Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Sacrifice is a unique blend of story driven third person action and real time strategy. It takes place in a world where there was once only one god, but some bad poo poo happened and now there are 5 different ones instead. The current pantheon doesn't always see eye to eye, however, and as a wizard that's where we come in. You can generally choose a different god to side with every single mission, which gives the game a high amount of replayability. The game also feature some excellent voice acting with a 10/10 cast for the era...or now even.

If you want to play the game for yourself, you can pick it up over at GOG or Steam.

About the Playthroughs
I'm going to do something I don't normally do and allow the people watching to make important gameplay decisions. Basically, you all will be able to vote on which god we side with every episode. Every episode these gods are going to offer us different missions to go on, and for siding with a god they grant us a unique unit to summon and / or a new spell, but as I recall we'll still have all our old units and spells from previous missions at our disposal. You don't need to worry about what specific gifts we get from a god on a particular mission - the game should be completable no matter what. Just pick whoever you like the most or whoever has the most compelling mission. There is a catch, though. These gods don't get along, and eventually some of them will refuse to work with us based on who we've supported in the past.

The second playthrough is one where I choose the gods.

How to Vote :siren: :siren:
I'm using YouTube's poll system for voting which involves an icon ("cards") that will show up in the upper right hand corner of the video. You'll need to temporarily turn on annotations to see it. You should be able to vote from a computer or mobile device. Not sure about smart TV's or game systems, etc.

The community playthrough is complete, but I'm doing a second playthrough where I choose the missions.

Update Schedule
Both playthroughs are complete!

Thread Rules
Just tag your spoilers / hints for this game until we've covered the topic or mission in a video.
Now that we've completed the game once, I'm not worried about spoilers.

Episodes

Community Playthrough

Series Playlist

Rojo's Playthrough

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Everything is pretty low poly / low res, but the game makes great use of color.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 24, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
The Gods
These are the gods we can side with, as well as a bit about them from the manual, for those who are interested.

Persephone

pre:
From the Book of Persephone:

We are the essence of life. Throughout the ages, We have been known by many names and in many forms. In
this time and this place, it must suffice that we are Persephone. And in that name shall you find the Great
Healer, who mends the ills of the flesh and cleanses the blemishes of the soul. And you shall come to know
We have always stood beside you, in forms more familiar: The beauty and purity of the maiden is Our
reflection. The comforting bosom of the mother flows from Us. The wisdom of the matriarch is but a shadow
of Our own. Yea, We are the very essence of life.

Our vision is one of peace. Our path, of mercy. We see--as you must also--how those who do not follow Us
have been deceived or corrupted by the forces of wickedness. Thus, in their weakness, have they been lured
into an existence of treachery and debasement. We weep for them, knowing there is no greater sin against
oneself than the failure to believe in one's own worth. And there is no greater sin against Us than the failure
to stand by Our side in righteousness.

Learn from their failure and do not fear to seek the greatness within yourself. For even as We are justice, you,
as Our servant, must strive to be justice incarnate. So shall you find within yourself a greater good and greater
might than would even have touched your dreams ere now. We promise that in the pursuit of justice shall you
find peace within yourself.

Lo, and behold, even as Our teachings grant inner harmony, Our realms are a paragon of outer tranquillity.
Our lands are the rolling, verdant plains and sweet, sheltering forests of Elysium. These are the most
resplendent and glorious realms in all the world, and Our creatures the most joyous and content. For all who
follow Us, whether of mean birth or noble nature, share in the blessings of Our grace, and thus are the mighty
instructed in Our love of humility. Indeed, the devout Fyllid, who provide Druids and Rangers to tend our
sacred groves, hold themselves not above the beasts of the field or the simple peasants who each day glory in
Our divine mercy.

What, then, shall be your role, in Our grand design? Dare you choose to be a hero, to be an agent of justice?
Or shall you fade into the obscurity, self-loathing and emptiness of a life unfulfilled? 'Tis common enough, if
you seek an excuse for mediocrity. Innumerable are the souls who shrink from the call of destiny and shirk
the mantle of greatness. Can you not see how meager and lowly are the forces which drive them astray? Fear,
doubt, sloth, temerity. Are any of these a worthy match for that which you strive to be... that which you can
and should be? We shall guide you down the true path if you so desire, and you shall possess power
overwhelming, and Our covenant with you shall be as simple and strong as it is pure:

Love Us and We shall requite your love a hundred-fold.

