Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sunsetaware posted:

I'd say give it a try, except perhaps be prepared to offer a helping hand or a sympathetic ear for venting, depending, for some highly annoying sneak sequences especially in the last episode. Other than that it's just the kind of game I'd recommend.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd say yes, and would also recommend Oxenfree.

I absolutely love the Backtalk mechanic, and I loved the D&D game, and loved using backtalk IN the D&D game

What happens if you go to the boss fight without going for loot, and therefore without the acid blast getting wasted?

SirKibbles posted:

Life is Strange episode 1 is still free so it costs nothing to just have her try Episode 1

If you liked the first soundtrack it's more of the same with one or two more faster paced songs because Chloe

I don't know it doesn't

seem too high

on the scale

I mean every draws sexy pictures of their friends right? Seriously the last one made me laugh because it's the first journal page and compared to the first games slow burn and awkward glaces, it's just like nah this poo poo is hella gay

Thanks guys, bought Life is Strange. Oxenfree was on sale for a fiver, so I bought that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
So should I get the deluxe edition? The bonus episode is the only thing that sounds neat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

succ posted:

So should I get the deluxe edition? The bonus episode is the only thing that sounds neat.

Go for it. It's not that much more and the bonus episode should be pretty interesting. If you've played through everything else, there's no reason not to skip on a bonus episode, you know?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexie posted:

Go for it. It's not that much more and the bonus episode should be pretty interesting. If you've played through everything else, there's no reason not to skip on a bonus episode, you know?

So how does the bonus episode work anyway? Is it unlocked automatically upon starting the Deluxe version or will it not unlock until all 3 main episodes are released (I'm assuming the latter seeing as I haven't found any footage of it online yet)?

It supposedly takes place right before Max moved to Seattle and you take back control of her younger self for the duration. I'm curious if they'll be able to get Hannah Telle back to reprise her role for it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
ok the backtalk with David was kind of fun, even though it kind of sucks knowing he redeems himself a bit in the original.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Larryb posted:

So how does the bonus episode work anyway? Is it unlocked automatically upon starting the Deluxe version or will it not unlock until all 3 main episodes are released (I'm assuming the latter seeing as I haven't found any footage of it online yet)?

It supposedly takes place right before Max moved to Seattle and you take back control of her younger self for the duration. I'm curious if they'll be able to get Hannah Telle back to reprise her role for it.

Unsure when the bonus episode is available. When you buy the deluxe version, the only thing you have access to right now is Ep 1.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They said the bonus episode will be available after episode 3 sometime, I'm pretty sure.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

How do I change outfits to the deluxe edition bonus outfits? When I have my choice the next day I can only pick the raven shirt.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Try going through again. It should be an option labelled something bonus outfits and then you can pick from the preorder ones.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rosalind posted:

How do I change outfits to the deluxe edition bonus outfits? When I have my choice the next day I can only pick the raven shirt.

If you're like me you're probably using the left stick to select, which does nothing so it looks like only the raven is usable. Look around with the right stick and select the one labelled bonus outfits.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Crushed to find out there was already a thread after checking the first few pages of Games several times. That's the first and last time I try to do an OP. Sucks not having a search function, etc. Love that we both used the e/n tag and the flipoff peace out gif though.

the_american_dream posted:

ok the backtalk with David was kind of fun, even though it kind of sucks knowing he redeems himself a bit in the original.
I thought the prequel did a really good job of making me want to give him poo poo, despite understanding and learning to like him in the original. Chloe's kind of awful to her nice hardworking mum, but he's just SUCH a dick. I was going to let him lecture until he said I'd "enjoyed a vacation from having a father figure" - how could anyone NOT pick "Shut. This. Down."??

Quote-Unquote posted:

If you're like me you're probably using the left stick to select, which does nothing so it looks like only the raven is usable. Look around with the right stick and select the one labelled bonus outfits.
Argh, I wondered if I was supposed to have options without the deluxe edition. Spent the whole game with Chloe running around in that stupid white tee. How many options are there?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad to hear it's not completely terrible but I think I'm gonna hold off on getting this right now because...

1. Strikebreaking is not cool.
2. Reviews have all agreed that not much moves forward with this episode.
3. I'm worried this is just gonna become the waifu simulator people wanted the original LiS to be and rewrite the ending.

