Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

links

OOC Thread
String Sheet

Scene 1

Huh? has it really been two months since you turned up outside your dorm loaded down with bags, concerned relatives hovering leaving you to look about and learn about your new dorm mates your new college and your new life. Still the "Follie" as the decades of student graffiti seem to have dubbed it is almost starting to feel if not quite like home then certainly almost familiar.. From the way that one faucet in the boys toilets leaks or that window in the lounge that won't quite close properly you're starting to learn it's foibles and then there's your fellow residents, there's always one who hogs the shower a little too much, one who won't wash their dishes up and one who dodges the chores that need doing. Still you're all coping more or less and there hasn't been a screaming row in well over three days so maybe the group is making progress?

Of course now it's Friday and at the end of a very long week of ahem studying You're all getting ready to wind down for the weekend. Someone has put a poster up on the dorm notice board advertising a party tomorrow night at the Phi Kappa Tau It's a bit short notice but if you scramble you might be able to find a date to go with... assuming you want to go anyway.

Everyone: You've only been here a few months but you've already started to get a grip on college life. What have you enjoyed the most about it so far? And what have you enjoyed the least?

Margot: "Come on Margot, let your hair down a little." Sandy your official "roommate" although she rarely seems to sleep in her own bed. "You've been here two months and you've not enjoyed a single night out. If you're worried about a date I can fix you up." Of course it's not that is it? The full moon is only a few days away. Still you should be able to risk it right What do you say to her?

Joy "You should really go for it, the closing date is Monday so we still have time." Kayla adds "I think you'd make a great student president and the band has enough fans that they'd probably vote you in on a landslide." She really wants you to get involved with that kinda stuff. Chris nods an enthusiastic agreement as he leans against the wall in your room, while Lexi pointedly ignores the whole discussion. Do you think it'd be a good idea? What do you say to Kayla?

Liam: A party huh? You know if you finesse it just right you might finally get Amy's attention and just think what a great date the pair of you would make. Only one slight problem though you're working the late shift tonight aren't you So you're going to have to move fast to get in there before someone else beats you to the punch. What do you do?

Angela Well another week survived. You even managed to get some *shudder* studying done didn't you. Still I suppose there's no need to ask you if you're going to the party. Have you already promised someone a date or are you keeping your options open and seeing who approaches you?

Amy Ugh what a week. You look exhausted as you sprawl out in a chair in the lounge idly listening in to the conversation going on around you. What's been keeping you busy all week anyway? I haven't seen you around much. Who just won't shut up about this stupid party anyway?

Kevin: I take it you're not the party kind of guy? I mean I know what you're thinking that there's no way you're going to ask someone for a date is there, and no one is even gonna look twice at you. But come on man you have a lot going for you. Put yourself out there walk up to someone you like and just ask. What's the worst that can happen anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: The Follie

Ah, Friday. Truly the best of days. Especially after a week of classes! Sure, yeah, I have a late shift at the Grind in a bit, but it turns out that little bit of politicking I did swapping my usual Saturday shift for a Friday shift was surprisingly prescient! A party at a frat! This was it! This was where my chill work-and-study college experience was going to start firing on all cylinders and I was finally going to get to enjoy the fruits of my labors. I just... needed a date. That wasn't a problem, right? I mean, I'm pretty charming when I put my mind to it. And while I'm sure Eva would jump at the chance... Well, I have my heart set on Amy. Hopefully, I'll run into her today. She's a little tough to track down at times!

Kind of like Kevin, come to think of things. I still had trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that he's, like, a ghost. That's haunting me. Or the college? I guess he does have classes... or maybe he just spends all that time perving on Joy and Lexi? Oh yeah. I've seen him slip through the wall between our rooms once or twice. My bed is on that side of the room, after all. Well, whatever. We are roommates, so I'm not going to blow him up like that. Even if it is kinda weird... I'm kind of curious what he's seen, though. Overall? He's a pretty chill roommate and we get on okay. Even if he is kind of dead and a little depressing.

The worst part of college so far is definitely Carver's English class. The dude is a real ball-buster and he's easily throwing down twice as much homework as my other classes. Combined. I should probably spend the weekend finishing that essay for his class, but come on! College party! Romance! Excessive drinking! What kind of monster would say no to all that? Certainly not this shining example of humanity, let me tell you what.

I round the bend outside the Follie and swipe my way in. You wouldn't believe how many people just forget their student IDs. It's like they don't compulsively check their pockets every time they go anywhere or something. Weirdos. But my train of thought is quickly derailed by seeing Amy in one of the chairs of the lounge. Cue the sappy romance music, the fuzzy pink camera filter with hearts in the corners, the whole package. I check my reflection out in a nearby window, adjust my beanie a bit, and walk confidently in her direction.

With an easy smile on my face, I say, "Hey, Amy. Any plans for tomorrow night...? I hear this thing at Phi Kappa Tau is going to be off the hook." I settle into a chair next to her. I can't make out her eyes under the curtain of hair, but if the rest of her is anything to go by... They've gotta be unreal. I can almost feel her gaze sweep across my body. I do my best to show off my muscles and whatnot, but honestly I think my tight jeans are doing most of the work... if you know what I mean.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:43 PM
@Liam - Tricky: 2d6+3 You bet Liam's gonna Turn On Amy! = (3+1)+3 = 7

Self, promise, awkward/embarrassed, or string!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Location: Lounge | Conditions:

I take a deep breath, then another - and another. Friday night, and here I am, writing and rewriting the intro to my midterm paper, over and over, searching for the perfect words. You'd have thought that they'd be found after three hours - but here I am, slaving away. Just like every Friday night since I got here.

Sure, there's other options... a shriek of delight, muffled by the door, reminds me enough of that as it echoes down the halls. Most of the people here don't even go to class most of the time - content with drinking and partying and other things. Of course, that doesn't seem to be helping my grades any... other people are just naturally smarter, I guess. I lean back in my chair considering that thought, thinking about what I'd rather be doing.

