Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Problem description: The laptop froze up after I gave the CPU fan a couple of taps because it was buzzing. I did a hard shutdown. When rebooting, it got stuck on "Starting Windows."

Attempted fixes:
Reboot / start windows normally - didn't work, sticks on "Starting Windows"
Startup Repair - froze after about an hour
Does not give me the option for safe mode, only Start Windows Normally and Startup Repair

Plugged the HD into another computer, exists fine. The main partition shows all of the folders and most of them work, but it wont go when I try to open up the subfolders under Users.
I ran chkdsk, this took about 4 hours and found a bunch of errors. It ended and said "cannot continue in read only mode." I did not run chkdsk /f or /r.

I plugged the HD back into the laptop and am running Startup Repair off of the Windows Install Disc. This has been running for 16 hours now and seems to be active. The bar is still moving and its "attempting repairs..." and I can move the mouse.

Did I crash the HD head into the platter? Is it worth running chkdsk /r? Is it even possible to image this drive so I can copy to a new one?

Recent changes: I smacked my cpu fan because the bearing is going out and it was buzzing.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs: HP Probook 6460b

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The first thing to do would be to copy any important files off of that drive.

Then run the portable zip edition of CDI to verify HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If the drive shows caution/bad then it needs to be replaced. If it shows good then you can run CHKDSK /R

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zogo posted:

The first thing to do would be to copy any important files off of that drive.

Then run the portable zip edition of CDI to verify HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If the drive shows caution/bad then it needs to be replaced. If it shows good then you can run CHKDSK /R

I got a caution.

Is this even imageable at this point?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I got a caution.

Is this even imageable at this point?

Caution means that the drive is failing and that you don't want to use it more going forward.

You just want to get all of the data off of it that you can.

• Locked thread