Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
As I let the last one slip into archives, here we go again!

Game Thread
Old OOC thread

The heavens lie still and empty. Once great temples, monuments and palaces stood amongst a variety of landscapes filled with the illusion of life and the souls of the dead. Now they lie dead and empty...

All save for one figure.

The Dream:

"I have freed you, I have freed all mortals from the tyranny of the gods. For seventeen days and seventeen nights have we fought. Now only I remain. The people of the world have forgotten my name, and this is for the best. You may call me Terminus if you must name me. In the ruins of the heavens I shall stand forevermore, to cast down any who would seek to rule the fates of mortals again."

"Rejoice, for your destiny is your own now. I have searched through the strands of fate and I have seen that you have potential to affect the world. Without the selfish and terrible gods of old, the people will need mortal icons to guide and inspire them."

"Speak to me what you most desire. "

"Power, wealth, influence, forgotten knowledge...I know the forgotten places where these secrets lie."

Game Premise:

Each player is a mortal, perhaps from humble beginnings or already mighty or influential. After a terrible calamity waged in the heavens for over two weeks, the world has calmed and in a dream or vision you were approached by the god Terminus. He has offered you the knowledge of where to find something that you desire, or that will give you the chance or power to seek that which you covet most.

Build your legend and reputation, as people in the now godless world search for new guides and inspirations for them. Some might seek the adoration, or obedience, of the peoples of the world. Others might simply seek to venture forth into places once barred from mortals by danger or divine grace.

Whatever you do, remember that Terminus watches. He will not tolerate another to step foot in heaven...

Characters:
The world itself will have plenty of supernatural elements, creatures and beings in it. However mortal races, whatever they may be, do not generally have access to high fantasy powers or magic without the aid of the gods. As they are all dead, once powerful divine relics or warriors are now merely mundane and must rely in their own strength.

Name: (If your character has an alias, please include your character's original or 'true' name)
Picture: (Optional but always handy)
Description: (What does your character look like and what are any important or distinctive qualities to them?)
Background: (If you have important details to your character's place in the world or details, make sure to include them here)
Wish: (This should be simple and succinct, as I will provide each character with a few options on where to proceed. Each will lead to a different expression or interpretation of the wish. You can write it in character if you want)

Traits: (Select 4)
Drawbacks: (Select 2)

Traits and drawbacks should represent traits about your character, physical, mental or some other notable feature. Imagine if you only had 4 words to describe yourself to someone. What are the most important aspects? Maybe your strength, cunning, beauty or captivating voice? Or maybe it is that you are a knight, or an orc, or your indomitable will. Traits should not be about what skills you have but instead be about how your character approaches things based on their most defining traits. Players will be assumed to have skills that make sense for their backgrounds. Anything obviously attempting to game the system, like being a savant that picks up any skill or talent straight away, or magic that is broad flexible and powerful will be passed over. If you want to make magic a trait, it must have specific and discrete applications, preferably with weaknesses and drawbacks.

Similar to traits, drawbacks represent ways or some trait to your character that leads them astray, or causes difficulties and sets them back when they indulge it. Fast tempers, prejudices, pride, weakness, fraility, stigmas, curses or other things make for good drawbacks.

Traits and drawbacks do not need to be one or two words necessarily, but things that are succinct and evocative will be best.

Gameplay:

The game is loosely based on PDQ, traits taking the place of skills. Each trait used adds a +2 bonus to a 2d6 roll, and a maximum of 2 traits can be used on each action. I will compare the result to a DC that I establish, although common actions are around DC 7, and more difficult actions will be DC 10 or DC 13. Later there will be divine traits that will reduce the DC of skills, and players will be able to use up to 2 of these on a single action as well.

Invoking a drawback will open new options or results to actions. Dramatic failures, especially those resulting from invoking a drawback will have a chance of earning players Destiny Points. Spending a Destiny Point will allow you to roll a base of 3d6 instead of 2d6. Additionally it ameliorates even the worst of failures into a success with some complication, as you bend destiny to alter the outcome of an action to suit your goals.

Succeeding actions by a wide margin will result in added benefits beyond the original goal of the action.
You can choose to roll your own actions, or to let me roll for you. Dramatic failures, especially failures

The start of the game is about going forth and seeking divine power, even if your character does not realise what this is. That power will come in the form of innate power, augmented physical abilities, or items of power that are bound to your person.

Player combat may become unavoidable at some point. Permanently killing a character will be difficult, and it will be much easier to force another character to do a favour for you or to owe you something in the future. While disagreements and strife will likely occur once players can communicate and interact with each other easily, it goes without saying that there will be consequences for players that go out of their way to ruin another player's experience.

Divine Mechanics work in a way that they either make new actions possible, or modify existing actions to make them easier. For example, a normal man lifting a stone might need to get a 13+ to move a large and heavy stone. But Hercules could do it in 10+ or even 7+ with his divine superhuman strength. Meanwhile someone who gains a shard of power might find themselves able to cast magic or do other things beyond human limits. While some mortal traits will allow characters to do other things, they will either be very narrow in scope or very limited in power compared to what a divine trait can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
<Reserved Post>

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
John Garde Drakon

[Need new pics at some point.]