Yeah, I'm also in the 'wait and see' camp, too. Initial impressions don't seem nearly as bad as I had worried, but they also don't seem to be particularly flattering, too. I have a feeling it'll loved or hated based on how it unfolds.

The fact that it's written by a different group and doesn't have the original VA are huge strikes against it in my mind. There's a huge part of me that wants more Chloe but, like, a lot if it was the life Burch brought to the character and her relationship with Max. I was never very interested in Rachel Amber.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, I'm also in the 'wait and see' camp, too. Initial impressions don't seem nearly as bad as I had worried, but they also don't seem to be particularly flattering, too. I have a feeling it'll loved or hated based on how it unfolds.

The fact that it's written by a different group and doesn't have the original VA are huge strikes against it in my mind. There's a huge part of me that wants more Chloe but, like, a lot if it was the life Burch brought to the character and her relationship with Max. I was never very interested in Rachel Amber.

To be fair, Burch seems to be the only VA from the first game that couldn't return for BtS (though she is still part of the production crew as a writer/consultant though). I will admit she was probably the best of the bunch overall (though for it being the majority of the cast's first time acting I'd say most of them did a drat good job).

It probably would have been better to hold off on the project until after the strike was settled but that might have been out of the team''s hands at this point.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Larryb posted:

It probably would have been better to hold off on the project until after the strike was settled but that might have been out of the team''s hands at this point.

With Life is Strange 2 in development for 2018, I'm guessing Square-Enix told them it was now-or-never for the prequel. Don't want the sequel and the prequel coming out too close together and stealing hype from each other.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

VagueRant posted:

I thought the prequel did a really good job of making me want to give him poo poo, despite understanding and learning to like him in the original. Chloe's kind of awful to her nice hardworking mum, but he's just SUCH a dick. I was going to let him lecture until he said I'd "enjoyed a vacation from having a father figure" - how could anyone NOT pick "Shut. This. Down."??

I had a similar thought with him. Started off that scene trying to be nice about him, but then when you actually speak to him I was like "this dude is a massive dick".

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Chloe and Nathan got new voices since their actors were union. Everyone else weren't as far as I know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Chloe and Nathan got new voices since their actors were union. Everyone else weren't as far as I know.

Really? Nathan sounded exactly the same to me (the only one I'm not sure is the same or not is Frank but I can't find anything saying otherwise regarding him).

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
any news on why Burch was allowed to return to voice Aloy in the upcoming horizon dlc but not chloe, unless Sony came to some agreement with the union while Square didn't care about recasting

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

any news on why Burch was allowed to return to voice Aloy in the upcoming horizon dlc but not chloe, unless Sony came to some agreement with the union while Square didn't care about recasting

Sony isn't struck and neither is Square, but Blindlight (the studio that handled VO production for both Horizon and LiS) is. Presumably Sony was willing and able to break with Blindlight in a way that Square was not.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Edit: didn't refresh. VA strike, I see

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I decided to replay Life is Strange episode 1 to 5 before starting Before the Storm. I just got the wind steamrolled out of my chest for the second time.

I didn't think it would hit me that hard knowing what happens: Foals ending.

Motherfuckers. LiS was so perfect.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I have no idea what youre talking about but that gives me a push to go ahead and replay

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe he's referring to the Sacrifice Chloe ending where the main theme of the game (Spanish Sahara by Foals) plays. Based on how often it played during the trailers I'm guessing this game's equivalent is Numbers by Daughter.

Thinking about it, this series kind of hates the concept of happy endings and seems to go out of its way to punish its cast (and I'm going to guess the sequel won't be much different in that regard).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 6, 2017

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The other ending is the superior ending. :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

Thinking about it, this series kind of hates the concept of happy endings and seems to go out of its way to punish its cast (and I'm going to guess the sequel won't be much different in that regard).

I hope so.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

The other ending is the superior ending. :colbert:

True enough, and that's the one I picked during my playthrough. Point is, there really is no objectively "good" ending to Life is Strange (and to be honest I don't really mind all that much).

You either let your best friend die at her weakest moment, undoing all the development made over the game (which also implies that if Max just did nothing at the start of the game all of the problems they encountered would have just resolved themselves. Meaning that in a way, she's kind of the bad guy here despite her best intentions) or you let your hometown be wiped out by a tornado for the sake of said friend.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 6, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
life is strange is about the intense friendships of youth, growing up and drifting apart

its tough to let things go, but the experiences still happened and u'll always have a connection no matter how far apart u drift in time & space~

kill chloe is the only ending

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Larryb posted:

True enough, and that's the one I picked during my playthrough...

