheck (that Ben Affleck / Aaron Eckhart abomination) like fifteen years ago.

Paycheck is pretty fun and the supporting cast is surprisingly stacked. I cant remember if the fights were very good, but there weeent many either, it was more of a thriller.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right - that's the one I'm thinking about. I was confused because it has a different title ("Deception", according to Wikipedia).

Apparently it's not very good. It's a John Frankenheimer movie so I'd like to think it has some redeeming qualities, though. (I even liked The French Connection II.) :(

I was just remembering Reindeer Games yesterday, it's rad

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

Imagine if you will: John McTiernan's Mission Impossible.

or hell, Michael Mann's Mission Impossible.

Frankenheimer?

Another great Paul Bettany role is in Master and Commander, it really deserved the oscar over RotK

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 17, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

My first SA avatar was Jim Phelps, so I'm biased.

I don't dislike M:I1 at all; it's my second-favourite of the series after Ghost Protocol. But making Phelps the villain, while a good twist, was a bit of a kick in the balls for fans of the show. It'd be like doing... I dunno, a Knight Rider movie and making KITT the secret bad guy.

But it's clearly not the real Phelps, anyway. His hair's not even white!

Woah you finally changed your avatar? To elastigirl...with polka dots?

How are Nina and Eddie doing? I read the Revelation book last year, it was pretty good but seemed a bit lower stakes than usual. I did enjoy chekov's zeppelin though :). Soon as it was mentioned at the start I knew it would be used.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the neat little callback regarding the White Widow's mother:

Woah i had no idea it was supposed to be Max's daughter

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just saw Fallout this evening and very much enjoyed it. It was a bit slow to start but I think once they get to the HALO jump sequence (I shouldn't need to spoiler that but I'll err on the side of caution) it picks up and keeps a lot of energy.

One thing that struck me immediately was the opening credits: I mentioned months back in this thread when I watched through the previous movies that the first one's opening credits made it seem most like a TV show, but I think the credits for Fallout have equalled it on that front.

In fact, that's something that stood out a bit with the pacing for this one; it feels like a season of a television series compressed into two and a half hours (though I don't mean that in a good), perhaps because the action set pieces ensure there's a new mini-climax every 15 minutes or so.

It's a bit similar to Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark (particularly the latter) and how it evokes old serials with all its cliffhangers and using the line on the map as an act break.

A couple of miscellaneous thoughts:

* I reckon Henry Cavill will be back if there's a next one. :v:

* Is McQuarrie involved in writing the movies at all? I can't remember if he was credited on the screenplay as well - I'd have thought he was since the big feather in his cap is that he wrote The Usual Suspects.

Mquarrie did most of the writing, and claims he didnt start until they picked locations, then trusted on inspiration for setpieces

how could henry come back???

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mission Impossible...in space!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cruise and Jackie Chan have never done anything together, right?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerkface posted:

i hope it gets more and more mythological and if tom ever hands the franchise off the new person will take on the name ethan hunt. "there will always be a mission, there must always be a hunt"

Some kind of meta-movie where all of Tom Cruise's roles meet up could be cool. Fate has merged the parallel universes and Hunt has to team up with his immortal self from the Mummy, Maverick, try to keep his bad guy from Collateral from backstabbing them, etc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Walker the phone thing doesnt necessarily mean he's Lark, he couldve just wanted Hunt out of the way.
Also i wonder why he killed the apostles he did. Did they not want to go along with the new order with him as stand-in boss while crazybeard was locked up?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Didnt Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song have him direct his son in a sex scene too?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And didnt have hard swears

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you really want a show about secret agents to be "grounded" in what people like that actually do? You really don't.

It was neat in Patriot Games when harrison ford is looking at satmaps for a few days and couldnt be sure whether to order a hit squad, then the camp is empty the next day.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Its great fun with some stakes and is a bit revisionist, i dig it too.

The final fight in Unforgiven is so good because it's so quick, very anticlimactic

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Every rambo is a must-watch, for different reasons

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its a decent modern-day indiana jones knockoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The new robin hood has a few decent action scenes, like the arrow gatling guns. It's like zorro crossed with BlackHawk Down