Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For those who don't know, Lone Wolf is a series of gamebooks by Joe Dever in which you play as the titular character, a sort of warrior monk with psychic powers in a fantasy world of sword and sorcery. Similar to Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series, except that you play the same character the whole way through in a series of connected adventures instead of unrelated characters in stand-alone stories. The series is broken into four sub-series of five, seven, eight and eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen novels (the last sub-series featuring a new protagonist) and the whole series most of the series is available at Project Aon if you'd like to read ahead or play through on your own. The more recent books are available only from the publisher and the bonus adventures are mostly available nowhere.

For this let's play I'll be using a voting method that's is more of a raffle than a straight-up vote. All the votes will be put into a hat, so to speak, and a winner drawn. This means that less popular choices are less likely to be chosen but still have a chance. Please write your vote in bold so it stands out and only vote once per decision. I've also come up with some ideas for making deaths and other no-win scenarios less annoying.

Specifically, we'll never die to anything unavoidable. If our endurance points go below zero in such a section we'll just carry on regardless. If anything avoidable damages us while we're at zero or negative EP though, that's a different story. Also, no one likes starting over, so if we do die to anything avoidable then we'll just go back and choose another option. Finally, there are some "dead man walking" scenarios where a choice you make leads to you dying much later in the book. In those instances I'll just overrule the book and allow us to survive since doing otherwise would lead to a lot of repetition or (in at least one case) make a whole section of the book effectively unavailable to us since it always ends up that way.

One last thing before we get started: No spoilers. If you've read the books before you can talk about the setting and characters in general, but don't post anything that gives away future plot developments or puzzles. Especially don't tell us if you're voting for something specifically because you already know the outcome. If you haven't read the books before feel free to speculate though. It's also OK to talk about things that would already have happened if we'd made other choices, and I'll be doing that myself at various points.

Table of Contents:
    Kai Series
  1. Flight from the Dark (walkthrough - flow chart)
    Bonus: Extended Edition
    Magnamund Companion: Dawn of the Darklords (flow chart)
  2. Fire on the Water
    Bonus: The Crown of King Alin IV (flow chart)
  3. The Caverns of Kalte
    Bonus: Vonotar's Web (flow chart)
  4. The Chasm of Doom
    Bonus: Ruanon (flow chart)
  5. Shadow on the Sand
    Bonus: The Tomb of the Majhan (flow chart)

Magnakai Series
  6. The Kingdoms of Terror
    Bonus: The Key to the Future (flow chart)
  7. Castle Death
    Bonus: The All Seeing One (flow chart)
  8. The Jungle of Horrors
    Bonus: Masquerade in Hikas (flow chart)
  9. The Cauldron of Fear
  10. The Dungeons of Torgar
  11. The Prisoners of Time
  12. The Masters of Darkness

Grand Master Series
  13. The Plague Lords of Ruel
  14. The Captives of Kaag
  15. The Darke Crusade
  16. The Legacy of Vashna
  17. The Deathlord of Ixia
  18. Dawn of the Dragons
  19. Wolf's Bane
  20. The Curse of Naar

New Order Series
  21. Voyage of the Moonstone
  22. The Buccaneers of Shadaki
  23. Mydnight's Hero (flow chart)
    Bonus: Lost in the Kelderwastes
  24. Rune War (flow chart)
    Bonus: The Traitor's Reward (alternate run)
  25. Trail of the Wolf (flow chart)
    Bonus: Dire in the Dark (Dire #4)
  26. The Fall of Blood Mountain (flow chart)
    Bonus: Destiny Most Dire (Dire #5)
  27. Vampirium
    Bonus: Shadow Stalkers (flow chart)
  28. The Hunger of Sejanoz
    Bonus: Extended Edition
    Bonus: The Edge of Night
  29. The Storms of Chai
    Bonus: The Tides of Gorgoron
  30. Dead in the Deep
    Bonus: Kaum Before the Storm
  31. The Dusk of Eternal Night
  32. Light of the Kai (part I)
  33. Light of the Kai (part II)
    World of Lone Wolf
  1. Grey Star the Wizard (walkthrough)
  2. The Forbidden City
  3. Beyond the Nightmare Gate
  4. War of the Wizards
    Freeway Warrior
  1. Highway Holocaust (flow chart)
  2. Slaughter Mountain Run
  3. The Omega Zone
  4. California Countdown
    Autumn Snow
  1. The Pit of Darkness
  2. The Wildlands Hunt
  3. Slaves of the Mire
    The Dark One
  1. Birth of the Dark One (flow chart)
  2. Ruins of the Ancients (flow chart)
  3. The Memory of Haakon (flow chart)
  4. Scions of Destruction (flow chart)
  5. The DarkLord's Return (flow chart)
  6. The Dark Day (flow chart)
  7. Doom of the Dark One (flow chart)
    The Huntress
    Shadows Over Fire (original Facebook version & flow chart)
  1. Marked for Death
  2. Quelling of the Flame
  3. Echoes of Eternity
Why we're not playing Combat Heroes.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Action Chart

