Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Strikeforce are the preeminent superhero team. After an upswing in super-crime, they put out the call that they're going to grow their ranks to combat this unprecedented amount of violence in the city. They are fully deputized crime-fighters, and that sure beats going it alone: sanction, liability and health insurance!

Strikeforce are located in the city's most beautiful and high-tech Mansion, known to everyone as Strikeforce Mansion. Within is the world's most advanced AI, named DELPHINE. inside a nearby clearing is the hanger for the Strikeforce's fan-in-wing, high-speed VTOL plane, where each of you are dropped off.

You've put in your application and you've gotten the nod! Today at noon is when you come down to demonstrate your powers and be interviewed by Vanguard, the leader. She is an imposing, taciturn figure with super-speed and vast strength. The other members are household names, too and no slouches, but I'm sure you know all of them right?.

Up until now, super-crime has been the occurrence of one-off villains, but this new upswing in violence is being attributed to a possible loose confederation of criminals with a constantly changing membership. They have been all but impossible to track down (as a "group"), and for those who have been captured, their successful prosecution has been elusive (released on technicalities, very low sentences, or outright escape).

Today's your day to make a difference!

--------

A bit bare bones and generic, I know, but thats what Apocolypse World games are all about, taking the Skeleton and adding flesh on it as we go. :)

I'm looking for four-five players. All playbooks are allowed. HOWEVER, if you use Reformed or your character has a criminal background, then there is better be a darn good reason why Strikeforce has overlooked your past 'mistakes'.

No due date as of yet, but assume that Recruitment closes in a week.

Characters no younger than 16, though I'll make exceptions if the background is unique enough to over look it.

I hold the right to add requirements as circumstances dictates.

Questions can be fired off here or on IRC at Swampthings when I'm online (11:30-ish pm, EST). Feel free to drop me a line with any inquiries.

Good luck, and I look forward to the apps.

SKINer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Selene, the Bull!

Selene slams open the door to the interview room, accidentally using enough force to rip it off its hinges and send it skittering across the floor. After a brief, awkward moment looking between Vanguard and the now-broken door, she smiles broadly and says, "Hey, Miss Vanguard! It's been a while since you rescued us, huh? Well, look no further, because the Yue Sisters — yeah, yeah, we're gonna workshop that — are gonna blow you away! I made this cool costume and I found this big pick thingie and... And... Wait, where did my sis go?" She looks around, confused, before murmuring, "I swear she was right behind me... Well, she's tough! I bet she'll show up sooner or later."

quote:

• Who changed you?

"Hah! I like your style! Starting off with the ol' softball questions. I mean, wow, you could probably tell this whole story better than me, but here goes nothing!" Selene takes an exaggeratedly deep breath. "Well, you know that crazy space overlord that was making waves a while back? Did that whole 'Your puny Earth civilization belongs to me now!' bit and had those super-charged generals from all the other alien races he'd tangled with in the past? Yeah, I mean, obviously he didn't make as much headway with Earth as he'd figured he would. I mean, wow, we have some real awesome heroes protecting the place, you know? Well, the big guy, All-Dominator Kratach, Supreme Overlord of the Known Galaxy, Yadda Yadda Yadda, is a little sneakier than you'd think."

"He launched a bunch of feints all around the world, then came down to personally collect some 'specimens' for the 'Harbinger Protocol'... which is really just a fancy way of saying that he kidnapped a bus full of kids from camp, took us to his space ship, and then juiced us all up with a bunch of crazy cosmic power. I think he figured that since Earth was giving him so much trouble, he could kind of even the score by making some more of his brainwashed generals out of humans. Guess we'll never know, huh?"

"Anyways, me and my sis were the ones who took to the protocol thing the best. Some of the others didn't even change at all! And... well, you saw what happened to the unlucky ones. Yeesh. So, yeah, now I'm a menace to doors everywhere. I don't know how Sis does it..."

quote:

• How did you escape from them?

"Well, I mean, you guys showed up! The Strikeforce launched that surprise offensive, crippled Kratach's flagship, routed his fleet, and rescued all of the kids!"

"..."

"Or, you know, most of us."

"Uh, anyways, I really didn't see much of that part. The two of us were slotted into the brain-rewriting-thingy he had and... Well, Sis is way better at explaining the rest of it. You should ask her when she gets here!"

quote:

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

"Well, there's a whole team that's monitoring our power levels or whatever the heck they do with all the readings they're taking, but if I had to pick one? It'd be Doctor Stella Ozette of the Institute of (un)Conventional Sciences! They're taking point on keeping an eye on all the kids who got rescued. Some of 'em need some really specialized care what with the way they're, like, super-poison or whatever, but... Well, me and sis don't need that! We're bonafide badasses now! I think they're mostly just worried that Kratach stuck us with some hidden programming or something and we'll go evil."

"Which, uh, he didn't and we won't. But hey! I guess I get why they're not going to just take my word for it."

quote:

• Why do you try to be a hero?

"Alright, yeah, so here's the deal. I kinda don't have a lot of choice? I mean, wow, how can you just go back to girl scout camp after something like that? For one thing, a lot of people are weirded out by super-humans that are just trying to make it as regular joes. Even assuming I can dial back the strength enough to sling lattes in a hip coffee bar, who's going to want to go to the place where the barista can bench press a car?"

"And, uh, seriously. Doors are hard. At least if you live in a cool superhero base you've got, like, rad sliding doors."

"Past all the debbie-downer stuff, though, I guess it's like... 'Hey! I've got cool super-powers now and I should probably do something equally cool with my life!' And, y'know, if the aliens come back, I'd like a crack at that Kratach guy myself!"

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

"Alright, well, I don't have a lot of friends these days. Outside of the kids in the Institute, I guess, but they're a little weird around me and sis. It's like they're a little sore that we got the cool powers and they got kind of screwed. Which, to be fair, makes total sense."

"But these guys? A lot of 'em aren't in the same league! It's rad that they're going out there to fight when they might get pasted by a thrown car or some sort of apocalyptic hellblast or something. I respect that, you know? I worry about them a lot, sure, but I respect them too!"

quote:

Name: Selene Yue
Look: Woman, Mixed, Calloused Hands, Casual Clothing, Memorable Costume

Abilities: Superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, uniquely skilled at fighting

The sisters share a powerful gift. They can absorb and project forces and energies. Kinetic, heat, radiation, electric. Their abilities have yet to encounter something they couldn't redirect or store in their bodies. This has a number of advantages. The first is that they can render a wide variety of dangers harmless to themselves. The second is it charges their other abilities. That being strength and durability. The nature of their power means that the more powerful an attack they negate, the power powerful they become. They've also been seen to project one kind of energy as another. Catching a fire ball, and spitting back electricity.

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane +0

Moves:

Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull’s Heart:
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 20, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've got just the character concept in mind, but no idea how to actually implement in Masks. Is this game "Never played a PbtA before" friendly?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Interest post for a Legacy probably

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
redacted.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 12, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

N/m. Gonna retract my app for now. Just can't get into the proper mindset for it right now.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 5, 2017

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

OscarDiggs posted:

I've got just the character concept in mind, but no idea how to actually implement in Masks. Is this game "Never played a PbtA before" friendly?

We've all started somewhere. :)

Also, from what I have seen/heard, there are a lot of Masks vets around here, so you're in good company when it comes to help.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Hero Name: Xenon Heart
Playbook: The Star
Song: No Differences - Horiyuki Sawano

Look: Girl, Japanese, warm smile, preppy clothing, stylish costume
Abilities: Sonic control

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +1
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves

Time for the show
When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll +Superior. On a 7-9, name one NPC present. On a 10+, name two NPCs present. The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice. On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.

Take it from me
When you comfort or support someone who openly admires your celebrity persona, roll +Superior instead of Mundane.

Audience
You are a celebrity in the city—although being a celebrity doesn’t always mean you’re liked. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after-action interviews and infrequent press conferences.

Why does your audience love you?
  • You're just like them.
  • You're a noble warrior for justice.
  • You're charming, well-spoken, and smart.

Choose two advantages:
  • You have a much wider audience.
  • You earn a lot of money from their interest.

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
  • They require chemistry with your allies.
  • They require frequent bouts of drama.

When you accept what your audience tells you about yourself, clear a condition. When you reject what your audience tells you about yourself, on a hit mark potential and expect retribution.

When you seek help from your audience, roll +Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, the GM shifts your Labels.

Moment of Truth
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin — but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be — bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience is just going to have even more demands...

Backstory

We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own. If you see the team as a means to an end, give

Have you ever heard the sickening crunch of pre-fab durosteel as it collapses on your closest friends and family? Pray you never do. It still haunts me to this day. What was supposed to be a concert for friends and family members of the band turned into... well, you know. Everybody knows.

The media was quick to jump. Concertmageddon. Every member of Heartbeat dead. One of the biggest bands in the world, gone in an instant. And the only survivor, teen daughter of the band's core duo. Me. Xenon Heart.

So before you get all high and mighty, before you say "yeah, I get it," stop. Just... stop. You don't know me - not the real me. You don't know what it feels like. And you'll never understand why I have to do what I'm about to do. "What about your future? What about the millions of fans who want to see you carry on your parents' tradition?" I don't care. I really don't. This isn't a kids movie, and I'm not a kid. And when I find the assholes that did this - oh, they'll pay.

• When did you first appear onscreen?

Probably before I was even born, to be honest. My parents, Mike and Iruna Heart, they were some of the most famous musicians in the world. Their band, Heartbeat, went quadruple-platinum ten times. You hear them in commercials, you watch them on TV. So yeah, there's probably some clip out there of them showing off pictures of me in some ultrasound. Whatever.

• What do you tell people about how you got your powers?

Born with em. Something to do with the constant presence of music and sound around me as I grew up. Probably - I mean, who really knows. I can bend sound. It's not really that cool unless you make it cool. Just the way I like it.

• Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?

The fans who get it - the real ones. Plenty out there want me to turn back into a jingle-making GBS threads sellout but that's not me. Not anymore.

• Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?

I wish I didn't know but I do. Barry Backus. CEO of Marketsplash. Self-proclaimed God of advertising. And he keeps bugging me, telling me that my parents entered into some "post-end of life" contract that I'm now bound by. Had to duck more than a few of his goons to get here - but now I'm here, that's all that matters. Let's see him try to stop me now.

Wish I could tell you something sinister or dramatic here - but the truth is, I've always respected a well-oiled team. Heartbeat, for one. Watching how each individual made the whole so much better. I understand that heroing is different from music but... I want us to be that well-oiled team. Supporting and helping each other. There for each other. That's why I care.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 13, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Reading over it again, definitely probably a Janus.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Joined Linked to Tricky's Bull

- - -

The Joined! Rosie Yue!

The 'door' fell over gently. Rose's out stretched finger hovering where the portal had once sat. Her sister's handiwork no doubt. She smiles softly, and then pulls a piece off of the pack of Cookie Dough she was holding. Stepping carefully over the fallen door. Taking a seat, a crackle of energy in her hand and the cookie dough baked. She took a bite out of it.

"Sorry for the delay. I got... held up." she said. Not mentioning following her sister, listening to her chatter away. Hearing a cry of alarm. Following it down the alleyway to find a hero and villain having a conversation. Dr Claw, and Justice Star. She also didn't mention Dr Claw trying to take her hostage, and crush her. Or the shared confusion when nothing happened and she hit him hard enough to send him skyward.

She didn't mention a single thing about it.

Instead she offered some of her fresh baked cookie dough.

quote:

• How did you and your other half become connected?