Spoiler that poo poo buddy! I know its a couple of years old but its still probably the best (and most emotionally devastating) end to any game I have ever played. Its never too late to reduce more grown men to tears.

(I admit, I cried but only a little)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I posted in the OP that people can talk opening about LiS spoilers. If someone is reading this thread and didn't want to be spoiled then they hosed up pretty bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

Spoiler that poo poo buddy! I know its a couple of years old but its still probably the best (and most emotionally devastating) end to any game I have ever played. Its never too late to reduce more grown men to tears.

(I admit, I cried but only a little)

Fair enough, and unless they include an alternate ending in the final episode that breaks from the established canon there's pretty much no way Before the Storm can end in anything besides misery as well.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll be jumping ahead in time a bit at some point seeing as we only have 3 main episodes to work with and there hasn't been much in the way of an ongoing plot introduced so far aside from Rachel's family issues and possible wind powers, both of which aren't brought up until the very end of the first episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 6, 2017

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

True, unless we do a time jump at some point or something (how long had Rachel been missing for by the time of the first game again?). Still though, there's got to be some kind of plot they can come up with to fill the remaining two episodes.

They're at least probably going to have to explain away some of the original characters they made for the game though (which aren't too bad to be honest, I'm not sure what the point of giving Chloe her own Warren was though).

This one is unfortunately obvious First game said the last people to stand up to the Vortex (rich kid VC) got hosed over pretty hard one of them is doing something easily expelled over the other one probably won't be here if he can't cover the tuition costs which since his dad lost his job well....., Sam worries me though since Nathan is already into weird stuff and I could see Nathan loving up in some way causing his dad to hire Jefferson so he has like a leash.

Speaking of that anyone want to bet neither Jefferson or Nathan spends any significant time in prison?

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

life is strange is about the intense friendships of youth, growing up and drifting apart

its tough to let things go, but the experiences still happened and u'll always have a connection no matter how far apart u drift in time & space~

kill chloe is the only ending

This doesn't really work when some of those experiences are horribly traumatic and technically happen anymore :colbert: Wow both endings to the first game are reeeeeeally dark
But on a less jokey note I really want the Max episode to flesh this out how she started drifting away. In Life is Strange Max has a I forget what it's called like an ICB file or something the thing for students with like disabilities or hosed up home situations. Since it doesn't note any learning disabilities in her file it's probably something else probably really bad anxiety Max has all the signs ever for that

I honestly the games focusing on the Prices makes Max's family kind of a mystery. How close were their parents? I mean Max was over the at the Price household a lot and to the point where she sees Joyce and William as another Mom and Dad doesn't mean they're friends but there's some familiarity there. I mean Max's mom is how Joyce knows Max is back in Arcadia Bay.Leaving the day William died is suspicious as hell Papa Caulfield What weird Illuminati poo poo did him in, why are you running :tinfoil:
Also explain the symbols ,game. Chaos theory ain't going to work for the 3rd game and those symbols are everywhere.....how deep does it go *X files theme* also why do we not have an Illuminati smiley that would've fit way better :(

I'm wondering if the powers come from intense emotion Rachel get's her weird wind powers during her breakdown about her father, Max gets hers when she tries to reach out and stop Nathan from shooting Chloe and then gets the ability to freeze time when she's saving Kate, and after her and Chloe have an argument she figures out her photo hopping powers. Chloe also has that dream with a future Max she can't possibly know how she looks hanging from a tree after her freakout in the junkyard..... on that note please really hoping Max doesn't hang herself that'd be hosed up :ohdear:. If the butterfly is Chloe and the doe is Rachel and if Max's ends up being a blue jay something really weird is going on well weirder.