Lustrium City Guard
CONFIDENTIAL
Personnel Review: Guardsman John Garde
Guardsman Garde has been with the force for nearing on ten years. Ten years of barely passable work, with just enough busts to keep him on the rolls. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about him is the fact that he’s managed to survive some of the escapades he’s gotten involved in. He seems able to take more physical abuse than more other men. In truth though, Guardsman Garde’s biggest failing is a lack of confidence that causes what would otherwise be minorly bad luck to become disastrous far too often. When he can be truly engaged in a case, Garde shows remarkable tenacity, putting in the hard work chasing down every lead and more often than not putting together patterns of fact other investigators miss. However, getting Garde to sink his teeth into a case is rare, his lack of confidence suppresses his natural tenacity and leaves him easy for other guards and even the criminal element to roll right over. It might be said he has potential, but its clear after a even a decade of seasoning that the promise of that potential will never be fulfilled.

Still, he’s on the streets, hard to kill, and as far as I can tell squeaky clean. Though that might be due to the fact I’m not certain he’s ever been offered a chance to wet his own beak than any particular devotion to duty or the law. He’s simply neither important enough or talented enough to be worth buying, as far as I can tell. Regardless of the reasons, we can never use enough honest men on the street, and most of his disasters tend to fall on himself more often than the station, no matter what nickname he might have earned.

Recommendation: Guardsman Garde should be kept on his current assignment, but should not be included on any sensitive or high profile cases. Consideration for promotion not recommended.

---

Lying on his bed, in his tiny one room apartment, John read over the document. He knew he shouldn’t have it, but the fact that it had been left on his desk had clearly not been an accident. No doubt one of his coworkers had put it there to have a laugh at his expense. However, try as he might he couldn’t really deny any of it, and that just pissed him off even more. He didn’t need a report to tell him his life was going nowhere fast. Lustrium was a big city, one of the biggest in the world, it’s crystal spires visible from miles in every way sparkled in the night and it was crisscrossed with sapphire blue canals bustling with trade. A big city like that will all its trade and wealth and poverty attracted a criminal element. The Lustrium Guard was the world’s largest and most developed police force, the envy of the world. The tales of heroism and skill were what had drawn John to the city.

Now here he was a decade later and he had nothing to show for it. He had quickly become disenchanted, saw that this was like any other job and endless grind as the wellborn, the lucky, and the bold skated by. For someone like him who was none of those things, it was an endless path to nowhere. He was just as broke as when he started, and he’d known his career with the guard was a dead end long before he had illicit official confirmation of that fact. He had no friends, no wealth, no respect, and no prospects. It ground his gears, what had he done to deserve this, it wasn’t his fault that bad luck followed him wherever he went, that the crucial break in the case never showed up, that the gang members managed to mistake him for some other guard’s informant and beat the poo poo out of him. Nothing ever went his way, and he was tired of it, he was tired of his life, he wanted out, no matter what form that might take.

So when the voice of Terminus called down from the heavens he didn’t quite believe it. He almost ignored it, but looking at the report one more time he figured even if it was nothing more than a hallucination he had nothing left to lose, and the anger and resentment built up from decade of broken dreams, of stalled ambitions, of wasted years bubbled to the surface like a volcanic eruption as he screamed at the top of his lungs:

“I want power, enough power so that no one will ever try to beat me up or intimidate me again! Enough that all those who thought I was nothing will come begging to me! Enough to let me take whatever I want from life!”

The moment passes, and John is left panting like he’d just run a marathon, the blood pounding in his ears like a drum beat. He is mortified at the realization of the fact that he had just screamed as loud as possible in his shoebox of an apartment, no doubt everyone in the build heard him, but before the humiliation and realizes just how foolish he must seem, wondering if he’s losing his grip on his sanity when the voice responds.

Traits
City Guard[+2] - John has been a member of the guard in the city of Lustrim for ten long years. He’s not particularly talented at it, but he’s been around long enough to pick some things up. Just enough swordsmanship to defend himself, how to wear and maintain armor with only a bit , a bit about keeping your eyes open and looking for things others might miss, a bit of knowledge of how criminals work. Good enough to keep him from being fired, not enough to make him actually valuable.

Hardy[+2] - You don’t survive being a city guard with abominable luck without being hard to kill. Falling debris, beatings by gangs, the occasional stab wound, you name it, John has been there and back again. Living through all of that has toughened him up enough to take a punch without too much trouble.

Easy to Miss[+2] - John is easy to miss in a crowd, or in the office. A combination of an almost generically average appearance and lots of practice at hiding away when the captain was handing out the tough assignments has given him some skill at not being noticed when he doesn’t want to be, and even sometimes when he does.

Stubborn[+2] - John’s one truly good quality, once he sets his mind to something he sticks to it. It’s the main reason he’s made it this far in life.

Commanding[+2] - Thank's the transformation John oozes confidence, and he certainly looks the part of a warrior not to be trifled with. That combination goes a long way to convincing people to go along with him.