Of course, the best thing about this place is the woods in the edge of campus, backing up into the mountains. Lots of trails to walk in quiet thought, isolation where nobody can be bothered by me. Most of the students here don't even know it's there - like they can't even see past the sex and booze. Of course... it's not like I've ever even been invited to join in.

My eyes fall squarely on a crumpled note lying on Liam's desk. Phi Kappa Tau - a frat party. Liam's been to dozens, or at least, it's felt like that. Wandering in drunk hours past midnight... and then that one time he saw me floating. I wonder if he even remembers... I shake my head, clarifying my thoughts. Tonight! What the hell am I going to do tonight? Waste away here? Again? Over and over? Or... or finally do something. Finally go and - and...

...and my thoughts fall onto her again. Joy... and she brings me so much of it. Just to see her... and to have her see me. Not just look through me like everybody else here does. To see the real me... I... but could I even do that? Would she even like me? She's so popular! And her band! And she's the prettiest girl in school... she'll never see me! God - why does it have to be like this? Why am I so...

I sigh, then groan. You're right, inner voice inside of me. What's the worst that could happen? It's not like I could die from embarrassment! Get it?... Sorry... I really shouldn't try to tell jokes. Ugh.

I stand, finally, a crazy half-baked plan in my head starting to form. I'll just go over and knock, right? And I'll say - hey, you know that PKT party tonight? I.. I mean of course you do, you're super popular, you probably already got the invite and have plans but... but if you didn't have somebody to go with... maybe you could... go with me?

Lame! I mean, this is literally my internal monologue talking here and even I'd turn me down. How could I expect her... wonderful, gorgeous her, to ever say yes to me? What a joke. I should just... keep on doing nothing. I grimace, then grab a microwave dinner from the mini fridge and head for the door. Another lonely night of deciduous flora and Swedish meatballs. I crack the door and peek out - coast clear - then walk briskly past Room 10.

And for the longest second, I'm back there, in that place. Where I can throw open the door and whisk her right into my arms. Where she swoons, begging me to kiss her, wrapping her soft warm arms around me, holding me tightly...

And then I'm past it and beyond, quickly, into the lounge, food in the microwave, try not to meet anyone's glance, not to catch any attention. Just get back to your room before anything bad can happen... I notice Liam hitting on Amy on the other side of the room and wave awkwardly... gently caress! Oh god I hope he didn't notice...

quote:

@Kevin - Frgrbrgr: 2d6-1 Accidentally turning on Liam = (1+1)-1 = 1

Oh god...

Marking experience...

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 24, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Hot -1 |Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: The Follie Lounge

Ugh, what a loving week. Tired. Tired even though I've got half a latte in me. My course schedule is so wrong - why do I get back-loaded into Friday? whod oes that? But I had to take what was open when it was open so I did. That means I've got ridiculous 2D Design studio into the night Thursday, and then Foundations of Contemporary Art first thing Friday morning, becuase gently caress you Amy. Which would be fine if I could knock off mid-day Friday, but my section of Drawing Concepts & Methods meets three days a week, Monday Wednesday Friday, in the late afternoon.

All of which would be bad enough, except Professor Hawthorne is so dull. I do not want to get up Friday morning for more droning lectures about Akkadian pottery - because that just screams Contemporary Art. I heard one grad student say he's teaching an old syllabus, even worse. And he doesn't let us bring coffee into class, says it prevents clear thought and attentiveness, as if we weren't up until some crazy hour because we had a studio deadline to meet and you stay in studio until it's done and...

My hand crushes the cup before I realize, sending a splash of coffee over my hand. As I'm scrambling to wipe it up, Liam locks in on me and vectors over.

Oh the party. Of course the party. Angela's been going on and on about it. She goes on about parties in general, but this one seems special, amped up or whatever? I don't know. I don't go to many, and the ones I do hit I tend to just take the booze and do the minimal dancing to not get thrown out. It's not so bad, these guys usually want girls with more flesh and heels and shiny clothes. Magpies. Anyway, Angela seems convinced this party will be special, even if she's not sure how. Or she's not telling me. I can't be super pissed with her since she was super cool about the...incident. Still grating though.

If I throw aluminum foil at Liam will he go away? I glance at him, through my bangs, scanning across his shoulders and chest and...he's not bad looking. Not...at all. Almost classical, even if those jeans are too tight. See a pretty girl and you're going to the health center, dude.

He's sitting down. Smalltalk ahoy.

Party. Party party party.

I wish I hadn't thrown out my cup so I could crush it again.

"No," I say. "Angela's going. You should ask her."

Giving Liam a string.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'm gonna be totally honest, I think I have a bit of a selective hearing thing going on. Amy seems like she's trying to hook me up with Angela — also very attractive, though she doesn't have quite the same sense of mystery about her — but I'm way more focused in on the fact that she doesn't have any plans. Score! That means I can definitely talk her into the party. Or maybe some sort of party-adjacent hang out? I get it if that's not her scene. I totally do! Maybe we can just, you know, chill and get to know each other a little better. Or a lot better! Drink a little, listen to some sweet jams, maybe have a party of our own in the Follie? Could be an excellent way to spend the weekend!

I mean, I still want to go with her to the party. This thing is shaping up to be the kind of party people whisper about for years. How can I miss that? How can I let her miss that? Sometimes you've just gotta double-down and try harder when they play hard to get. I grin, "So you're free, then? Cool, cool." I notice the coffee stains. "Ahh, you dig coffee? Nice. You should drop by the Grind sometime when I'm working, I'll hook you up with something off the secret menu." Yeah, we've got a secret menu. Mostly just code-words for terrible drinks that'll get you hosed up on way too much caffeine, but what the hell. It sounds cool. Right? Right.