Name: Braveheart
    Combat Skill: 44
    Endurance Points: 47/55
    Kai/Magnakai/Grand Master Disciplines:
  1. Grand Weaponmastery (+5 CS w/ any melee weapon; +5 RN w/ bows; +1 damage per round w/ metal weapons; +3 CS when unarmed)
  2. Deliverance (Once every 20 days, if EP < 9, restore 20 EP - used >20 days ago)
    Curing (Restore 1 EP per numbered section, used 0/10 times this book)
  3. Kai-surge (+8 CS, -1 EP/round)
    Kai-blast (2d10 damage, -4 EP)
    Kai-ray (Once per combat, pay 4 EP to do 15 damage in addition to regular combat damage)
    Mindblast (+4 CS)
  4. Kai-alchemy (Lightning Hand; Levitation; Mind Charm; Sense Evil; Silence, etc.)
  5. Grand Huntmastery
  6. Elementalism
  7. Grand Pathsmanship
  8. Grand Nexus
  9. Astrology
    Sun or Moon (Once per adventure, when fighting in sun- or moonlight, Darkspwawn, Drakkarim, Undead, Vampires, Demons, Agarashi, Necromancers, Nadziranim, Cener Druids, Acolytes of Vashna and Kitaezi Shamans lose 1 CS and 2 EP per combat round. Darklords, Demonlords, evil Shianti and Children of Agarash lose 2 CS at the start of combat.)
    Burashos, the Star of Courage (Resist fear and drain courage from enemies. In the first round of a fight, if an odd number is picked, the enemy inflicts no damage. Doesn't work on mindless creatures (eg. undead, robots) or Champions of Darkness.)
    Kaeymos, the Star of Fate (Once per adventure, when asked to pick a random number outside of combat, roll twice and use whichever result you prefer.)
  10. Kai-screen
  11. Animal Mastery
  12. Bardsmanship
  13. Assimilance
  14. Magi-magic (Shield, Power Word, Invisible Fist, etc.)
    Power Strike (-3 EP: +1 CS and +1 damage per round in which any damage is dealt, for one combat)
  15. Telegnosis
  16. Herbalism
    Weapons:
  1. Bow
  2. Naarvakim Spear (+3 CS; take no damage in first round unless taken by surprise)
    Purse (money)
  • 40 Gold Crowns
  • 8 Nobles
  • 20 Ren
  • 10 Orla
  • 20 Lune
    Backpack:
  1. Illusion Crystal

2. Potion of Klorva (+6 EP)
  3. Karmo (Doubles your ENDURANCE points score for the duration of combat. After consuming Karmo, pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number you choose determines how many ENDURANCE points you lose as a consequence of the side effects (0 = zero).)
  4. Tazheng (a powerful anti-venom)
  5. Demon Stone
  6. Small Onyx Key
  7. Bautarian Antitoxin (2 doses)
  8. Shadakine Astrolabe
  9. Drodarin Bag of Holding (+5 Backpack Spaces)
  10. Healing Potion (+10 EP)
  11. Lencian Lute
  12. Potion of Oxydine (+2 EP or cure Korovax)
  13. Automated Figure
  14. Andui Flask
    Special Items:
  1. Alema (axe; +4 CS or +6 CS vs. undead)
  2. Medallion of Weaponskill (+2 CS; bound to Naarvakim Spear)

