Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Shocker will never be a murder machine, and that is why he will always be my favorite villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I like comics better when comic book villains aren't murder machines.

I like comic books better when the heroes don't die for no reason.

But on that note, the return of a dead hero can make for some amazing comics. See: Kone-El Superboy in Legion of Three Worlds.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Shocker will never be a murder machine, and that is why he will always be my favorite villain.

Hell same. I was sad when they didn't make him a hero in thunderbolts. That started out really interesting.

Rhyno posted:

But on that note, the return of a dead hero can make for some amazing comics. See: Kone-El Superboy in Legion of Three Worlds.

That mini was the best part of Final Crisis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really was. Also, Blackest Night was lame overall but man if I didn't get the misty eyes when Hawkgirl took off her mask and it was Shayera.

YES I'M THE ONLY HAWK-PERSONS FAN IN BSS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey man, I love Hawk....eye.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

For me the deaths and subsequent mourning used to pack some punch, but when you sometimes have characters immediately speculating about how long it'll be until they come back now, I think it's safe to say they ran that poo poo into the ground. I do hope we get some good comics out of Wolverine coming back whenever that happens though, because he's been off the board (even if he was replaced with a displaced version of himself) for longer than expected at this point. I guess "oh here's another you/you just missed another you" will probably take away from it a fair amount though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

For me the deaths and subsequent mourning used to pack some punch, but when you sometimes have characters immediately speculating about how long it'll be until they come back now, I think it's safe to say they ran that poo poo into the ground. I do hope we get some good comics out of Wolverine coming back whenever that happens though, because he's been off the board (even if he was replaced with a displaced version of himself) for longer than expected at this point. I guess "oh here's another you/you just missed another you" will probably take away from it a fair amount though.

Yeah, it used to be good story telling. Now we're all like Siryn and assume they will be back in a few months.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The latest issue of Batman got me on board with King's murder machine Joker.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Decius posted:

Marvel's thinking the same by now. Probably. I hope.

Neo-Nazis are showing up to rallies, including the one that killed Heather Heyer, wearing Captain America and Hydra gear so I would loving hope so.

gently caress Nick Spencer and Marvel's editorial team.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Neo-Nazis are showing up to rallies, including the one that killed Heather Heyer, wearing Captain America and Hydra gear so I would loving hope so.

gently caress Nick Spencer and Marvel's editorial team.

I think they probably made a bad call on this story too, but they didn't know how bad things would be in real life when they started this event. Showing a corrupted embodiment of American ideals is a concept with artistic merit, and the timeliness of it only adds to that, even if a mainstream superhero comic arguably wasn't the place for it. I think the biggest mistake they made was assuming all the caveats that make it so Steve Rogers isn't actually a Nazi would translate to the far greater number of people who aren't reading the event and especially the more detailed explanations in the comics that led up to it. They got too cute with it, but Hydra are still pretty clearly presented as villains and not aspirational figures.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 19, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

One of my never-gonna-happen ideas for a Batman run would involve Joker deciding to not kill or maim anyone for an entire year because he feels his act is getting stale. So he'd spend his time committing more lighthearted crimes, and being somehow even more of a nuisance to Batman because of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:discourse:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

It really was. Also, Blackest Night was lame overall but man if I didn't get the misty eyes when Hawkgirl took off her mask and it was Shayera.

I'm a Hawks fan but that is because I refuse to acknowledge anything post Hawkworld

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Blackest night would have benefited from the current DC event model. Just crossing over with the space books being our red at that time.

I also like the hawk people.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Sinteres posted:

I think they probably made a bad call on this story too, but they didn't know how bad things would be in real life when they started this event. Showing a corrupted embodiment of American ideals is a concept with artistic merit, and the timeliness of it only adds to that, even if a mainstream superhero comic arguably wasn't the place for it. I think the biggest mistake they made was assuming all the caveats that make it so Steve Rogers isn't actually a Nazi would translate to the far greater number of people who aren't reading the event and especially the more detailed explanations in the comics that led up to it. They got too cute with it, but Hydra are still pretty clearly presented as villains and not aspirational figures.

I got the sense with the whole "Hydra =/= Nazis" thing, between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Spencer's stuff, that they were trying to tie Hydra to a more encompassing notion of fascism, of which Naziism is only one (though primary in the collective imaginations of Western fascist and antifascists) manifestation. Like, Hydra!Steve Rogers won't be sending Jewish people to camps, but he's sure as hell going to send someone (read: Inhumans) because that's what fascists do. Every time, always, no matter how much they swear they're not like those other fascists.