I lean forward a bit, "So how're classes treating you? You're doing..." I snap my fingers a few times. "Art, right?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Kevin: Liam doesn't seem to notice your awkward wave but your equally awkward attempt to duck out of his way results in your food going up into the air and all over the shirt of Eva who was waiting for you to finish with the microwave poo poo poo poo poo poo, that shirt she yelps in surprise and slight panic as your Swedish meatballs and sauce splash all over her. She glares at you and turns to open her mouth as if to say something very rude and unflattering. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Angela Lynch

Ahhh, what a relief to hit the weekend at last - not that I have to spend much time in class, but at least people don't criticize me for not being in class on the weekend. AND it's the big party coming up! I suppose technically I'm waiting to see who asks me, in practice I've been gently nudging Amy into going with me, either as friends or partners, since I know she wants to party, but I'm not having much luck, so if someone worthwhile asks I'll go along instead. For now, since I can hear people coming in, I kick off my bed and head into the lounge.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hot +2 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1

"Mm, I dunno..." I say to Kayla, while still sitting on my bed, cigarette in hand, "Being a student president is a lot of work. I'm not sure if it's something I really wanna do..." Plus, there's too much responsibility involved. Responsibility I don't want or need. I'm here because I want to party, and play my music, and I can't do either if I'm stuck dealing with things I don't care about. My least favorite part about being here is doing actual schoolwork. Classes, homework, tests, ugh, it's all so boring.

I'm here to have a good time, and so far, I've had lots of good times. The past two months have been a total blast, and I love being the center of attention wherever I go. Everybody wants to be me, and everybody wants to be with me, and I can't blame them. Not that many people here are as hot or as talented as I am.

...Well, actually, there is one person.

Angela.

My thoughts start drifting away from the current conversation, and towards Angela instead. I can't really tell you why I feel so attracted to her. Maybe it's her personality? Maybe it's because of how much of a free spirit she is? Or maybe it's because she's smoking hot?

Hm, isn't there a big party coming up? I was going anyways, so why don't I ask Angela out? I'm sure she'll accept. Who wouldn't want to go out with me?

"...I'll think about it, until then," I stub out my cigarette on the ashtray next to me, and stand up, "I'm going to get some food from the kitchen. I'll be back in a bit."

And, as soon as I exit from my room, I see Angela. "Hey, Angela!" I walk up closer to her, "You're going to the party, right? It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun! But, you know..." I lean in a little, "accidentally" showing off a bit of my cleavage, smiling a not-so-innocent smile, and give her a look that could mean so many things, "I'm sure it'd be a lot more fun if you and I go..." I walk up even closer to her, "together~?"

quote:

<@177170518145892353>: `2d6+2` turn on angela = (6+5)+2 = 13

String get! Self, awkward, or promise!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 24, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 2/5 | Location: Lounge | Conditions:

I breath a sigh of relief as Liam seems to have completely ignored me - a blessing sometimes, you know - and then turn and oh poo poo...

As if in slow motion, I fumble my meatball meal and it goes flying out of the silly little black plastic tray and upward into the air, arcing gracefully until it lands directly onto Eva's chest, shoulders, and neck. I- I freeze, my brain broken, chest tightening, stomach turning flips. This is a feeling worse than death - I should know. But then, everything in me wrenches back into place, and I'm spouting out a continuous apology while I grab paper towels and try to clean her up. "Oh god I'm so sorry I really didn't mean to I'm so sorry and I should've been paying better attention I'm so sorry I was just distracted I'm so sorry does it hurt I'm so sorry I swear I'll make this up to you..." and I'm about three towels deep when I realize I'm grabbing her... Oh god!

quote:

[9:04 AM] BOTSidekick: @Kevin - Frgrbrgr: 2d6-1 Turning on Eva = (1+6)-1 = 6
Marking experience

I pull back my hands as quickly as possible and look up at her in fear.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Kevin "Get off me you... you." Words appear to fail her as she ignores your awkward fumblings with the towels. "When I want your help you moron I'll ask for it." Eva takes a string on you. she says loudly as the whole room turns to stare at you. To judge you. What do you do?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

He's still sitting here. Why is he still sitting here?

"I....I guess," I sputter, vague about what I'm answering. "I...I think I've seen you there," I mention. I had. I'd seen the way he'd watch me when I ordered. "Pot?" I ask. Not that there aren't plenty of potential suppliers around.

I lean back when he leans forware. "Fine," I say, tersely, tensely. Before more pressing can go on, I'm startled and jerk in my chair, looking over to where Eva just got spicy meatballed. Some guy's groping the hell out of her. Fuuuuck.

It's a good distraction to slip out of my seat. Maybe I can at least wrangle some backup for all this. "H..hey, Angela?" I sputter, sneaking the briefest of glances at Joy, "Hey Joy," I add, and then, "So, uh, Liam's talking about going to that big PKT party? And you know, I wouldn't want to just go tmyself," I say, hoping the implication is clear, "so...you know..." I shrug.

SidekickBOT - Today at 4:31 PM
@Amy - Platonicsolid: 2d6-1 Turning on Angela = (4+5)-1 = 8

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Location: The Follie

When she jumps straight to pot, I update my mental picture. Alright, she likes to get a little loose. Cool, cool. I mean, it's not on the secret menu, but I could probably ask around for her? I say, "If that's your jam, sure thing." And hell yeah! She's definitely coming around to the party. Awesome. I'm digging it.

I look over at Eva's outburst and can't help but grimace when I see Kevin is like... fondling her. In the commons! Like, I get it dude, I'm a little thirsty myself. But drat! Daaaaamn! Dude's got some self-control issues. We're gonna have to have a chat or something later. I mean, I'm pretty chill with Eva and, obligated roommate loyalty or not, I can't really back him up when he's pulling poo poo like that.

