Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
We've all seen things that are marketed as food, but for which we have had our doubts. Tang immediately comes to mind, as does at least half of the Arby's menu. But once in a while you encounter something that just completely stops you flat. That was the case for me on Monday, when I encountered a '"food" called "Unflavored Brown Color Chunks".

Yes, it is a soy-based meat substitute. It always struck me as odd that people who profess to not want to eat meat have so much food where the intent is imitate meat as closely as possible.*

What sort of weird food-like items have you encountered recently?

Oh, and if Brown is too intense for you, they also offer an Uncolored version.

*I understand the ethical dilemma that many vegetarians have, in that they like the idea of meat, but don't like the idea of factory farms, etc. I just find it amusing that vegetarians often work so hard to imitate something they refuse to eat.

Seeing "Unflavored Brown Color Chunks" also puts me in mind of the "Food" that appeared in the film "Repo Man".

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
looks like eating that would make me ..... blow chunks :grin:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

that was my nickname in high school

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
but honestly ehat is that supposed to be a replacement for, I'd much rather just get some tofu when I am not going to eat meat, its fine and normal and not weird as heck

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's TVP. It's a meat replacement and a meat extender. Better than wood pulp, I think.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I have always wondered why people who don't eat meat need a meat replacement. Whose meat are they replacing?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Pretty sure it's in a lot of meat products already. Like ground meat stuff served en masse.
How much was it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
or as europeans know it, "american chocolate"

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

looks like eating that would make me ..... blow chunks :grin:

Nooner posted:

but honestly ehat is that supposed to be a replacement for, I'd much rather just get some tofu when I am not going to eat meat, its fine and normal and not weird as heck
On the rare occasions when I visit the trash GBS forum I'm confronted almost every time with the fact that you're somehow a star poster here despite your posts being so stupid and bad

Good for you man

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Pick posted:

or as europeans know it, "american chocolate"

american chocolate isn't unflavoured, it has a flavour, and that flavour is "weird"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

On the rare occasions when I visit the trash GBS forum I'm confronted almost every time with the fact that you're somehow a star poster here despite your posts being so stupid and bad

Good for you man

werent you the dude with the dino av sucking the dicks? also i am not a star im a bad poster who likes to make bad posts a lot, hth (:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Fake meat weirded me out for the longest. I don't get why...like, if you aren't grossed out by meat, why don't you eat it?
I like stuff that isn't pretending to be meat. A bean patty, tofu. I have had nice fake orange chicken at one of those cult vegan restaurants -- man, I didn't like that sort of thing before, but turns out anything fried and served with a nice sauce is usually delicious!

The fake 'deli slices' gross me out, but I didn't want to eat the real deal to begin with.

The weirdest of them all to me are the hot dogs, because hot dog -- the basic kind -- most of that stuff is seasoning. So sometimes eating a 'not' dog is just...I keep wondering if it really is meat.

In closing, TVP is probably in meat chili you eat already. Seriously.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Also shouts out to the OP for being so loving old and stupid that he can't wrap his head around "brown color chunks" meaning "chunks of vegetable protein that are brown colored [for aesthetic consideration in vegan meal options]" and instead stopping in his old gay tracks in the supermarket to take a photo of these INSANE "color chunks" the millennials are eating now with the walmart pay as you go smartphone his dipshit kids bought him so they can never ever call him on it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

werent you the dude with the dino av sucking the dicks? also i am not a star im a bad poster who likes to make bad posts a lot, hth (:

Shut the gently caress up you unfunny retard

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Also shouts out to the OP for being so loving old and stupid that he can't wrap his head around "brown color chunks" meaning "chunks of vegetable protein that are brown colored [for aesthetic consideration in vegan meal options]" and instead stopping in his old gay tracks in the supermarket to take a photo of these INSANE "color chunks" the millennials are eating now with the walmart pay as you go smartphone his dipshit kids bought him so they can never ever call him on it

lmao chunks is a funny name for a food product that people are trying to sell, you're a total retard for typing that

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Every time I click this awful forum I cop a probation because you are all so god drat terrible

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

:hai:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Every time I click this awful forum I cop a probation because you are all so god drat terrible

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

:thumbsup:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

lol nice meltdown

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

You're supposed to trade it to small starving orphans in exchange for key intel on secessionist terrorists OP

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I.C. posted:

Fake meat weirded me out for the longest. I don't get why...like, if you aren't grossed out by meat, why don't you eat it?
I like stuff that isn't pretending to be meat. A bean patty, tofu. I have had nice fake orange chicken at one of those cult vegan restaurants -- man, I didn't like that sort of thing before, but turns out anything fried and served with a nice sauce is usually delicious!

The fake 'deli slices' gross me out, but I didn't want to eat the real deal to begin with.

The weirdest of them all to me are the hot dogs, because hot dog -- the basic kind -- most of that stuff is seasoning. So sometimes eating a 'not' dog is just...I keep wondering if it really is meat.

In closing, TVP is probably in meat chili you eat already. Seriously.

With hot dogs it's mostly a social thing. My friends are having a BBQ and eating lovely sausages like true Australians so I bring my veggie sausages (which we call crayons). I generally dislike fake meats though. Anything aiming to imitate red meat tastes disgusting, both in and of itself and also because it often tastes like actual meat which I dislike. Fake chicken can actually be pretty good though, but not very healthy so I don't have it all that often.

These chunks look like they are probably intended to be used similarly to the more familiar granulated form of textured vegetable protein, where it is meant to replicate function but not really taste of meat in things like asian noodle dishes and stews.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I am sorry to interrupt this thread, but we have an urgent breaking news story directly related to brown chunks:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/colorado-springs-mad-pooper/

Colorado Springs law enforcement is on the hunt for a woman known only as: THE MAD POOPER

Mother/victim posted:

They are like, ‘There’s a lady taking a poop!’ So I come outside, and I’m like … ‘are you serious? Are you really taking a poop right here in front of my kids?!’ She’s like, ‘Yeah, sorry!'”

Have any of you seen this woman? Be on the lookout for THE MAD POOPER!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Unflavored brown chunks are people! It's made of people!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
eat a chunk

could be an insult based on these chunks

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

eat a chunk

could be an insult based on these chunks
chunks off to ya

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

a hole-y ghost posted:

chunks off to ya

chunk off chunk face

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Good for you man

Congrats on being the funniest poster in the thread.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

chunk off chunk face
I'll be a chunky's uncle :wth:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Wasn't Chunky the fat, little doll with the soul of a serial killer trapped inside?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
vegan pulled pork sandwich

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'll be a chunky's uncle :wth:

lmao

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
vegan bacon #freefromham

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
It's what they feed to political prisoners without going bankrupt

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Elsa posted:

I had one made out of lentils while back and it was okay, all you could taste was the sauce

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

genesplicer posted:

Wasn't Chunky the fat, little doll with the soul of a serial killer trapped inside?

I think you're right

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

genesplicer posted:

No, that's Lowtax.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Elsa posted:

where's the pork?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DoctorJones posted:

where's the pork?
Why don't you ask your mother :twisted:

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

Why don't you ask your mother :twisted:
I tried to tell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

drat those are some chunks.

• Locked thread