The question made her smile. She had a very sweet smile. "I'm sure you've already talked to my Sister. She can talk a lot. She probably told you how we got abducted and then rescued at the last minute before we could be turned into a pair of evil assassins for a galactic emperor. But what she'd probably failed to mention was why we were so successful. The kids, they weren't... they couldn't handle the powers. They got overwhelmed. But us, we were always close. Bonded, they said. We shared the burden. And we thrived! Our powers are unlike anything else! We're just so powerful! We're just untouchable and strong and no one can deal with us when we work together! We-!" Rosy stopped herself. She was getting excited.

Despite everything she presented herself as, she could be just as talkative and excitable as her Sister.

"They built us to work together, charge off of each other. We were always close, now it was a weapon. They said we had a 'bond' or, um, something something something science words and stuff. Like some kinda psychic connection, but I've never heard her thoughts or anything!" Rosie threw a freshly baked piece of cookie behind her. A arm popped out round the corner and snatched it out the air. Rosie barely even seems to notice. She continues talking. "But the heroes got to us first! Now we're heroes too, together! I'm so glad I get to stay with Selene! I can't even imagine not being there with her!"

quote:

• Who or what did you have to give up because of your connection?

Rosie thought carefully. Every so often, she'd rip a new piece of the dough off and baked it in her hand. She'd spark gently when she did so. "Well... It would be a normal life. After everything, we could never go back to just being kids. I mean, how could we? It would never work. I have to be careful about high fives, and hugs. Just in case I blast someone accidentally. We aren't allowed to see our parents ether. I tried to join a sports team once. But they banned us from all the marital arts, and wrestling and contact sports too!"

quote:

• Apart from your powers, what keeps you together?

"She's my sister... you know, family? I don't think that's hard to work out." Rosie shrugged. "I want to be with her, she's important to me. Like, super important. No one takes my sister away from me, or messes with her. Not even something like that Kratach guy!" She pouted, crossing her arms and scowling. "I mean...." her shoulders drop.

"I wish I stood out more besides her... She's prettier, and chattier then me, plus, she looks so much hotter in her costume then I do mine! Which is so not fair." She looks alarmed for a moment. "Uhh... please don't tell her I said that! Please?"

quote:

• Someone outside the team thinks you’d be better off going your own way. Who are they and why do they think that?

"Pfff, they don't know ANYTHING! Who do they think they are?!"

"Oh, the Alcemissy? Oh my god! She's such a know it all! She's just like 'blah blah blah, I'm the Alcamissy! I'm dumb and stupid and think I know what's best for everyone all the time!'. She's not even a teen! She's like, an adult who de-aged themselves to being a teen again! So now they're making her join the youth teams again! Because they think they're funny! Ugggghhh."

Rosie starts sparking, she thumps her balled fists onto her chair's arms. They bend like wet paper. Glowing red hot. Rosie doesn't notice.

"She's constantly talking about how we're dangerous, probably still full of Alien mind control stuff. And how I'm totally obsessed with Selene! Like I'm hanging onto her like some kinda creepy parasite! That's just so mean! It hurts, you know! I'm.... I'm not obsessed with her! I'm not!" Rosie lapses into a sullen silence. Eye's flicking back and forth uncomfortably. "Umm... on an unrelated note, do you know where she is?"

quote:

"Uh, yeah!" Rosie nods happily. "They're really cool, and they're like us! They're super powered weirdos!" There's a few moments were she runs by the last sentence she said again. "Um, please don't tell them I called them weirdos, that's a really mean thing to say. I'm really sorry."

quote:

Name: Rosie Yue
Look: Woman, Mixed, Curious face, Casual Clothing, Memorable Costume

Abilities: Superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, uniquely skilled at fighting

The sisters share a powerful gift. They can absorb and project forces and energies. Kinetic, heat, radiation, electric. Their abilities have yet to encounter something they couldn't redirect or store in their bodies. This has a number of advantages. The first is that they can render a wide variety of dangers harmless to themselves. The second is it charges their other abilities. That being strength and durability. The nature of their power means that the more powerful an attack they negate, the power powerful they become. They've also been seen to project one kind of energy as another. Catching a fire ball, and spitting back electricity.

Labels:

Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane +0

Moves:

Your Other Half
You share a deep bond with your other half. You are stronger together than you are apart, for now. If your other half is a Delinquent Outsider, or Transformed, take two moves from their playbook: one they have and one they don’t. Remember that you share much beyond your moves; i.e., if your other half is an Outsider, you both hail from the same dimension/planet/etc. For all other playbooks, you share in the core extras of your other half.
Bull: Take The Bull’s Heart with the same love and rival as your other half. Choose a different role that you commonly fulfill.

The Bull’s Heart:
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Listener: When you pierce the mask of your love or rival, you can always let them ask you a question to ask them an additional question in turn, even on a miss. These additional questions do not have to be on the list.

Bonds and Distinctions
At character creation you start with Two of a kind, and choose one other bond. When either you or your other half locks a Label, cross off one of your chosen bonds and choose a distinction
- Two of a kind: When time passes, you and your other half gain Influence over each other. When you or your other half pierces the other’s mask, mark a condition to take a 10+.
- Fastball special: When you perform a coordinated fighting maneuver with your other half, say who takes the lead and who assists. The leader rolls the adult move overwhelm a vulnerable foe. The assistant marks a condition.

Moment of Truth:

When you trigger your Moment of Truth, choose—are you working with your other half, or are you on your own?

If you’re working with your other half, use the text of their Moment of Truth and treat it as if it applies to both of you. Remember to lock your Label and switch a bond to a distinction because you’ll probably never reach these heights of perfect connection, of being one, ever again…

If you’re on your own, use the following text:
You’re on your own. It’s like missing an arm. Like fighting naked. Like holding your breath. You’re missing something vital...but you’re moving faster than ever, thinking faster than ever, doing things you couldn’t even do while relying on both of your strength combined. And it’s hitting you, hard—you can do this. Without them. And you can win. It’s going to be hard to come down off this high and rejoin with them afterwards, isn’t it? Remember to lock a Label and switch a bond to a distinction, afterward.

Team Moves:

When one of you shares moment of vulnerability or shares a triumphant celebration without the other one present, mark a condition to mark a potential.

The connection between our two halves was threatened by the crisis. How? By what?

Relationships:

When you have problems with your other half, you talk to _________________.

You are jealous of the relationship between your other half and Miracle Girl (and Hound), and you keep trying to interject yourself.
Oh EM GEEE! She's just so cool, and cute, and pretty! I can't help but want her all to myself! I share a lot of things with Sis, but I wish she'd just share her with me. (and then relinquish her claim and I can keep her all for myself!)

Influence:

Are you more or less trusting than your other half? If more trusting, give out one more Influence
than they did.

If you didn’t get Influence over your other half, then take it now. If you didn’t give Influence to
your other half, then give it now.

Miracle Girl - She's so pretty! I just wanna smooch her all day long!
Charger - He's such a meanie! I just hates that he always knows how to hit me where it hurts! Verbally I mean. If he actually tried to hit me I'd roast him!
Jade Jewel Runner up in the 'I totally want to smooch that face' copitition. I don't really understand her, but she's super cute
Selene Yue SISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 10, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

Hero Name: Captain Dinosaur Charger
Playbook: The Janus

Look: man, white, boring clothing, concealing costume, hood.
Abilities: Impossible Mobility and Supernatural Senses.

Labels
Freak +0
Danger +0
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane +3

Moves
The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
❑ Savior
Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label.
When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Game face: When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

Mild-mannered: When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it
On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Team Moves
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Moment of Truth
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

Secret Identity
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.
Caring for someone, household chores, close relative.

Charger is fairly new to the Superhero scene, only being active for about a year. In that time though, they’ve proven themselves to be dedicated, impassioned, single-minded, bull-headed… Well, he’s just very into this superheroing business!

A bit tooooo into it, if you were to ask some people. He’s very professional and tries not to step on anyone’s toes, but if there’s such a thing as enjoying you’re work a bit to much, Charger is the perfect example. Intensely private and tight lipped, he’s a hero that does the job and very little else. Still compared to the hang-ups some teenage heroes have, it’s refreshing to have someone as fresh-faced and adept as Charger.

However, there are a few strange rumours going around. Something to do with a hero that went missing 6 years ago? Ah, probably nonsense. Charger would have only been 10 at that sort of time…

- - - - -

When Jake with 6, he discovered something amazing; he could teleport! Not very far of course, in fact if he had taken the time to measure it he would have found he couldn’t teleport further then 12 inches at a time. Then again, when you’re only in reality for 1/100 of a second, it doesn’t really matter how far you can teleport, just how long you can keep doing it.

Over the next two years of running teleporting circles around the grandparents who were raising him in the absence of his birth parents, Jake learned just a tad to much pride and arrogance, and with the confidence only an eight year old could have, Jake decided he would be a hero!

He was… alright. As alright as you would expect an eight year old who couldn’t fight crime after 6pm because that was his curfew to be. In fact, once the villains found out Captain Dinosaur didn’t operate later in the day, he ended up doing very little crime fighting; they all just started to wait until he was in bed. Of course, the unlikely alliance of heroes and villains who let it be known that anyone caught messing about with the pint-sized hero wouldn’t survive to a trial date is probably what convinced most people to wait for curfew in the first place.

Instead, mostly he saved people. Supersenses and the ability to teleport through objects make for an ideal rescue worker and as long as you held on tight enough, anyone could be dragged along with the Captain. For two years, Captain Dinosaur was a main stay at fires,car crashes, search parties and all manner of traumatising accidents.

(No, I’m perfectly well adjusted thank you. Kindly shut up.)

All of this ended when he was Ten years old. It was your classic apartment fire; lower levels had been cleared of course, but too many people were still stuck on the higher levels. It was a classic rescue in all ways but one; Jake was getting bored. Bored of fires, bored of rescue work, bored bored bored! So he… started to show off a little. Then he started to show off a lot. With every “Ohhhhh” and “Ahhhhh” from the crowd, he got just a bit more cocky. This fed a vicious cycle until only one person was left in the tower; a boy of Jakes age. Well, now really was the time to impress! Praise from Adults? Eh. Adulation from his peers? Awesome!

The boy was fine, eventually. They got him to the hospital in time, so, no permanent damage.

But for many, this was the final straw. The Morninglight, a hero fiercely critical of her contemporaries decision to leave the now 10 year old mostly unattended and who had now just been vindicated by said 10 year old, led the lambasting. She was… well. Open youtube and search for “Morninglight makes baby superhero cry for 3 minutes straight” and you’ll get a perfectly clear picture of what happened.

After that night, Captain Dinosaur was never seen on the streets again.

- - - - -

In the years since, Jake had very little time for Heroing. His Grandparents, already old when he came to their care, are now practically ancient with his Nan full time in a care home and Grandad nearly at that stage. He still helps people, just not in mask. He does it secretly, hidden from the eyes on onlookers.Hidden from everyone but himself and the guilt and shame of that night. But now, 6 years later, it's time again to put on a mask. Not just to cast aside the past and make up for his mistakes, but to help forge a better future.

