Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Remember your mentally crumbling neighbor or relative or woman shouting in the street in the 90s and 00s about "Morgellons"? It might not have been real then, but we did it! We made it real, minus the imaginary skin fibers and plus real gut fibers! Turns out turning bottles into microscopic fibers was a shortsighted idea!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/20/microfibers-plastic-pollution-oceans-patagonia-synthetic-clothes-microbeads posted:

The first time professor Sherri Mason cut open a Great Lakes fish, she was alarmed at what she found. Synthetic fibers were everywhere. Under a microscope, they seemed to be “weaving themselves into the gastrointestinal tract”. Though she had been studying aquatic pollution around the Great Lakes for several years, Mason, who works for the State University of New York Fredonia, had never seen anything like it.

...researchers at the University of California at Santa Barbara found that, on average, synthetic fleece jackets release 1.7 grams of microfibers each wash. It also found that older jackets shed almost twice as many fibers as new jackets. The study was funded by outdoor clothing manufacturer Patagonia, a certified B Corp that also offers grants for environmental work.

Gregg Treinish, founder and executive director of Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation, which oversees Barrows’s microfibers work, said studies have led him to stop eating anything from the water.

“I don’t want to have eaten fish for 50 years and then say, ‘Oh, whoops’,” Treinish said.

“It absolutely has the potential to move up the food chain,” said Chelsea Rochman, a postdoctoral fellow in conservation biology at the University of California at Davis and the University of Toronto. She cautioned, however, against a rush to avoid fish: “I think no one’s really asked questions directly about that yet.”

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es201811s
https://brenmicroplastics.weebly.com/project-findings.html
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep14340
https://www.adventurescientists.org/microplastics.html

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Typically, the GI tract is removed from fish before consumption.

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

So what, that's just extra roughage to keep us regular

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tricky D posted:

first post thread killa

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I'll be safe I only eat cheesy potatoes.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Bob James posted:

I'll be safe I only eat cheesy potatoes.

boxed or from scratch

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Tricky D posted:

could you not read five lines down or do you have fibers in your eyes

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tricky D posted:

Eat poo poo!

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

could you not read five lines down or do you have fibers in your eyes

I don't know how to read. What's this thread about? What did you say?

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tricky D posted:

Look at this snooty gently caress, too good to eat fish asholles.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

How do I go about asking a mod to change the title to make clear it's the fish that have the tum tum fibers instead of posting it right below the top of the OP

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 21, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

just lol if you don't have an exit strategy for when all these problems come home to roost

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So this has literally nothing to do with Morgellons except the word "fibers"

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
yeah SUNY Fredonia is certainly one of the premier researLOL nope.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guy Goodbody posted:

So this has literally nothing to do with Morgellons except the word "fibers"

that and also massive crippling stupidity

naem
May 29, 2011

*looks up from big tub of fish guts I've been shoveling handfuls of into mouth*

*confused UUUHNH? noise*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I also never eat any kind of berry because think about it... all those tiny seeds. Who knows where they could be hiding? They could be driving themselves into the walls of your intestine as we speak, slowly making you sicker and sicker until finally you start bleeding from every inch of skin as thousands of tiny seeds force themselves out through your pores and you die in horrible agony

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Fish's get stitches

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I also never eat any kind of berry because think about it... all those tiny seeds. Who knows where they could be hiding? They could be driving themselves into the walls of your intestine as we speak, slowly making you sicker and sicker until finally you start bleeding from every inch of skin as thousands of tiny seeds force themselves out through your pores and you die in horrible agony

im sorry your wife made you buy bpA free bottles. maybe take it up with her

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ah man. people have talked all about microbeads of plastic in the ocean

I didn't even think about the havoc that little fibrous shreds of plastic could wreak

that's a good point OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Maybe the plastic lining your gut will protect you from the mercury and you can eat more fish. The lord works in mysterious ways

• Locked thread