Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As the OP says. i was contacted on LinkedIn a few weeks ago by someone from The AR Group and asking if I would be interested in it. They were pretty scant on the details so I did some internet detective work and dug up this: http://theargroup.org/ as well as the password for the About Us page (it's "victory"). Everything else is password protected except the contact section which is just a form.

From the About Us page:

quote:

Our organization is an elite team utilizing collective experiences and strengths. We know all of us are smarter and stronger than one of us. Our partners focus on contributing to an environment that allows one to improve their life while learning from a mentor who has successfully gone before them. Wisdom is gained through others' experiences. In today’s corporate world, people simply are not getting ahead and crave true mentorship.

We utilize opportunities with well-known companies to create Plan B income streams. The world talks about diversifying savings yet virtually no one talks about diversifying income. People are more connected than ever with their devices, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter circles. However, many professionals do not have an environment or a proven program to harness the potential they already have before them. An additional income is similar to carrying a spare tire for your car. It’s not that you expect a tire to go out, but in case one does, there is a spare so you aren’t left stranded. You may feel you already have a great career. Many people on our team do as well; but even Cadillacs and Mercedes carry spare tires.

Pictures can speak louder than words; enjoy the images captured by our partners. The AR Group is helping people take personal responsibility with a proven track record while making an impact in the world. We have a common goal of coaching others how to live in Victory. If you would like more information about what we do, simply go to the “Contact Us” page and let us know who referred you, we will get you access to more information. We encourage ambitious individuals to inquire when “average” is no longer good enough.

Thanks again for visiting.

I haven't been asked to buy anything yet, but I do know that's it's probably a long sell. Build up a relationship with an individual and then ask them to invest in something or other. The asker gets a cut, and the people above them and so on until it reaches the actual own of the investment who actually sees all of the profits with none of the liabilities. That's my hypothesis though. I'm wondering if I should try and stay on the hook long enough to get more passwords and then share all of the secret content or see if some more tech savy goon can crack it instead

Also, post some stories of Pyramid Schemes or MLMs because why the gently caress not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
years ago I started a new job and the exciting thing was that everyone was my age there. they seemed like actual cool people outside of work, so I started to buddy up with them. I started being cool with one guy, but then i realized he was only being cool with me because he wanted me to join his MLM team. Then I just sorta stopped talking to him and made friends with the other folks. a week before he quit the dayjob, he called the manager the n word.

my very first job offer I got when I was like, 19, was from some company called Cutco. They called me up one day and told me they had wonderful news, I could make 15/hr! A week before the interview, I drove to the place and figured out what was up. I never showed up for the interview and I blocked their number. Weeks later some of my facebook friends were taking selfies with their cutco acceptance letters or whatever. weeks later they silently deleted the status and photos.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 25, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Utilize. Done reading.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Utilize. Done reading.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Do it, I think you got the chop

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh no, according to GBS if you're a woman you're gonna fall for this.

poo poo now I saw it. Time to MLM my little pink heart out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Xelkelvos posted:

As the OP says. i was contacted on LinkedIn a few weeks ago by someone from The AR Group and asking if I would be interested in it. They were pretty scant on the details so I did some internet detective work and dug up this: http://theargroup.org/ as well as the password for the About Us page (it's "victory"). Everything else is password protected except the contact section which is just a form.

From the About Us page:

I haven't been asked to buy anything yet, but I do know that's it's probably a long sell. Build up a relationship with an individual and then ask them to invest in something or other. The asker gets a cut, and the people above them and so on until it reaches the actual own of the investment who actually sees all of the profits with none of the liabilities. That's my hypothesis though. I'm wondering if I should try and stay on the hook long enough to get more passwords and then share all of the secret content or see if some more tech savy goon can crack it instead

Also, post some stories of Pyramid Schemes or MLMs because why the gently caress not.

You do realize you can earn up to 20,000 dollars a month?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Scathach posted:

Oh no, according to GBS if you're a woman you're gonna fall for this.

poo poo now I saw it. Time to MLM my little pink heart out.