3. Korlinium Chainmail Vest (+2 CS)
  4. Quiver (11/12 arrows)
  5. Talisman of Defiance (+2 CS)
  6. Wardstone (-3 CS to undead enemies)
  7. Star-Ska (sword; +4 CS; double damage to Agarashi)
  8. Mind Gem (+2 CS when using Mindblast or Kai-surge)
  9. Naarvakim Pass
  10. Naarvakim Cloak
  11. Power-mace (+2 CS; -2 EP: +3 damage/round).
  12. Platinum Amulet
  13. Crocaryxa (Nyxator Mail; +4 CS; +10 EP; protects against the power of Madness)
  14. Power-key
  15. Turquoise Pearl
  16. Invitation
  17. Large Bag
  18. Travel Bag
  19. Mythenian Dignitary Costume
  20. Nigumu-sa Leather Purse (replaces Belt Pouch and holds 60 GC)
    Deaths:
  1. Killed in combat (book 21).
  2. Killed by a run of bad luck (book 22).
  3. Convicted on some pretty flimsy circumstantial evidence (book 23).
  4. Exploded by a missile (book 28).
  5. Dropped into the Maakengorge (book 30).
  6. Became the Chaos-master of Aon! Master of Paradox! (book 30).
  7. Failed to prevent the resurrection of Vashna (book 30).

Rules currently in effect:

achtungnight posted:

Curing- Use it when we drop below 12 EP and then use it all at once.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

A standing order to always search bodies.

nelson posted:

Always top up arrows when given the opportunity.

Tiggum posted:

Use Kai-surge/Psi-surge whenever the Combat Ratio is below 3.

Toplowtech posted:

Use Kai-surge if enemy is immune to other types of psi-damage.

Maugrim posted:

If even using Kai-surge we're at -9 or lower CS, use Kai-ray/Kai-blast instead

Maugrim posted:

Use Laumspur as soon as possible after EP drops below 26

nelson posted:

Use Alether whenever we are at negative CR and the enemy has more EP than us.

ShadowWraith posted:

Automatically use a Potion of Alether for any fight with a Combat Ratio -7 or worse.

anakha posted:

Power Strike at Combat Ratio -5 or below.

Storage:
  • 114 Gold Crowns

Backpack Items:
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Tehda Key
  • Sadanzo’s Scroll
  • Dungeon Keys
  • Copper Key
  • Iron Key
  • Shovel
  • Copper Key
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Red Key
  • Mirror
  • Potion of Gallowbrush
  • Lunar Compass
  • Vordak Gem
  • Vordak Lord's Gem

Special Items
  • Blue Vial
  • Yellow Vial of Lha
  • Temujun's Ring
  • Sunderer (Drodarin battle-axe; +5 CS)
  • Skull-Tor Wristband
  • Battle-map
  • Bronze Disc (3–2–1)
  • Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  • Kenga’s Ring (Whenever the Eye of Agarash would cause EP loss there's a 40% chance it doesn't)
  • Gold Talisman
  • Crystal Prism
  • Tiger Ring
  • Xi-die
  • Amulet of Fealty
  • Celestial Ring
  • Royal Writ
  • Eye of Lhaz (controls venomous snakes)
  • Alether Berries (+2 CS)

Final stats for Lone Wolf (book 20).
Not-so-final stats for Braveheart (book 28).
Final stats for Grey Star (WoLW book 4).
Final stats for Autumn Snow? (AS book 2).
Final stats for Cal Phoenix (FW book 4).

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 18, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Flight From the Dark posted:

The Story So Far...

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

The Kai monks are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will return to their homes equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of the west.

In olden times, during the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords waged war on Sommerlund. The conflict was a long and bitter trial of strength that ended in victory for the Sommlending at the great battle of Maakengorge. King Ulnar and the allies of Durenor broke the Darklord armies at the pass of Moytura and forced them back into the bottomless abyss of Maakengorge. Vashna, mightiest of the Darklords, was slain upon the sword of King Ulnar, called ‘Sommerswerd’, the sword of the sun. Since that age, the Darklords have vowed vengeance upon Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.

