Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Hey guys. We all love to get into arguments online. I've been gettin' into it with folks on the Internet for nigh on twenty years. Of course, I started off getting owned all the time, but along the way, I picked up a few tricks of the trade. Namely, here are some vocabulary words you can use to make your posts more impressive, even if you're dumb and what you're saying is retarded.

Let's get started.

nigh on - This just means "almost," but "almost" doesn't impress anybody. A good word, but use sparingly.

aforementioned - It doesn't matter how stupid you are, you can grasp this concept: If you mentioned something, and you're about to mention it again, then you can call it "the aforementioned." Use this word, and the person you're owning will think he's in the hot seat being destroyed by some kind of lawyer and really start to sweat.

twofold - Impressive and flexible and, best of all, simple. If you're about to say something that has two parts, then throw this word out there. You can also jack up the number for more power. For example, "Your argument is fallacious, and the reasons are elevenfold." Then you have to say eleven things, though, or it doesn't work. So be careful.

If you have words that'll help some of the newbies, feel free to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
try to add the prefix "en" and suffix "ment" to any noun or verb in a sentence
i supplied an enknifement to the hobos lower torso. my enfootment was far too endowed to fit the shoe. enpostments on the forums proved disappointing

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

That's good.
Wait, I mean, nigh twofold engoodment on, aforementionedly. esc. :cool:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Use "whom'st" instead of "who" or "whom" to sound extra authoritative and informed.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"Parse"

It should be noted that everybody that hears it will prolly want to punch you.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Use "whom'st" instead of "who" or "whom" to sound extra authoritative and informed.
As an addendum to this (which is another good phrase and it just means you're adding something), never ever use "while." You want whilst. "While I was playing Mass Effect 2..." sounds like you're just a regular loser playing video games. On the other hand, "Whilst I was playing Mass Effect 2" is more formal and sophisticated. The reader gets the impression you think critically when you game, and that you might even game in a castle.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 24, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you own devices that use electricity flaunt it dont hide it. posting from my electrocomputer

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

plan everything in your life to take place two weeks from now so you can tell everyone you meet about what you're doing in a fortnight

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
some items just vomit class and sophistication. mention ownership of your gravyboat or your wifes japanese foot bindings and watch the enshrinkment of whoever youre arguing with

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Surfeit to mean too much of something.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

"Parse"

It should be noted that everybody that hears it will prolly want to punch you.
Yeah, this is a good one.

The typical idiot, when he's gotten himself in too deep, may start panicking and say something like "What are you talking about?" Yikes. Five words, and everyone in the thread knows you're stupid. The seasoned debater knows what line to use here. It's: "I'm having trouble parsing your post." See? It means the same thing, but now everyone pictures you with a giant pulsing brain and a hand on your chin. The fault isn't with you for not understanding, now; it's with your opponent for not making clear what he's saying. A great move.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
if you want to sound like a smarty man it is de rigueur to italicise fancy foreigner words

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Angela Lansburial posted:

if you want to sound like a smarty man it is de rigueur to italicise fancy foreigner words
mods?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
to wit is useful if you need to say ie or namely but also want to sound like a nocturnal bird of prey, to wit, an owl

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Regularly pepper in "nonplussed" using its proper definition to win friends and influence people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I should have gone for "if you also want to seduce a nocturnal bird of prey, to wit, to woo an owl" but alas I did not

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
write lol at the end of every sentence so they know youre laughing (at them) and totally not actually having a meltdown

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If you're replying to a long post, break it up into the most parts possible. Lots of people can attack a long post paragraph by paragraph. Challenge yourself: attack sentence by sentence. Some highly skilled posters can dismantle a post phrase by phrase, and it's been spoken that there are a few who can do it word by word.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
asphinctersayswhat ?

spog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 24, 2017

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Angela Lansburial posted:

Yes. Never translate anything. If you refer to a foreign film, Google what the title is in the original language, and copy and paste it into your post. Be sure to include the year it was made too, as if anybody cares.

Idiot: "I watched Breathless."
Genius: "I watched À bout de souffle (1960)."

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Yes. Never translate anything. If you refer to a foreign film, Google what the title is in the original language, and copy and paste it into your post. Be sure to include the year it was made too, as if anybody cares.

Idiot: "I watched Breathless."
Genius: "I watched À bout de souffle (1960)."
idiot: i watched a bout de souffle (1960)
genius: i watch godard

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Tell someone they're acting niggardly and then get all "um, actually" when they tell you it's racist. Rub their faces in your supreme intelligence and grasp of historical English.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If your opponent simplifies your argument, stay cool. Don't start screaming, "It's not that simple, idiot!" That's what idiots say. First, call his characterization of your argument reductionist. I don't know precisely what that word means, or where it comes from, but it's an "ist" word, so it sounds concrete. It probably comes from Plato. You should also throw the word nuanced out there. So for example:

Idiot: It's not that simple, idiot!
Genius: This is reductionist. It's actually more nuanced than that, my friend.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
pwn

h4x0r

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Bad Llama posted:

pwn

h4x0r
No.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

haha owned you :smug:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Bad Llama posted:

haha owned you :smug:
Actually, it's more nuanced than that.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Whenever I'm with my Eng-lit academic friends I often use words such as very and the.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I use the word balls in every sentence.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Instead of but use although, take a long pause and wag your finger slightly as you say it

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Bolding certain parts of your posts really helps get your point home.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It might be a bit cringey if you just post it, but put a :goonsay: in front of it? You're golden.

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

gently caress off, man -------> vacate your person from the premises.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Utilize - Use
Facilitate - Help
Paradigm - Idea

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Actually, it's more nuanced than that.

It's about the nuances in video game journalism.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Utilize - Use
Facilitate - Help
Paradigm - Idea
All great.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Not a word per se, but latin never had a soft C so carpe diem, et cetera

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Nice meltdown - whenever someone posts a long response to something you use this & automatically own them so hard their monitor explodes on the opposite end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Tell someone they're acting niggardly and then get all "um, actually" when they tell you it's racist. Rub their faces in your supreme intelligence and grasp of historical English.

To go along with this, say you're having a human being for dinner then say it's a British human being*...

*a meatball.

• Locked thread