Prehensile Tail[+2] - Thanks to eating a dragon's heart, John has now grown a muscular prehensile tail. He's still getting the hang of it, but having an extra appendage to grip with, or to smash someone with can have it's uses. Especially when other people aren't expecting it.

Dragon Force - After eating the heart of the Dragon Audo, John has become something more than human, gaining draconic features and powers.

Dragon's Strength[+2] - The supernatural strength of a dragon. John can now crush rocks with his bare hands, and lift weights that would crush a normal man. You probably don't want to let him get in a hit on you.

Dragon's Endurance[+2] - The supernatural endurance of a dragon. What good is strength without the endurance and toughness to be able to use it. John can now take hits that would level a lesser being, and exert himself far longer than a normal human.

Drawback

Bad Luck[-2] - John’s bad luck is something of a legend in the guardhouse. If something can be expected to go against him, it usually does, if he’s in need of a particularly lucky break you can bet it won’t appear. In truth, John’s bad luck is not as bad as he and those around him think it is though having no less than two pianos fall on him over the years suggests it can get pretty drat bad at times. Really, John’s lack of confidence and all around middling talent manage to close doors that should be open, and turn what should be minor setbacks into spectacular disasters. It is said you make your own luck, and that is something John is really unsuited to do at the moment.

Sort of a Doormat[-2] - Things haven’t been easy for John, and when the world keeps crushing you beneath its weight, you eventually just stop trying to fight back. Whether it’s from a lack of confidence or just a survival mechanism, John is easy to bowl over socially. He has a hard time sticking up for himself, preferring to just defer and avoid conflict. The long and short of it is that except when he’s off on one of his tears, he’s not hard to intimidate or cajole.

Untested Leader[-2] - John may feel like a leader, but he's never been in charge of anyone before, ever. As such, though he can talk a good game, he's not as capable of walking the walk of leadership.

Dragonborn[-2] - John's not just gaining the power of a dragon, but some of its appearance as well, leathery green skin, claws, sharp teeth, the works. This tends to make him hard to miss, and make if you look at him for more than a few seconds, it's clear he's not human. This can be a problem at times, especially if you're trying to escape notice, or appear normal.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Rashid ibn Saqr ibn al-Ajar ibn Karif ibn Ahmad ibn Farid
or Rashid al-Ilan, if you like.

Ah, Ilan. The Land of Sun and Sand. And Snakes. Over two hundred varieties, in fact.

Ilan is a land far across the sea, a months journey or more by dhow. The vast majority of Ilan is considered to be inhospitable desert, though it is said nomadic tribes travel secret routes across the dunes of the interior. Almost everyone else lives in one of the Thirteen Grand Oases, controlled by the Thirteen Tribes. A single river cuts through the desert, flowing down from the distant peaks of the Deep Desert and into the Great Sea. The floodplains and its fertile soil are the domain of the Temple of Ilan, the Snake God for which the country is named. The Temple of Ilan itself sits in the river Delta, a monumental structure made from sandstone that houses the titanic serpent, Ilan. Huge. Ancient. Powerful. She has existed since earliest recorded history, and it is said that she shaped the nation, perhaps literally.

The Thirteen Tribes each control their respective Grand Oasis, and manage the day-to-day affairs of running a city. Each Tribe selects a representative to sit on the Council of Thirteen, who, along with the Temple, administrate the day-to-day of the nation of Ilan. The leader of the council, and de-facto head-of-state, bears the title Khalif al-Ilan. The leader of each Tribe pays a tithe to the Temple on behalf of his or her Oasis in exchange for the Blessings of Ilan, both literal and figurative; the Temple provides the majority of the meat in an Ilani's diet, as well as other surplus produce in times of famine or hardship. Ilan may also grant more literal boons or blessings; displays of power that leave no doubt in her status as a deity. Each Oasis is allowed to recruit and train a moderate armed force for the purpose of policing and city defense. Standing armies, however, are strictly forbidden. Only the Temple may raise an army, called the Serpent Guard. It is comprised of men and women who have given up their tribal affiliations and instead are sworn to Ilan (the country and the snake). Disrespect or outright rebellion are harshly punished; either by the Serpent Guard, or by Ilan herself.