Now it is in the morning of the feast of Fehmarn, when all of the Kai Lords are present at the monastery for the celebrations. Suddenly a great black cloud comes from out of the western skies. So many are the numbers of the black-winged beasts that fill the sky, that the sun is completely hidden. The Darklords, ancient enemy of the Sommlending are attacking. War has begun.

On this fateful morning, you, Silent Wolf (the name given to you by the Kai) have been sent to collect firewood in the forest as a punishment for your inattention in class. As you are preparing to return, you see to your horror a vast cloud of black leathery creatures swoop down and engulf the monastery.

Dropping the wood, you race to the battle that has already begun. But in the unnatural dark, you stumble and strike your head on a low tree branch. As you lose consciousness, the last thing that you see in the poor light are the walls of the monastery crashing to the ground.

Many hours pass before you awake. With tears in your eyes you now survey the scene of destruction. Raising your face to the clear sky, you swear vengeance on the Darklords for the massacre of the Kai warriors, and with a sudden flash of realization you know what you must do. You must set off on a perilous journey to the capital city to warn the King of the terrible threat that now faces his people. For you are now the last of the Kai—you are now the Lone Wolf.

And with that it's time for our first vote!

Kai Disciplines are the psychic powers Lone Wolf can use. We start out with five and get more as we go. Some are definitely better than others, but all of them have potential uses. I've distinguished here between the "special abilities" each Discipline gives (ie. things that you can use all the time without prompting) and the "typical uses" (ie. things the book will allow you to do in certain predetermined locations), but that's just for convenience, it's not a distinction the books actually make and it doesn't indicate relative usefulness. It's possible to win with any selection of Disciplines (particularly the way I play) so I'm just going to throw it open to a vote. So choose up to five Disciplines and I'll pick five winners. If you're winner number three but the first person already chose your top pick I'll take your second, third, fourth, or fifth choice.

Animal Kinship:
Special Abilities: None.
Typical Uses: Communicating with animals.

Camouflage:
Typical Uses: Staying hidden or blending in with locals.

Healing:
Special Abilities: Regain 1 Endurance Point per numbered section without combat.
Typical Uses: Curing disease and healing injuries. Identifying medicines and poisons.

Hunting:
Special Abilities: No need for a Meal when instructed to eat (except in desert or wasteland environments).
Typical Uses: Similar to Camouflage, Sixth Sense and Tracking but less powerful.

Mindblast:
Special Abilities: +2 Combat Skill against most enemies.
Typical Uses: None.

Mind Over Matter:
Typical Uses: Telekinesis. Lockpicking, handling dangerous items from a distance.

Mindshield:
Typical Uses: Immunity to most psychic attacks.

Sixth Sense:
Typical Uses: Warning of danger, sensing motives, detecting magic.

Tracking:
Typical Uses: Reveals the correct path or gives more information about viable alternative paths.

Weaponskill:
Special Abilities: +2 Combat Skill when correct weapon equipped.
Typical Uses: None.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Camouflage

Hunting

Sixth Sense

Tracking

Weaponskill

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I have enjoyed this story both in book form and on these boards in archived threads I have perused. Thanks for starting a thread in which I can participate (the others were before I found and joined SA). I hope we make it through many of the books.

Disciplines- Healing, Hunting, Mindshield, Tracking, Sixth Sense.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Animal Friendship

Camouflage

Hunting

Mindshield

Mind Over Matter

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I've always wanted to read this series; I heard it was great. But for now, I'll just be content playing along at home with the thread.

Anyway, our inscrutable monk-type hero would be best served with Healing, Mind Blast, Sixth Sense, Mind Over Matter, and Weapon Skill.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I found out about this series from the book thread trying to find Grailquest, found the website for Lone Wolf and went through like half the series in a day! I seroiusly love it :v:

Anyway for skills lets go with

Healing,Hunting,Mindblast,Mindshield,Animal Kinship

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Cool, I remember these books! Can't wait to fight a bunch of people that are all uncomfortably described as "swarthy".

Our special powers will be Healing, Hunting, Mind over Matter, Mindshield, and Sixth Sense.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I ... think I remember reading one of these when I was younger, but my memories of it are 100% mixed up in my head with a Ravenloft gamebook I read at the same time. To the point that I could have sworn what I read was a crossover.