When I look back to Amy, she's pulled a vanishing act. drat, the lady moves fast! I look around a little, but luckily she hasn't made it too far. It looks like she went to say hi to her roommate? Oh, and Joy is there too. Rad. I'll have to compliment her on that rad set last weekend. I hop back to my feet and mosey on over. I smile at Angela and Joy and say, "Hey Angela. 'Sup, Joy. Nice set last weekend. You've got a great sound." I look between the two of them. "No way you two are missing the party, right?"

Amy's somehow snuck around to the far side of the group, so I find myself between Angela and Joy. I know that Amy's trying to set me up with Angela... I think... so I err on the side of caution and stand a little closer to Joy. I look at her, "You ever think about doing an interview with WOKE? I'm on the mic a few times a week and we're all about the local scene."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:35 PM
@Liam - Tricky: 2d6+2 Turning on Joy! = (2+1)+2 = 5

XP!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: the Follie

This is a small college, but compared to home, it's still huge. The best part about it, to me, is being able to be anonymous for once -- going to huge classes in huge rooms where I'm faceless, nameless, unrecognized. After a childhood of growing up with people looking at me on the street, always being that Barnes girl, it's nice to not be looked at. I feel like I'm blending in with the pack.

The problem is... well, when you want to be noticed. I've been trying to figure out how to make friends, but it seems like everyone here does something, has some passion or another. What can I talk about? Piano? "Oh, by the way, I'm a werewolf?" I've never been interesting, not compared to these people. I need to de-inhibit, I guess... even if the moon is coming up. The change. But that's a few days from now, not tomorrow, so why not take Sandy up on her offer?

Sandy's not so bad, really. She's not around much, but that means I have privacy. If she likes to party, what's the harm? "Sure," I say. "Why not? You have anything in mind?" And... I pause. Getting hungry, a little. Should do something about that -- I don't make good decisions when I'm hungry. "... Thinking about making some popcorn. You want anything from the commons?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Her words hit me like a sack of bricks.... Moron! It echoes in my head, almost bringing pain, but worse - shame. Blood rushes to my cheeks and I lift my hands to hide my face. Tears are coming - I'm such a moron! I can feel the eyes of everyone - of Eva, Amy, Angela, Liam, oh god JOY! I sob, then spin and bolt for the door. I don't care... I just need to get back to the safety of my room!

quote:

[3:59 PM] BOTSidekick: @Kevin - Frgrbrgr: 2d6+1 Run Away from your problems, ghosty ghost = (5+4)+1 = 10

I sprint out of the lobby, my thoughts absorbed in escaping my shame. Maybe I can go live in the woods...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Angela

Well, there is something going on in the kitchenette section of the lounge, with... whatever his name is and Eva, but any attention I would normally have been using to watch - and probably laugh - that with is used on the very appealing view Joy is offering me. Inside, I'm cheering. I thought she was into me! And I'm usually not wrong. Sure, I might not be super into her music scene, but she's hot as hell and probably going to be a rockstar or something judging by how everyone else goes on with her. She's probably the closest I'll get to banging a celebrity for a few years still and she's totally wants me. I can't help but grinning. 'Accidentally' or not, she's giving me quite the look down her shirt, and I am taking full advantage of it - very obviously. "Yeah, it's supposed to be great!" Smiling, I lick my lips as I move in closer to her, staring down even more obviously to make sure she knows exactly where I'm looking. "Together? Oh, I think we'll..." With hardly any space between the two of us now, I reach a hand around to press lightly against her back and slide it slowly downward, tugging her forward ever so slightly. "...make a night you'll never forget."

Giving self/promise to go with her
turn on Joy: 2d6+1 6
Using Unashamed to make that a 9 - Take another string on me, and pick awkward/self/promise

"Now..." I'm almost tempted to try and drag her off into my room so we can get started early, but there are ways to do things - and Amy is coming up. I don't take my hand from Joy's behind, simply giving it a very gentle squeeze and turning both of us to face my cursed roommate. Wait, poo poo, did she just ask me to come to the party with her, right after I told Joy I would, figuring Amy was a deadend this time? Dammit! Actually, maybe she wants a wingwoman for Liam? Or does she want me to be her excuse not to go with Liam? Hm. I'm not sure what the correct read on this situation is. "You want a double date?" Leaning in towards her, I lower my voice since Liam just came over to talk to Joy, "or did you want me to give you cover to avoid going with L? I already said I'd go with Joy, but if you want me to help you hook up or make sure you don't, you know, get in trouble, I'm your girl." Man, I really want to take her AND Joy to the party. That'd loving rule.

Promising to help Amy out with whatever she was looking for

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I grin when Angela agrees to go to the party with me, and I grin even wider when she gets even closer to me. God, she's so loving hot. I bring my lips up to her ear, brushing them slightly with my lips, and whisper, "I'm really looking forward to it~"

Promising to give self during/after the party!

I almost hate that I have to wait until the night of the party. A part of me wants to take her somewhere a little more... private, and get started early, but I suppose I can try to be patient. It's something to look forward to~

...Unfortunately, the mood is slightly ruined when Amy shows up. "Hi, Amy," I say, in a slightly cold tone. Is she seriously trying to ask Angela out to the party? Sorry, girl, but you're a little too late there, she's going with me.

And then Liam shows up as well. Ah well, at least he's easy on the eyes. "Thanks! And you bet we are," I bring an arm around Angela's waist, "We're planning to have lots of fun at the party."