It was a system that had endured, through no small amount of force, for generations. Until Terminus and the War in Heaven. No mortal knew this, of course. But Ilan knew. She became agitated. Angry. Her apprehension reverberated throughout the nation. The Council of Thirteen voted 12-1 in favor of sacrificing the Khalif al-Ilan to Ilan in order to appease her. In response to this, the Temple, on Ilan's behalf, invoked the Succession Procession; each of the Thirteen Tribes would send out thirteen emissaries beyond the borders of Ilan to bring back treasures that might please Ilan and secure their Tribe's future with a seat on the Council. Failure meant the sacrifice of your entire tribe to Ilan. A great honor, to be sure, but not one most felt they were yet... worthy of. This time, however, Ilan sought answers, and more importantly, proof. Treasure probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Rashid, our dashing hero, hails from the Grand Oasis of Ajar, ruled by the Ajar Tribe. A minor but privileged member of the Tribe, Rashid spends his days wining, dining, and composing (bad) poems when he isn't crossing swords with that drat brigand Fadlan from fencing school (He'll best him one day, mark his words!). This was life for the Muharib; romantic warriors who studied art as much as they practiced with a sword, blending culture and war into a single profession. Warrior-Poets, in the barbarian tongue. Rashid could fight as well as any Muharib, but had a particular preference for the cultural pursuits; particularly poetry, painting, and calligraphy. And wine; Rashid particularly enjoyed the art of wine making, and wine drinking. The sudden, unexpected announcement from Terminus, however, turned everything on its head. Suddenly there is a Succession Procession to worry about and, merciful Ilan, Rashid is one of the thirteen emissaries selected. Surely, Rashid insisted, there's been some sort of mistake. He was quite busy with his latest poem, 'Memories of Summer'. It would be a crime to interrupt so fine a work! No, they insisted much more firmly than he, there was no mistake. Now, pack your things; Blessed Ilan herself will be addressing each of the thirteen.

What Ilan said to the thirteen emissaries of Ajar, or if she spoke at all, Rashid would not say. In fact, he would not speak for some handful of days; an audience with Ilan could do that to the unprepared. By the time the shock wore off, he couldn't speak even if he had wanted too, too busy wretching over the side of the dhow as wind and sea spray battered him. It would be a long... long voyage.

Qualities

[+2] Warrior-Poet: Like most 'cultured' Ilani, Rashid is familiar not only with swordplay, but also with the more 'delicate' arts and histories. After all, is not swordplay also an art every bit as delicate as painting or poetry?

[+2] Charming: Quick to smile and quicker to laugh, Rashid considers himself particularly silver-tongued among his people. Some of them might even agree!

[+2] Quick: Fleet of foot, but also of ...wit? Thought? No, no, it'll come to me.

[+2] Determined: Rashid is a hard man to shake. One way or another, he'll get what he wants. He's no quitter, either. Quitters never win!

Flaws

[-2] Drunk: Rashid likes his wine and spirits a bit too much. He can't turn down a drink, and while he boasts an impressive constitution, it's not hard to have too much wine.

[-2] Anger: Rashid, though slow to anger, will quickly lose his silver tongue and his practiced hand when tempers flare. It can be so frustrating, dealing with barbarians.

The Wish
"I wish for the power to save my people."

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 27, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Moonrat

Ratling names are an incomprehensible series of chirps and chitters. In Moonrat's case, the best translation into a common tongue would be "Pale-Shadow-in-Moonlight". Out of politeness, most ratlings adopt a less cumbersome sobriquet for dealing with other species.

Background:

"Big Folk think everything belongs to them. They took our forests for lumber, so we moved to the mountains. They took our mountains for ore, so we moved into the caves. They took our caves for their battles against the Things-That-Lurk, and so we moved to their cities. Now they take our lives and our pride because we have nothing else."

The King-That-Was has been dead for generations, but his descendants still live, and they still rule a kind of kingdom. Instead of grand courts, there are shadowy dens of thieves and cut throats. Instead of fiefdoms there are neighborhoods with gangs and bosses. Instead of knights there are assassins, and instead of chivalry there is The Code. She-That-Hungers leads them now, and at her side is Moonrat. Moonrat came from a family of little note, and like many of his fellows, took the work that was available: Stealing everything they could back from everyone else. He is extremely good at it, and though many question his loyalty, none question his ability. Moonrat himself holds no true allegiance to anyone, and even his vows to the queen will last only so long as they are useful to him. This is not to say he is a backstabbing traitor. Only that he has the wisdom to understand that if his superiors embark upon acts of folly, he is under no obligation to follow them to ruin. His only real oath is a private one: to see his species regain what they have lost. To that end, he will do whatever is necessary.

Of the Big Folk, ratlings despise the elves the most. It was they who intruded upon their forest homes, not wishing to mar their own woodland realms with industry. With the blessing of their blasphemous gods, the fair folk came like a storm. An intensely private people, the ratlings had no allies to call upon and could do nothing against the weapons and magic of the invaders. The insult was doubled when the Men came to the mountains. Though furious at the humans for their greed, it was the elves again who earned the majority of the ratling's ire; they were the ones who had whispered in the ear of a King of Men and led them to conquest. The elves seemed to find the very existence of the ratfolk an affront and hounded them whenever possible. And so life went, for a long time.

But now the gods are dead. Some crafty souls have already considered that without the divine protection of the Elven Choir, a time for vengeance may well be at hand.

Moonrat is a sly, calculating man, though he lacks much in the way of higher education. But when it comes to the wisdom of the street and gutter, few possess greater insight. His dress is typical for his sort; a cloak, chest wraps, and trousers. He permits himself a few understated bits of jewelry, but prefers to keep his real treasures hidden away. He is pleasant enough to speak with, willing to show proper respect and deference to others. However, this facade quickly slips in the face of insults or incompetence. Weakness is something he cannot tolerate, and many unexplained mishaps have befallen the weak links in the organizations and societies he involves himself in. Others he has simply challenged to an outright duel, and he wears their skulls on his belt to this day. He keeps his knives, tools, and whatever trinkets have found their way into his possession secreted about his person in concealed sheaths and hidden pockets.