When did you first put on the mask? Why?
“A year ago. Yep. Done this for a year. Yeeeeeeeeep… Alright fine, but do not tell anyone!. I first put the mask on… 8 years ago now. Funnily enough, when I was 8. It was… ugh, it was because it was cool, okay? Superheros were cool. I had a cool superpower, so I had to be a cool superhero. That was it. That was… Christ I was such a little poo poo back then. To make a long story short a lot of people got hurt because I was more interested in showing off. I got called out and like a loving baby, I started bawling on live TV. But you know, The Morninglight was right. I was just a child playing dressup and I didn’t really care about doing good. I just thought it was cool. It took a few years for me to accept that… and then I started saving people again. Not as a superhero… just helping. Moving people out of traffic, helping people escape fires. Small things, things where no one would know someone had actually intervened. That was the first step; helping people not because it was fun or for a reward, but because helping people is the right thing to do. When I was sure I could trust myself, that’s when I put on the mask a second time. I’m not here to show off now, I’m not about showing how cool I am or anything like that. I’m here to do the right thing, and make up for happened.”

quote:

Why do you keep a secret identity?
“To make sure all of this doesn’t go to my head... again You have to understand, back then I was literally a superhero purely for the praise. I need to put that behind me; I don’t do this for myself anymore, but for others. Charger gets praised for what Charger does and I get praise for what I do and that’s it. No more showing off and no more risking peoples lives to go off and do the fun thing... Plus... it would be really really embarrassing if it ever got out about Aptain-Cay Inosaur-Day.”

quote:

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?
“No one… well I would hope so at least. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose. The first time around, I think my Grandparents caught on pretty quick to who ‘Captain Dinosaur’ really was, but now? With Nan in the nursing home and Granddad working hard to pay for it, I doubt either of them have had the time or the inclination to figure it out. Otherwise… well, if someone else does know, I don’t know about it.”

quote:

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?
“If we were talking about Captain Dinosaur I am sure I could give you a laundry list of names, and it would all be rightly deserved. Number one on that list would probably be The Morninglight. As Charger? Man, I don’t think I’ve been around long enough to build up any serious hate. I guess, if anything, a few of the other heroes might. I am a bit... stick-up-my-arse, I guess.”

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
“They’re a vehicle. And a means to an end. Not to sound vain or manipulative or ungrateful or... whatever. But that’s what they are to me. As a team, I don’t draw as much attention to myself, so no chance of falling back into bad habits. If I start getting cocky or showing off to much, they’ll be there to tell me to knock it off. And, as a team, we’ll be much more effective at the whole saving people thing.”

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 4, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A Doomed goes here.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ghost Eater, the Legacy

Oh! Hey there. Yeah, it's a little weird to be talking about superhero stuff out of the costume. I know I'm not the most approachable then, but that's kind of expected of me. Tradionally the Ghost Eater has stuck to the shadows and been a silent brooding type. And when I say traditionally I mean it is literally part of the way we're supposed to act. See, the early heroes felt that being dark and mysterious would benefit them since no one would really know what to expect. And the newest one usually tries to mix things up a bit. Like this mask - It doesn't actually do anything or have anything to do with the costume. It just throws people off.

It's odd I know, but that's just the way we've done it.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

On my 16th birthday my father retired and, as part of the tradition, ritually gave the powers of the Ghost Eater to me. Well, most of them. I'm still trying to figure out some parts of it.

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

That would be how we gained our powers in the first place. Long ago there was this supervillain running around. Calls herself Gwisin. Very powerful, and it was looking pretty bad since it seemed like no one was going to be able to stop her. So the first Ghost Eater searched long and hard, until they found this ritual. It would take away a great deal of Gwisin's power...and give it to the caster. Since the caster was a regular human, it didn't fully transfer over. Most of it works in or with darkness, not all the time. Anyway, once she had done it Gwisin was able to be taken down.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Well, since one of the big traditions of the legacy is keeping things secret and potentially misinforming anyone on what exactly our powers might be, there's several thoughts out there. It ranges from people thinking we're really cool, to others that think we can eat the souls of anyone and should be feared. But for the most part we're pretty respected in the city. Despite how we look we still act like most superheroes when it comes down to it.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

It's part of my heritage. I think I'd disappoint my whole family if I refused. Not that I would! I like helping people and all. But if I'm being honest, I have to say the expectations of everyone kind of plays a big part.

quote:

Because it'll be nice to be with people who know what being a superhero is like. And maybe I can relax around them, even if it's just in private.

quote:

Ambiguous
Asian
Comfortable clothing
Predecessor's costume
No insignia

Abilities:

You have powers that match your general line. Choose one suite of powers, but pick two powers that you don’t have from your suite:

shadow control, shadow portals, mind-clouding, shadow cloak stealth, shadow senses

Labels:

Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +1

Moves

Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Symbol of authority: When you give an NPC an order based on authority they recognize, roll +Savior. On a hit, they choose one:
- do what you say
- get out of your way
- attack you at a disadvantage
- freeze
On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Hwan Lee is still active and prominent in the city.

My grandmother, even though she no longer has powers, manages to keep busy in the superhero part of the city. They still respect her work from the past and since she doesn't have her powers anymore, she's more behind the scenes these days.

Sung Lee is retired and quite judgmental.

My father recently went into retirement, but that doesn't mean he doesn't keep an eye on me and let me know how he thinks I'm doing.

Iseul Lee is the next possible member of your legacy.

If something happens to me, my sister is the one who will pick up where I left off. See, being an immediate sibling, the power will go to her if I...you know. Die or whatever. It's happened before to previous Ghost Eaters.

Gwisin is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

So...remember how our line started because of stealing power from Gwisin? Being a mega powerful ghost, she's been able to stay around and oh man is she still pretty pissed about the whole thing. We usually manage to keep her under control but it's not a great time when she shows up.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.

You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 20, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
All right, that's my background done for now. With all the subtext that I can muster on four hours sleep and a ten hour work day!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

(image source)

Jade Jewel, the Outsider

Hello, and thank you for having me here. It's a great honor to be invited to an audition for Strikeforce. What it means to me, I cannot articulate completely, so... thank you.

quote:

Where do you come from?

I'm from Ovansha Prime, in the Ovansha star system; on your world, I believe our system would be "AT Microscopii?" My people inhabit three of the worlds surrounding our suns, and we have the technology to expand further, if... our circumstances allowed.

If our technology seems advanced, it is because it has to be. Our world is not well protected from the energetic flares of our suns, and almost all of us are born with deformities or diseases. We struggled as a species for millennia, until we developed the techniques of machine symbiosis -- something like your prosthetics, or artificial organs, but integrated fully with our bodies. Once we were able to reach our true potential through machine symbiosis, we developed quickly, but we have never forgotten how crucial our technology is to our survival.

... Yes, before you ask, my symbiotic machinery is not unusual. There are many Ovanshans with more substantial symbioses, although mine are more visible than many. Would it be proper, on Earth, to attempt to cover them?

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

My people are dying.

The machine symbiosis process is failing. More and more children are being born whose bodies reject the implants, and malfunction rates are increasing for everyone. For some symbioses, like limbs, we can offer inferior non-integrated replacements; for others, there's nothing that can be done. Many die young. Others are too ill or crippled to work, and the systems that need workers crumble. Our scientists cannot solve the problem quickly enough, and civil breakdown cannot be far away. They tell me that the colony worlds have it worse, and that they may make war against Ovansha Prime to capture what resources we have... and those who are still symbiosis-compatible, as workers and slaves.

Our last hope is other worlds and their sources of power and wisdom, like the superhumans of Earth. Several of us have been sent on missions of hope, to earn the trust and gratitude of those who might help us save Ovansha. There is no price we will not pay.

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

I need to prove myself here, to establish links with Earth's superpowers, and arrange for aid to Ovansha. However much I have to do for Earth to earn a favor in kind, I'll do it.

... It's not just that, though. I like it here. The symbiote crisis began before I was born; all my life, I've lived in the darkness of knowing my people were doomed, that there were only a few strands of hope. Earth... you have your problems, it is true -- and I will help, of course -- but there is so much joy here, so much levity. It's good to live somewhere with happiness in the air. And the weather is wonderful!

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

Many of those on Ovansha decry the possibility of seeking help from other worlds. They say it's a waste of time, and a waste of healthy young people who could save the worlds from home. Others say that we have the responsibility as a species to die with dignity, quietly, and not drag other races here to watch us waste away.

These people are stupid. Only a dozen of us have left -- what, would we save the world on our own? I'm no scientist, no great thinker. What could I do? And "dignity" doesn't matter. I won't let us die until I know I've done all I can to stop it. No real Ovanshan would think otherwise.

quote:

Strikeforce is my chance to make a name for myself, to earn Earth's gratitude for my service, and my teammates are those I must trust and work with to fulfill that goal. Beyond that... many of them know what it is to be trained for impossible duties and bear impossible burdens. That's something I've never known beyond my fellow cadets at home. It's precious to be understood, at least a little.

quote:

Hero Name: Jade Jewel

Look: Woman, human body, glowing eyes, average clothing, your people's uniform
Abilities: Flying, pretty tough, alien weaponry, telepathy and mind blasts

Labels
Freak +3
Danger-1
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves

Alien Tech
When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

The Best of Them
When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Not So Different After All When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 19, 2018

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
I will edit this point into the opening post, by I'll also put this here so that it flags the thread and bring attention to it.

It has come to my attention that I haven't specified a tone/rating for this game. I am rectifying it now. First off, none of the apps has 'crossed the line' as far as expectations go, so no editing is needed content wise. For any new apps, however, keep in mind that I will allow anything that would be acceptable if this was series shown on primetime television on a Major Network at the 8 o'clock slot.

Think Arrow, Flash or Supergirl. Young Justice (the Cartoon Network series) is another fine source. I don't mind serious content as long as there is a purpose behind it.

Violence is unavoidable, obviously, but as to what is absolutely not allowed:

-swearing beyond reason

-sex (implied sex within reason is allowed but nothing graphic please. General rule, if you sense that undergarments will get involved, fade to black, please)

-Content that you would expect the FCC to shut the show down (Racism is one thing, but super explicit racism, like the over use of the N-word, for example, is heavily frowned upon).

Remember, as I stated in the OP, I can add to this list as situations call for it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

WIP

quote:

Hero Name: Penumbra
Playbook: Doomed

Look: Man, White, Haunted eyes, Unassuming clothing, Adaptive Costume.

Abilities:
Telekinesis
Shadow Constructs
Body Transmutation

Labels:

Danger: +1
Freak: +1
Savior: +2
Superior: -1
Mundane: 0

Nemesis

You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s
going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? The Thing in the Shadows

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Doom

You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted ruthlessly, or maybe
you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future is grim.What brings your doom
closer? Choose two.

overexerting yourself
injuring innocents

Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track.

When your doom track fills, clear it and take one of your doomsigns.

Doomsigns

These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five
doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills.
Choose one doomsign you already hold at character creation.

Infinite Powers: Mark your doom track to use an ability from any playbook, one time.

Sanctuary

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline three features of your sanctuary:
a library of valuable tomes; a scattering of ancient relics; art, music, and food

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
easily damaged or tampered with,
tied intricately to your doom

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do.
The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfil to complete your solution:
❑ First, you must _______________________
❑ You’ll need help from ___________________
❑ You and your team will risk danger from ______
❑ The best you can do is a lesser version,
unreliable and limited
❑ You’ll need to mark one box on your doom track
❑ You’ll have to obtain ___________________

Moment of Truth

The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Relationships

You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
You’d love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence

These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Even before he discovered his unique gifts, the life of James Marshall Cobain was far from ordinary. It's kind of hard to lead an ordinary life in a place like Halcyon city, but he didn't try. No, James wanted to be a rockstar, and that's pretty much exactly what he did. At age 14, he(as lead guitar) and a few of his high school Dungeons and Dragons buddies formed the power metal band Battleaxe. Apparently, they were good enough that, despite their age, they would get regular small-time gigs at local establishments. A year later, they would sign on with Sonic Blast Records and release their first full album, Battle Cries Of The Damned Legion. What would follow was a small but vocal fan following, particularly online, where the band posts regular vlogs about the tight balance of band, school, and social life.