"An interview, huh? My schedule's a little booked, but I'll think about it. Anyways, what about you? You planning on going to the party?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Liam: "Wait you work for WOKE?" A loud voice says from behind you. "Tell your so called sports reporter to stop giving me and my boys so much poo poo. Competitions tough but we're doing our best and he ain't helping talking trash about the god ole Steers." Robbie Richards, the "star" Quarterback all muscle and mouth but with no brains to back them up. Of course the fact that the Springberg Steers haven't won a game all season might explain why they've been getting some crap reporting wouldn't it. But more importantly right now he's distracting you from what's important. Amy! How are you going to get rid of him?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Oh for craps sake, Angela, you're so transparent. Can't deny I'm a little jealous. Wish I could be that bold. Used to be I couldn't, now I can't but for other reasons. But...good for her, I guess.

"Uh..." I fidget with my hair and shift my weight awkwardly. Liam has Joy temporarially distract and I lean in to Angela's whisper. "I don't want to hurt anybody and I don't know him but he's super into me and if it's group then it's just a dorm buddies thing right?" Something about Joy's stance...that look on her face and the movement of her shoulder back. poo poo, is she jealous? I take a step back, squeezing Angela's hand briefly, and say normally, "I just thought it'd be fun if the whole dorm went. Be each others...party...buddies." I probably should drop that term.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I grin, "Hell yeah! I hear it's going to be the party. I'm not about to let a little paper stop me from living it up." I look over at Amy, now distracted with a conversation with a whispered conversation with Angela, and can't help but get a slightly dopey look on my face as I confess in a lower voice. "I'm trying to line up a date myself."

Of course, Amy chimes back in with this whole group date thing. Gotta admit that I'm doing a little game theory here. Alright, alright. So Angela and Joy: Item. Very item. Amy: Wants to be party buddies. Possibly even party buddies. I'm liking the sounds of this whole group thing. Going by the way those two are going at it already, I'm sure I'll get a chance to spend some quality party time with Amy when Joy and Angela wander off. I start to say, "Yeah, that sounds great! I'm digging it-"

And... now it's our 'star quarterback' with the interruption. I look him over. Jesus. If he was half as good at football as he was at 'roiding it up, our team would be NFL-level. I'm... gonna have to play this all diplomatically. I'm good in a scrap, but I'm not Superman. Ugh. I just want to talk to Amy and get this party thing sorted out and maybe, like, talk about some music or something before my shift. Fuckin' jocks.

I turn towards Robbie and say, "Alright, man, I'll let him know. Go Steers and all that." Ugh. Y'know, I can't just let that go. College radio pride and all. "Actually, you know what? I've got a better idea. Why don't you guys show him by actually winning a game for once? I'm sure he wants to give y'all some positive coverage, but you lot aren't giving him anything to work with."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:45 PM
@Liam - Tricky: 2d6-1 Shut Down the big scary muscle man! This can't possibly go wrong! = (4+6)-1 = 9

Taking a String on Robbie!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: the Follie

Popcorn in hand, still working through the mechanics of the party -- Christ, do I have anything to wear? Will anyone care, or is this not high school? God I hope this isn't high school -- I head out into the hall just in time to run into... almost literally... Kevin. He looks panicked and ashamed, and... well, it's a little bit pretty, isn't it? He's at his best that way.

poo poo. I have to pretend we haven't met, haven't I? I'm not sure we've met. Better to fake it than have him ask questions.

"Hey," I say, gently. "Are you okay?" I step forward a bit, offering him my arm and shoulder to lean on if he needs to steady himself. "Whatever it is, it's okay now. Promise."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 2:57 AM
@Margot - Antivehicular: 2d6+2 Turn On Kevin Like An Opportunistic Predator = (5+4)+2 = 11

String and reaction!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Angela

Amy... I don't think that's going to work. The look on, Liam, yeah,'s face is pretty clearly not the kind of one that'll be put off by this being a 'group date'. Though if it'll get Amy to the party, I'm thinking I should go along with her plan anyway, even if it is doomed. I can watch out for her and make this work, I think. "Just a sec Amy," I flash her a reassuring smile as I turn back to Joy, who chose that moment to coil her arm around my waist, so it quickly turns into a grin. Wiggling just enough for my hips to bump teasingly against her own, I tip my head in towards her this time, and start discussing things in an undertone with her. Luckily Liam is distracted by Robbie picking a fight about... something or another.

"so I think what we're dealing with is Liam is really into Amy and asked her out, but she isn't and wants to let him down gently. Do you mind letting her tag along with us so she's got an excuse to avoid him? We should be able to find a chance to have our fun before the party goes on too long, and if not..." Reaching my hand not still resting on her behind up, I walk my fingers along the bare nape of her neck, making each step a stroke, and pull her head in a little closer, my lips brushing her ear. "I'll make it up to you at our private after party. Sound good?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

That look on Liam's face makes me think I've made a horrible, horrible mistake. I was trying to be too nice, not upset anybody or anything...he's going to hound me the whole party, isn't he? I should just not go...

Angela's conspiring with Joy, and I'd not be at all surprised if they just boned down right here in the lounge. Which would be cool, I guess, but we eat here. I curl my lips in and take a small step back from the group, ready to bolt.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I shiver a little over Angela's touch. I should say no. I want to say no... but I can't. As much as I dislike being around Amy, I can't say no to Angela when she gives me that look. "...Okay, we'll let her come along," I whisper back to her, "...As long as you and I get to have some quality time after the party."

I hesitantly pull myself away from Angela for a bit to look over at Amy. "Well, you're free to join us, if you want," An idea suddenly springs to mind, "...Actually, going as a group doesn't sound like a bad idea. I could get my band to come along with us, too. We can all go as one, big group." I could probably ask Chris or Kayla to watch over Amy, and make sure that Liam doesn't bother her. I could ask Lexi too, but she's way too unreliable (and she'd probably rather get drunk off her rear end). As long as any of them are watching over her, I'll be able to spend more private time with Angela~

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Well, that settled that. I turn back to the group and see that they're all... whispering to each other. Huh. Well, maybe they're just planning some group stuff? Like a pregame sesh or something. Yeah, that's gotta be it. I look over at Joy and say, "Sure thing, that sounds like a good time." It was also sounding harder and harder to actually spend any time with Amy, but... Well, I can cross that bridge tomorrow.

