Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Who is Vox Day?

A right wing idiot and bad Science Fiction writer. After he managed to get nearly the whole Science Fiction community take up torches and pitchforks against him with his poo poo trying to ruin the Hugos and the SFWA in a personal vendetta, he pissed off to comics, thinking he has an easier time there, since the right-wing fans are more numerous and all this bigot "anti-SJW" poo poo actually has some traction there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

When and where did this become an emoticon because I love it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The girls family was just waiting at ICE for some reason

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

The girls family was just waiting at ICE for some reason

Becquse all kidnappers are undocumented immigrants.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think you mean mega rapists, rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I think you mean mega rapists, rhyno.

Wait, there's a difference?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/913764928078667777

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Anyone here read Atomic Robo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

Anyone here read Atomic Robo?

I read the first few trades, it's a lot of fun. I think one of the creators was/is a goon and would post about it occasionally.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One persona here wrote it, so I should hope so!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Teenage Fansub posted:

One persona here wrote it, so I should hope so!

It was forum member, Hyperactive, according to the old thread. He had a Doctor Doom avatar. I might make a new Atomic Robo thread. Been planning on picking up the 3-in-1 omnibus for it.

Anyone here play roleplaying games? Because Atomic Robo also has one of the better adaptions to tabletop roleplaying games. I mean, sure, it uses FATE Core, but changes a lot in a solid way.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hyperactive also did that super long running final fantasy sprite comic, can't remember the name

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scaramouche posted:

Hyperactive also did that super long running final fantasy sprite comic, can't remember the name

8-bit theater.

He also wrote Marvel Adventures' version of The Infinity Gauntlet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zoro posted:

It was forum member, Hyperactive, according to the old thread. He had a Doctor Doom avatar. I might make a new Atomic Robo thread. Been planning on picking up the 3-in-1 omnibus for it.

Anyone here play roleplaying games? Because Atomic Robo also has one of the better adaptions to tabletop roleplaying games. I mean, sure, it uses FATE Core, but changes a lot in a solid way.

Forum member Inkslinger helped make the DC Universe Adventures book. Starting my first campaign in a week or two when our gaming table is finished.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm trying to clear up some shelf space. Can anyone tell me if any of this stuff is worth trying to sell on its own, or should I just dump the whole lot at Half-Price Books?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
A belated wish of an easy fast for all Jewish goons. An even more belated happy rosh hashanah. Ben Grimm agrees with all that too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoro posted:

The Atomic Robo version is actually what I'd recommend to anyone looking to run/learn FATE, honestly. It's basically designed to be pick up and play. I ran one session where I literally had the idea of "Robo has an HR meeting with some misfit employees and then Dr Dinosaur invades the island" and just improv'ed from there, and it was a great time. I had nothing else specifically prepped and it worked out great because the system is basically designed to organically build set-pieces.

(The other side of the coin is the Dresden Files RPG, which also uses FATE, but has such complex rules for spellcasting and magical abilities that I'd be terrified to even make a character for it, let alone run a session. The only system I have that I'm less prepared to run is probably Shadowrun 5e, where I feel like I need an Excel page open for character gen.)

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Gaz-L posted:

The Atomic Robo version is actually what I'd recommend to anyone looking to run/learn FATE, honestly. It's basically designed to be pick up and play. I ran one session where I literally had the idea of "Robo has an HR meeting with some misfit employees and then Dr Dinosaur invades the island" and just improv'ed from there, and it was a great time. I had nothing else specifically prepped and it worked out great because the system is basically designed to organically build set-pieces.

(The other side of the coin is the Dresden Files RPG, which also uses FATE, but has such complex rules for spellcasting and magical abilities that I'd be terrified to even make a character for it, let alone run a session. The only system I have that I'm less prepared to run is probably Shadowrun 5e, where I feel like I need an Excel page open for character gen.)

Definitely, I feel that the atomic Robo RPG does a lot make it very good for new players. My favorite feature is that it explains mechanics by using annotated comic strips from the actual series. That really drives home on how the mechanics are supposed to be used to mimic the events in the comics. I'm really surprised comic book role playing games don't do that more often. Imagine if Marvel Heroic roleplaying did that to explain it's somewhat confusing solo, Buddy, Team system. Though, that might just be confusing to me because I can't get my players to get their head around the idea of splitting up because, you know, Dungeons & Dragons.

And, now I want to play Atomic Robo the RPG. It's one of the most game-able of all comic book universes.