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, and unless they include an alternate ending in the final episode that breaks from the established canon there's pretty much no way Before the Storm can end in anything besides misery as well.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll be jumping ahead in time a bit at some point seeing as we only have 3 main episodes to work with and there hasn't been much in the way of an ongoing plot introduced so far aside from Rachel's family issues and possible wind powers, both of which aren't brought up until the very end of the first episode.
There are alternate endings for what we don't know. But Rachel's dad getting blackmailed explains Chloe getting basically blown off by Rachel's parents, he is arguing with someone at the end. Which brings me back to no way Nathan is doing serious time if the Prescott's are as influential as they're supposed to be (some examples are the quickly wrapped up investigation into Rachel going missing and the fact that Rachel in the dark room being written over and over doesn't immediately get Nathan sent to a cop). Hell in real life just being the team sport star can turn a rape charge into 6 months and probation and Ted Kennedy beat an obvious manslaughter charge pretty easily and he wasn't mentally unstable kid with an older creepy art guy you can use for a scapegoat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You guys should just talk about the first game without spoiler tags, because it makes anyone who has played the first game but not this chapter unsure what to click on.

Anyone who hasn't played that first game just shouldn't be here. We're not on page one anymore.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm a big proponent of the interpretation that the reason Max had the powers was so she could spend one last meaningful week reconnecting to her childhood friend before her death. :unsmith:

I almost wish there was no choice because it really is the only proper ending. They were building up to it from ep1 with that butterfly, it's the ending they fleshed out and Chloe herself actively pushes you to do it. It's neat that the game inspired such strong feelings for Max and Chloe in players and made them want to say "gently caress fate and defy destiny for love" (probably the only reason the devs even included another option), but it's bonkers to try and justify sacrificing the Bay (including Chloe's poor mother).

Like the people who edited some happy little epilogue of these teens living happily ever after in Cali or whatever with photos of all their adventures, but not at all addressing the hundreds (thousands?) of people they left behind to die, or like a headstone or a photo of Chloe's dead mum. It's ridiculous cognitive dissonance and compartmentalization, even if it's driven by some beautiful sentiment.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 6, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
don't really need one big explanation as to why Max & Chloe's friendship began falling off

life happens, things get busy and u forget to keep in touch even if when u want to

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Arcadia Bay is trash and deserves the tornado

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Chloe sucks but I dig her gay crush on rachel even though I don't really get her appeal

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I updated the OP but please do not use spoiler tags for the original Life is Strange. Its 2 years old and no one in this thread should be unaware of what happens in the first game. It's just annoying and unnecessary.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is kind of weird in retrospect that we don't really explore much of Max's personal life in the original game. Hell, I don't think her parents were ever named outside of supplementary material and/or maybe an entry in Max's diary (Ryan and Vanessa if you were curious), though then again her family is out in Seattle the whole time so I guess that'd be kind of hard. Even in the first game, Chloe is basically the main driving force in the plot (which is one of the reasons why she makes for a more interesting protagonist overall).

Though I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing any of the fallout from Life is Strange's endgame getting addressed in the sequel as based on comments from the developers we're pretty much guaranteed a new cast and setting with slim to no chance of any characters from the first game popping up in any meaningful fashion. Also, I'm pretty sure DontNod wants to intentionally leave things open-ended rather than explicitly declare which ending is the "canon" one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 6, 2017

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

It is kind of weird in retrospect that we don't really explore much of Max's personal life in the original game. Hell, I don't think her parents were ever named outside of supplementary material and/or maybe an entry in Max's diary (Ryan and Vanessa if you were curious), though then again her family is out in Seattle the whole time so I guess that'd be kind of hard. Even in the first game, Chloe is basically the main driving force in the plot (which is one of the reasons why she makes for a more interesting protagonist overall).

Though I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing any of the fallout from Life is Strange's endgame getting addressed in the sequel as based on comments from the developers we're pretty much guaranteed a new cast and setting with slim to no chance of any characters from the first game popping up in any meaningful fashion. Also, I'm pretty sure DontNod wants to intentionally leave things open-ended rather than explicitly declare which ending is the "canon" one.

They kind of have to or you get a telletale the walking dead thing where you have like 4 different endings and none of them matter because everyone has to be on the same starting page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirKibbles posted:

They kind of have to or you get a telletale the walking dead thing where you have like 4 different endings and none of them matter because everyone has to be on the same starting page.
Not really, since they've explicitly stated that it's starting over with a new cast in a new setting. I think someone suggested that the most we'd see would be a photo by Max on a website/in a magazine as a reference, since she's guaranteed to survive both endings.

Although this does give me the excuse to share this:

• Locked thread