Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Problem description: For the past week or so, I've been coming home in the evening and finding that my desktop has slow internet. My normal speeds are around 60/5 Mbps, and this is today's result:

I ran a speedtest on my phone and got 30/4. Last week I was getting a good download speed, but an upload speed low enough to cause the test to fail. I posted about this a few months to a year ago and the consensus was that my ethernet port was going out, so I got a PCIe network card and a new cable. This worked for a while, but now I'm getting it back on both my motherboard port and card port. I tried another cable as well, which had no effect. It's a bit hard to troubleshoot because as soon as I restart the desktop, unplug a cable, or reset my router/modem, everything is fine. I can't get it to repeat until the next day. And just now as I went to check on something in Device Manager, I have more Network Adapters that I didn't add. Normally it's just the two Realtek:

I'm totally open to suggestions for other sites to check out/ask on as well. I'm having a hard time knowing how to troubleshoot this or even google with something more specific.

Attempted fixes:
Different ethernet cable
New ethernet card
Updated drivers, both use Realtek 10.019
Used device manager to manually set speed/duplex to "1 Gbps Full Duplex"

Recent changes: Not aside from the ones I mentioned here as attempts to fix things.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
NIC: TP-Link TG-3468
Router/Modem: Motorola Surfboard SBG6850

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Do you only have only one desktop device?

If resetting the gateway fixes the issue I'd try another one if possible.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, that's the only thing I have that's wired. And you mean try another router and modem?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deeters posted:

Yeah, that's the only thing I have that's wired. And you mean try another router and modem?

Yes, a device that handles the modulating and demodulating (modem) and routing (router) is called a gateway. It's technically a hybrid.

• Locked thread