Keg posted:

GBS hates women

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mentoship

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Reasonable goon:
"I've noticed a trend in my life where women have a higher tendency to join all those self-destructive MLMs. Oh look here's a study that also confirms it. Maybe we should also use this data to help people not fall for them with an emphasis on outreach to women"

Translation for idiot reactionary goons:
"RAWR GBS SAYS THAT ALL WOMEN JOIN MLMS #GBSHATESWOMEN"

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Tell them to suck your drat balls then post a picture of that pug carrying a hamburger with his mouth.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

wide stance posted:

Reasonable goon:
"I've noticed a trend in my life where women have a higher tendency to join all those self-destructive MLMs. Oh look here's a study that also confirms it. Maybe we should also use this data to help people not fall for them with an emphasis on outreach to women"

Lol post the study. Stir it up.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
wow op thanks for writing a bunch of details about someone trying to scam you

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

let it mellow posted:

wow op thanks for writing a bunch of details about someone trying to scam you

They seem dumb and earnest enough to not think it's a scam. The lady trying to recruit me is an accountant and her husband's a corrections officer. I'd assume she'd at least be a brighter bulb of the two, but to go to a business school and not know about real estate and investing and retirement accounts and that sort of stuff, even in passing seems like she's either really dumb or playing dumb.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

wide stance posted:

Reasonable goon:

Goons?? Help people??

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does anybody have a link to the Nigerian prince scam where the guy wrote a lovely message in bold+lime green font color?

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
I had to start walking my dog at a different park because of an MLM. Over the course of a year I witnessed a small latino community turn into an herbalife salesforce. It started with a coach for the cities middle-school soccer team. He'd sell the products after practice to parents and at games. Wasn't long till he recruited the parents. Then suddenly they were everywhere. They'd try and get me to buy poo poo at the gym. They'd walk alongside my dog and I, probing me with questions, trying to see what product would best suit my lifestyle. One of the prettier ones invited me over to their place for a "party." Ended up being just a recruitment pitch with light refreshments and like eight other mislead dudes. had to delete facebook cause friends from highschool would hit me up and try to sell me poo poo on there as well. gently caress herbal life.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

wide stance posted:

Reasonable goon:

This is why no goon takes womyn seriously

Which makes womyn insist gbs hates women.

The circle of life is beautiful.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

504 posted:

This is why no goon takes womyn seriously

Which makes womyn insist gbs hates women.

The circle of life is beautiful.

now i understand why this is the default avatar

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
A symbol of understanding and not falling back on a default whine at anything you perceive as negative.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
And Feminism would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for you darned goons and your insightful sociopolitical commentary!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll only join an MLM of blowjobs.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

First interview I had with an MLM seemed reasonable. They brought me to a clean, fun office environment. Everyone was cheerful and young, people seemed excited to be there. The job was about "communicating with clients", of which they had many. I thought it would be some kind of administrative/analyst job. They said they'd call me back if I passed for a second interview.

They called me back later that hour, I wasn't even home yet, which is when I started thinking something was up.

I went back for the second interview, which was supposed to be a shadowing "on the field" type situation. We arrive at our destination, near Fordham University in the Bronx, and our first stop is a small bodega. I ask the guy I'm shadowing "are we stopping for coffee?", he laughs and says "no, this is our first client"

He then proceeds to pull out a giant dingy binder filled with terrible photocopies of pages from some kind of catalogue. We didn't even have an official catalogue, it was just stuff he printed from the web page. It was all office supplies, most were brands I had never heard of. He had a really blurry photocopy of some deal they were running, buy one printer get another one free, AND if you spent $50 or more you got a giant tub of pretzels with your purchase.

It went like this for 8 hours, 3 of which were spent at a small cell phone store and repair shop. They needed a bunch of supplies, but were critical of the quality of the last products they purchased from the person I was shadowing. Overall he sold roughly $300 of stuff that day, of which he kept 25% but that's because he had been doing it for two years at that point. Starting is 15%. Ahh but the REAL money comes in when you get people working UNDER you. See, once you hit "level 3" (he was only level 2) you can have people working as part of your cluster, and you get 10% of their sales. At level 3 you can have 5 people working under you, but at level 4 you can have 10 people, and then you can open your own branch, and then your own chapter!