Most of the money he earns from his undertakings is sent back to his home, to ensure his family is properly taken care of. It's tough even in the best of times to feed that many little sisters.

Traits:

Thief [+2]: Skullduggery, artful dodgery, and general sneakery. All the tricks of the criminal trade, Moonrat knows.

Handsome [+2]: Moonrat is well-kept and well-groomed. Among his people, his long sleek tail, white fur, gracefully curved ears, and elegantly manicured nails make him an avowed lady-killer. Among other peoples, he is considered a remarkably good specimen of his kind, akin to a well-pedigreed horse. In any case people are inclined to treat with him fairly, presuming him to be the sole exception to the stereotypical unkempt ratling hooligan.

Ruthless [+2]: Despite his civil demeanor, Moonrat is not a nice person. Though not carelessly cruel, he is not averse to using threats to get his way and he has no qualms about following through.

Nimble [+2]:
Moonrat is proficient in jumping, tumbling, acrobatics, sprinting, and similar feats of dexterity.

Master of War (Disciple of War and Teacher of War): You are still limited by your own physical limitations, but your new traits will allow you to make near perfect use of it with whatever weapons you may hold, unarmed and to make strategies to take advantage of yourself and another. Additionally you can teach other people a portion of this, with tremendous skill in one or more areas depending on the time you invest.

Flaws:

Arrogant [-2]: Moonrat thinks very highly of himself and his skills, and bristles at any perceived slight against them.

Kleptomaniac [-2]:
If something catches Moonrat's eye, he is loathe to leave it be, regardless of the consequences.

A Wish:

"A home for my people, free from our enemies."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Name: Elias Ponsonby-Welm of the Aubrecht Ponsonby-Welms, the fifth of his name, Autarch of Aubrecht and the surrounding demesne

Picture:

Description: A dapper gentleman dressed in the finest of brocaded silks and trimmed linens, the chain of the Autarchy rests snugly on his slightly misshapen shoulders and a bejewelled longsword hands slightly awkwardly upon his hip. He could be called 'Dashing', handsome' or 'distinguished' by a truly consummate liar, but in truth his features have suffered due to the Ponsonby-Welm predilection for 'keeping the bloodline pure'. As a consequence, Elias sadly has far fewer antecedents than would be considered usual, and a very distinctive look combining the most prominent traits of his ancestors with, and there is no way to put this delicately, themselves.

Background: Born as the sole surviving offspring of Autarch Elias IV Ponsonby-Welm of the Aubrecht Ponsonby-Welms and Eliasina Ponsonby-Welm of the Aubrecht Ponsonby-Welms née Ponsonby-Welm of the Chattridge Ponsonby-Welms, Elias V was raised in luxury, his every whim and foible catered to by the extensive staff and servants of the Autarchal palace. You might think this could cause a child to be spoilt and arbitrary, but since that would constitute an offence of Lèse-majesté which would be vigorously prosecuted, obviously it wasn't the case. Trained in a classical, broad education and in how to handle a sword, there is not one man or woman in the Autarchy of Aubrecht that would openly criticise his rule.

It is said to his face and in his presence that he is a wise and considerate lord, who guides the ship of state with a gentle but firm hand. He is wedded to his first cousin, Eliasette P-WotAP-W, who is presently in the family way. Never particularly devout, it was something of a surprise when the God, Terminus, appeared to him in a vision (Of course he did, Sire, you are as ever correct.) with words of guidance and revelation. So it was that the Autarch prepared to venture out and do what was necessary to secure the future...

Wish: To be the patriarch of a dynasty that will rule the world for ten thousand years.

Traits

Leader +2: Born into wealth and privilege, inheritor of a prosperous if rather bijou nation-state, Elias V can call upon the advantages of his position pretty much at a whim, provided he is either in or near Aubrecht or has a loyal retinue of Aubrechtian retainers handy to carry out his will.

Educated +2: Fortuitously, Elias' tutors were gifted with perseverance, and managed to hammer into their charge a very solid grounding in literacy, languages, mathematics, statecraft, history and culture. Even his master-at-arms had a decent crack at making him capable of defending himself.

Stylish +2: Despite his rather unfortunate looks, Elias is something of a trend-setter, and has mastered the art of dressing to make an impact for almost any social situation. In some cases, this can even compensate for his appearance, personality and demeanour.

Shrewd +2: Beneath that rather ugly and misshapen exterior lies an equally ugly and misshapen interior, but one which does actually have a rather swift and able mind. He endeavours to play up his appearance to seem dimmer or slower-witted, but there's a razor lurking behind that carefully cultivated false layer of rust.

Drawbacks:

Frail -2: A consequence of having an unbranching family twig rather than a family tree. Thus, Elias' health is not the best, he is physically defective in a number of ways, and there are concerns about his ability to produce healthy heirs or live long enough to do so.

