Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I did. It was also the ugliest car I ever owned. It was my best friend's Ford Pinto, she gave it to me when I was 19 after she bought a better car. It was duck poop green, reeked of the hay she hauled in it, and was indestructible. It had a flat once and I used Fix a Flat spray to get home. I hadn't replaced that tire yet when it was stolen from a fast food parking lot (I left the keys in it.)

We all figured it was gone for good but a few weeks later the police called me, they'd found it in the woods, would I go pick it up? We drove up in the hills and obviously kids had taken it joyriding, it was dented up, tree branches were sticking out of the front bumper, beer cans rolling around inside, but that tire was still holding, and it started on the first crank.

I drove it for another year and then sold it for $200 bucks to a couple of guys who wanted the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I drive one now. A 1990 Accord with 330,000 miles on it. I am intent on driving it into the ground but it just won't die. Fucker looks like hell. AC works badass!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

A really pristine car is kind of a shame to see, for me. Cars are meant to be used

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Seeing a pristine, clean pickup truck with clean wheels and tires that didn't just come out of the wash gives me white knuckles.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my 06 tj will never die and also will never quit leaking oil, it's great

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Confession.....never owned a new car. Typical goon, no?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

let it mellow posted:

leaky rear end cars are the best, you're marking your territory 24/7

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i had an old-rear end buick regal with the buick 3.8l v6, so yeah basically

now i have a toyota camry

so, still yeah

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i had an old-rear end buick regal with the buick 3.8l v6, so yeah basically

now i have a toyota camry

so, still yeah
camrys own, so do civics

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I had a 2000 Saturn SL2 until something like 2015 when I slipped off the road during an ice storm and it landed on a rock and cracked the engine block.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My father's minivan drove to the moon like twice and was eventually replaced only because he managed to accidentally drive it over a cliff. godspeed plod wagon.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yeah, 67 Volkswagen beetle. It was a really good car except that my dad wouldn't listen when I told him the brakes wouldn't work. Eventually I learned how to tighten the brakes but not before each of us broke the windshield because it wouldn't brake effectively.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

My father's minivan drove to the moon like twice and was eventually replaced only because he managed to accidentally drive it over a cliff. godspeed plod wagon.

Hello. :)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Spinster posted:

I did. It was also the ugliest car I ever owned.

Ugliest by far - one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. A 1976 fuel injected Volkswagen Beetle (which is some sort of abomination in itself). It was a dark gold color, with brown and orange striping on the body and hood, the worst of the Seventies colors that I've always hated. A vanity plate with the model year and a reference to how zippy it was. Fenders dented by the prior owner (my ex, before she stopped drinking). I bought it off her for $400. Quick off the line, though, so to speak, so it was really fun to toy with the type of SUV drivers who desperately want to get ahead of anyone next to them before reaching the next light. Stay just ahead of them, watching them, out of the corner of your eye, get all worked up about nothing.

There was only one mechanic in the area who knew how to smog it, and after two times he told me not to bring it back the next year. It was just to hard to get it to pass. So when the engine died one day, I just pulled over and left it there for a while. Sold it to the junkyard for $100. It lasted twenty-five years, and went to its final resting place on 11 September 2001. I found out about the World Trade Center while walking (I was going to throw in some wheels that I had, but the power was out in the area*, so the garage gate wouldn't open) to meet the tow truck. Overhearing "The World Trade Center just fell down" is pretty high on the list of surreal experiences for me.

* People were joking that the terrorists had hit New York, Oakland, and Piedmont.

e: I have no idea what the mileage was

Flyball fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 19, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah OP it was your mom and she was gassy af

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Flyball posted:

Ugliest by far - one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. A 1976 fuel injected Volkswagen Beetle (which is some sort of abomination in itself). It was a dark gold color, with brown and orange striping on the body and hood, the worst of the Seventies colors that I've always hated. A vanity plate with the model year and a reference to how zippy it was. Fenders dented by the prior owner (my ex, before she stopped drinking). I bought it off her for $400. Quick off the line, though, so to speak, so it was really fun to toy with the type of SUV drivers who desperately want to get ahead of anyone next to them before reaching the next light. Stay just ahead of them, watching them, out of the corner of your eye, get all worked up about nothing.

There was only one mechanic in the area who knew how to smog it, and after two times he told me not to bring it back the next year. It was just to hard to get it to pass. So when the engine died one day, I just pulled over and left it there for a while. Sold it to the junkyard for $100. It lasted twenty-five years, and went to its final resting place on 11 September 2001. I found out about the World Trade Center while walking (I was going to throw in some wheels that I had, but the power was out in the area*, so the garage gate wouldn't open) to meet the tow truck. Overhearing "The World Trade Center just fell down" is pretty high on the list of surreal experiences for me.