Y'know, if I'm not crazy... It seems like maybe Angela's leading this whole plan? I haven't really had a chance to get to know her or anything. Maybe I'm coming off like a creep or something? Obviously, I'm just a totally chill dude who wants to show Amy a good time. But I guess I might see how it comes off like that. Ah, whatever. I'll just make my case on the down-low and I'm sure she'll come around on me.

While Amy and Joy discuss things, I sidle over to Angela and say in a low voice, "Hey, uh, sorry if it seems like I'm coming off a little strong here, but I think Amy's really cool and it's been hard to catch her in the commons. Any way you could help me out...? It'd mean a lot." I catch her eyes and just give her both barrels of charm. Y'know, people always told me I have amazing eyes. I guess it's never something that I've noticed about myself, but if it helps... I give her one last quick, earnest smile and say, "Just think about it, alright?"

Stepping back to a safer distance, I take a quick look around the commons. Where the heck did Kevin go? That kid was seriously sneaky.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:09 AM
@Liam - Tricky: 2d6+2 Liam goes for the classic roommate Turn On! = (5+5)+2 = 12

Taking a string and Angela picks self/promise/awkward.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

I look up over at Joy, almost getting the hair out of my face, until a quick shake brings it back. "A secret show?" I ask with an excited smile. "That'd be so slick," I say. "I could drum up some people, like, from the Art department? They go for underground shows like a cat for...uh...catnip, I guess. You know, if you want to make it a thing."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I hit the hallway and my speed-walk almost breaks into a sprint - but hey, all I have to do is make it back to my room, right? Home sweet home. That is... until...

BANG! One of the many room doors is thrown open and I almost run into it. I quickly sidestep and almost collide with... uh whatsername I haven't seen her around much... Morgan? Margot? I think that's it. I gulp as she gets close to me, suddenly very aware of how close we are, the sudden surprising look in her eyes, the tears in mine, and the very likely possibility that I smell strongly of Swedish meatballs. And then she - she takes a step closer to me and holds out her arm... and blood rushes suddenly to my cheeks as I realize the soft beauty of her face, hidden behind a mess of curly hair. She's gorgeous, I find myself thinking - then realize I 'm just staring at her.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I..." I look down at her offered arm, then reach out and grab it dumbly with my hand, holding it awkwardly. "Uh... thanks. Sorry I... I didn't mean to almost run into you." I reach up with my other hand and wipe away my tears. "Just uh... sorry I... sorry sorry." I can feel myself blushing and curse in my mind at how dumb I am. I can't even look at her. Here I am in a hallway, having just splattered Eva, and now I'm talking to some beautiful girl. You don't deserve this... a voice inside me says. You're only going to make her hate you...

Suddenly, I pull back my hand, blushing again as I turn to hide my face, "Sorry... I gotta go...sorry..." With that, I move past her and start to open the door to my dorm room.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Angela
"Quality and quantity time. You won't regret it." I beam at Joy, quite pleased with her choice, giving her behind one last squeeze before she moves off to tell Amy. The game plan. Their conversation seems to be going well based on what I can see of Amy's expression, so I let Liam tug me off to the side.

"Wellllll..." I frown slightly at him, starting to shift from side to side uncomfortably aware of him. He's a lot better looking up close, hot enough that he might end up with a spot on my list. That said, I don't really want to make any promises here, his appearance doesn't have anything to do with Amy not wanting this. "I-" I change track, "Yeah, she is pretty cool. I've been trying to get her to come to a party for ages, so I guess I owe you one." I manage a small smile as he backs away. Not my smoothest answer, but hopefully that'll be enough to satisfy him. It sounds like what he wants without actually saying anything committal.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: the Follie, Hallway

The hallway's wide open, but it feels like I've got Kevin cornered. I feel like I can almost smell his fear, his high-strung nerves. It would be easy to go in for the kill, as it were...

... but no, I'm better than that. Aren't I? Kevin deserves better than that. I just smile. "Okay. Well, if you need to talk, you know where I am, okay? Sign on the door, right by the stairwell. Door's always open." And with that, I make my way by him towards the lounge. Hopefully he'll take me up on it, sometime he's a little more... together.

(Or when he's not, he's delicious that way.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I kind of nod along like she's saying some stuff I completely agree with, but honestly I'm still trying to parse how we got from there to here in the conversation. Maybe she misheard me? Well... Mission accomplished? She did say she owed me one, after all, so... maybe she'll put in a good word? ...Yeah, not even I'm buying that one. Whatever. I'll just take care of this myself. I need to be heading to the Grind pretty soon and it's not like the subtle approach seems to be getting anywhere.

I look over at Amy and say, "Uh, hey. I gotta get going pretty soon, but it's been good chatting. So we're on for tomorrow?" I flash her a brilliant smile. I can't exactly see what's going on in her head through that curtain of hair, but I hope she's as stoked about it as I am.

Spending a string to tempt Amy into agreeing to be my date to the party!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

drat he's relentless. He's not....hard on the eyes. Something about it rubs me the wrong way, like it's some crazy MRA pickup-artist bullshit. On the other hand, he seems totally sincere...wouldn't he, though. Ultimately it's looking over at Angela that makes up my mind. She's so kickass-fuckyou about things, she wouldn't let this kind of thing tie her in knots, and I know she's got my back. Much as I miss Sasha...Angela's pretty cool too.

"Sure," I say. "Fine," a bit flat-toned. "See you tomorrow."

I slip away quickly and head back to Angela and Joy. "So...I guess I said yes? I mean he's not a creep....right?" I ask her. "And uh, I'll need to borrow some clothes. Something hot, so I can ditch him if I need to."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

In the very distant past...

