Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You know what?

I refuse to make such a terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slightly more information regarding the book I posted about earlier as well as a release date:

https://www.dualshockers.com/welcome-to-blackwell-academy/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 2, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, did anyone happen to pick up the art book that came with the physical version of BtS? If so, is there anything particularly interesting in there?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wonder if that guide to Blackwell will contain any easter eggs related to Chris' mom.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Her time at Blackwell predates Chloe but it's possible. Speaking of Chris, I'm actually kind of curious how LiS 2 is going to handle him. We know now that Captain Spirit actually takes place some time after or during Episode 1 considering LiS 2 begins around Halloween, in Captain Spirit Chris talks to his dad about getting a Christmas tree. Also the brothers come from Seattle but are currently in Oregon at the time and Daniel saves Chris with his powers (and it is specifically Daniel who has them as he was the only one still standing at the end of the gameplay video, even Sean seemed to have been temporally knocked out by it).

The question is, will he wind up being a one-shot character that's never heard from again after the boys move on to somewhere else or will he actually have a somewhat major role in the plot? I assume the latter since there's a lot of stuff regarding his family set up in Captain Spirit that would be kind of weird to just gloss over, not to mention the fact that he got his own game to begin with. It's possible he could end up running away or something and wind up joining Sean and Daniel on their journey.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 2, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Also, did anyone happen to pick up the art book that came with the physical version of BtS? If so, is there anything particularly interesting in there?

It's nice, but there's nothing that's particularly notable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Viridiant posted:

I wonder if that guide to Blackwell will contain any easter eggs related to Chris' mom.

Also the 100% canonical and factually accurate dating sim VN.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's nice, but there's nothing that's particularly notable.

Oh ok, I was just curious if there was anything there that didn't wind up making it into the game like unused locations, scrapped character designs, etc.

On another note, messing around in Captain Spirit a bit I notiiced you can actually see the house where Sean and Daniel are staying at the time beyond the fence in Chris' yard. There's Christmas decorations up and the two are wearing distinctly different clothes than they are in the trailer/gameplay video.

This seems to imply that at whatever point in LiS 2 Captain Spirit actually takes place around the boys are currently staying with someone who happens to live next door to Chris (possibly Mrs. Reynolds), I'm assuming at some point then we're going to be reliving the ending to Captain Spirit from Sean and Daniel's perspective (or, if you don't have save data from that game, perhaps they'll wind up meeting Chris another way). That should be interesting at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slightly more detailed information on how your choices will impact Life is Strange 2:

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/2456967/how-life-is-strange-2-is-changing-the-way-player-choice-impacts-the-game

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 9, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I finally played through Captain Spirit in anticipation and triggered the ending way too early. I didn’t know anything about it except Hawt Dawg Man so even though it was an obvious trigger in retrospect I didn’t know it was coming. Oh well, I’ll play it again before LiS2 comes out since choices carry over. It definitely got me excited for the game because the storytelling is just great. I was going to play it with my daughter, who is 6 because it looked fun but I’m glad I decided to check it out first since it isn’t the innocent romp it seemed like it would be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rio posted:

I was going to play it with my daughter, who is 6 because it looked fun but I’m glad I decided to check it out first since it isn’t the innocent romp it seemed like it would be.

To be fair, this is Life is Strange. You shouldn't really be expecting that to begin with (though then again it also isn't quite as much of a Misery Simulator as the last two games were).

Also, like it's counterpart did a while back BtS will be getting a mobile release on the 19th. No idea if there's going to be any new features though.

Based on what the original LiS got for its mobile release it might be cool if it let you swap models to some of Chloe's outfits that you could normally only wear once (like the Ariel costume or her jacket from the beginning of the game). Hell, maybe even throw in the young Max/Chloe models if only for how awkward that would make certain scenes in BtS proper. Since the collectable gimmick is graffiti some kind of Free Draw mode could be nice as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DontNod will be releasing a short documentary this Thursday explaining a bit about the development process behind LiS 2.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1039544292262506496?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I know everyone is talking about LiS 2 but I just want to talk about the blue bird being trapped in the Price house going back and forth until you open a window is a good metaphor for Max's powers (And probably tells you Max's spirit animal since the blue jay motif is the only one all 3 girl share that doesn't have a person attached to it) Plus Max is the only one who plays music and I was super disappointed Max never sang at any point given Hannah Telle.