* People were joking that the terrorists had hit New York, Oakland, and Piedmont.

e: I have no idea what the mileage was

So you caused 9 11.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I hope my old beemer never dies.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Spinster posted:

So you caused 9 11.

Retrograde causality?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Navin Johnson posted:

Confession.....never owned a new car. Typical goon, no?

i think typically millenial. hand-me-downs or cheapo used cars is pretty typical. not necessarily goony but since most goons are millenials i guess it works.

i think everyone has had it drilled into their head "dont buy new, you lose 20% of your value just driving off the lot!" but i really dont know how much that's still true, recently been shopping for either used or new cars and honestly the used prices for something say 2014, even if you could haggle a k or so, are pretty loving insane and not a whole lot differnt than just buying a nice new 2017 model that it seemed like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're really pinching pennies. maybe it was just the models i was actually interested in tho (i.e. no chevy or chrystler or ford gm stuff)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

i think everyone has had it drilled into their head "dont buy new, you lose 20% of your value just driving off the lot!"

Buy one with 6000 miles on the odometer, just broken in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
That would be ideal but I really didn't see any, basically everything was like 30-60k+ miles per car year, and it actually had less than that it was still sizeable 5 figgie priced.

But this is the bay area and uber drivers and poo poo have probably hosed up a lot of the markets too with for newer used car demand so idk. granted I also wasn't constantly f5-ing and scouring craigslist every hour of the day to see if something popped and mostly looking at trucar and casually browsing some used dealerships and stuff.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

That would be ideal but I really didn't see any, basically everything was like 30-60k+ miles per car year, and it actually had less than that it was still sizeable 5 figgie priced.

But this is the bay area and uber drivers and poo poo have probably hosed up a lot of the markets too with for newer used car demand so idk. granted I also wasn't constantly f5-ing and scouring craigslist every hour of the day to see if something popped and mostly looking at trucar and casually browsing some used dealerships and stuff.

I lucked into one, just because my friend needed someone someone to drive him around to buy a truck, and I thought I might as well too, to stop racking up miles on the car with commuting. I'd had no plan to buy a vehicle at all, and got it at a dealer whose ad I saw while we were eating lunch. The only time that a car ad was anything but a loving nuisance

I'm in the Bay Area too, but it was a different era.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My grandfather had this giant hearse vehicle (except it wasn't a hearse, just a massive station wagon) that was made of heavy loving steel. One time a car crashed into it.. the car got it's front blown off, his 60s station wagon of doom just ate it with a few scratches.

In the end, they decided they wanted a cooler car, not an awesome one that would withstand direct high speed impacts without blinking, and they sold it to the demotion derby (seriously). To this day I regret not going to see it in action, I'm sure it owned face.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
My old caprice refused to die, even after a decade of the most aggressive driving possible. It was finally done in by a tree limb during a freak derecho in 2012. It still ran, but the windshield was all smashed up, so I let it sit for a bit too long, and now it won't start. I could get it running with a fairly minor amount of work, but I have nowhere to put it, so it sits and waits for better days.

I loved loving around in that old beast, but my current truck puts out more power, even if it isn't actually any faster. My ex-wife and I both kinda lost our virginity in the back seat. Almost all of my speeding tickets occurred in its driver's seat. It traveled with me to hell (and Alabama) and back. I got over 140mph on a couple of occasions, although I don't know exactly how fast I was going due to the natural inaccuracy of speedometers. My younger puppy sprayed diarrhea poo poo all over the back seat as I was driving her home from the shelter, and it took me like a week to clean it up, so that was nice.

Anyway, I still love that car, even if I can't currently drive it. I know a mostly stock LT-1 is basically garbage now (all of the various "sports car" v-6s make well over 300hp), but it was loving bad rear end in the early 2000s. I had so much sex in that car...between the wide back seat and deeply reclining front seats, there was never a lack of space for bangin'.

