Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with about 140,000 miles. The transmission leaks and I have to put Lucas transmission fix in it every 2 months or so as long as I keep it topped off I don't get any slipping. I've been doing this for 3 years without any problems. I've gotten quotes to fix it for like $3,500. However that's pretty close to what the car is worth.

I'm looking to buy a used Prius, so I don't want to put more money into a car that I no longer want. what's my best option in terms of selling this car? Is it worth it to try and repair it with a junkyard transmission and a small shop?. Should I just sell it stating it has a bad transmission? Giving it to a junkyard would probably not be best as I would probably only get $400.

My current thought is to list it on Craigslist for a little over $1000 as a project car or a beater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Where are you located? Sounds like a great project... for me. (seriously, if you're "close," I'm interested.)

Post history creeping -- Terra Haute or Indy would be about half-way between us... email pics to meatpimp@gmails and I'll do what others cannot -- fix the leaks.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 29, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you know where it's leaking from? I'd get it to the jetwash and cleaned down underneath to aid diagnosis. Shagged output seal is less :ohdear: than a cracked housing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Where I live (the mtn west) that thing would easily be worth 5 grand or more (with a non slipping tranny) so just list it for like 4000 or best offer while making note of the transmission issue in your ad. Someone will buy it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's a 4Runner. It'll sell. Disclose the leak and list it at a reasonable market value minus $500-1000 for the transmission leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I would spend half a day under the truck with a flashlight and a rag and try to see what's actually leaking. It could end up being a $4 seal or o-ring or something. My Lexus SC400 had a huge leak that caused the car not to move at all and it turned out to be an o-ring on the transmission dipstick tube. What's half a day when it comes to thousands of dollars in potential sales money?

• Locked thread