Abrasive -2: As an arbitrary, spoilt man prone to indiscipline, he does tend to rub people entirely the wrong way, and has a tendency to be thoroughly unpleasant and thoughtless. He has no concept of how the poors live, nor does he care to acquire one.

Divine Powers:

Third Eye
Draw Thoughts allows you to read surface level thoughts. This is not telepathy or deep mind-reading, you cannot probe for any thoughts not on surface level. While this will sometimes give you narrative boosts, I expect this will commonly help with reading people's dispositions and attitudes more.
Read Heart allows you to see the deepest desire(s) of that person, their deepest and sometimes darkest dreams. You can tune it towards positive or negative goals, desires and ambitions if you want to be more specific. Otherwise it will look for the strongest thing that person wants.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir aka Drago

Description/Background

Lho-Rhydia. A small but lively port town that had never been a center of trade, though it saw enough traffic that the wheels of commerce comfortably turned. And in the docks of this port town was Warehouse Nine, which was in no way different than its eight predecessors and its numerous successors save for one thing: one of the backrooms was lived in by a man by the name of Dragomir. A lizardman, to be precise, and one that had earned quite the reputation around the town for being… eccentric. Often found speaking to himself or prowling about in backalleys, the local law enforcement originally kept a close eye on Dragomir, unsure if he was mad, a criminal in the making, or possibly both. The truth, as they later discovered, was that the lizardman was merely a scholar of sorts, who spent his time learning as much as he can.

Dragomir, for his part, never noticed the looks he received while he went about his business. Why would he? It wasn’t as if he was doing anything wrong, after all, so why should he be concerned? Of course, there were a number of reasons why, but none of them would have occurred to Dragomir’s straightforward mind. Simple of heart and earnest of spirit, the lizardman lives out his days blissfully ignorant of that which does not concern him.

Traits
Inquisitive [+2] - Curious by nature, Drago is full of questions about the world around him, and lives to answer them. He’s also spent more time than most people would care to admit breaking things down and trying to put them back together, though he tends to be far more successful at the former than the latter.
Resourceful [+2] - Of course, you need objects in the first place to break or repair them. As he’s a rather poor individual, Drago has gotten used to all sorts of unusual means to get the parts he needs, even scavenging through other people’s trash in search for potential ‘treasure’.
Easy-Going [+2] - Drago rarely worries about what awaits him in the future. So long as he has your standard necessities and something to work on, he’s perfectly content to live in the present and take the days as they come.
Resolute [+2] - To the surprise of all those who know him, Drago shows remarkable determination under hardship. Admittedly, his definition of ‘hardship’ is rather different than most people’s, and usually means either a tiring job or continuously failing to figure out how something works. Still, there’s a certain and unexpected inner strength within the lizardman that can’t be denied.

Drawbacks
Naivete [-2] - Lost in his thoughts as he is, Drago is remarkably ignorant as to how the ‘real world’ works, as some might put it. Even simple concepts like lying baffle the lizardman, as from his perspective he couldn’t imagine why you would ever need to do such a thing.
Clumsy [-2] - Unlike many of his brethren, Drago is in no way light on his feet. In fact, he often finds himself losing his balance if he’s not careful, usually due to getting distracted by some stray idea. His tail, which some lizardfolk are skilled enough with to use like a third hand, has on more than one occasion acted as a hindrance while working.

Wish
"Desire, dream man? Drago desires to know how all things in this world work. For example, why is it that the yawning of one man causes the yawning of another? It is most puzzling to Drago, and would be very much welcome if you could answer, dream man.”

Divine Powers
Oracle Equations
Large Scale Predictions - This allows you to run an equation for large groups of people, areas, or over long periods to gather abstract but accurate patterns to predict things.
Single Readings - This allows you to get less precise predictions for specific events, people or places.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Sasha Snowdrake
"I like need a title or somethin'? *Snort* Ay okay, how 'bout 'That pretty ogre lady?'"

Background and description:
Subtle as a hammer to the face and just as pretty, ogres are (allegedly!) half-demonic beings that fare from the volcanic mountain ranges of the western archipelago, known mainly for their legendarily monstrous strength, gluttonous tendencies and their propensity for marauding locals to feed said tendencies. In this Sasha is no different. She too enjoys fights, both the part where you get to whack people and also the part where you take their stuff afterwards. On the other hand, she also recognizes that getting hired to do that is doubly good because you basically get paid twice, with both the payment and the loot. And as it turns out, the chaos caused by the God War has left the World with many opportunities for an ogre warlord turned mercenary, both in prospective employers and the number of parties to crash. For whilst ogres have historically been viewed with animosity due to their aggressive nature, old disagreements quickly fade when extra muscle is needed in the tumultuous power struggles of the day...