Liam: "Whatever, weedy" Robbie sneers take the condition weedy "Beside Coach has a plan where we can't lose. Once we get everything in place tomorrow... Err I mean once we get some proper training done. Yeah that's what I meant all along." he adds with a brief glare before wandering off to do whatever it is Jocks do all day.

Scene 2

It's Saturday! Which means it's party time. Woo hoo, now this is the college lifestyle you (may not) have signed up for. There's been a queue for the showers for the last two hours and the dorms are rocking to the sound of music.

Kevin Well I've got good news and bad news for you. The good news is what with everyone being so concerned with getting ready for the party they've kinda forgotten about meatballgate. The bad news is well they've also kinda forgotten about you. So if you go you'll be kinda going without a date on your own and you'll stand out like a sore thumb. So are you still going to go or not?

Liam: Well this is it. The big day, the time when you're finally ready to make your move. Of course the other girls might make things a little awkward but hey maybe you can find something or someone to distract them. Speaking of, Kevin's still umming an aahing about going maybe you can persuade him to go with you. He'd make a great wingman and hell maybe you can find him a date while you're both there right. So how are you going to persuade him to go along with your plan?

Amy How many clothes can one girl have? I mean seriously this what the fifth? sixth? outfit she's had you try on and she's still not convinced it's right. And some of them well they may suit her but they're totally not you. What was the worst thing she had you wear? And what have you found that you really like?

Joy drat this is harder than it looks. I mean Amy isn't bad looking is she but it's still a challenge finding just the right look for her isn't it. I mean the band have been helping a little in between fixing their own clothes. Which of them is the best at fashion anyway? As for Amy you've got just the thing to go with her outfit that'll stun any of the boys dead. What is it?

Margot "Come on, you're not gonna let me finish this on my own are you." Sandy asks slurring her words at least a little as she gets a good headstart on the pre-drinks. Are you joining her in that or are you trying to keep a clear head for now? Who did she suggest as a date for you anyway and did you take her up on it?

Angela Party Party Party! drat you really are excited aren't you. I mean you've got Amy to drag along and then there's all the fun that Joy promised you afterwards... This should be the best party ever for you right? Still on the off chance the party is kinda lame what have you got planned that would really liven things up? Come on I know you're up to something I know what that glint is in your eye. Spill.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Weedy | Location: Room 8

I sigh, leaning against the wall, as I look over at Kevin, "C'mon, dude, you've got to go to this party. Like I've been telling you, there's a big group of us going. Like Amy, Angela, Joy and her crew... Probably some others too, you know? So I don't even know why you're worried about not having a date. poo poo happens, everyone's gonna be too busy living it up to give you any grief."

I check my watch, grimacing when I notice the time, then start stripping out of my usual day-to-day gear. I need to get changed. I toss my shirt onto my bed, then look back at Kevin, "And, between the two of us, I need you on my wing tonight. I think I've got this thing with Amy on lock, but I dunno if her friends are on the same page." The pants go next. "You do this for me, I'll..." I pause. Memories of meatballs, gravy, and awkward groping fill my mind. "I'll smooth things over for you with Eva next time we're on the same shift. Hell, I'm sure we can find you a date at the party. Maybe one of Joy's girls? Sandy?"

I turn around, now just in boxers, and meet his eyes. Or... are his eyes going lower? Nah, I must be imagining things. I cross my arms, "C'mon! It'll be good for you! Maybe you're a little..." I wave my hands in a vaguely spooky gesture. "...dead or whatever, but you've gotta live a little! Get some!"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 4:43 PM
@Liam - Tricky: 2d6+2 Liam goes for the classic roommate Turn On... again! = (3+3)+2 = 8

String, self, promise, or awkward.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 2/5 | Location: Room 8 | Conditions:

I tug awkwardly at the back of my neck as Liam half-undresses half-jabbers at me to convince new to go to this party thing. I stammer incredulously as he speaks, "J-joy? ... E-eva? ... S-Sandy?!"

Every girl he lists is frightening for some reason. The one you dumped meatballs on. The one with a party hard mentality and probably a drug addiction. The one that you... lo- No. Not that. That would be too... much. The girl you have a crush on. A crush that will likely never go anywhere... dying just the way you did. All strung out then smashed to pieces. Hopeless.

Still, it's for Liam, whose been nice enough about the whole... being dead thing. I still can't tell how seriously he is taking that, I think as he brings it up again so easily. Live a little... for a moment, everything gets dark, and I'm back there hanging, just waiting for the end. Something bubbles just under the surface...

...but then I see Liam looking straight at me, wearing nothing but boxers... and what comes instead is sudden embarrassment. My cheeks flush red as I throw a shirt at him, "Dude! Put a shirt on!"

Still, his offer is intriguing... and I suddenly remember my encounter earlier with that other girl down the hall, Margot. She seemed nice. Maybe I could... I gulp. "Fine," I finally say to Liam. "I'll go... but Sandy's a little..." I suddenly remember he's probably slept with her a ton, "I mean, sorry, she's great... but maybe her... roommate? The quiet one? Could you... maybe could you ask her for me?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Weedy | Location: Room 8

I think for a moment, "Hmm, yeah... What's-her-face... Margot, I think? Yeah, I'll help you out. Roommates gotta stick together, right?" I grin widely. "It's gonna be a night to remember, that's for drat sure!" I toss the shirt he tossed at me onto my bed, then grab out my party clothes from the dresser. Admittedly it's pretty much the same as my usual jeans and flannel, but... you know, nicer. Something that's not gonna need dry cleaning when the beer goes flying, but is cool enough to blend in with the right crowd.