Defy Us and that day you shall surely die.

The choice is yours.

MYSTICISM
As a defender of Elysium, you shall be granted insights into the primal forces of life and nature. Much of what
you learn shall grant you powers of protection and healing, but it is not the role of a mystic to award mercy
and succor without discretion. For as you shall see in Us, compassion may hold dominion over the heart, but
wisdom must temper the hand.
James

pre:
From the Book of James:

I am James, God of Earth. You know, rocks and soil and stuff. Some nice gems too. It’s not all brown and gray
you know. Just… mostly. I would never claim to be the most exciting of gods, but I ain’t here to entertain
folks. I’m here to protect ‘em and to guide ‘em. I’ll tell you straight up, if it’s peace and quiet you want, I’m
your deity. Why should folks be questing for anything? Or go looking for trouble? Or stick their noses is other
folks business? Or always muck about trying to change the world? This is the world. Feel it solid beneath your
feet. I don’t see as there’s much need for change at all.

That’s the attitude folks’ take in the Glebe. They look after themselves and don’t much get in each other’s
business. A fellow’s farm is his castle, if you take my meaning. It’s a place of tranquillity and prosperity. I see
to both of ‘em, and the people are glad for it. Now don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying there’s no room in the
Glebe for someone to be great or to stand out or to do amazing things. What I’m saying is that nobody’s gonna
tell you what it means to be great. You get to decide that for yourself. I, for one, think this attitude is more
likely than not to bring out the best in folks… and it causes a whole rock-load less headaches in the meantime.

Tramping about with some other god, you’ll never be as safe as you would be in the Glebe, with the earth to
shield you and provide for all your needs. The truth of it is, if you want to reach great heights, my granite’s
the best foundation to build on. It don’t matter what you bring or where you want to go. I got room for it
here, and I’ll do my best to see that you get everything what’s coming to you. That’s a simple promise from a
simple god. It’s even written in stone, if you like.

GEOMANCY
If you want to help me out, you’d best learn a thing or two about geomancy. That’s a fancy name for earthtype
magic, which is just my kind of thing. As you learn more about it, it’ll prolly be just your kind of thing
too.
Stratos

pre:
From the Book of Stratos:

I am Stratos, God of Air and Supreme Lord of the Heavens. I am the bringer of storms. The mover of the
firmament. Ah, let's do be honest, shall we? In any halfway-civilised world, I would be the only god.

My true form is too divine for mortal eyes to bear, but I find that lacking physical representation, I am too
abstract for mortal comprehension. Some even have the temerity to believe me to be an unthinking elemental
force. Au contraire. I am as cerebral as I am celestial. All of which I present as a simple explanation for the
form in which you now observe me. Sleek, refined and dignified. A form nearly worthy of my perfection.

Speaking of which: It is not merely mastery of the heavens and all things godlike that lead me to this claim
of superior divinity. (Although, if I may momentarily digress, I am master of the celestial and the elemental,
the transcendental and the temporal, the meteorological and the epistemological, to name but a few of my
areas of expertise.) No, such simple braggadocio does not speak to the quintessential nature of me. It is merely
the plainest of facts that I am smarter, cleverer, and more insightful than all the other gods combined.

Look at my creations if you are in need of further evidence: Empyrea is, literally and figuratively, the loftiest
of all realms. Its inhabitants more talented than any other’s. The great libraries that hold the chronicles of our
time are to be found in Empyrea. (If I may be candid, I am not certain many of the other gods’ followers even
know how to read.) Sacrosanct peaks onto which no mortal foot has tread: Also in Empyrea. (There are places
in Dys where mortals do not go, to be sure, but it is for lack of interest, not ability.) From the fantastical to
the fearsome, the elusive to the erudite, Empyrea—much as her lord—reigns supreme.

ELEMENTALISM
Many are the names which one might properly apply to the disciplines that are studied by my wizards:
theurgy, thaumaturgy, sophistry, and so on, ad infinitum, but the preferred term is Elementalism. True, it does
not include any of that crude fire-starting or rock-tossing that some arcane (or should I say "inane") scholars
associate with the Elements, but let us leave that to the lesser wizards (and lesser gods). Mastery over air and
frost and storms is far superior.
Pyro

pre:
From the Book of Pyro:

I am Pyro. God of Fire. They will tell you I am the god of Destruction and Chaos, but that is not entirely
true. Pyro is the spark of imagination and the engine of industry. Pyro is the bringer of knowledge and the
bearer of light.

