Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

These guys were literal traitors so why are there even confederate monuments to begin with?

I mean you don't see statues of Hitler or Nazi soldiers in Germany because "its history"

I get that it should be remembered and whatnot but it boggles the mind that you would build a statue and name schools after a man who committed treason and caused a loving civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They cannot get over it

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Because Sherman owned them so hard and so totally that we actually felt bad that we could style on fellow americans that hard and let them keep some of their poo poo.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

These guys were literal traitors so why are there even confederate monuments to begin with?

I mean you don't see statues of Hitler or Nazi soldiers in Germany because "its history"

I get that it should be remembered and whatnot but it boggles the mind that you would build a statue and name schools after a man who committed treason and caused a loving civil war.
They like to pretend they won and in return we get to let their part of the country fall into absolute poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Americans are all traitors OP. We all betrayed Mother England.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonstoned posted:

the real answer is to remind black people where they were during desegregation

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That isn't the worst of it, you betrayed tea

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They're only in the south. Many people in the south wish they didn't lose. That's basically it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dragonstoned posted:

This was already addressed by a Smart Goon in a previous thread. I can't remember which goon it was though (sorry). I did not know this previously, but nearly all these statues were put up in the nineteen teens and nineteen twenties during the literal peak of the KKK and racism, and the reason they did it was because they didn't have the technology to make an everburning cross at the time.

They're literally monuments to slavery and racism.

He had links and charts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They want to remember the good men that sent hundreds of thousands of men to die for a stupid loving cause.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Egbert Souse posted:

They want to remember the good men that sent hundreds of thousands of men to die for a stupid loving cause.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
it gives people something to be prideful over. otherwise they might have an existential crisis and actually rebel.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

IDK much about the Slave Owner Rebellion but I think the north was too lenient on them myself.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
They're mostly giant 'you're not welcome here' signs aimed at black people

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

scrubs season six posted:

This was already addressed by a Smart Goon in a previous thread. I can't remember which goon it was though (sorry). I did not know this previously, but nearly all these statues were put up in the nineteen teens and nineteen twenties during the literal peak of the KKK and racism, and the reason they did it was because they didn't have the technology to make an everburning cross at the time.

He had links and charts.

holy loving poo poo :stonk:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

stats goon utterly destroys heritage not hate argument

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mr.Tophat posted:

That isn't the worst of it, you betrayed tea

On the other hand

Tea fuckin sucks

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skypie posted:

On the other hand

Tea fuckin sucks

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

checkmate

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Skypie posted:

On the other hand

Tea fuckin sucks

Some Earl Gray with a little milk and sugar is good once in a while and nearly any variety of iced tea that isn't powdered Lipton served at a Dennys loving owns so you are wrong and bad.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pg tips brewed in human tears

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Some Earl Gray with a little milk and sugar is good once in a while and nearly any variety of iced tea that isn't powdered Lipton served at a Dennys loving owns so you are wrong and bad.

gj making tea flavored ice cream for yourself

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

only acceptable tea is English Breakfast. all other tea sucks.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
A lot of them were put up in the 60s as a pushback against the civil rights movement, thats when the confederate flag started to be flown around again too i think i read

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

He had links and charts.

I am quoting that guy that's quoting that guy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

only acceptable tea is English Breakfast. all other tea sucks.

English breakfast is one of the other best ones. Probably better than earl gray but I thought of earl gray first.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

the dad from ALF
Nov 2, 2008

I'm just sick of everything here I'm going to Detroit to find happiness within the auto industry.

fbsw posted:

checkmate

Oh poo poo, it's Clayton Bigsby's daughter!

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

He had links and charts.

Wow ok (I'd love to see that post if anyone else knows where to find it)

a hole-y ghost posted:

stats goon utterly destroys heritage not hate argument

the white supremacists waving nazi flags at a protest about taking one of these statues down also confirms this as well

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fbsw posted:

Tea flavored ice cream has been the deciding factor in two different Iron Chef competitions so this is a good thing.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
They're reminders that once, our differences were so great that we went to war over them, with good men fighting on each side, but now we must heal the wounds of the past and come together as a people.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Excuse me but don't you ever fuckin imply I eat at Dennys ever again.

I will drink powdered Nestea made with a pound of sugar tho

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
i mean, the confederate flag looks cool right. the us flag looks more...heroic. to put it in modern terms, the us flag looks like captain america and the confederate flag looks like iron man.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Zorodius posted:

They're reminders that once, our differences were so great that we went to war over them, with good men fighting on each side, but now we must heal the wounds of the past and come together as a people.
they might as well replace them with captain america civil war posters, people would understand that a lot better

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

fbsw posted:

i mean, the confederate flag looks cool right. the us flag looks more...heroic. to put it in modern terms, the us flag looks like captain america and the confederate flag looks like iron man.
see what did I just say

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sherman didn't go far enough, imagine how good america would be today with the south still being a smoldering ruinous wasteland

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*in extremely foghorn leghorn voice* well ya see son, it's heritage not hate *winks so audibly loud you can hear it on pluto*

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

:britain:

but I guess we got over it, unlike those Southern states

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

fbsw posted:

Historical documents reveal the Sons of Liberty dumped the tea overboard after learning the Redcoats were planning to add milk to it. A mercy killing to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

fbsw posted:

That flag you're thinking of...it's not the national Confederate flag.

• Locked thread