Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i thought it would be cool to have a privacy thread, to talk about privacy and other cool retro stuff like ashtrays in wendys that we had pre-9/11

roll that beautiful bean footage:

quote:

Facebook slowly has migrated onto other platforms since its launch. But a recent patent filing shows it potentially could be keeping an eye on something more significant: your webcam.

CBInsights reported the patent in question would be for a system that would use a smartphone or laptop’s front-facing camera to take brief photos of you while you’re using Facebook. According to the patent, Facebook could then use these temporary photos to determine your emotions when seeing various types of posts on the News Feed. With this information, the social media network could then provide content tailored to keep you on the service for longer

"We often seek patents for technology we never implement, and patents should not be taken as an indication of future plans,” Facebook told the Independent.

But at the same time, the public relations downside for Facebook on the patent would be clear. While Facebook has often been given substantial leeway from users thanks to its sheer scale and ubiquity, the idea the network was secretly taking photos of users without their consent would be a potential headache for the company.[/quote]

http://www.ibtimes.com/facebook-files-patent-takes-secret-photos-detect-your-emotions-2549802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

insert link to story about facebook doing psychological a/b testing on children here

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mishaq posted:

insert link to story about facebook doing psychological a/b testing on children here

i don't have a facebook :smug:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/h03oaRIJ8W0

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

he may

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stop using facebook jfc

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
thanks to the date rape model of american privacy law, your roomba is currently beaming a map of your house to jeff bezos

https://gizmodo.com/roombas-next-big-step-is-selling-maps-of-your-home-to-t-1797187829

remember: in silicon valley, not saying no means you're saying yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually my roomba doesnt make any maps and is dumb as poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

owned

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I don't have a Roomba :smug:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
there is no such thing as privacy

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if you live in an apartment complex, your internet is being spied on by at least one neighbor who has access to the node/junction box

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maskenfreiheit posted:

sure you do, you just haven't logged into it

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

OMFG FURRY posted:

if you live in an apartment complex, your internet is being spied on by at least one neighbor who has access to the node/junction box

i mean, most scrubs use dictionary words for WPA2 PWs. (or better yet, WEP)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
when zuck is president it will be mandatory to post 4 things to the wall every day

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

poty posted:

when zuck is president it will be mandatory to post 4 things to the wall every day

i was hoping for something like 4 ceos against the wall each day

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
I can’t wait for pres zuck, it’s gna own bones

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
tom from myspace / ask jeeves 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pram posted:

actually my roomba doesnt make any maps and is dumb as poo poo

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I have literally never seen any idiots who put tape over their webcam for :airquote:privacy:airquote: give a single thought to their laptop's mic (whoops no status LED on those!)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

I have literally never seen any idiots who put tape over their webcam for :airquote:privacy:airquote: give a single thought to their laptop's mic (whoops no status LED on those!)

no one cares what i have to say i'm just a piece of meat to michael rogers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

i'm just a piece of meat

message me w/ ur pgp key :wink:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

eschaton posted:

sure you do, you just haven't logged into it

that's google plustm

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol tape

just disable both in bios/device manager

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just rip it all from the mother boar d

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
don't touch computers, problem solved

Cryptix
Dec 9, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

I don't have a face... :silent:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
where's that quote from mcnealy

fake edit: found it

quote:

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE officer of Sun Microsystems said Monday that consumer privacy issues are a "red herring."

"You have zero privacy anyway," Scott McNealy told a group of reporters and analysts Monday night at an event to launch his company's new Jini technology.

"Get over it."

that was 1998.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jimmy Carter posted:

i know a few of those and im gonna mention it to see if they have a moment of realization :allears:

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
im aware of the microphone issue so i just routinely rip rear end into the mic heh

i suspect we live ina world were you could have justifiable intel reasons to track individuals by fart profiling

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jimmy Carter posted:

i filled mine with glue it's not perfect but :nallears:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

bicycle posted:

im aware of the microphone issue so i just routinely rip rear end into the mic heh

i suspect we live ina world were you could have justifiable intel reasons to track individuals by fart profiling

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.460.4449&rep=rep1&type=pdf

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

that was 1998.

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

nobody gives a poo poo about an audio recording of a random person

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if you don't send me $5000 i'm going to release this poorly recorded audio of possibly a person watching netflix

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

that was 1998.

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

from the military history thread in A/T (which is practically a peer-reviewed conference at this point): People during the 30-years war live 5-7 people to a room and the idea of privacy didn't exist. on the other hand people hosed with their children in the room probably watching so it was a different time

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
US government used to keep tabs on SA posters, but they probably have bigger fish to fry on reddit, and don't care anymore

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

nobody gives a poo poo about an audio recording of a random person

ios, android and windows 10 does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

stop using facebook jfc