A few months ago, a now 16-year-old James found an ad on Craigslist, stating the following: "FOR SALE: Electric guitar. Carved from the wood of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, with strings and metal parts forged by the ancient Dwarves. This guitar has been anointed in the Mead of Poetry, made from the blood of Kvasir, first of the skalds. $50 obo, buyer must pick it up." Well, how's a guy supposed to say no to that? Despite it being an hour-long drive each way, the sale was legit(even if the old blind lady selling it was a bit on the weird side, spouting some crazy stuff about prophecy), and James was the proud owner of an old Fender lookalike. It looked and worked fine and didn't need any replacements, so $50 was a steal.

It wasn't until James used it at the next gig, a small local concert, that he discovered the power within the guitar. After blowing out literally every speaker on the stage and nearly killing several audience members, he found out his new old guitar might not be just a normal guitar and maybe that crazy old blind woman wasn't so crazy. Definitely old and blind, just not crazy. Well, after this, James took up superheroing, adopting the moniker 'The Ballad'. In defiance of tradition, he makes no effort to conceal his identity, and has actually used his superheroing to further his band's popularity. As far as the public are aware, he's a metahuman and his sonic-based powers stem from him. Sonic Blast Records have actually been quite happy with this development, and his band certainly doesn't mind the extra fame. Of course, some of the more 'traditional' superheroes probably chafe at such blatant self-promotion. Like James cares.

The Ballad posted:

The Ballad, Star

Hero Name: The Ballad

Look: James is a young man, standing at approximately 2 metres tall, with a thin build. He has long blonde hair he prefers to wear loose, blue eyes, and 'prettyboy' features. His style of dress favours a lot of black leather and chains, though wearing bright or flamboyant clothing isn't outrageous, and his 'super' costume and stage outfits both feature capes. The side of face has a large burn scar from the accident at the concert.
Abilities: Sonic Control

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior +1
Superor +2
Mundane -1

Audience
Why does your audience love you?
You're charming, well-spoken, and smart.
You're stunning, unique, and beautiful.
You're a firebrand, a rabble-rouser.

Advantages
You earn a lot of money from their interest.
You can easily speak to them at any time.

Demands
They require novelty and brand new action.
They require constant stimulation.

Moves
Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior. On a 7-9, name one NPC present. On a 10+, name two NPCs present. The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice. On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it’s part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don’t agree, the GM shifs your Labels.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own.
If you see the team as a means to an end, give no one Influence. If you see the team as something
worthwhile, give three teammates Influence. (I promise to choose this as soon as I see the lineup. It'll probably be 'something worthwhile', but I wanna see who James will be working with before making that decision.)

There's a knock at the door, and it falls over again, revealing James in the doorway, fist raised. He coughs lightly, steps into the interview room, and carefully picks up and replaces the battered portal. "Guess I don't know my own strength?" he offers with a lopsided smirk. Finding a seat, the young metalhead sits down, placing his guitar in his lap and calmly tuning it while he answers questions.

quote:

When did you frst appear onscreen?
Depends on what you mean. Just in general, Battleaxe debuted two years ago down at the Thrasher on John Street. This was before I discovered my gifts. If you mean the first time I publicly debuted my powers, well... Do you remember the incident at Tracey Hall back in October? That was the first time my powers ever manifested.

quote:

What do you tell people about how you got your powers?
The, uh, truth. That they manifested suddenly during a concert, and now I'm the sonic blast in Sonic Blast Records.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?
My band, my label, my fans? I dunno, folks seem pretty stoked, and you should see the hits I get whenever I put up any video footage of... Well, you know all about that.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?
... Conservatives? Fundamentalist Christians? Bad parents looking for something other than themselves to blame for why their kid hates them? Country fans? I'm just guessing here. If someone's against what I 'represent', they haven't told me. You know, ignoring YouTube comments.

quote:

Well, if you're talking in general, because they're cool! I mean, we need more people who step up and do their part, y'know? And I mean, everyone who joins the police department or is a volunteer firefighter or a reservist or anything else like that, they're all good people who do good stuff and I have nothing but respect for them. But the team's the -team-, man. This is Halcyon, and we're just a bunch of kids. And hey, I know I'm living my dream already, but these guys... I guess I really wanna make sure they live long enough to live theirs.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 23, 2017

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
If you have apped in Arashi's game, read the entirety of this post.

I noticed that things are dying down.

Anyone who is still on the fence of apping for this game will have till the 30th to put an interest post in. Deadline for Full App completion will be a week after.

In plain english:

Deadline for interests: September 30th at 11:59pm EST

Deadline for full applications: October 7th at 11:59pm EST

Now there are some who may be a bit burned out in reaching Arashi's deadline. To ensure that you can give Arashi your full effort I will grant players who have apped in his game an extension upon request as long as you at least make the interest deadline..

The extension will be announced based on factors, but I do this to alleviate pressure and assure quality for both myself and Arashi.

That is all. :)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, I don't wanna be a dick, but you might not want to leave apps open that long, because there is another Masks game for folks to app in if they don't get in to this one.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

I am interested. I'll look into what kind of character might fit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Amazing Anecdotes #23 posted:

Once a generation, some of Earth's greatest heroes and minds gather and choose a new bearer of the Miracle Mantle.

There's just one small catch.

They're dead.

"Some call me old-fashioned. But the past is complicated, huh? There's always been a lot of good in the world, a lot of bad. A lot of heroes. They chose me, though, so I try and live up to what they did, what they dreamed about... the kind, decent, accepting parts, I mean! History is about learning lessons, and I try and carry that wisdom with me. I still have to punch things a lot, though. That really hasn't changed yet...!"

The Council of Heroes gathers in the Afterlands, the realm between the worlds of the passed. Karna, Hercules, Yennenga, and other heroes of Earth's past weigh the suitability of souls on the precipice of life and death, those who have sacrificed so others may live and die.

It's honestly kind of a mess. Even the greatest saviors from throughout history can be big jerks... well, especially them. But between all their arguing and shouting, usually they pick right. Usually. Well. Close enough.

"I remember the dog running in front of the truck, and I moved after. If I'd thought about it... well, I didn't. I felt pain fill me up in a way that just- everything shut down. I couldn't move. The dog came back to me, as if to apologize. I was just glad he was alive, as much as I could think. I think they took me to the hospital. I think something in my head was hurt. It was like I was aware, but I couldn't think. I was dying. My breathing was going away, but I wasn't so aware of things. I knew they were trying to save me. I wish I could have comforted them, but... I could barely move. Or talk. Or think. I was broken, and wondered if I'd ever be me again."

Miraculous was the bearer of the previous generation. From the 1930s on, she fought for a better world, but even as Miraculous remained young and vital, her secret identity aged all the same. She didn't perish in battle or sacrifice, but surrounded by other heroes and loved ones. She was not the first to bear the mantle, and she would hardly be the last.

It took time for the Council to meet again to decide her successor, not perceiving time on Earth as we do, but when they did, they argued for ages on whom to select. Somebody who bore bravery in war or disaster? Or somebody of principle in peacetime, who fought for rights or the poor? Perhaps somebody of strong religious conviction?

Ultimately, it was Gilgamesh that suggested drawing lots in the interest of putting silence to the matter..

"They told me later I stopped breathing. I remember waking up a warm, green hill. I was approached by a number of odd characters... you know, knights and warriors and old wise sorts. I remember a large man shouting 'HER?! Why did I suggest lots?' I was just kind of shocked, and an old... I think it was a wizard, took me aside and said it I had been chosen to take over Miraculous' role. I mean... me? I told him I really... that there were more special people than I was. He shook his head and said 'it's not about being special, it's about wanting to help'. So. I agreed. I wanted more than anything to help.

That's how I met the Council of Heroes. They gave me the power to survive, and in turn, I could help others. The doctor said me surviving the brain injury was a miracle. Well. He was more right that he knew. I was given the mantle. I would become Miracle Girl.

But I looked for that dog, and found he had been taken to a shelter where he'd passed away. He'd refused to eat, they said. Maybe he was sick. Or sad. I didn't understand. I was so angry. I could pick up a bus, I could fly to the moon, but I couldn't... I couldn't... I begged them. I pleaded with them, hoping the Council would hear me out. But two miracles? That seemed ridiculous."

Many of them weren't happy. She wasn't from a line of kings, she wasn't particularly devout, she wasn't a warrior, and so on. Shlomo was the one who stood up for her, proclaiming that they had agreed to let the gods decide, hasn't they? Was any one of them putting themselves above the gods?

There was mumbling and grumbling, but none either dared or cared by then. The girl would be the new bearer. Some would remain closer to the table, to give her guidance, while others would return to their realms of reward or to wherever their souls might wander. After many of them left, Leizu, the one who had drawn the straws, realized:

"Shlomo, I hate to mention, but I think I accidentally drew two straws."

"They heard me. And that how I met Miracle Hound."

pre:

Abilities: Super Strength, Invincibility, Flight

Freak +0	Danger -1	Savior +3	Superior +0	Mundane +1

Legacy
  • The Council of Heroes is retired and quite judgmental.
  • Apollyon is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
Whenever time passes, roll +Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
  • have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
  • have you maintained the image of your legacy?
  • have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life. Playbook Moves C’mon, Lucky: You have a pet of some kind, a smaller companion that helps you out. Choose three basic moves (Directly Engage a Threat, Assess the Situation, Comfort or Support Someone). Whenever your pet could help you, take +1 to that move. If your pet ever gets hurt, treat it as taking a powerful blow. Fight the Good Fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe. Words of the Past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential. Team Moves When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you. Moment of Truth This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...
When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

"Well, gee, I already discussed that! But... I guess having to fight Apollyon for the first time made it official. I wasn't really ready... but lucky for me, neither was he. I don't think he was expecting another Miracle during last year's invasion. Also, I got a lot of help from older heroes. He's... this ruler at the end of time that's trying to destroy Earth, the last free bastion in the universe... and since he can't beat them in his own time, he comes back to our own to try and destroy Earth. He said he'd be 'keeping an eye on me'. Gross! But at least we fought him back, and we'll do it the next time, and the next! Evil just can't win."

. o O (Yes, she really is like this all the time.)

"Hound! I am! It's nothing to be ashamed of!"

. o O (Who's a good human? Who is?)

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

"Um, it's hard to pick just one? Miraculous, I mean, everything she did in World War II, stopping Rex Regal and his Mean Machine, keeping Apollyon back, saving refugees, stopping disasters, and leading a revolution against RAVEN's overthrow of America in the '00s. But I think what was most important was just being an example, inspiring generations of heroes again and again, leaving behind a legacy of people doing good, with or without powers!"

. o O (Not just people.)

"Geez, sorry, I didn't mean to be so anthropocentric!"

How does the public perceive your legacy?

"Who doesn't know Miraculous? I mean, she's... the most famous... well, one of the most famous? At least in the Americas. Everybody loved her, but when she couldn't stop all the destruction. It was rough. People expected her to be able to stop everything, but even she couldn't be everywhere. I guess when you do so much good, people expect so much. But you can't worry about that, huh? All you can do is keep going."

. o O (There's always another dinnertime.)

"I could really go for a triple burger... um... maybe that's a bad example to set, though..."