Why do they slander me? Fear and jealousy. I expose their deficiencies. Persephone demands order. What is
wrong with order, you say? Nothing, except when it really means fearfully clinging to the past and never
taking the steps necessary to improve the world around you. Order cannot be allowed to stop Progress.
Charnel promises everyone strife. He glories in it, or so he pretends. The truth is Charnel is afraid. He never
builds anything because what if it doesn’t work? If he loses a battle, he says, "What does it matter? My
creatures were already dead." Cowardice! Then there is Stratos. Stratos is more craven than Charnel--if that is
possible. At least Charnel pretends to stand for something. Stratos hides behind a veneer of neutrality and a
supposedly noble love of the truth. Pity him most of all; for his lies are innumerable and he believes them all.
And as for the god of earth… don’t get me started on him.

They are jealous of what Pyro has wrought: The great furnaces of Pyroborea burn day and night, channelling
the souls and life blood of my slaves into the creation of ever more powerful machines. Machines to make
machines. Machines to fix machines. Machines to design machines. The slaves are only fuel, you see. Oh, I
make no denials about its brutality, but you will come to appreciate brutality. Not the random mayhem of
Charnel or the false justice of Persephone. No, the brutality of the crucible. Honest. Purifying. Inescapable.

There is an odour here, acrid and sulfurous. The medley of burning flesh and metal. How sweet is that aroma!
Some call it pain and chaos, but it is progress plain and simple. I know you are not yet ready to appreciate it.
I know it is frightening. You must burn away those parts of yourself that cannot love the smell of progress.
Burn them utterly and savour the stench. All my followers do. It makes them strong. It makes them make me
strong. If Pyro did not bring them progress, they would cast him aside and find a new god. That is as it should
be.

SORCERY
Fire. The words do not exist to describe the beauty and the power of fire. Pyro would invent words to do the
job, but this is unnecessary. Fire is already the best form of its own expression. Why be a poet of words, when
you can be a poet of fire? That is what Pyro says. And that is why you will want to be a sorcerer, an artist with
the flame.
Charnel

pre:
From the Book of Charnel:

I am Charnel, God of Strife, Lord of Slaughter, Master of Death. Where there is pain, I am there. Where there
is suffering, I flourish. Where there is joy… yes, well, one could hardly have joy without another’s suffering,
no?

I am called a villain, but mine is a doctrine reflected in the unspoken truths behind all other philosophies.
Recognise that truth, my child: Strife is the single element most essential to meaning and existence. Without
conflict, without struggle, all of creation might as well be so many unmoving, unfeeling stones. Without me
to hate, who would have cause to call themselves holy or just? Oh, only a fool would seek contentment in
peace and tranquillity.

Come see, come see. I hold dominion over the lands of Stygia, which coil with serpentine grace, engulfing the
holdings of my foes. Vile and putrid ground, formed of the flesh of the dead, running with rivers of blood,
plagued by swarming vermin--ah, it gives me chills whenever I think of it. Here you will find obsidian
gateways to demonic realms, an especial treat for unwitting guests. Witness also the cruel prisons wherein are
tortured those rare souls among my enemies who are worthy of such attention, and perhaps a random
assortment of others to keep the cells occupied. Oh, but do not overlook the mockeries called villages,
populated by mindless zombies--you really must appreciate their simplicity--whose greatest ambition is to toil
and die in my service. Well now, those of low ambition deserve what they get, no?

But I believe you know this, and that is what has brought you to me. If you possess both the hunger and the
courage to embrace it, you may yet prove worthy of greatness. And if not, to strive and to fail... to be cast
down into an eternal torment worthy of your failure. Ah. I almost envy your mortality. Envision success.
Envision only success. A morose attitude is most unbecoming in a servant of death. Now then, allow me to
share with you something of the powers which will be yours to command, assuming you earn a place in my
hierarchy, and assuming Acheron or one of my other servants does not strike you down out of jealousy... or
cruelty.