We went to the train station and he asked if I was ready to go back to the office to fill out some paperwork. I told him no, this wasn't for me, and got on my train back home. I then looked into the group (I can't remember their name unfortunately) and found a bunch of similar experiences to mine. I also read some from people who had purchased supplies. There were many situations where people ordered and paid for things that they simply never received, or the materials were in terrible condition/of terrible quality. The salespeople, however, were never officially a part of the company, but rather "freelancers", so it was unlikely the people who were duped into buying these supplies would ever get their money back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

To be successful, you will have to suck a LOT of dicks.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wide stance posted:

Reasonable goon:

This but with the hitler mspaint

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Waltzing Along posted:

To be successful, you will have to suck a LOT of dicks.

I'm almost to level 3!
Just imagine all the partial blowjobs I'll receive from all my recruits!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Verisimilidude posted:

Overall he sold roughly $300 of stuff that day, of which he kept 25% but that's because he had been doing it for two years at that point.

hmm, a possibility of making as much as $75 a day, just by sticking with it for two years and working about as much as if you had a real job, AND all it costs is your dignity and all possibility of anyone you know ever being happy to see you?? I don't understand why you didn't sign up????

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I think I'd actually prefer to have a junkie as a friend.
Much more honest.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Same but only if I'm always at the bottom

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I lived in a party house after highschool with a couple of dudes so there was always at least 6 random people hanging out in the house at any given time. Two of the regular hangouts got roped into Primerica and began trying to recruit anyone who would come by. Their defense to the MLM angle was that they were getting legitimate insurance licenses that would allow them to sell insurance any any other major insurance outfit. This all came to a head when these dudes showed up with their newest recruit; all dressed in 3 piece suits explaining that they would be big timers in less than a year and had to dress accordingly. My roommate asked them not to come back if Primerica would be mentioned and they didn't come hang for quite a while after the fact. Flash forward 10 years and one dude is running a mobile dog grooming business and the other is selling cars. The dude selling cars attempted to get wise, going to a legit insurance office after souring on Primerica but soon realized even without the MLM selling insurance is very "feast or famine".
Primerica may be the most heinous of any of the MLMs I have seen because it is shockingly close to sounding like a legitimate business. That said it always made me wonder why someone could fall victim for Primerica without just seeking a legit job in insurance if the barriers to entry are as low as paying for a 6 hour training program. :shrug:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

These people super desperate for sales? Couldn't you gently caress around with them for favors for a while, just stringing them along?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i liked the GBS thread from ten years ago of some guy in scotland whose gf was suckered into selling textbooks door-to-door in california. the company was called Southwestern and they used to sell bibles door-to-door. also there was a goon who kept defending them

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Lil Peeler posted:

These people super desperate for sales? Couldn't you gently caress around with them for favors for a while, just stringing them along?

Neither of the dudes I know are doing it anymore but as with every MLM, the only thing they were after were additional recruits because that's where the real money is made. As they and another friend who did legit insurance sales explained; insurance is rough because most people who would be interested in it already have it or seek it out when they do. They are apprehensive to dealing with new brokers because often times insurance goes unused so there are seldom negative interactions with their current brokers. That said, those who do well seem to do very well, for what I, would believe to be, similar reasons.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I used to enjoy watching the cutco demonstrations at my local supermarket in Chinatown. All of these old Chinese women would watch in awe, oohing and ahhing whenever the guy would rub his knife edge against a brick only to slice a tomato effortlessly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Read the thread title as 'There's a platypus controlling me' and now I have that song stuck in my head.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

Read the thread title as 'There's a platypus controlling me' and now I have that song stuck in my head.

That's really nasty duck fetish guy

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

don't do it, op. when it makes you rich you'll move into a higher tax bracket

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jesus, I just had an interview with these people two weeks ago. :stonk:

Thank God for this thread. Now I'm glad I didn't answer any of their phone calls after the presentation they invited me to.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Jesus, I just had an interview with these people two weeks ago. :stonk:

Thank God for this thread. Now I'm glad I didn't answer any of their phone calls after the presentation they invited me to.

Jesus, I hope you have a better freshman orientation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hardawn posted:

That's really nasty duck fetish guy

It's a strange set of circumstances, try to understand.

• Locked thread