"Too cute with it" isn't an inaccurate description at all. Also, turns out the bastards didn't even care enough to denounce Nazis unequivocally, let alone decapitate the Red Skull and give his head to Magneto.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 19, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

I like Hawkman but you have to admit there's been a lot of garbage Hawkcomics. Then again, you also have the classic Joe Kubert comics, Hawkman in the 60s and 70s Justice League, the beginning of the Thanagar/Rann war stuff, the Hawkworld miniseries and the ongoing that I need to reread because I remember that it started out good but eventually fell apart... I think part of the problem is that there's two or three characters who are called Hawkman that aren't as firmly distinct from each other as the different Flashes or Green Lanterns are, and creators who are fans of all of them.

As I was typing that, I realized that when tertiary characters are in comics that are bad or stupid for awhile, the characters themselves are basically blamed for it. Like no one "blames" Spider-Man for the Clone Saga, it was just a bad period of Spidey comics. Hawkman is a perfectly fine character, and there's plenty of good, readable comics that star or feature him, but he gets inherently written off.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 19, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Couple of chat threads ago, I was asking about who the first superhero was and was pointed to the newspaper character Hugo Hercules who dates from 1902 (had a pretty short printed lifespan; went for five months from late 1902 to early 1903) and inevitably appeared in LoEG.

However, who would be the earliest superhero who had a secret identity and cultivated a separate persona to act as a public face? The ones that immediately occur to me are the Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro, but are there any such characters predating them?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

However, who would be the earliest superhero who had a secret identity and cultivated a separate persona to act as a public face? The ones that immediately occur to me are the Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro, but are there any such characters predating them?

Spring-Heeled Jack in a way.

E: Dick Turpin too.

There's also the Count of Monte Cristo, although in that case the secret identity / public persona is as a part of a specific plan.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I picked up the Wednesday Comics collection for 10 bucks and it's huge and awesome!

I just finished the Kamandi story by Gibbons, and I was wondering if the original Kirby work is worth tracking down? I really enjoyed the setting and the various mutated animal factions, but I don't recall too many people saying Kamandi ranks especially high in Kirby's output.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Kirby work worth tracking down he asks

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Strange Aeon posted:

I picked up the Wednesday Comics collection for 10 bucks and it's huge and awesome!

I just finished the Kamandi story by Gibbons, and I was wondering if the original Kirby work is worth tracking down? I really enjoyed the setting and the various mutated animal factions, but I don't recall too many people saying Kamandi ranks especially high in Kirby's output.

gently caress yes, it's a really good comic. It's just not like, the Fourth World Saga or the best of Fantastic Four.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Amazon's listing one of the current volumes at over $100, so you might have to wait for the new complete omnibus in March https://www.amazon.com/Kamandi-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274692
Otherwise, it's all on Comixology.

There's a current Kamandi Challenge series, which is pretty neat. The point is for each issue's creative team to leave a deathtrap cliffhanger for the next issue's creative team to figure out how to get out of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How did they get out of that one that ended with total evisceration anyway?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just found the right animal genes to reconstitute him. It wasn't too impressive.

I can't wait to see the Tom King/Kevin (TMNT) Eastman finale.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm excited for that Fourth World omnibus. Although it might be even bigger than the Invisbles one.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Amazon's listing one of the current volumes at over $100, so you might have to wait for the new complete omnibus in March https://www.amazon.com/Kamandi-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274692
Otherwise, it's all on Comixology.

There's a current Kamandi Challenge series, which is pretty neat. The point is for each issue's creative team to leave a deathtrap cliffhanger for the next issue's creative team to figure out how to get out of.

Thanks, added the Omnibus to my wishlist.

Unrelated, but didn't want to doublepost--does Amanda Conner have a 'marquee' series I should check out if I like her art? I just read her Supergirl story in Wednesday Comics and really enjoyed the tone of the art.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Power Girl

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Then be disappointing about the tiny amount of interior work she's done since. Funnily enough, an issue of Kamandi Challenge was one of those rare instances.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks, added the Omnibus to my wishlist.

Unrelated, but didn't want to doublepost--does Amanda Conner have a 'marquee' series I should check out if I like her art? I just read her Supergirl story in Wednesday Comics and really enjoyed the tone of the art.