NECROMANCY
Under my guidance, you will have the opportunity to learn the black art of necromancy. Be warned, wielding
necromantic magic is no simple task, for my way is not one of blind, clumsy force. You must balance open
destruction with more subtle devices. Above all, my servant, you must understand that everything has a cost.
Learning to balance these costs, learning to use your pain as a weapon, lies at the heart of necromancy.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Persephone, Stratos, Pyro, Charnel, and... Jim.

Vote Jim for Neighborhood YHWH!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh, cool. A Sacrifice LP. Gonna follow this.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh hey, it's been a while since I've seen Sacrifice. I should perhaps look at getting it to run in Windows 10 sometime, it's a solid game in multiplayer, too. And certainly one of the more curiously controlled RTS games there ever was.

Start off with Stratos. His starter spells carry a lot of utility, and the Sylphs have some gamebreaking invisibility if you ever find yourself in a bind.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Sure, it's neat that Shiny Entertainment actually made Earthworm Jim a god in the game as nod to their past. However, James is boring. Stratos, in contrast, is a sentient helium balloon in a dress voiced by goddamn Tim Curry. Vote Stratos.

Incidentally, of the two games Shiny released released in 2000, this one is somehow the less weird option.

e: Well, not a lot of point in bolding when the actual vote is a poll in the video I guess. Stratos is still best god.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 24, 2017

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Stratos. Purely for the baloon factor.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Tim Curry is the only reasonable choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
James.

The last LP went Stratos, let's see a different path.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 24, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, this looks fun. Lets go with James, he gets so excited about being boring.

Stratos sounds more in line withn our dudes self described motivations though.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This game is awesome.

It's been more than a decade, but If I recall, starting off with Stratos and then moving towards James later on nets you some great units and spells.

But forget that! I want to see a full evil play through so I vote Charnel. I remember not being too impressed with his abilities but I was a dumb kid back then.

Late game spells with any god are always fun and usually involve calling something huge down from the heavens that lands on a unit and gibs it into fast moving blood chunks.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I absolutely love this game -- I don't think there's been anything like the main campaign for allowing you to cross and double-cross your allies, and the voice-acting and characterisation of everybody -- the five gods especially -- is so well done..

One request though! When you play the game, each god lets you hear the briefing for the mission they'll send you on before you can accept. Next time, can we hear the different options available to us so that we can make a more informed choice about what we're off to do?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Whybird posted:

One request though! When you play the game, each god lets you hear the briefing for the mission they'll send you on before you can accept. Next time, can we hear the different options available to us so that we can make a more informed choice about what we're off to do?

I think I did that. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, of course. If so let me know and I'll see what I can do for future videos.

Also as a reminder to everyone - it's cool if you guys want to discuss god choices, and I think it's interesting to hear why people want one god or the other, but for your vote to count you'll need to vote in the poll embedded in the YouTube video via cards. Slightly more info on that in the main post under "How to Vote." Why a YouTube card poll? Basically it makes it easier for me to keep track of things.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
How weird, when I watched it the first time it cut out around 6:20 or so and I assumed that was the end of the episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Whybird posted:

How weird, when I watched it the first time it cut out around 6:20 or so and I assumed that was the end of the episode.

OK cool. Hopefully that doesn't happen for you in the future, but my plan is to show the new briefings at the end of every video for exactly the reason you described.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Look at these gods..all of them desire to be the sole ruler of the realm. None of them would dare try to coexist with their brethren, they have no need of each other. Save one. The one who needs strife.

Charnel.

Death is not the answer to everything.
Torture also has its merits.:devil:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Buried alive posted:

Look at these gods..all of them desire to be the sole ruler of the realm. None of them would dare try to coexist with their brethren, they have no need of each other. Save one. The one who needs strife.

James.

"Hey, can we forget our little differences and slapfights and focus on the REAL problem here?!"

"NO!!!" - everyone else in unison

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
James. Peace, prosperity, and minding my own damned business? Sign me up.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
James. Ain't nothin' 'bout him I don't like. He don't put on airs like them others(Stratos 'specially).

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
James.

