Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

raid 6 or suck dicks imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

raid 0: dont be a hero

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs raid 1

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

make your own with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L99pUANaA

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Agile Vector posted:

raid 6 or suck dicks imo

checking in on this every few months: is RAID still hosed in BTRFS?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's usable now, don't know why they still have that big, red warning on the wiki (maybe because those last scrub fixes are pretty recent)

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hrm, yes, there has been 20 days without a major patch fixing serious data loss issues, this is the kind of filesystem track record on which i shall stake my data!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

raid 6 or suck dicks imo

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

well those are kinda cute

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

checking in on this every few months: is RAID still hosed in BTRFS?

btrfs is completely hosed, why would you use it?

use regular linux mdraid, or a hardware raid controller, and a filesystem that is intended not to lose your data

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

get an older Sun rackmount server for a few hundred with like 128GB of RAM and multiple 10GE ports

put a ton of SAS disks in it along with Illumos or Solaris 10

export the storage as a giant iSCSI volume

ignore your power bills

this would be a cool option except that the best sun x86 gear uses 2.5" disks, which are kind of expensive

also oracle's support policy for hobbyists is ... not wonderful. getting solaris 11 is very easy. getting patches for solaris 11 is a pain in the balls

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
zfs

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btrfs is completely hosed, why would you use it?

use regular linux mdraid, or a hardware raid controller, and a filesystem that is intended not to lose your data

no, btrfs owns, but you have to commit to it, knowing just enough so you understand when you have to use nocow, and when you need to balance it and such

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
or you can use zfs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i havent thought about file systems at all in years thanks to ntfs. it just works

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

i havent thought about file systems at all in years thanks to ntfs. it just works
nah ntfs is garbage in 2017 just like hfs+

refs is an improvement. zfs is good but showing its age. apfs is shaping up to be good

on paper btrfs is good but uhhhh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is very very good.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

ntfs is very very good.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

ntfs is very very good.

no copy on write

let me just make a small edit to this large file and save...
oh wait the power went out and I lost the edit and the original

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:discourse:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
there are always new and more linux isos. do you really need to store your old ones?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i got a qnap ts-251 and it has been very satisfactory

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

illmatic and i am both have classics op

sincere thanks for making this the first reply

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

no copy on write

let me just make a small edit to this large file and save...
oh wait the power went out and I lost the edit and the original

this never really happens on ntfs. it is metadata journaling, and pretty good at it because windows crashes a lot.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this would be a cool option except that the best sun x86 gear uses 2.5" disks, which are kind of expensive

also oracle's support policy for hobbyists is ... not wonderful. getting solaris 11 is very easy. getting patches for solaris 11 is a pain in the balls

I wasn't talking about Sun x86 gear, I was talking about something like a [url= https://www.ebay.com/itm/251984487951]T5240[/url]

don't know why that one is $1100, I've seen them for $400

and then you also don't have to worry about updates because there aren't any!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

ntfs is very very good.

unironically agreeing with shaggar for once

NTFS is actually a well-designed filesystem

of course that's the design, when it comes to the implementation…

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I wasn't talking about Sun x86 gear, I was talking about something like a [url= https://www.ebay.com/itm/251984487951]T5240[/url]

don't know why that one is $1100, I've seen them for $400

and then you also don't have to worry about updates because there aren't any!

you werent thinking big enough

sun used x86 for their storage-focused models

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you werent thinking big enough

sun used x86 for their storage-focused models

thumper :swoon:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its synology, op

i got a couple extra 2 bays if you want em

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

code:
space:/redz/video/youtube$ sudo zpool status
pool: redz
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 53h40m with 0 errors on Tue Aug 15 06:04:39 2017
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        redz                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz3-0                                    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0137603  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0119220  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0115922  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0136219  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0116420  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T2586745  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0137388  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T2647470  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0137611  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T2614610  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T0118042  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T2622029  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
space:/redz/video/youtube$ sudo zpool list
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
redz  32.5T  29.8T  2.69T         -    43%    91%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
help I am running out of space, what should I do

also all these drives are from 2013 and not a single one has had to be replaced because zfs just resilvers the occasional bad block while scrubbing each month, unlike garbage hardware raid implementations

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
zfs is so good. I wish oracle wasn't such a poo poo company so we could use it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

help I am running out of space, what should I do

delete everything including your posts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

also all these drives are from 2013 and not a single one has had to be replaced because zfs just resilvers the occasional bad block while scrubbing each month, unlike garbage hardware raid implementations

lol what kind of poo poo hardware controllers are you using? a perc/LSI would handle that just fine

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Both PERC and HP Smart Array (at least the old ones) are really bad at handling subsequent disk errors while rebuilding, about the only thing they can deal with is SMART pre-fail warnings. They will kick the redundant drives out of the array on the first write/read error and start rebuilding on the spare, and then proceed to poo poo themselves when they hit another bad block on a different disk even though the original disk might contain the valid data it needs.

ZFS on the other hand will not eject a drive from the raid unless it is completely offline and not responding, and since everything is checksummed and copy on write it can still use the partial contents of a drive that might be having hardware issues and verify that the data is good. It is not the fastest in the world but drat good at keeping data integrity.

But yeah Oracle should be forced to give ZFS back to the community at gunpoint

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:yeah:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs also has scrub and can silently fix bad block errors just like zfs, use that instead of a out-of-tree module that you know never will be a part of mainline linux

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Both PERC and HP Smart Array (at least the old ones) are really bad at handling subsequent disk errors while rebuilding, about the only thing they can deal with is SMART pre-fail warnings. They will kick the redundant drives out of the array on the first write/read error and start rebuilding on the spare, and then proceed to poo poo themselves when they hit another bad block on a different disk even though the original disk might contain the valid data it needs.

ZFS on the other hand will not eject a drive from the raid unless it is completely offline and not responding, and since everything is checksummed and copy on write it can still use the partial contents of a drive that might be having hardware issues and verify that the data is good. It is not the fastest in the world but drat good at keeping data integrity.

I don't know what gen of PERCs you were working with but they don't jettison on predictive failure unless its exhausted remappable sectors or at least coming close to its limit. It doesn't rebuild the array on the first remap, it takes a whole bunch and you have to ignore the warnings for a while to get to the point you are describing.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
upload everything to a google drive and use plex cloud

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wouldn't linux software raid with regular scrubbing be good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
get a synology because its dead simple

or you could roll your own if you want to spend your time at home janitoring computers

• Locked thread