Of course, Sasha does not personally really care for the machinations of nobles, and in fact views their trickery with great disdain. Notably carefree and even strangely affable of attitude (well, as long as it isn't your property that is being smashed), she is content to traverse the lands, lending her considerable aptitude to whoever offers the best pay/raiding opportunities/booze. And really, why wouldn't she? She and her troupe (and their beautiful Ogrish Wavecutter, Ol' Snaggletooth) just want to have a good time, in the way that only ogres know how. The rest of of the World can do whatever it wants to, really, as long as she has a face to punch and a keg to down at the end of the day.

Traits:
Strong [+2]: Among all the creatures that walk upon the earth on two legs or four or more, the strength of ogres is legendary. And amongst ogres, few quite so embody this singular claim to fame as well as Sasha does. Sure, perhaps she lacks technique. Perhaps she lacks finesse. But at some point, you're just so tough that style stops mattering.
Warlord [+2]: A warlord and mercenary captain, Sasha has a lot of experience both in leading troops and keeping them in the proper shape and proper mood for fighting. And indeed, many an enemy that has confused her rough and carefree manner for simplicity has later cursed their folly after finding themselves outmaneuvered on the field of battle. However, she is very much a mercenary captain and hands-on leader, and less of a grand strategist.
Resilient [+2]: Ogres are not just very resistant to elements, but also seem to exhibit a natural aura of antimagic, which when honed to a fine edge like Sasha has, can be a potent force indeed. This is helpful since they consider most forms of magic, (especially the non-elemental and non-direct battlemagic varieties) to be cowardly to the extreme, and mages thus are some of their favourite punching bags/wedgie targets. Also probably the one thing that has kept their raiding fleets from being sunk by fireballs. Less of use with most of the gods gone, but a solid trump card nonetheless.
Affable [+2]: Sasha, regardless of her violent ways, has a carefree and friendly sort of attitude that manages to endear her to many. Especially the sort of folk who would be already willing to accept mercenary work or trawl the depths of god forsaken dungeons for the faint promise of loot and booze.

Drawbacks:
Ogre's honour [-2]: Sasha, and indeed ogres in general, are often thought of as cruel and capricious creatures, what with their terrorizing of the less fortunate. However, whilst they take loot and occasionally servants, and are notably rough of manners, they are surprisingly proud creatures and do adhere to a certain sense of honour almost religiously. They will not tell lies (and calling one a liar is a quick way to get your teeth kicked in), and are surprisingly 'fair', refusing to slaughter the helpless. Many folktales tell of clever farmboys challenging ogres to competitions and tricking the creatures, and whilst the stories of their stupidity are not based on reality, it is a fact that ogres are often willing to compete instead of fight (within reason and within areas they believe themselves to excel at, like feats of strength or drinking) when challenged in good faith, and will often even gimp themselves to prove their superiority. This is something that can be taken advantage of if you're clever, but you better be REALLY clever because if they sense trickery or attempts to abuse their goodwill, they will promptly stomp your rear end with extreme prejudice.
Terror of the seas [-2]: Even though Ogres have for the most part discarded raiding for mercenary work, they are a disunified lot and some of them have not adapted to the newer ways of thinking. Marauding parties and piracy are thus a fairly common occurrence still. Suffice it to say, an approaching ogre is usually viewed with some suspicion by locals.

Wish:
"Oi, can't really say I've been approached by a God before, hah! Usually tend to not bother with ye lot since it tends ta lead to a life of a whole lot o' book scribblin', sobriety and celibacy and no offense but that ain't really my thing. Pretty much the opposite now that I think o' it actually. But hey, I've never said no to a lucrative job, and a singularly reignin' deity like yerself ought to have some treasures worth bashin' some creature or two over."

OOC: Sasha wishes for sweet loot (items of power and wealth mostly, but she's not very picky) and good times.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Sorry for the delay. I've been tired both physically and mentally from moving, work and dealing with my brother's cancer. I have finally added in Rashid's prompts which were my major hurdle, so I aim to update by Sunday evening at the latest.

Thankyou for your understanding.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'll post some time, my brother has his blood tests and pet scan yesterday and today, then gets his results from his oncologist on Thursday. So I am pretty anxious and focusing on taking care of myself. For better or worse I should post again by Sunday.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Okay so it was another Sunday. Technically Monday I guess.

There's been good news regarding my brother, so I'm going to try and get this moving steadily again.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Karla

Background:

The wild peoples were a scantily studied and visited people in the time before the gods fell. Nature had a god or goddess but they knew it not by name. The shamans and wise-women of the tribe knew when the babe was born that she would be...trouble. The signs and portents pointed to an uncertain fate but that Karla would either save her people or destroy them. As a child as she grew she outstripped the other children and their gifts, for each member of the tribe became gifted at something. However she had inherited far more than any in memory or in the stories told by the firelight. She was willful and strong and didn't always heed the advice of her elders. The village and her parents tried to channel her energy but found that she was quite a handful.

As she grew Karla soon became a hunter and respected warrior, finding a weapon in the ruins of the "old peoples" she was a favorite among the youth for her exploits. She was to marry the chieftain's second son, a storyteller who would learn the histories of their people. Their childhood love and friendship blooming until the day of their joining arrived.