Also that crow is not William (respected but never trusted) and is probably going to pop up again given that anthology that are character driven need a central antagonist or group...soooo just as easily could be the government or some weird illuminati thing now that I think about it this theory has some leaps.

As far as LiS 2 goes I have somehow dodged spoilers which did not go well during BtS. Unlike most people I like the supernatural stuff but they do have to ramp things up slowly or it well be bootleg Xmen.

Larryb posted:

DontNod will be releasing a short documentary this Thursday explaining a bit about the development process behind LiS 2.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1039544292262506496?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I really hope they do this better than TWD did never have I went from loving something to groaning as fast as TWD Season 2 and 3 made me do

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 12, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The spirit animals in Life is Strange don't have a direct 1:1 correlation to characters in the game, which is something I think many people assume. Spirit animals are more like "the thing that tells you where you need to go" and while they are at times representative of certain characters, they aren't the direct embodiment of them.

The crow is Deck Nine's thing, not Dontnod's, and up to this point they've kind of existed as their own separate creative entities. D9 is currently hiring for "a AAA narrative adventure game" so perhaps that means they'll continue to do more Arcadia Bay stuff while Dontnod effectively does the LiS anthology series.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

The spirit animals in Life is Strange don't have a direct 1:1 correlation to characters in the game, which is something I think many people assume. Spirit animals are more like "the thing that tells you where you need to go" and while they are at times representative of certain characters, they aren't the direct embodiment of them.

Yeah obviously at least until they die then it's a lot more direct

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The crow is Deck Nine's thing, not Dontnod's, and up to this point they've kind of existed as their own separate creative entities. D9 is currently hiring for "a AAA narrative adventure game" so perhaps that means they'll continue to do more Arcadia Bay stuff while Dontnod effectively does the LiS anthology series.

Didn't the devs explicitly confirm that the doe was indeed Rachel a while back though? Also unlike the other Spirit animals we see the doe is pretty clearly a ghost (it's transparent and doesn't show up on film).

I still choose to believe that the raven is William though (and that the butterfly in the first game is Chloe, mostly due to it's appearance in the Sacrifice Chloe ending), it constantly shows up with him in Chloe's dreams and appears to guide/observe her in the real world a few times as well. Plus, what little we see of William shows he had kind of a mischievous, fun loving personality (Chloe is basically just a female version of him with a bit of her mom's take-no-poo poo attitude thrown in as well) so him coming back as a creature commonly known as a trickster in folklore makes sense.

Also, DontNod did approve all the story points in BtS and Square owns the full rights to the series so the game is about as canon as it can be. Whether or not it'll actually get referenced in a future DontNod produced title is another matter though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 12, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If I remember correctly it was basically a statement that the doe "represented Rachel" and people kind of construed that to mean whatever they wanted. IMO i don't think they meant that the deer was literally rachel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

If I remember correctly it was basically a statement that the doe "represented Rachel" and people kind of construed that to mean whatever they wanted. IMO i don't think they meant that the deer was literally rachel.

The final scene at the junkyard when they discover her body seems to heavily imply that the doe was Rachel (also, like I mentioned, it's the only Spirit animal we've seen in this series that's literally a ghost). But fair, it's also possible that they're just meant to represent said characters rather than literally being those characters reincarnated in animal form.

Both interpretations seem equally valid to me, though in the literal interpretation while I can see how William is the raven (as I said, he had kind of a mischievous personality) and Chloe is the butterfly (beautiful yet fragile, also the whole Chaos Butterfly angle) I'm still not entirely sure what Rachel has to do with deer unless there's some folklore about them that I'm not aware of.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 12, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GMG currently has a 25% off preorder for Life is Strange 2 deal on Steam, which is probably the cheapest you're going to find it prior to release.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's been brought up before but one aspect of LiS 2 I'm worried about is that if the boys are constantly moving from place to place that might mean a distinct lack of reoccurring side characters. For example, I kind of like Sean's friend Lyla from what we've seen but the question becomes will we ever see her again outside of maybe some text messages once we're out of Seattle. We also know that Chris is coming back but it's not clear yet in what capacity (I imagine he's going to be of some importance seeing as he got his own game and it still seems like there's some aspects of his life and family that would be worth exploring in more detail). Maybe he and Daniel can be superhero buddies or something.