Also, and you probably know this, but there are much heavier rules systems out there than Shadowrun 5e. The most ridiculous in my mind, of playable games, is Champions. Champions is a superhero role playing it that takes an overtly simulationist design that borders on insane. It's so detailed that you can literally shoot a bullet through it and the bullet will not go through the entire book: they tested this and it's true.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, you just reminded me of the older Marvel RPG that they self-published, with the gem-stone resource system instead of dice. I still have my core books for that from when I was like 16, and every time I open the main book, I get to one part of the combat rules and I swear to god they skipped a bit, because there's a super-obvious question regarding how defence works that I always ask, and I ALWAYS end up finding isn't in the book and has never really been answered.

Also, I'm sure there are worse systems than Shadowrun, but my group of players took a ton of cajoling to let me even run Starfinder or Fantasy Flight Star Wars, despite both of those being super easy (other than Starfinder having inherited a fair chunk of Paizo bloat compared to, say, D&D 5e or even Star Wars, considering how FF basically decided that the easiest way to model ship combat was "like person-to-person combat, but with bigger guns", but then Paizo have this whole convoluted thing which basically demands you use a hex mat)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A few years ago I posted in BSS about this project I was starting, making boxes (like magazine files) so I could put single-issue collections onto my bookshelf. They were made with cardboard and colored duct tape. Took too much effort to make than I cared for, and after a few years, and a few apartment moves, they've all started to fall apart. When I got my first 3D printer at the beginning of the year, I saw an opportunity to get back into this. This last month I finally got around to it, and today I just published my model.

Originally, I was going to do the same thing I was doing with cardboard, and make magazine file type boxes. I was uncomfortable with the cost, though. The one you see in this picture, in the center, that took about 180g of plastic. It comes in rolls of 1KG, so I estimate each one would cost around $5. Considering I need to make over 50 of these, and some would be much larger, I was looking at over $300 worth of plastic. I wanted to do better.

Well, these are going inbetween books on the bookshelf, so I realized I didn't need an entire box. All that is missing is the book's spine. That is what led me to what I call the Comic Backstrip.

Source and more pictures here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2559816

There's a script that will create a model of the backstrip at the width that you determine. It includes a small slot to slide labels into.

I've already got a couple of them on my bookshelf, and I think they look a lot better than the duct taped cardboard boxes I was using before.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AlmightyBob posted:

Vox Day is currently getting stampeded on twitter because he's insulting Jack Kirby after everyone pointed out Kirby would kick Vox's nazi rear end

Late to the party, but he first claimed that if he were alive today, Kirby would be drawing his comic because Ese Jay Dubs DC and Marvel wouldn't want him. Then everyone pointed out Kirby was a jewish man who fought Nazis in WWII and beyond and he would break his jaw just for suggesting that. Then he started the "Totally not mad" poo poo talking.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm trying to clear up some shelf space. Can anyone tell me if any of this stuff is worth trying to sell on its own, or should I just dump the whole lot at Half-Price Books?

Seems like Half-Price Books, then?

Also, dude who 3D printed the comic holders with labels, those look really attractive! I don't do floppies, but I'd want a similar solution if I did.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, dude who 3D printed the comic holders with labels, those look really attractive! I don't do floppies, but I'd want a similar solution if I did.

I always just do a quick scan of Amazon and eBay to get an idea of what stuuff is selling for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This monstrosity exists. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't know what half price books will pay, but kijiji or craigslist are generally pretty good bets to get a bit more cash than selling to a retailer who needs to mark the books up.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Gaz-L posted:

Heh, you just reminded me of the older Marvel RPG that they self-published, with the gem-stone resource system instead of dice. I still have my core books for that from when I was like 16, and every time I open the main book, I get to one part of the combat rules and I swear to god they skipped a bit, because there's a super-obvious question regarding how defence works that I always ask, and I ALWAYS end up finding isn't in the book and has never really been answered.

This is the only Marvel RPG I know:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

joehonkie posted:

Wow. Huge nostalgia hit.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

joehonkie posted:

FAESRIP? Well, I never did play that one. I know there is a retroclone (when people take advantage of 3.0 D&D making its legal text on duplications TOO LOOSE to remake old games legally) of it floating around on Drivethrurpg called Faserip. A lot of people swear by it, but a lot of that has to do with the OSR existing and vaunting how "games were better in my day."

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Zoro posted:

Also, and you probably know this, but there are much heavier rules systems out there than Shadowrun 5e. The most ridiculous in my mind, of playable games, is Champions. Champions is a superhero role playing it that takes an overtly simulationist design that borders on insane. It's so detailed that you can literally shoot a bullet through it and the bullet will not go through the entire book: they tested this and it's true.