I'm about halfway through pulling on my pants when it occurs to me to ask, "So have you ever talked to her or anything? I mean, I said I'd do it either way, but it'd be a helluva lot easier if she knows who you are." Though, honestly, given it's Kevin... maybe not? I shrug, then finish dressing up. As I artfully perch my beanie on my head, I give him a big thumbs-up. "Alright, no time like the present, right? If Amy stops by, let her know that I'll be right back."

I throw the door open and immediately the wall of sound hits me. Say what you will about the college itself, but the Follie crew is definitely making the most of their four... or, really, four-plus years of undergrad education. I slip on through the crowded hall until I'm in front of Sandy and Margot's room. I knock a couple of times and say, "Hey, you guys here? It's Liam from down the hall."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Location: Joy's Room

Looking into Joy's closet has been illuminating. It's enormous - even though I know it's really only the size of the rest of our closets. Somehow it seems bigger inside than out. I expect to see a faun and a Jesus allegory lion in there. On top of that Kayla's here too, and she and Joy have been throwing everything they can at me. It all makes me feel like a little girl trying on her mother's shoes - they're working at a whole other level, and just tossing it at me. Kayla passed me one outfit that I swear is just belts, and Joy thought it was hilarious to get me into a skin-tight catsuit. Here I was just looking for like, a nice skirt and maybe a blouse or something.

I turn around with the latest item, which I think's my favorite. I try to strike a pose, which does not at all come naturally. "How about this?" I say, glancing down at myself. "I kinda like it." It's got some color, even if it's muted, the hem isn't too high or too low. "If you have boots, maybe some gloves?" I ask, betraying real excitement.

SidekickBOT - Today at 3:02 PM
@Amy - Platonicsolid: 2d6-1 Fashion show turnon! = (1+1)-1 = 1
Uh, that did not go well. Taking my XP.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: My room

I thought finding the right clothes for Amy would've been a total drag, but it's actually been a lot of fun so far! Sure, finding the right look for her is a big challenge, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It helps that I have Kayla helping me out, too. Lexi is actually the most fashion minded out of all of us, but I'd have better luck pulling out my own teeth than trying to get her to help, and while Kayla might not have the same fashion knowledge Lexi does, she knows enough to put together a good-looking outfit.

Speaking of good-looking... now that I've gotten a closer look at her, Amy isn't all that bad looking. She's actually kinda cute... in her own, weird way. I wonder why I've always been so nervous around her before?

I cringe a little when she strikes her little pose. Yea, she is not good at this. Still, I have to admit, the outfit she picked does look nice on her. "I think the dress suits you, but..." I walk up a little closer to her, "We need to do something about your hair. It's a mess!" I gently run a hand through her hair, brushing past her cheeks, "I can barely see your eyes! How do you expect to impress anybody if they can't see your eyes?" I move my head in closer to hers, "Come on, why don't you show them to me? I'm sure you must have some beautiful eyes!"

quote:

@Joy - Hugzilla: 2d6+2 turn on Amy = (2+2)+2 = 6

Using a string to turn that into a 7! Promise/Self/Awkward/String!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

So here I am, party outfit more or less in hand, jerkily trying to look like an adult. But it's been...fun! Kayla's had ideas and Joy's been...

"It's..." I protest, weakly, seeing how Joy's looking at me. My eyes dart under that fringe of my hair. "I have an...eye...condition," I say. I should have hammered out an excuse for stuff like this. Joy's right up on me, touching me, my hair, my cheek. She smells good. I breathe in quick, close my eyes, and kiss her.

Giving self, because drama!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Angela

Ahh, this is going to be great! So much to look forward to tonight, and I've got my private stash packed if the party turns out to be a dud. For now, I've just been relaxing on Joy's bed and half watching youtube videos on my laptop and half watching Joy play dress up on Amy. I don't really have anything her style, so I haven't been participating besides looking over to see what they're trying every once in awhile. Nothing's really worked, Joy has quite the selection, but none of it is really Amy's style. Still, the it's not like I'm not having fun, seeing Amy in outfits she'd never normally wear, and snickering quietly to myself at my videos, but I'm not really listening until I hear Joy say eyes. It takes a second to register, then I look up sharply, hand moving towards the lightswitch to plunge the room into darkness. Before I can though... I watch in silence for a moment, eyebrows raising enough that it probably looks like they're trying to escape my head. This is way better than I could have hoped for. Come on Joy, kiss her back! Double date - the fun kind, come on! To help things along, I let out a cheer, "woo!" and then wolf whistle, trying to get Joy into the mood, and let her know I'm definitely into this.

@Angela - godfish: 2d6+1 turn on Joy = (2+6)+1 = 9

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Location: Makeout Room

"Mph!" Amy's kiss catches me completely by surprise. I would have pushed her off of me... if it wasn't for Angela's cheering in the back. Angela... she's enjoying this, isn't she? Well, I am an entertainer, and of it's a show she wants, it's a show she'll get.

I motion to Kayla with one hand, letting her know it would probably be best for her to leave the room before things get steamy. After that, I kiss Amy back, as deeply as I can, my hands moving around her body. I make sure Angela has a good view of the show while this is going on. I put everything I have into the kiss.

We finally break, and I turn my head to look at Angela, while keeping my arms wrapped around Amy, a sly smile crossing my lips, "Did you enjoy the show?"

Giving self! Kinda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Oh god. I was so desperate to avoid eye contact, I just...dove in and...why? Why did I *kiss* her!?

This must be why. It's nice. It's warm. She's warm, her hand moving across my back and pulling me in and I do the same. It comes so naturally, my lizard brain's just doing it without me even wanting it to. But I do, I do want it to and Angela's....cheering. That throws my stomach for a loop. Joy finally breaks it, as we're still locked together, embracing intimately. I sputter a few times. "A...angela, I..." I'm blushing furiously. I'd avoid looking at either of them, even if I weren't a monster.

• Locked thread