A nice part of the previous two games was interacting with the students around Blackwell as well as the other townsfolk as the game went on (some even having their own little mini-arcs that get resolved as the story progresses) but with the way Season 2 seems to be set up it's possible we might lose that aspect, which would be kind of a shame to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 13, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also here's the documentary I mentioned a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1040261326835273730?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I appreciate them casting an actual child to play Daniel (I think the same was true of Chris as well). Has the guy playing Sean done anything noteworthy before this? He sounds kind of famillar to me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 13, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

I appreciate them casting an actual child to play Daniel (I think the same was true of Chris as well). Has the guy playing Sean done anything noteworthy before this? He sounds kind of famillar to me.

Why?

Adult actors are much better actors, and they will be able to keep doing the voice for years to come if this is necessary. The adult actress who plays Clementine in the Walking Dead games played her at the ages of 8, 11, 14, and now 17 in the latest season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why?

Adult actors are much better actors, and they will be able to keep doing the voice for years to come if this is necessary. The adult actress who plays Clementine in the Walking Dead games played her at the ages of 8, 11, 14, and now 17 in the latest season.

Authenticity mostly but fair point. As you alluded to, there's also the risk of the kid hitting puberty before the game is finished depending on how old he is, which is generally the reason why most long running series use adult women for child roles if they don't plan on aging up the character. But I've heard worse child actors at any rate.

Then again, there's evidence that LiS 2 will take place over a longer period of time than its predecessors (Daniel makes mention in one scene that they've been walking for 4 days and the events of Captain Spirit happen at least a month or two after the main game starts) so it's possible the developers have already factored that in.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 13, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Games like Life is Strange and Night in the Woods have begun to make me feel super sentimental around this time of year, due to them taking place/coming out around now. It can get a little weird emotionally because October is also the time of the year that I love to marathon scary movies and play scary games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I've always sort of considered Night in the Woods to be something of an unofficial side story in the LiS universe as there's a lot of similarities between the two. It's got complex characters, similar themes, supernatural elements, spirit guides, manages to be both goofy and depressing at the same time, some direct parallels between the Missing Rachel/Casey plotlines, Mae is basically Chloe if she had actual mental problems instead of abandonment issues (though Bea also has her abandonment issues, dead parental figure whom she was very close with, general intelligence, and faux-punk look), etc. Hell, I think it handles some of those themes even better than Life is Strange did.

There's also a theory I heard about the game that I kind of like: The people in Possum Springs aren't actually animals, Mae just sees everyone that way because of her disassociation (which is why they're all fairly simple designs comprised of basic shapes and why we see non-anthropomorphic animals running around as well, some even being kept as pets by the townsfolk).

NitW is actually another game I wouldn't mind seeing more of one day, or at the very least a similar game by the same developers. You wouldn't even necessarily have to bring everyone back either, just follow the Life is Strange 2 route and do a game set in the same universe but with a brand new cast.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 16, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, NitW is a game about Capitalism and the death of small town America, and while it does tackle these issues with a lot of personal stories between a small group of townspeople and a group of friends, it never really approaches the level of Life is Strange.

Life is Strange is explicitly about Max and Chloe
NitW is explicitly about Possum Springs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Gosh dang NITW is so dang good tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NITW is political theatre, LiS is melodrama. Similar settings and themes but very different applications of those ideas.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, NitW is a game about Capitalism and the death of small town America, and while it does tackle these issues with a lot of personal stories between a small group of townspeople and a group of friends, it never really approaches the level of Life is Strange.

Life is Strange is explicitly about Max and Chloe
NitW is explicitly about Possum Springs

Or troubled youths in general if you take the LiS series as a whole but fair point. Though another thing the two slightly have in common is that in both LiS and a little bit in BtS we see evidence that the town is a corrupt shithole that's slowly dying after its main source of income (mining/fishing) dried up, it's just not the main focus like it is in NitW.