With the exception of the one about 'Nam, all those Palladium books were hosed, RIFTS being the absolute pinnacle of bat poo poo insane.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know what half price books will pay, but kijiji or craigslist are generally pretty good bets to get a bit more cash than selling to a retailer who needs to mark the books up.

I should have gone Craigslist for some of them probably, but since the baby came, the thought of having to track that and arrange payments and meet ups just seems like too much.

I got around $40 for all that stuff, but it also included like 10 PS3 games and they don't itemize it, so it's not clear what sold for what.

So yeah, they don't pay that well. They often have great stuff, though. I ended up picking up:

1. The Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka--is other manga like this? I feel like I opened up some horrible draining money void now, because this was really interesting and weird and when I think of manga, I think of fantasy stuff and all the anime tropes. I guess this work was from the early 70s, but I liked it a lot.
2. Bughouse by Steve Lafler
3. SSHHHH! by Jason
4. first trade of Morrison's Animal Man
5. Tomorrow Stories Book 1 and Book 2 by Alan Moore
6. The Superman / Madman Hullabaloo by Mike Allred
7. Cheap Novelties: the Pleasures of Urban Decay by Ben Katchor (I think this is the last book of his I didn't have)

They also had like a dozen of the IDW G.I. Joe Classic reprint trades, but they were priced ridiculously. The first one was $40.00 because someone wrote OOP on it, I guess, and a bunch of the other ones were also $40. I really want to read Hama's stuff but that's just too pricey--there was a guy on eBay I bought the first 5 from for $50, but he never shipped them so I had to get a refund.

Also also, there were the first three Justice League International trades--the first was $6.99, but the other two were both $25, again, because I guess they're OOP. It looks like there's an Omnibus coming out very soon, though--the series looked pretty lighthearted and fun, and my wife loves Martian Manhunter--does JLI come pretty well recommended? I feel like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle get a lot of love around these parts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

1. The Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka--is other manga like this? I feel like I opened up some horrible draining money void now, because this was really interesting and weird and when I think of manga, I think of fantasy stuff and all the anime tropes. I guess this work was from the early 70s, but I liked it a lot.

Manga is very diverse, moreso than American comics. I don't know about The Book of Human Insects, but I can tell you that you didn't find the only manga that isn't fantasy or highschool action comedy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We have our own thread for distinct mangas with a lot of good reccomendations. Not all of them are bangers, but there's a lot of great stuff there.

The first few pages are like I Am A Hero General Thread but there's more stuff after that.

edit: And since it's pretty much October already, I'm going to make the obligatory Junji Ito suggestion.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 30, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/914144470941290496

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

I don't think Chuck Dixon exists. I think he's doing that seeding thing where you throw money at your own crowdfunding to make people less cautious to spend money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't give them more attention you dweebs.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Don't give them more attention you dweebs.

Instead of obsessing on alt-right poo poo heads trying to make a crap comic, focus on either the actual harrashment campaigns being done against minority creators and try to make a difference...or just focus on something else like a comic you like. Lurdiak is right in that, in this one instance, it's better not to give them attention. I, normally, think that's a bad idea as scum can fester and grow if you don't clean it away...,but, with a bad comic, it can just die of low sales. Giving attention to the fact he has a fundraising campaign and including where to find it just helps him. It's like that joke on the Chapelle show where the crackhead tells the kids in gruesome detail how to buy crack when trying to get them not to buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone will probably try to call me out for saying so but Chuck Dixon is a known piece of poo poo. I'm not even gonna offer up an anecdote, he's a rotten human being and I no longer own a single thing he's written.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Someone will probably try to call me out for saying so but Chuck Dixon is a known piece of poo poo. I'm not even gonna offer up an anecdote, he's a rotten human being and I no longer own a single thing he's written.

Oh, this is a real person? And a writer too? What has he written? I thought that name was an obvious fake since it sounds so...sterotypically southern.

Well, he wrought a graphic novel adaptation of Clinton Cash in 2016 so this is not surprising. He was literally writing pro-Trump propaganda during the election. Still a piece of poo poo, of course.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why assume that there's a large portion of people who follow a dirty sjw who rips on Nazi comic book people that are also just dying to buy a Nazi produced comic if only they are shown it's available

E: clarity?

site fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

site posted:

Why assume that there's a large portion of people who follow a dirty sjw who rips on Nazi comic book people that are also just dying to buy a Nazi produced comic if only they are shown it's available

E: clarity?

Maybe not large, but I wouldn't shocked if there were people who followed just to poo poo on them whenever they posted. I've had that happen to me a few times for speaking out. But, overall, I do see your point, somewhat. More so now that I know y'all were pointing out a guy who wrote for DC was donating money. That does, indeed, change things.

• Locked thread