This and my old Scottsdale are my greatest automotive regrets. That old truck was rotting apart, but some redneck had slapped a new cam and headers on it before I got my hands on it. The caprice was still faster, but loving around with that 5 speed and a somewhat-tuned wet manifold 350 made it feel like you were accomplishing something. That thing was the opposite of a car that just wouldn't die. It was rusting apart around me, and it was all I could do to sell the engine and transmission after the brake and fuel lines rotted off. I sometimes wonder what happened to that engine and transmission, but then I remember that I have two newer and more powerful v-8s laying around, so oh well.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Xaris posted:

i think typically millenial. hand-me-downs or cheapo used cars is pretty typical. not necessarily goony but since most goons are millenials i guess it works.

i think everyone has had it drilled into their head "dont buy new, you lose 20% of your value just driving off the lot!" but i really dont know how much that's still true, recently been shopping for either used or new cars and honestly the used prices for something say 2014, even if you could haggle a k or so, are pretty loving insane and not a whole lot differnt than just buying a nice new 2017 model that it seemed like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're really pinching pennies. maybe it was just the models i was actually interested in tho (i.e. no chevy or chrystler or ford gm stuff)

I bought my wife's new 2014 Cruze in November of that year for less than the same thing used on the same lot. Unless the new model year has some feature that you absolutely have to have, buy last year's car and save.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BLARGHLE posted:

buy last year's car and save.

This is a pro move. I used to buy bikes this way. Particularly if there's been a facelift model released that year, the older ones can be a total bargain.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I hope my old beemer never dies.
Remember—it needs only to outlive you.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

let it mellow posted:

I aim to drive my Kia until at least 300,000, only 121,000 more to go.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

This is a pro move. I used to buy bikes this way. Particularly if there's been a facelift model released that year, the older ones can be a total bargain.

And then have sex in it. Was I unclear about that?

Oh, and if there is a "classic" version of a new model year, don't buy it. It's just the leftovers from the old model year, and you can get that exact vehicle for cheaper with a different number arbitrarily attached. I don't think anyone has done that in a while, but GM pulled that poo poo with the Silverado and Malibu at different points.

Asian manufacturers don't seem to go on the same nonsensical calendar as the rest of us, so there is often overlap in late-whatever-year/early-whatever-year parts

Basically, always buy late model year, because any fuckups are typically resolved at that point, and the new model year cars are coming out, so you can get the "old" stuff super cheap.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 19, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BLARGHLE posted:

And then have sex in it. Was I unclear about that?

I don't think you were at all unclear, no. I have an old BMW, so of course I'm obliged to smoke grass in it.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

I don't think you were at all unclear, no. I have an old BMW, so of course I'm obliged to smoke grass in it.

I wasn't aware that smoking pot in them was an obligation, but it certainly seems to be the custom. "Performing absolutely no maintenance" and "not paying the bills" also seem to be BMW customs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Smoking weed is very much an obligation in it. It's a tough cross to bear sometimes.

I'm going to change the oil next week, I feel bad about it. Thanks!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 19, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Navin Johnson posted:

I drive one now. A 1990 Accord with 330,000 miles on it. I am intent on driving it into the ground but it just won't die. Fucker looks like hell. AC works badass!

4th gen accords are ridiculously long-lived, mine lasted ~360k before we sold it

manuals are the best

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Waffle House posted:

4th gen accords are ridiculously long-lived, mine lasted ~360k before we sold it

manuals are the best

maybe those were better but I have an 2001 accord and technically it works, but i've had to replace the tranny and several other major parts that just hosed up so its kind of a franken-car by now. idk for being a honda it had a surprisingly lot of problems 9 years later, with really not that many miles. I dunno if that was just a particularly bad year or what.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Xaris posted:

maybe those were better but I have an 2001 accord and technically it works, but i've had to replace the tranny and several other major parts that just hosed up so its kind of a franken-car by now. idk for being a honda it had a surprisingly lot of problems 9 years later, with really not that many miles. I dunno if that was just a particularly bad year or what.

Theseus' car

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

a hole-y ghost posted:

Seeing a pristine, clean pickup truck with clean wheels and tires that didn't just come out of the wash gives me white knuckles.

THANK YOU. I bought a truck last year and my dad is constantly on my rear end whenever I go to visit him that it isn't spotless. Dude I have a farm. Yes it's a nice truck but I got it for work. Kiss my butt.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Yea the car was me

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Supercondescending posted:

THANK YOU. I bought a truck last year and my dad is constantly on my rear end whenever I go to visit him that it isn't spotless. Dude I have a farm. Yes it's a nice truck but I got it for work. Kiss my butt.
It's what they're for. Same with jeeps and any other off-roady kind of vehicle

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Take care of your cars, guys. I drive an 01 Honda CR-V that's in great shape with like 200k miles on it and I'll probably get a shitload more on top of that because I'm a cheap piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I daily a 1966 Dart,

I just changed the plugs and they were also from 1966.

• Locked thread