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

"Well, I wouldn't be chosen if I wasn't willing to be a hero, would I? I mean, the Council knows what they're doing... mostly... but more than that, they could only reach out and "see" me because I came so close to the afterlife. And I wouldn't have been there if I'd given up. And... I don't want to ever be helpless like that again. I want to help people. Some people might have more complicated reasons, but I think it's best to keep it simple."

. o O (Still seems complicated to me.)

"Um, I try to care about everybody, though it's not always easy. I mean, if they want to be heroes, I have to do everything I can to support them! Simple again."

. o O (It's what you do.)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ugh, I can't nail down my character to the paper, going to withdraw.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Alright, with the deadline past, I will go on to one round of questions. They will come on Tuesday at the latest.

I apologize for my slowfulness. As some of you already know, I had a drastic shift change at work. Things are a bit more stable now, so I can be around with a bit more regularity.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Vanguard let out a long relaxing sigh. Finally, it was a long a tedioius process, but finally, finally, she had the B team figured out. These five individuals would be perfect.

It was during this moment, as she finished finalizing the roster, that Delphine keyed in.

"Ma'am. The final group of candidates has arrived."

Wait... what?

"...you're joking."

"They have met all the qualifications."

"...you're joking."

"...is there a problem I am unaware of, Ma'am?"

"Yes. One: Age. Two: Experience. Three: Age. Four: I already have a team selected! Did I mention their age?"

"Yes, this would make it the third time you mentioned it.."

"I was being sarcastic"

"Oh... Ma'am, it would be rude if I turn them away now."

"Sigh. Yeah. It would. drat it, I never even looked at their files. Nor did I prepare a unique simulation for each of them. Fine, I'll wing it. Prepare Hostage Rescue Delta."

"...Ma'am, that Scenario was designed to be unwinnable."

"Precisely. Best for them to learn now."

"That's not my only concern. How will you objectively judge them without knowing about them?"

"I'm doing them a favor. Pretend they have a shot, put them into an unwinnable scenario, thus when they get rejected, they won't feel so bad."

"I don't understand..."

"Just send them in one at a time. I'll work it out."

"...yes, Ma'am."

"Who is first?"

"The Yue sisters. They insist on being interviewed together..."

The Yue Sisters? Wait... the alien invasion? Those two girls?

No! Absolutely not! Those two were loose cannons... and that is before you took their powers into the equation!

"...right. let them in. I guess I can fluff up their expectations before the simulation breaks them down."

And off went the door.

----

@Selene and Rosie

It took all of Vanguard's patiance to ignore the destruction of the door. The door and it's fixtures was not cheap. It was alien technology! Cutting Edge! And now it was smashed open.

Count to ten. Smile, Vanguard, for the love of all things holy, smile before you say or do something you will regret!

And with sheer force of will, she forced a smile and proceeded with the speech she had memorized for each of them. "Delphine... fix the door please."

"That neccesary development of durasteel will not come cheap." The disembodied voice answered. "The costs will reach upwards to..."

"Fix. The. Door. Please."

Well, this was a great start. Her smile, miraculously, stayed plastered on her face, even as the throb of a headache was slowly forming.

"Welcome... Selene and Rosie, correct? Yes, it has been a while. Well, on behalf of Strike Force, I have to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

[Shortly after the preliminary questions....]

"These next questions are tagged for individuals. So Rosie, I need you to leave the room."

Pause as she does so.

"...okay Selene, what do 'you' think of Alcemissy claims. Is Rosie clingy? If your duties in Strike Force require you to work independent of Rosie... for example: You make it in and she doesn't... how would you break the news to her? And no, she can't 'tag along' if she doesn't have credentials."

After Selene answers the question...

"Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

The room phases out and soon Selene is standing on a city street. In front of her a Robot as a woman in a rear choke hold.

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. He is designed to harm the hostage if you are to indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

At this moment a spark of concern entered her head. Crap, she nearly forgot the one fly in the ointment!

"You are forbidden to speak about this trial to your sister. Doing so is an automatic failure of the screening process."

She let that sink in. "You have Ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

Free Roleplay. Describe how you fail to take out the reploid via him counteracting your power. You're free to be as heroic as possible. And feel free to control the Reploid as well, including how he tries to negate your powers.

[Some time later, After Selene's Test, it's Rosie's turn.]

"So Rosie, you claim that you're not clingy, I'll give you a chance to prove it. Tell me a time that you successful performed a heroic action without the help of your sister?"

[After the answer and the Hologram change...]

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail. Of course, your sister has been through a different trial, but I'm not telling you how she did. You are also forbidden to speak to her about yours. Doing so equals failure."

Vanguard leaned back, hoping that her next words didn't sound stilted or repetitive. "You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

Free Roleplay. Describe how Selene takes down the reploid and saves the hostage. Be as heroic as possible. And feel free to control the Reploid as well, including how he tries to negate your powers

@Blazing Dragon

"...So let me get this straight, Delphine... you have nothing on Blazing Dragon?"

"I have a little bit of information on her. It's Dragon Queen we have no information on."

"Terrific. How the blue hell am I going to fake an interview if I have no goddamn idea who or what raised the candidate in the first place?"

"...you could try running a real interview instead. She might surprise you."

"No way am I allowing some unknown person like this Dragon Queen access to Strike Force... but I will conduct the interview so that I can get more information on her..."

"I take it that you have no intention of allowing Blazing Dragon onto the team?"

"No! She doesn't impress me in the least..."

"...on behalf of Strike Force, I have to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

[After preliminary questions...]

"Well, I like that you've been through training... but we at Strike Force are also looking for those who has the ability to think for themselves. Tell me, what steps have you made to step out of her shadow?"

Pause.

"And speaking of 'her', how trustworthy is she? Tell us, why would we want her as an ally?"

[After the answer...]

The room phases out and soon You are standing on a city street. In front of her a Robot as a woman in a rear choke hold.

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

She let that sink in. "If the Dragon Queen has trained you as well as you claimed, then ten seconds is more than enough. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

Free Roleplay. Describe how you fail to take out the reploid via him counteracting your power. You're free to be as heroic as possible. And feel free to control the Reploid as well, including how he tries to negate your powers.

@Xenon Heart

"Concertmageddon?"

"Yes, that is what the incident is called."

"...who came up with that stupid name? I mean, people died and they dishonor them by naming it like a bad B movie?"

"Human behavior is perplexing to me sometimes. For example your interview process so far has been..."

"For their own good, Delphine. I feel for Xenon, but sometimes hearts need to be broken for them to move on in life. She needs to learn the truth."

"...on behalf of Strike Force, I have to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

Sigh... just how many of these kids, were there? Anyway, questions. Yeah.

[After the Q&A]

"...so, you mentioned earlier about your parents death. Tell me... if, for the good of justice and Strikeforce, you were required to let go of your anger at the incident... say, work with the people responsible for "Concertmegeddon"..."

A headache was forming. Such a stupid name... "...would you? Convince me that you speak the truth."

...and after the answer.

"...this scenario is uniquely tied to you. No other candidate has ran through it. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

The room phases out and soon You are standing on a city street. In front of her a Robot as a woman in a rear choke hold.

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

She was getting amused at this. They tried. Bravely. But they failed. Not even strike force has passed this. What hope did these kids have? "You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

@Charger

"...wait a second, I know this guy!"

"Charger?"

"No, Captain Dinosaur! Who the hell allowed his application to go through?"

"...I'll look into it."

"...sigh... After what Morninglight told me, it's going to be a cold day in hell before this boy will impress me..."

...later...

"...I have to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

...sometime later...

"Right... so tell me. What makes 'Charger' different from 'Captain Dinosaur'? Convince me that you're not a boy playing at being a hero... because here on Strikeforce, playtime is over."

...and after the answer...

"...after reading your file extensively, I have decided that you deserve an... simple task. Surely, if you have matured from where you were years ago, then you'll pass this with flying colors!"

Yeah... and monkeys are going to fly out of her butt!

"You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

@Ghost Eater

"...oh my god... you've allowed a Ghost Eater in here!?"

"...something wrong, Ma'am?"

"...oh no! I love to allow soul suckers to walk the hallowed halls of Strike Force mansion!"

"That's very optimistic of you, Ma'am! I don't remember you being this happy about any of the candi..."

"I'm being sarcastic, dammit! No, I don't want a Ghost Eater here! they creep me out!"

"...well, he's waiting out in the hall."

"...just send him in. Sarcastically speaking, I'm quite sure..."

"...that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

...and later after Q&A...

"...okay, I'm going to go out and say it: Strikeforce don't have a good reputation with the Ghost Eaters of the past. There has been a lot of supernatural threats, Gwisin obviously behind most of them, and Strikeforcer and Ghosteaters in the past has always butted heads as to how to properly handle said threats. The supernatural, as you well know, is a touchy subject."

"If you were accepted onto the team..." HA! "...you would be the very first Ghost Eater to make it in. So tell me... how would you bridge the gap between us and your Legacy?"

After the answer...

She leaned forward. "I purposely chose this very scenario because I'm curious on how ytour powers will work in a situation that you will almost always find yourself in... IF you make this team. You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

@Jade Jewel

"...so she is from... where?"

"Ovansha Prime."

"Never heard of it... have to clear it up in the interview..."

"...but you have no intention of letting her on the team..."

"That doesn't mean I can't use the intel! It's important to know if there are potential galactic threats! Remember the Yue sisters?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"...right. Send her in."

"As a spokesperson of both Earth and Strikeforce, I have to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

"...hmm...you're here to help your world most of all. I see..."

Vanguard leaned back. "But tell me, have you ever heard of sacrifice? Many a time, a member had to give up things, their social life, their dreams, loved ones, even their very lives, for the greater good. Your people are dying... but what if you had to choose between Strikeforce or your own world? What would you choose?"

This was a very unfair question, and Vaguard knew it perfectly well. Yet, she dropped the bomb, all the same. Her eyes looked into Jade's, expecting an answer.

...and later.

"I think, you need a taste of what you'll be up against. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

"The Reploid is some of our sharpest technology, so I'm sure you'll have fun."

It took all of her self control not to laugh.

"You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

@Ballad

"...you're kidding. Please tell me you're kidding..."

"I don't understand the confusion Ma'am?"

"We have been tracking this Guitar for going on half a year and some hippy bought it off of Craigslist!?"

"That's what is application states."

"...I'm getting a migrain... please tell me he's the last one."

"...no. You have one more..."

"...whatever. I'm sure I'll be desensitized after this is over. What is the status of the door?"

"Fully repaired, though the costs are quite large..."

"...don't tell me the price, I don't know if I could take an increase in my migrain... just send the guy in..."

And with that, there is a knock, the destruction of another door and the increase of a migrain. Several minutes passes before Vanguard gets up and walks into her personal bathroom.

"Delphine, sound proof the bathroom please."

"Done."

No one heard the unholy string of curses that Vanguard shouted, before she reopened the door and walked back to her desk. "Sorry, I had to use the facilities. Long day and a LOT of candidates."

So, so many candidates.

"I like to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that... that..."

Hands... shaking... eyesight... fading... that goddamn door was bloody expensive...

"...that you will make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

...later.

Vanguard leaned on her table. "Okay... why did you lie about how you got your powers? What difference does it make that it's from your Guitar?"

She tapped her fingers. "Obviously, you fear something to bring up such a lie. Why are you afraid of people knowing the truth?"

After the answer...

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this totally original and unique simulartion, custom made for your abilities, He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

Revenge. You will pay for for costing me millions of dollars. Oh yes, you will pay...

"You have ten seconds, so showboat at your peril. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

@Miricle Girl (and dog)

"...wait, what is that Bow wow doing here?"