Anyway, I say Mindblast, Mindshield, Mind over Matter, Sixth Sense, and Animal Kinship, because our guy is a dog psychic and good at nothing else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, the results are in! Silent Banana has selected Animal Kinship (or friendship if you prefer). It's not the most used Discipline, but it does open up some interesting possibilities at times. HOOLY BOOLY has chosen Healing. One of the best possible choices if you're going by what's most useful most often. Comstar went with Camouflage. Not as useful - in my experience - as you might hope, but it can definitely get you out of a few scrapes. Snorb picked Mind Blast, which is a pretty solid choice - Extra Combat Skill never hurts. And Tuxedo Ted picked Hunting. Given that we don't have Sixth Sense or Tracking, this is a decent substitute, and it's handy not having to bother with Meals.

And with that, we're ready to begin. Our home has been destroyed, our friends and teachers are all dead, our nation's greatest heroes and defenders gone just like that. We've got to warn the king and hope he's got some backup plan for when the bad guys just show up out of nowhere and kill everyone.

Flight from the Dark posted:

You must make haste for you sense it is not safe to linger by the smoking remains of the ruined monastery. The black-winged beasts could return at any moment. You must set out for the Sommlending capital of Holmgard and tell the King the terrible news of the massacre: that the whole élite of Kai warriors, save yourself, have been slaughtered. Without the Kai Lords to lead her armies, Sommerlund will be at the mercy of their ancient enemy, the Darklords.

Fighting back tears, you bid farewell to your dead kinsmen. Silently, you promise that their deaths will be avenged. You turn away from the ruins and carefully descend the steep track.

At the foot of the hill, the path splits into two directions, both leading into a large wood.

I guess we're a bit disoriented from knocking ourself unconscious, because we get no context or clues for this decision, we just have to pick left or right and hope for the best. So, which will it be?

If we'd picked Sixth Sense we'd have a third option here and get to meet Lone Wolf's future BFF, but we'll definitely run into him later so I'll say no more about him for now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tiggum posted:

Specifically, we'll never die to anything unavoidable. If our endurance points go below zero in such a section we'll just carry on regardless. If anything avoidable damages us while we're at zero or negative EP though, that's a different story. Also, no one likes starting over, so if we do die to anything avoidable then it will be retconned into a prophetic vision allowing us to go back and choose another option. Finally, there are some "dead man walking" scenarios where a choice you make leads to you dying much later in the book. In those instances I'll just overrule the book and allow us to survive since doing otherwise would lead to a lot of repetition or (in at least one case) make a whole section of the book effectively unavailable to us since it always ends up that way.

This series pulls this poo poo so often in the early books, really lets down an otherwise good series. Does it ease up in later entries in the series?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This series pulls this poo poo so often in the early books, really lets down an otherwise good series. Does it ease up in later entries in the series?
I'm not as familiar with the later ones (I only owned about half the Magnakai and half the Grand Master books as a child and none of the New Order ones) but I don't think it gets any better. I don't think it really gets any worse though, at least not in that way. It definitely starts to suffer from the problem of not being able to know how many previous books the player has read and therefore how powerful they should be by now though, so you get some encounters that are ludicrously easy if you've played the entire series so far and some that are basically unwinnable if this is your first book. But I think that's mostly the Grand Master series. Up to that point it's pretty much balanced around every book being your first so it's less of a problem.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

We've got pretty decent stats so combat after this first book will not be that big of a deal, it's just kind of rough early on as the first 3 books more so than the others have a lot more "you chose poorly" type instakill scenarios in it, the second one in particular but we'll get to that when it comes up.

Also let's head Right

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Give left a chance.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We always make the right choice!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Might is right! Hopefully it's our might.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm feeling pretty left these days.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
we are all that is Left

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Right is right, right at the start.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

We have a bow and we wish to use it.

wait, I think that was another series

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No, that was this series. We're just not quite there yet.

Trust me, when we get there, I'll be saying that a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We have a bow and we wish to use it.
Not for at least five whole books we don't.

Kanthulhu posted:

we are all that is Left
Well, all right then! By which I mean left.