I wouldn't be surprised if the developers of Night in the Woods took some inspiration from said game though (also in Farewell Chloe is wearing a shirt with a design that looks a bit like Mae wearing pirate gear, not sure if it was an intentional nod or just a coincidence). Regardless I still wouldn't mind a NitW sequel or a similar game by the same developers one day.

Speaking of which, if you haven't already I'd highly reccomend playing the Lost Constellation subgame. It's not as long or in depth as Night in the Woods is but it's a decent experience and serves as a nice little prequel to the main game (it also feels more like a complete game than it's companion title Longest Night does at any rate). Both games also get directly referenced in NitW proper.

Edit: Looks like the new spirit animal in LiS 2 is going to be a wolf

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1041718431727452160?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 17, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Before the Storm is now available on IOS and Android. Not sure if there are any additional features though (for example, the port of the original added a Photo Mode and the ability to cycle through Max's various outfits on the fly).

The official Twitter says we'll be getting a new LiS 2 trailer tomorrow as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange 2 launch trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OHB7gyRV69Q

So are they just not giving the episodes names this time around? I'm not sure about the original but I'm pretty sure we knew BtS Episode 1 was called Awake long before it's release. That aside, the game looks good so far.

At the moment I'm pretty sure Beard Guy (the grey shirted one) is going to be our new antagonist for this game (or one of them anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 20, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

They certainly have chances to subvert my expectations for this game.

I want to be wowed, over here.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am cautiously hopeful, which is way higher than what I was going into BTS, which I would describe as Cautiously Lukewarm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's been a great three years but I am ready to move on from Arcadia Bay and embrace Life is Strange 2: Bros Before Lesbos.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, I like most of the new characters we've met so far and the story looks interesting but I'm just worried that the new format is going to cause it to lose some of the charm of the original (not to mention the difficulty in maintaining a consistent supporting cast when your protagonists are constantly on the move).

But then again if the past is any indication it's kind of hard to judge the overall quality of a LiS game based soley on the first episode. But yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this so far.

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange 2: Bros Before Lesbos.

New thread title.

Other suggestions:

Life is Strange 2: Fury Road
Life is Strange 2: How To Train Your Brother
Life is Strange 2: On Stranger Lives
They called the fourth Life is Strange game "Life is Strange 2"

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 20, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Deck Nine is working with Square-Enix on another project.

Life is Frank? Days of Amber? Something totally different?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While it's possible that it could be a completely unrelated project I actually wouldn't mind seeing another Deck Nine entry in the franchise.

Frank or Rachel are probably the most likely possibilities in regards to being protagonists but there are other options as well, such as a game about Steph (who widely seems to be regarded as a fan favorite), something exploring Victoria in a bit more depth (DontNod already made a fully playable model for her that shows up for about a minute or two in the original game, might as well get some more use out of it), or a companion piece to BtS about Max's Seattle days (though I don't think she could quite carry an entire game on her own and would probably need some sort of new partner to bounce off of).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't care about Victoria at all, and I don't think we really need Max's Seattle adventure. If they're going to do another LiS1 spinoff, I want it to be that missing period of time we still haven't seen where Rachel gets with Frank.

Though ideally they won't do an after credits thing like they did for BtS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, though the problem with a Rachel game is that you'd have to set it in a very short period of time so as not to have the experience end with the protagonist being murdered on camera. But yeah, exploring her and Frank's relationship in a bit more depth would be interesting (I also hope Kylie Brown would be allowed to reprise her role as opposed to being replaced by a more "professional" actress).

That aside I still think a Steph-focused game could be decent if done right (basically taking the D&D segments from BtS and making a game about them, interspersed with dealing with her own personal life in between). Point is, I liked some of the characters BtS introduced and don't want them to just get swept under the rug now that all is said and done.

Also, while Chloe is one of my favorite characters in this franchise and I'm a massive apologist for her, her story has pretty much been fully told at this point (she already got her own game in BtS and is arguably as much of a main character in the original as Max is if not more so). I think if she were to show up again it should be as a side character at best.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 21, 2018

• Locked thread