"I don't understand the phrase 'Bow wo...'"

"The dog, Delphine! What is up with the dog! Why is it dressed in people clothes!?"

"He is with the latest candidate. Miricle Girl."

"...screw it. I'll interview the dog too. Why not. Anything for this fiasco to end. Send her in. Send 'it' in. I'm sure it will..."

"...make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

Good lord, how many times has she repeated this now. Is this Karma? Is she being punished for getting these kids hopes up?

Whatever. Questions...

...later...

Okay don't laugh. Damnit, don't laugh. Just ask it with a straight face...

"...so you are the inheritor of the Mantle of Miraculous? And you're telling me that you and the... uh... dog, gained those powers due to the drawing of straws... and not just that but that the idio.. uhm Council of Heroes allowed you to draw two straws instead of one?"

Oh. My. God. You can't make this stuff up. You really can't. Either Vanguard was going to laugh or cry. Maybe both. The night is still young.

"...out of curiosity, have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe that you may not be cut out for this? I mean, the dog is here because of your failure to draw one straw, so he is obviously not supposed to be here... what if you was an accident?"

Okay, too wordy. Make it plain. Make it blunt. "I knew Miraculous. You are NOT her, nor do I feel you deserve her mantle. Prove me wrong. Convince me that you can, in fact, fill her shoes."

...later.

"...okay. But I feel that words aren't good enough. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this totally original and unique simulation, custom made for your abilities, He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

"You have ten seconds. And yes, Miraculous passed this with flying colors!"

No. No she didn't. She failed. Horribly. Each of the five times she tried.

"Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

...it's over. It's over. Oh sweet happiness, it's over.

With a releived sigh, she typed down the final Grade for Miricle Girl (and dog) and then closed the program.

"...ma'am, I can't help but noticed you graded them."

"Yeah. They showed heart, so they deserved a score. Not that it matters. Strike Force Beta is already set. I expect them to be here bright and early next week."

"Yes Ma'am."

"Good night, Delphine. I need sleep. And alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol."

"Good night, Ma'am."

...Power Failure...

Danger: Sudden Power Loss has wiped out current Roster of Strike Force Beta.

...Vanguard unavailiable.
...Delphine Authorized to find replacment Roster due to lack of information.
...only list of the Candidates of this date is availiable. Constructing team based on grades given by Vanguard...

To Be Continued

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

SKINer posted:

"Right... so tell me. What makes 'Charger' different from 'Captain Dinosaur'? Convince me that you're not a boy playing at being a hero... because here on Strikeforce, playtime is over."

For a moment, Charger is struck dead. All of this work to avoid his past, to remake himself, and he’s been seen through in a second? It’s almost enough to make him walk out then and there… but no. That sort of grand-standing and over-reaction is in the past. Besides, Vanguard knew about his past exploits and still offered Charger a fair chance!

“They’re different because… well, if they weren't, you wouldn’t be seeing Charger, you wouldn’t be seeing me at all. Captain Dinosaur was… an arrogant, self-obsessed fool. The idea he might need a team, or do better with a group at his back, would have been laughable. Being a role model, doing good, heroism? None of that meant anything to me back then; it was just about having fun, and not being bored for a few minutes."

“I quit, after that confrontation with Morninglight. I had these powers and I could do so much, but I quit. And not because she was right; I mean she was but… Ugh, it wasn’t because of what she said, it was because someone, anyone, said anything in the first place. Like, how dare she, ruin my fun like that? I quit because I was throwing a tantrum and because being a ’hero’ stopped being fun after that. It took years for me to realise that she was right and that being a hero wasn’t about having fun. It was about doing the right thing, no matter what. That’s why I’m here now. I can do more on a team, working together with others, then I can on my own. I want… I need to prove to myself that, well, playtime IS over.”

SKINer posted:

Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

As soon as Vanguard finished Charger lurched to the side, teleporting and phasing slightly out of existence. For every jump he was only is existence for less then a micro-second, but that was more then enough for his super-senses to fully take in the whole scene.

The hologram was very well-made, but there were a few tell-tale signs that showed it to be a fake. The hostage, for as detailed as she was, lacked a heart-beat. During the many times he had rescued people, either as Captain Dinosaur, Charger or as random good fortune, there had always been a heartbeat to listen to. Well… unless he was already to late. There were a couple of other signs to of course, but the heart beat was the main one.

Another jump forward, another half second past spent on observing the scene. Taking out the Reploid would be secondary, and maybe even unnecessary, to the whole exercise. That sort of thinking would have been impossible all those years ago and it would be just the sort of action Vanguard would be on the lookout for.

Where, where? There! About 30 meters away, a solid looking brick (as solid as a hologram could look under Chargers gaze, anyway). A half second there and back, Charger phases back into existence long enough to hurl the brick into the back of the Reploids head.

He phases forward, beating the brick to it’s target by a full few nano-seconds. With the Reploid distracted by the impact for a few seconds, Charger grabs onto the hostage and…

Whoa there. Is that how normal people see the world? He doesn’t understand what’s happened until the Reploid has already punched him away. He tries and fails to phase back out to correct his momentum; Power-nullification. Half of his time has already passed by the time he impacts on the hard tarmac, the hologram now indistinguishable from the real with the loss of his senses.

The world is moving to fast for him to get a proper read on everything. A second is passing in a second, and Charger is rapidly running out of time. Fortunately the Reploid meets him half way. Well, the full way, as it charges up to Charger (Hah) to deliver another blow.

Things might be going to fast, but Charger has been in the game long enough for his reflexes to kick in. Narrowly avoiding the blow and the renewed loss of his slowly returning powers, in the last few seconds he again goes for the brick, this time aiming for the hand of the arm keeping the hostage in her chokehold. Instead of phasing to the front to make another grab though, he dances to the side and throws himself forward. He is rewarded with the knowledge that he made the right choice, as the Reploid takes a full half-second to understand Charger did not make the same mistake twice. He is not rewarded with success though. Before Charger can get one hand on the hostage, the Reploid recovers and, using the hostage as a mace, slams him back into the road.

Before he can recover from the shock, an alarm blares out. “Hostage injured! Scenario Hostage Rescue Delta has been failed!”

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

SKINer posted:

"So Rosie, you claim that you're not clingy, I'll give you a chance to prove it. Tell me a time that you successful performed a heroic action without the help of your sister?"

Rosie placed a slender finger to her chin in thought. "Ummm..." There had been a few occasions, that time at the museum. Or the camping trip that that dragon showed up to? That was pretty cool. Oh, wait, crap, she need to actually answer the question. "Oh, Um, once I got invited camping. They thought it might do me some good, being away from my Sis. They put me in with all these other kids, who all had powers. I think they wanted me to relate to them. But they weren't on my level. I just wanted the stupid thing to be over. They kept dragging us out on walks, and singing songs around camp fires. I was stupid. But... I guess it was kinda fun. Only a little though." She screws up her face, over exaggerating just how much fun she didn't have.

"So we're on the fifth day, and things are... nice. We were going cannoing on this beautiful lake! All shrouded in mist and stuff! So everyone getting canoes out, and one kid is showing off his power to call animals. Then this dragon shows up out of nowhere like *ROAR!*" Rosie mimics it's flapping wings and gnashing teeth. It's not a very good impression. "Everyone scatters and the dragon thinks we're prey! So it starts trying to hunt us! Everyone was super scared! So then I was all like 'oh man! I'm gonna punch that dragon in the snozz!" And they were all like 'no! It's too dangerous!' and I was all like 'I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!' and they were all like 'don't do it Rosie! You're too cool and awesome!' and I was all like 'I know! And-" She looks up guilty. Realising she'd gotten a little too much into character.

"Um... well... anyway. The dragon started heading towards the campsite, and it was getting real mad! So I got everyone together and made them use their powers so we could beat it there! Then I got these three kids who can make lighting to super charge me! I jumped up into the sky and I hit that dragon with everything I had! *Bchoom!*" She made an explosion hand motion. "It was a robot all along! Sent to try and kidnap the kids for some nefarious scheme! The bad guy flew away in his little escape pod and I dropped like a stone back down to earth. The landing really hurt, but I was okay... everyone made a real big fuss over me. It was kinda embarrassing..." She blushed. A shy smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

"....I never did tell Sis about it. I didn't want her to think It was fun for her to not be around. I don't want her to think I'd abandoned her, or anything!" She brings her story to a close. It was sparse on details. But there was a clear sign, she could be without her sister. But she was resistant, almost scared of the change.

quote:

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail. Of course, your sister has been through a different trial, but I'm not telling you how she did. You are also forbidden to speak to her about yours. Doing so equals failure."

Vanguard leaned back, hoping that her next words didn't sound stilted or repetitive. "You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

Free Roleplay. Describe how Rosie takes down the reploid and saves the hostage. Be as heroic as possible. And feel free to control the Reploid as well, including how he tries to negate your powers

Rosie blinks as the hostage question is thrown at her. Her mind drew a few very important distinctions about the situation in front of her. They were standing in a concrete room. Possibly in the sewers, definately underground. A vent shaft high above them gave a glimmer of light. The Reploid that stood in front of her was some kind of lizard man. He had the hostage hugged to it's scaly body. One clawed hand hovering close to the woman's neck. It's tail was free too, and it's mouth was also an obvious enough weapon. Restraining it would be impossible. Too many limbs, two she could handle, but three? No, that wasn't going to work. Ten seconds before the Reploid strikes and she loses. It was waiting for her to move. Every angle of attack, around from behind, above, below, stright ahead. Each of them would end with falier. No matter how fast Rosie charged, she'd never beat it's reaction time. So Rosie did something crazy.

She sucked in all the heat in the room dropping the temperature to -40 degrees Celsius in less then 2 seconds. It hurt. It hurt a lot. But the cold wave hit the cold blooded Lizard harder. It's reactions slowed, as the heat was stripped from it's body at a rate it's body wasn't built to deal with. Ice crystals start to form in the air. The hostage was warm blooded. Better able to deal with the temperature drop. But even so it was a risky move, but she didn't need to keep it up long. Just long enough. The lizard man starts to lash it's tail out, a blow like that would go right through her defences! Rosie grits her teeth, then all that heat she'd absorbed she blasted out. As light! She turned herself into a living flash bang!

The lizard, already struggling to deal with the lack of heat couldn't react in time to stop itself being blinded! It looked like the hostage had avoided it, but Rosie didn't have time to hang around! She burst forwards! Skidding on the thin ice floor to position herself behind the lizard, punching upwards into the arm holding the hostage, letting the kinetic energy pinpoint it's bone. Disabling the limb. The hostage stumbled forwards, arms outstretched to stop herself from falling. But Rosie couldn't focus on that! She grabbed the tail. Stomped her foot, and swung the frozen blinded Reploid over her head and slammed it into the floor! Hard! She jumped back, hopping in place and pumping out heat as quickly as she could. She was breathing hard. Very hard. She wasn't used to such complicated transference over such a short period of time! The lizard started to move, partly resurrected by the heat, she'd pumped out too much! It started to melt? Then reform! Oh god, that attack did nothing to it! It just turned itself into- ack! It lashed it's tail forward aiming for her throat. Wrapping around it tightly. She'd worn herself out too quick, she needed to recharge, but that probably wouldn't happen before it choked the life out of her. But that wasn't a problem! Rosie let her hop carry her in a short jump through the air, her fist raised high! Ready to bring it down on the target's head like the hammer of Thor! She'd turn it's own choking attack into the charge she needed to end this! She'd just have to fry it!