You have followed this twisting track for about twenty minutes when you hear the beating of wings high above the trees. Looking up you see a large Kraan approaching from the north, its huge black wings casting a gigantic shadow on the trees below.

On its back are two creatures armed with long spears. They are Mountain Giaks—small ugly creatures full of hatred and malice. Many centuries ago, their ancestors were used by the Darklords to build the infernal city of Helgedad, which lies in the volcanic wastelands beyond the Durncrag mountain range. The construction of the city was long and torturous, and only the strongest of the creatures survived the heat and poisonous atmosphere of Helgedad.

Quickly you dive for the shelter of a large fern tree as the Kraan passes overhead. With heart pounding, you pray that your quick reactions have saved you from being spotted.

You pull up the hood of your green Kai cloak and hold your breath as the Kraan circles above. After a few minutes, you hear the frantic curses of the Giaks. The beating of Kraan wings fades, as they disappear towards the west. Your quick reactions have saved you from capture and likely death.

Well, that was lucky. The question now is, do we keep walking along the track and risk being spotted again, or do we prefer taking a chance (and possibly getting lost) by heading deeper into the forest?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Time to head into the outdoors of the forest.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
To the trees!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
go deeper

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nothing adventurous happens on the road. To the forest!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, seems pretty unanimous. Unless this might change your mind?

Just ahead through the tall trees you can see clumps of dark-red gallowbrush, a thorny briar with sharp crimson barbs. The common name for this forest weed is ‘Sleeptooth’, for the thorns are very sharp and can make you feel weak and sleepy if they scratch your skin.
This plant is everywhere out here. The only way to be sure of avoiding it would be going back to the track. But there are still Kraan flying around. So should we press on regardless, or go back?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think I recall a discipline helping with this. I believe it's either Hunting or Camouflage, both of which we have. Press on!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I think I recall a discipline helping with this. I believe it's either Hunting or Camouflage, both of which we have. Press on!

If we had Tracking we could use it here, but we don't so we can't.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Go back.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Forward! :black101:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, didn't mean to spoil. I still say Forward. Better small damage we can heal than getting spotted by the enemy and having to fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK then.

The gallowbrush tears your cloak and scratches deep into your arms and legs as you slowly force your way through. Fifteen minutes later you emerge from the briars and stagger onwards between the trees.
-2 EP. 26/28.

You feel a little dizzy as you push on, and your eyelids seem very heavy. You suddenly find yourself at the edge of a steep wooded slope.
Well, we can either try to get down this steep hill (despite our drowsiness) or we could take the longer but probably safer way by going around.

It's not entirely clear in the rules whether we can use Healing to regain one of those lost Endurance Points immediately, but I'm going to rule that you can't regain health in the same section in which you lost it, so we'll begin healing ourself in the next update.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I was around for the last LP of this series (and even did the updates when the OP was on vacation!) so I've got a soft spot for the Lone Wolf stuff. Glad to see it back on the board.

Be a daredevil, go down.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Longer path means more Healing- maybe. Go around the slope.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The rules technically say that you regen one point for each page done without combat, we haven't had a combat this page so really you could regain that lost point immediately. Plus if you didn't have healing that would be a health point that is totally gone so i would call it a perk of having that discipline.

Although OP is in charge here, so we will keep our boo-boo :v:

Go Around, by the way

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Longer path means more Healing- maybe. Go around the slope.
Not sure we need to worry about that when we're only down two points, but it's as good a reason as any I suppose.

For half an hour or more you press on through the forest, through the rich vegetation and ferns. You happen upon a small clear stream where you stop for a few minutes to wash your face and drink of the cold, fresh water.

Feeling revitalized, you cross the stream and press on. You soon notice the smell of wood smoke which seems to be drifting towards you from the north.
+1 EP. 27/28.

We can now choose either to go toward the smoke or away from it. Investigate or avoid.

Not sliding groggily down a hill was probably a good choice, BTW. If we'd done that there's a 50% chance we'd have broken our axe, which would have left us unarmed (-4 CS).

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 21, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Could be helpful woodsmoke. Investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We always poke our nose into everything. It's the RPG way.