Specifically you should probably pick up Power Girl: Power Trip which collects the 12 issues that Conner did the artwork for as well as Justice Society: Classified 1-4 (also art by Conner). She also did the art for the Terra miniseries, and DC also released a book of the single issues she did for them called, appropriately enough; DC Comics: The Sequential Art of Amanda Conner. The latter is nice since you get to see her art evolve over the years.

There is also a collection of her artwork for various companies (comic and other wise) called The Art of Amanda Conner. It's just artwork though, not comics, but it's still very nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mentioned in a PYF thread in relation to LoEG and now repeated here: am I supposed to attribute a kind of ironic significance to Alan Moore denouncing James Bond as a racist, sexist, alcoholic thug (fair enough) via the mouthpiece of an H. Rider Haggard (a great adventure writer but one who also embodied many of the worst tendencies of his era in his fiction) character, or is it more a case of, "It's okay when my childhood favourites are problematic"? :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aside from Alias, Most of Ennis' stuff and Jason Aaron's Punisher, is there any other good Marvel Max comics, granted what I've listed gets you probably at least a hundred issues of great comics, but it's also literally only 3 writers with 3 main characters.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Alias, Most of Ennis' stuff and Jason Aaron's Punisher, is there any other good Marvel Max comics, granted what I've listed gets you probably at least a hundred issues of great comics, but it's also literally only 3 writers with 3 main characters.

Wisdom and The Hood are both good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Starsnostars posted:

Wisdom and The Hood are both good.

I'll check those out. Looking at a list of MAX titles I'd forgotten about Rawhide Kid, which if I remember correctly didn't really have any "adult" content, just a bunch of terrible jokes about the main character being gay, and was probably on a MAX title because the main character was gay.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

People seem to like the Fury mini-series.

EDIT: \/\/ Sorry, I had forgotten he wrote it.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 21, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

People seem to like the Fury mini-series.

I haven't read it, but that's what I meant by Ennis's stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Zombie MAX comics aren't gonna blow anyone's mind but they're pretty decent zombie outbreak comics with appropriately gross art. Starring Simon Garth!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mentioned in a PYF thread in relation to LoEG and now repeated here: am I supposed to attribute a kind of ironic significance to Alan Moore denouncing James Bond as a racist, sexist, alcoholic thug (fair enough) via the mouthpiece of an H. Rider Haggard (a great adventure writer but one who also embodied many of the worst tendencies of his era in his fiction) character, or is it more a case of, "It's okay when my childhood favourites are problematic"? :shrug:

As brilliant as Moore is, there's no way he could have considered every implication of every character and creator of that character in League. Especially considering some of the deep cuts he makes in western literature, his beating up of Bond struck me as kind of mean-spirited; compared to Quartermain, whom it's doubtful any of his audience would have heard of, let alone read, before encountering him in League, Bond is a household name. So I'd say your second theory is probably closer to the mark, given he has Mina confess to masturbating as a young woman to the adventure tales of Quartermain, probably the most ringing endorsement Alan Moore could make.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Mileage varies wildly, but some other at least noteworthy MAX books:

Cage by Brian Azzarello/Richard Corben depends almost entirely on your tolerance for how Azzarello writes people of color/people in general, but the Corben art is pretty sweet if at times equally problematic.

Starr the Slayer swaps out Azzarello for Daniel Way (a loss in any scenario) but is more Corben bloodiness if that's your thing.

Deadpool MAX by David Lapham and Kyle Baker is nowhere near the best work from either person and is definitely on the far end of "reinterpretations" of Deadpool/Cable/etc. and Baker is in full Poser mode but I stuck with it and remember parts of it being quite funny.

Howard the Duck was Steve Gerber's last major project before he passed away and was uneven but also enjoyable.

Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu was a similar "original creators return to their classic book" but with the bonus that Moench and Gulacy haven't since passed. I never read it though.

And if you're really into any of the following creators, you can be a completist and track down:

Black Widow: Pale Little Spider (Rucka/Kordey)
Dominic Fortune (Howard Chaykin)
Terror, Inc. (Lapham/Zircher)

Speaking personally I can't strongly recommend any of those, though Howard the Duck and Cage are interesting curios, especially given that were it not for Bendis that might have been the revamped Luke Cage of the 21st Century. I liked Deadpool MAX too but I think that I was literally alone on here in thinking that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I liked Deadpool MAX too but I think that I was literally alone on here in thinking that.

No, I liked it too. I was put off by the first issue but by issue 2 I got what the book was going for and I genuinely loved it.

How can you not love a book that features poo poo like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I took off work to drive someone four hours to watch something for two minutes. I wish I’d taken off to just sleep instead.

• Locked thread