It was then that the foreign soldiers came, driven mad by the death of their God. They burned the meager village and put many to the sword who had gathered in their festive livery. No one bore a weapon for the implied violence would be an insult to the ceremony. The arrows that killed her mother and father also found their way into her beloved. She had to do something, she had to save her people.

Caged within her heart was the darkness. The untrodden path. It was said that the warrior that succumbed to the darkness would become a berserker, unstoppable and deadly. The fate of that embrace for Karla would be much much worse. For to become the dark walker was to invite an uncleanness into one's soul. To become the Beast. The monster. To be beyond the light and it's radiance while under its control.

Karla ripped them apart. Feasted upon their flesh and splintered their bones. When she awoke, she did so in the aftermath of tragedy. While she did save her remaining people, the rest feared and even shunned her. Cast out and weeping, Karla fled.

Unloved. Unwanted.

Unclean.

The beast's heart spoke to her. <"I'm here. Waiting, in the dark I'll find you. Run little doe. Run. I'll always be right behind you...>

And so she ran, looking. Hoping. Wishing for...
A heartfelt Wish: For love and belonging, peace or an answer(?) to her savage curse

Traits:
Heart of the Mountain <Strong [+2]>: Karla is strong. Stronger than man or monster, her love of life and living free she roams the world helping those she can as she finds her place in it.

Breath of the Wind <Fleet [+2]>: She can run and move faster than the herds of wild Graffalo, move quieter than the stealthy Foxcats of the Sandeep canyons, her freedom under the sky and stars unfettered and carefree.

Eye of the Sun <Perceptive [+2]>: Karla knows what lurks within the moonless night on the plans for she can see deep into the darkness, she can feel the intentions of the forest and find the hidden bounties in the ruins of the old before people. Their hidden caches and secrets something to be explored and found.

Soul of the Beast <Animal Empathy[+2]>: Knowing the earth mother's children as Karla does, she can intuit what the animals feel and need. While she prefers not to impress her will upon the wild she will make her intentions known to those beasts that occupy it with her.

Drawbacks:

Emotional lycanthropy <Cursed [-2]>:
Experiencing strong emotions, like passion, fear or even exhilaration can sometimes trigger a transformation into a monstrous form. A combination of bear, wolf, eagle, frog, and serpent; those "blessed" with nature's bounties carry those gifts at a terrible price. [edit: more of a metaphorical transformation, a berserker state]

<Protective -2>: It is hard for one such as Karla to trust after her people cast her out for reasons beyond her control. But should she find a home again and those she could care for, she would defend them fiercely. Home, family, and friends are what life is about and losing that again is unthinkable.

Edit: Description [foreign raiders]: Karla did not know the invaders, their clothing strange and their ways unknown. But her people had had dealings with them before.

Missionaries from a land across the sea the Janites first arrived decades ago to bring enlightenment to the wild peoples. At first their priests and missionaries built schools and gave those in the wild gifts and promised that the Alabaster God would give them eternal reward for their worship. This was met with mixed results in different communities. Very few converted. It wasn't until the Janite priests found that the wild peoples had scavenged treasures and gold from the ruins of the old before peoples that the soldiers from the land of Jana arrived to "support" the church's efforts of converting the heathen natives. Some tribes, like Karla's simply moved deeper into the wild. Limiting contact to the odd trader or woodsman from the Janite community. While the Alabaster god was supposedly a god of healing, kindness and white magic...it's servants were not.

Often treating the converted wild people as little more than serfs or servants at best. At times the Janite lord and his soldiers threatening or robbing the odd tribe for its scavenged treasures and gold trinkets. When the Alabaster god died, the priests went blind and madness infected their minds and crippled their bodies. The wild peoples were blamed for this loss of connection, their heathen ways even among the converted used as a scapegoat. The Janite lord sized this opportunity to put the people under his heel as his men were whipped into a frenzy by the crooked former servants of the Alabaster god. If they could kill and subjugate the heathens, perhaps the Janite link to their diety could be restored and the misappropriated heathen wealth be redistributed properly...

Character changes over game:
Trait: Heavensward Sword "Starboard"
Karla gains the Dragonrider's Sword, a powerful, sentient and intelligent weapon she has formed a contract with. Aside from the strange knowledge it holds, it is also sharper and deadlier than any weapon currently seen in the game and among the best weapons in the world. The trait is called Heavensward Sword. Unlike other players you currently only have a single trait, although consuming the elixir will grant you a second one to go with the sword.

Some kind of armor?

The special bow?

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 28, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Everyone also gets a free Destiny Point, as an apology for taking so long and also because the game has been running a while. It seems like a good time to hand one out as a freebie.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'm still alive...

No time for formatting now. I may come back to it later.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
I know I've been MIA for the past couple of weeks. Due to RL circumstances and my laptop & desktop dying like some kind of failure cascade I'll have to drop. It was fun playing Karla while it lasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Okay I cannot promise to be consistent going forwards, but I have come out of a very rough two month stretch and I'm trying to take better care of myself going forwards. I will try to post more consistently and at least once a week going forwards.

• Locked thread