There's another LP that goes with Stratus, so I'd rather not take that path. Pyro's is IMO just boring, but Persephone's and Charnel's paths should be no problem.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Five gods means five suckers to play off against each other. Stratos is promising us knowledge, so I say we do his mission for now, but I also vote weditch that smug fucker the moment we get a better offer.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Oh hey Sacrifice! I lost my disk a long time ago, so I can't wait to see how this goes! :woop:

I'm going to vote for Charnel, because he is hilarious
Alternatively, Persephone, because I want you to suffer.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 26, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Yeah a quick word of advice for people unfamiliar with the game, Persephone is the real evil option here, because Persephone is completely intolerable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yeah a quick word of advice for people unfamiliar with the game, Persephone is the real evil option here, because Persephone is completely intolerable.

James, on the other hand, is a perfectly nice guy up until you realize he's handing you some of the biggest artillery in the game. No god can wreck a map like the god of earth.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah James is pretty great, no denying that. To be fair, all of the gods are viable choices and each has their own brand of broken-rear end bullshit they'll entrust you to wield (maybe some are more powerful than others at certain points but I'll wait to express myself until votes are done), so really, go for what you like.

Also, if anyone is interested in following along, the game is currently on sale on GOG for like 4$.

Zeathian
Mar 16, 2016
James because he is rock solid and a nice guy.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

While I'd be happy seeing any of them, James is the grooviest. Let's send the rest to heck.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hmm. I vaguely remember a chain of paths that got you about 5 hero units. And I think that starts with Persephone, though don't quote me on that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh hey, the game that inspired Brutal Legend.

Let's go with Earthworm Jim.....er...James, he seems pretty chill.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is a good game. I think I went with James all the way in my play through, so let's try Persefone. I think you get a cool unit in that mission.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Y'all realize that rojo is only taking votes from Youtube, right?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

HardDiskD posted:

Y'all realize that rojo is only taking votes from Youtube, right?

It's true. I like reading the discussion, though. I think most people have been voting on YouTube even if they also post here, though, based on my results so far.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
You know how it is with fine details ...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Oh man! Sacrifice is probably one of my all time favorite games. I just happen to suck at RTS's.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I also hope we get to see other versions of events, as the story is pretty cool and somewhat complex, with some Game of Thrones level backstabbing and wars and certain details varying depending on what path you are taking.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

mortons stork posted:

I also hope we get to see other versions of events, as the story is pretty cool and somewhat complex, with some Game of Thrones level backstabbing and wars and certain details varying depending on what path you are taking.

Depending on how things go I may do a separate playthrough where I choose the gods or maybe a stream or something sometime after the community playthrough is done.

Speaking of community playthrough, voting is now closed for mission 1. :siren: Check back on Sunday for the results and the first real episode!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Got this as a gift way back when it was just hitting bargain bins, so something like ten years or even more ago - had great times, tried all Gods but never finished all the way. Religiously (:haw:) stuck to the same one for each play"through" thinking I might mix and match my favourite powers for an ultimate playthrough, but it never happened as I couldn't even finish once. I think for each God I failed around the fifth mission, except for Charnel, whose fifth mission power I still remember as letting me coast through all the following ones until the ninth one put a full stop to my progress.

Needless to say, I wasn't very good at the game at all and am looking forward to seeing it played well! Voted Charnel out of nostalgia, but I'm super happy with whatever happens if I can see how the back half of the game looks like!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Simply Simon posted:

...played well!

Oh. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

The Thread posted:

Stratos=Tim Curry
While on the subject of voice actors, for some reason, this game is chock full of good ones.

Persephone is voiced by Jennifer Hale, who is in alot of video games, but best known as female Shepard from mass effect.

James is Brad Garett, who you may know better as Robert from Everyone Loves Raymond.

Pyro is Kevin Michael Richardson, who was Gantu in Lilo and Stitch.

Mithras is voiced by Tony Jay (Megabyte from reboot, but has done tons of voice work over the years)

The main character, Eldred, is voiced by Paul Eiding (who's done alot of voice work over the years)

Grey DeLise who was Mandy from the grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Daphine from Scooby doo in the newer movies also lends a voice. So does Tara Strong (Timmy Turner from fairly odd parents), Pat frailey (who was best known as Krang from the original TMNT show), Frank Welker (who was the original Megatron from Transformers the show)...

**tldr** The imdb page for this thing is insane. I don't know how shiny got all of these people...

• Locked thread