Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Problem description: My monitor turns off shortly after windows loads. It displays a "no signal" message, and no amount of moving the mouse or mashing buttons will get it to turn back on. This occurs shortly after Windows loads. It'll display the desktop for about 10-15 seconds, then the screen turns off.

Attempted fixes: I've tried basically everything that people recommend when you Google search this problem. Tried hooking my computer up to a different display and got the same problem there, so I know the fault isn't with my monitor. Booting into safe mode "fixes" the problem in that I can remain in the safe mode desktop indefinitely. From there, I tried uninstalling the drivers for my video card (a GeForce GTX 970) and reinstalling them, but to no avail. I also tried disabling the video card entirely, which did allow me to boot the computer normally and not encounter the problem. I reinstalled the drivers from there too, but once I restarted the computer I was back to having the display black out.

The obvious answer here is that the problem is with the video card, but I was curious whether there's any chance the problem could be with my PSU. Like, is my PSU just unable to provide the power necessary to keep the video card running, so it just shuts off? It's about seven years old at this point, so I figured it's not outside the realm of possibility that it's starting to crap out on me. Unfortunately I don't have a spare video card or PSU laying around, so testing to figure out where the problem lies gets difficult beyond this point.

Recent changes: This started after I installed and played Payday 2, though I'm not sure what the relation there would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply? Really though if it's 7 years old it's probably time for replacement with a decent quality model.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Alereon posted:

What's the brand and model of your power supply? Really though if it's 7 years old it's probably time for replacement with a decent quality model.

It's a Seasonic SS-430GB. Is that a possible cause of the problem? I'd hope it's not the video card, which I bought probably less than a year and a half ago.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah I would definitely get a new good quality power supply and try again. Power supplies lose capacity as they age, so if you start with a low-wattage model like that you cap its useful lifespan pretty severely if you plan to put it under load.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Alereon posted:

Yeah I would definitely get a new good quality power supply and try again. Power supplies lose capacity as they age, so if you start with a low-wattage model like that you cap its useful lifespan pretty severely if you plan to put it under load.

Progress report: replaced the PSU, got the same problem. Looks like it's the video card after all. A good excuse to upgrade, I suppose.

• Locked thread