The hologram cut out. Rosie pinwheeled in place to regain her balance and not punch a hole in the floor! "AHHH!" She cried, startled!

"What was that?! Where'd he go?! Don't tell me he had teleportation powers! She span back to her hostage! "Don't worry miss I'll-!" But the hostage had vanished too... Rosie blinked, confused. Then remembered. Hologram. Duh! She looked sheepishly at Vangard. "Sorry, um, I-I got a little caught up... h-how'd I do?"

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 15, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

SKINer posted:

@Ballad

"...you're kidding. Please tell me you're kidding..."

"I don't understand the confusion Ma'am?"

"We have been tracking this Guitar for going on half a year and some hippy bought it off of Craigslist!?"

"That's what is application states."

"...I'm getting a migrain... please tell me he's the last one."

"...no. You have one more..."

"...whatever. I'm sure I'll be desensitized after this is over. What is the status of the door?"

"Fully repaired, though the costs are quite large..."

"...don't tell me the price, I don't know if I could take an increase in my migrain... just send the guy in..."

And with that, there is a knock, the destruction of another door and the increase of a migrain. Several minutes passes before Vanguard gets up and walks into her personal bathroom.

"Delphine, sound proof the bathroom please."

"Done."

No one heard the unholy string of curses that Vanguard shouted, before she reopened the door and walked back to her desk. "Sorry, I had to use the facilities. Long day and a LOT of candidates."

So, so many candidates.

"I like to say that I was well impressed with your credentials and I'm sure that... that..."

Hands... shaking... eyesight... fading... that goddamn door was bloody expensive...

...later.

Vanguard leaned on her table. "Okay... why did you lie about how you got your powers? What difference does it make that it's from your Guitar?"

She tapped her fingers. "Obviously, you fear something to bring up such a lie. Why are you afraid of people knowing the truth?"

After the answer...

"What you see in front of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this totally original and unique simulation, custom made for your abilities, He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

Revenge. You will pay for for costing me millions of dollars. Oh yes, you will pay...

"You have ten seconds, so showboat at your peril. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

James clears his throat after the question is popped. "I feel like I should address a few things before I answer. First, I don't care what your assistant says, that door was broke when I got here. Not my fault. Second, I'm not a hippy. Hippies are weird. I'm a metalhead." He lets that sink in a moment. "You've probably guessed, but I am actually a meta. Just... Really low-grade. If I'm listening, I have enhanced hearing. Perfect pitch, enhanced hearing range, you get the idea. Only works if I'm actually focusing on it though, so... Not actually all that great."

"But yeah. You wanna know why I don't let people know my powers are in my guitar? Because I play D&D." A beat. "Right. Normal person. Anyway, in D&D, if you lean on an item for most of your character's power, your DM's gonna make sure that someone, somewhere is gonna take it away from you. If I went public that the Battleaxe is where all the power is, some jackhole would try to swipe it and rip off my rep. And he'd probably end up breaking the thing trying, because s'far as I know it doesn't work for anyone else anyways." James shrugs. "So... Yeah."

(I'll be filling in the RP portion later.)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'll have to redact my app too. For some reason I just really can't get into the proper mindset for this. Sorry.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SKINer posted:

@Ghost Eater

"...okay, I'm going to go out and say it: Strikeforce don't have a good reputation with the Ghost Eaters of the past. There has been a lot of supernatural threats, Gwisin obviously behind most of them, and Strikeforcer and Ghosteaters in the past has always butted heads as to how to properly handle said threats. The supernatural, as you well know, is a touchy subject."

"If you were accepted onto the team..." HA! "...you would be the very first Ghost Eater to make it in. So tell me... how would you bridge the gap between us and your Legacy?"

I guess this kind of explains why Dad wasn't thrilled with me joining Strikeforce. It was really only because of Grandma insisting that he agreed to it. I think of how to answer the question, while being honest. Well, as honest as I can be.

"So, uh...I would work to make sure that both sides have a say in how taking those kinds of threats go down. As a Ghost Eater I have knowledge, expertise, and a reputation with the supernatural side of this world. Bringing that to Strikeforce could only help. I will make sure that, as a team, we agree on the action we would take. Working with Strikeforce and being able to combine our efforts would be beneficial for both of us."

I think that sounds good. I have to admit though, if it came down to it I'd probably go with the Ghost Eater way of doing things. I don't think saying that is going to help my chances though, so I'll just...kind of keep quiet about that hypothetical scenario.

SKINer posted:

She leaned forward. "I purposely chose this very scenario because I'm curious on how ytour powers will work in a situation that you will almost always find yourself in... IF you make this team. You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

quote:

As she speaks I look around. Good, some shadows near the Reploid. When the timer starts, I blend into a nearby shadow, invisible to anyone. Gotta hurry. I focus on the Reploid's mind, confusing and distracting him. Then, I step into the shadow, and move to the shadows behind him. But when I attempt to step out...I can't. It's like running into a wall. I stare for a moment and try again, before realizing he's looking at me. But he shouldn't be! The mind clouding should be making him too dazed to even focus on much of anything, let alone know where I am! I start looking around again, trying to find something I can do but then he kicks where I am and I go flying back and out of the first shadow, falling onto the ground. I scramble to my feet and that's when I hear the timer go off.

I failed.

I want to say how it's not fair, in a real situation I would have had teammates to back me up or distract him and possibly known about his ability to stop or ignore my powers beforehand. It wouldn't be like this. But if Dad heard I whined about failing a simple test from Strikeforce he'd never let me hear the end of it. The mask helps in making sure no one can see my facial expression.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

"Concertmageddon?"

"Yes, that is what the incident is called."

"...who came up with that stupid name? I mean, people died and they dishonor them by naming it like a bad B movie?"

"Human behavior is perplexing to me sometimes. For example your interview process so far has been..."

"For their own good, Delphine. I feel for Xenon, but sometimes hearts need to be broken for them to move on in life. She needs to learn the truth."

Sigh... just how many of these kids, were there? Anyway, questions. Yeah.

I sit down at the desk hesitantly, almost as if I'm not sure this is the right thing to do. Damnit, Xee... I shake my head slightly, mentally refocusing myself. This is what I should do - what I need to do. I shrug my shoulders a bit to calm myself, then settle into the chair. These nerves I'm feeling - they're hard to ignore. Worse than any concert - but it's because this is more important. This really matters.

quote:

"...so, you mentioned earlier about your parents death. Tell me... if, for the good of justice and Strikeforce, you were required to let go of your anger at the incident... say, work with the people responsible for "Concertmegeddon"..."

A headache was forming. Such a stupid name... "...would you? Convince me that you speak the truth."

I simply stare at the interviewer for a cold second. Let go of my anger? My heart stops simply at the thought. Shakily, I start to respond, "I... I mean - I certainly understand the difference between charging forward alone for a personal vendetta and working as a team..." I pause, trying to wrap my head around the question. I look up suddenly, matching the gaze of the interviewer, "I'll be honest, even the concept that 'justice' would demand ignoring what happened to my family... it isn't easy. It's unthinkable. The circumstances would have to be... I can't even imagine what. But... if you're asking me is whether I'd get somebody on my team hurt because of my own pursuit of justice - or whether I'd let somebody innocent suffer - then the answer is no. I want to find who killed my parents - and yes, a small part of me definitely wants them to feel the same kind of pain - but I'm not like whoever did it. I don't hurt people indiscriminately. I... I'm a hero. I want to be, at least. If you'll let me."

quote:

"...this scenario is uniquely tied to you. No other candidate has ran through it. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

She was getting amused at this. They tried. Bravely. But they failed. Not even strike force has passed this. What hope did these kids have? "You have ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

The room fades away and suddenly I'm on a street. I pause to wonder at the technology involved - but as the interviewer explains, I don't have the time to think any further. Hostage! Rescue! Go!

I spend one second focusing - like I always do. The surroundings fall away - replaced with a precise, steady drumbeat and mellow tones flowing around me. The ambient hum of an engine below. I add in a vocal track, escalating beats, synth. The soundtrack of the next nine seconds becomes clear. I spring into action.

"Halt!" I shout at the top of my lungs while I stomp my foot. In the few training scenarios I've had the chance to practice in, the sudden noise always throws off the hostage taker, especially when it comes from a relatively small person like myself. But, of course, there's more to it. I reach out with my powers, sensing the precise moment my foot smacks onto the concrete. There - the compression of air into microscopic holes dotting the surface. Compression - pressure - energy - noise. I can feel it - and I can use it. So I do.

My power-infused stomp launches me up into the air, diagonal to the Replicant, and directly against the wall of a nearby building. A deli, I note, as I start to run along the wall to close on the Replicant. In my head, the music crescendoes into a chorus - on my feet, the same power that launched me into the air is moving in reverse, serving as friction to keep my feet firmly attached to the wall. I reach the end of the wall and leap again - this time to just barely reach the overhead signpost of the deli. In one fluid motion, I launch myself higher into the air all while tearing the post from its wall mount. I'm now a good dozen feet in the air - and heading directly for the robobaddie. I raise my improvised weapon high into the air while shouting again "Stop now!" The Replicant returns a blank look back to me - just as my secret plan unfolds.

Remember that first shout? Well - that's my real attack - everything else is just a diversion. I let the sound waves pass the Replicant unaltered - but as soon as they passed, I've been nudging them here and there - building up, echoing, amplifying. Timed perfectly to hit this rear end in a top hat from behind - a solid wall of sound perfectly built to knock it on its robotic rear end. A wide smile crosses my face as I dive towards the machine - this is working out great! What could go wrong?

Well - as you've probably guessed - a lot. For one, my timing is still a little off - the blast hits from behind a little too early, before I'm quite in position to follow up with a smack from my post. For two - well, the drat thing doesn't have ears! The blast - tuned for human attackers - instead simply nudges the bot a few millimeters out of its stoic stance. My smile falls - and so do I. With little effort, it reaches up and bats me aside, sending me tumbling down the road. Failure hits me harder than pain - no fair!

Grunting, I struggle back to my feet, knowing the time limit's up. I look down at a scrape on my arm - then off to the side where the interviewer watches smugly. "You know... that worked out a lot better in my head," I say with a pained smile.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SKINer posted:

@Miricle Girl (and dog)

"...wait, what is that Bow wow doing here?"

"I don't understand the phrase 'Bow wo...'"

"The dog, Delphine! What is up with the dog! Why is it dressed in people clothes!?"

"He is with the latest candidate. Miricle Girl."

"...screw it. I'll interview the dog too. Why not. Anything for this fiasco to end. Send her in. Send 'it' in. I'm sure it will..."

"...make a great contribution to the team if you make it through screening. Competition is tight and we are on a tight schedule, so I have prepared a couple of questions..."

Good lord, how many times has she repeated this now. Is this Karma? Is she being punished for getting these kids hopes up?

Whatever. Questions...

...later...

Okay don't laugh. Damnit, don't laugh. Just ask it with a straight face...

"...so you are the inheritor of the Mantle of Miraculous? And you're telling me that you and the... uh... dog, gained those powers due to the drawing of straws... and not just that but that the idio.. uhm Council of Heroes allowed you to draw two straws instead of one?"

Oh. My. God. You can't make this stuff up. You really can't. Either Vanguard was going to laugh or cry. Maybe both. The night is still young.

"...out of curiosity, have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe that you may not be cut out for this? I mean, the dog is here because of your failure to draw one straw, so he is obviously not supposed to be here... what if you was an accident?"

Okay, too wordy. Make it plain. Make it blunt. "I knew Miraculous. You are NOT her, nor do I feel you deserve her mantle. Prove me wrong. Convince me that you can, in fact, fill her shoes."

...later.

Miracle Hound snarls with sharp teeth. o O (Are you just trying to make her feel bad-)

Miracle Girl reaches out with her arm to catch Hound. "Down. It doesn't matter whether or not I should have gotten it... just that I have it now. I have to be worthy, gosh, I don't have a choice. Not like I can give it up." She remains steady, staring as she adds, "And each of the council members saved lives in their day... I mean, they may not be modern examples of heroes, they may not be perfect, but they deserve respect." She shakes her head. "I can't just replace her, but... I hope I can be somebody she'd be proud of. That they'll be proud of. That's all I can say for myself."

SKIN0er posted:

"...okay. But I feel that words aren't good enough. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

"What you see infront of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. In this totally original and unique simulation, custom made for your abilities, He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

"You have ten seconds. And yes, Miraculous passed this with flying colors!"

No. No she didn't. She failed. Horribly. Each of the five times she tried.

"Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

As the simulation loads up, she tenses at the figure before her, she looks over to Miracle Hound, whispering to him, "Circle 'round, if they let go of the hostage, I want to you nail them - even if I'm in danger."

As the dog starts to move away and around carefully, Miracle Girl walks forward. "Power counters, probably? Gee, that means there aren't many ways to solve this, except..." She looks to the reploid as she steps forward. "Okay. I'd like to make a deal. We'll trade. You let the hostage go, I'll take her place. I give you my word. Please.", she says simply and quickly, only having ten seconds. Was it even programmed for a social approach? Was there somebody that might judge it anyway? It seemed like she was being set up to fail, but just trying to throw powers at it seemed like a bad idea. She had to hope the test was more open-ended than it seemed.... and that the magic word mattered.

The ten-second window of failure beeps off, and she looks away, waiting for the tester's response.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

Tricky- Waiting for answers
Oscar- Done
Yami- Redacted app
Frgr- Done
Arashio- Done
Helio- Done
Anti- Waiting for answers
Lazy- Waiting for completion (need free rp section)
ARB- Done

Since I have five completes, I'm going to put a deadline of one more week for you to completly finish the question and Roleplay. If I don't hear from those I'm waiting for
by October 19th (Yes, I'm aware that's a thursday), I'm moving on from there.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

SKINer posted:

"...okay Selene, what do 'you' think of Alcemissy claims. Is Rosie clingy? If your duties in Strike Force require you to work independently of Rosie... for example: You make it in and she doesn't... how would you break the news to her? And no, she can't 'tag along' if she doesn't have credentials."

I tap my chin thoughtfully. Make it in without Rosie...? That was ridiculous! We were a team, we were the Yue Sisters! It was like one of those businessy things that people talked about all the time. Syzergy? Sin... sinergetics? Oh, right, synergy! Put together, we're more than just the sum of our parts. She's got all the crazy power tricks, and I'm crazy good in a fight! Still... that probably wasn't the answer that Vanguard was looking for. I needed to really blow her socks off... especially after that door mess. Whoops.

I finally say, "Well, I think we're fine. Alcemissy is just jealous that she's alone all the time. I mean, we're sisters! It's totally normal that we're best friends and basically inseperable. She's the only one who really gets what I'm going through after that whole, y'know, alien thing. And I'm the same for her! So, no, I don't think she's clingy. We just..." My smile fades a bit. "It's tough, okay? It's tough and nobody seems to see past the powers. Not anymore."

"So, what'd happen if Strike Force split us up...? Well, I guess we'd have to figure it out. I think we can do it. I'd just have to write her every night and call her when I could and tell her everything that was happening. I'd probably say something like, 'Rosie, I know this is going to be tough! But it's really important! We need to make sure that what happened to us isn't about to happen to anyone else. That's why I've gotta do it!' Something like that, you know?"

For a moment I debate reminding Vanguard of our mental connection, but before I can say anything...

quote:

The room phases out and soon Selene is standing on a city street. In front of her a Robot as a woman in a rear choke hold.

"What you see in front of you is one of our holographic Training Reploids. He is designed to harm the hostage if you are too indecisive. In this scenario, he has a hostage, and a frontal assault will surely harm her. If the hostage is harmed, you fail."

At this moment a spark of concern entered her head. Crap, she nearly forgot the one fly in the ointment!

"You are forbidden to speak about this trial to your sister. Doing so is an automatic failure of the screening process."

She let that sink in. "You have Ten seconds. Save the hostage and take down the Reploid. Timer starts now!"

...the simulation starts. I take quick stock of things. Alright, chokehold, robot, deserted street... I grin and crack my knuckles as I heft up my pick. So a frontal assault is out, huh? Nothing said that I couldn't fake one, though! I dash towards the reploid, dragging my pick through the asphalt of the street as I do. Ripping it upward, I send a jagged rift racing towards the robot. I let out a small grin. Easy! I'd just get the hostage when it staggers and then—

And then things don't go like I expected. The humanoid robot briefly staggers, sure, but then it shoots out a bunch of extra limbs to anchor itself against the surrounding buildings. I skip backward a few steps, stopping the charge that should have grabbed the hostage, then hurl the pick at one of the buildings. It practically explodes as I dash to the other side of the street and kick my way through the other building's supports. If it was going to brace against the buildings, I'd just need to take away its supports...! The street was soon choked with smoke and dust. Great! That'd give me an edge when I launch my next attack.

Dropping into a squat, still hidden in the midst of the crumbled building, I launch into the air and erupt out over the cloud of debris. I'm going to kick it to pieces! No stupid robot can stand up to me in a contest of strength. As I plummet down towards it, the reploid's extra arms start shooting at me like javelins! No fair! How come it saw me coming?! It's like it has eyes on the back of its head or something! That's totally cheating! My foot meets first one, then three, then like fifteen arms! I put all the power that my strength, gravity, and everything else can provide, but it flexes back... flexes back... and then knocks me away when they all snap taut!

Shhhh... Shoot! I've gotta be running out of time. That means it's going to be all or nothing. This thing seems like it can take everything I've been dishing out, but what if I get real tricky? Rosie's not the only one who can fight smart with our powers! I've been storing all that kinetic energy that's been getting tossed around and I'm just about to burst! I'm going to show it just who it's been messing with!

I charge it from behind. I'm moving like lightning, sparks crackling off me and smoke swirling around as I cut towards it with impossible speed. The air around my left fist is completely still, pieces of debris icing over as soon as they come near. My right fist is cloaked in wisps of flame. In an instant, I'm behind the reploid. I pummel it with an endless rush of punches! The robot's body starts to dent and deform under the assault, the temperature difference weakening its frame and attempts to repair itself. I just need a little bit more...! I'm not going to make it before the limit unless I go for broke!

I hold my hands together, the two extremes of temperatures almost vibrating as I lock them in place. I'm going to bet it all on one attack!

With one last breath, I charge forward! The street explodes with the force of my attack, the projectors starting to smoke and spark a bit from the strain of containing it. All that, and... I connect with nothing. I have just a moment to turn around and take in the situation before time runs out. The reploid and the hostage are both fuzzy and see-through. Ghost powers?! What the heck!

I shoot Vanguard a look, maybe like you'd get if you bit into a caramel apple and found out it was a caramel onion instead, as the simulation fades. What the heck was that about!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I'm gonna pull out. A lot of stuff has come up, and I'm being pressed to keep up with what's already on my plate. Thanks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SKINer posted:

@Jade Jewel
"...hmm...you're here to help your world most of all. I see..."

Vanguard leaned back. "But tell me, have you ever heard of sacrifice? Many a time, a member had to give up things, their social life, their dreams, loved ones, even their very lives, for the greater good. Your people are dying... but what if you had to choose between Strikeforce or your own world? What would you choose?"

This was a very unfair question, and Vaguard knew it perfectly well. Yet, she dropped the bomb, all the same. Her eyes looked into Jade's, expecting an answer.

The dark green flush of shock and indignation on Jade Jewel's face made clear, across species boundaries, that she too was shocked by the question. "I... that's difficult. It depends, I believe, on the circumstances. If I were put in a situation where my own people were doomed without my choice, completely doomed? I would have to act to save them, of course. Forgive me, but I trust that Strikeforce versus entire worlds would be an obvious decision for anyone. But... if I had to choose between an opportunity for my people and the safety and integrity of Strikeforce, and of Earth? ... I am not the only Ovanshan traveler. I would trust in my colleagues and do what had to be done for Earth."

Was it an adequate answer? She didn't know. She wasn't sure she could. Should she have uncategorically said that she would sacrifice everything for Earth? Because... that was a lie, even if it was a lie that she suspected those on Earth might like to hear. Better, though, to be honest.

quote:

...and later.

"I think, you need a taste of what you'll be up against. Delphine, load up Hostage Rescue Delta!"

"The Reploid is some of our sharpest technology, so I'm sure you'll have fun."

It took all of her self control not to laugh.

Indecision was fatal, and Jade Jewel knew she had no time to waste. She began by trying to focus her mental powers, seeking a way into the Reploid's mind, even as she began to circle the beast and look for an avenue of assault --

Nothing. Flat, unnatural blankness: not the sign of an empty mind, or an alien one, but of a mind that resisted her powers. Was that the nature of the Reploid, or was it the fact that she was trying to mind-read a hologram? No time to know. With the Reploid firmly between her and the hostage, it was safe to act. Jade Jewel flicked off the safeties on the energy armament installed in her arm before lancing out with a series of pale blue pulses, energy blasts with EMP potential, if the Reploid wasn't properly shielded.

Just as she began to fire, the Reploid's head swivelled 180 degrees to meet her gaze, as if it had been waiting for her. Its arms swung in their sockets, releasing the panicked hostage, who shrieked and ran. Its attention entirely on its would-be assailant, the Reploid's arms shimmered with an energy of its own, deflecting the bolts at Jade faster than she could dodge --

"Ten-second limit elapsed," echoed the voice of the simulator control. "Reploid threat not neutralized. Hostage Rescue Delta failed."

With that, it all dissipated: the Reploid, the hostage, and the careening energy bolts. Jade Jewel landed in a three-point stance with her gun-arm still raised before she realized what had happened. The hostage had escaped, but... she hadn't disabled the Reploid. It had still, quite firmly, had the upper hand, and little she had done had showed any capacity to even faze it. Not an impressive performance.

Shoddy, Ilash-kai, she told herself. Shoddy. She had to do better. Too much depended on it. She'd been having too much of a good time, hadn't she? And now... this. What was done was done; all she could do was await judgment.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Picks:

Miracle girl (& hound)
Jade Jewel
Selene Yue
Rosie Yue
Charger

This was tough as there was exceptional potential in all the apps, but picks had to be made.

We are at the next phase, your 'when we first teamed up'

Selene, you're up. Tell us about the dangerous villIan you all were forced to take down...

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Oh sweet, I won't have to gate-crash the game.

Commiserations to those who were unsuccessful. :(

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah!! We beat the crap out of the diabolical, no-good, totally evil Queen Electro-Plantessa! She's always talking a big game about how she's some sort of champion of the Earth, assigned to get revenge on society for, like, pollution and stuff. I don't buy it at all! I think she's just mad that nobody thinks she's a real queen. Heck, I think she's kind of mad that she's a giant plant lady and they don't make nice clothes in her size! Anyways, she was real tough, but me and Rosie and the rest were even tougher!! Heck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
@Everyone

So a giant plant lady? What was her plan, exactly? How did you all stop her?

@Jade Jewel
You all didn't trust each other. Why? What specific circumstance changed that?

• Locked thread