Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have huge and dangerous poisonberries that I've been growing for some years now. This is harvest season, so this year I will try a new technique to extract useful compounds from the plant.

Previously I wanted to take the vibrant dies the plant uses to warn you that it's loving poison and use them to make fancy silk drapes, but it didn't work. I ended up with a khaki colored powder that turned the color of blood clots when it was wet. It would actually form waxy dark crystals and then slowly turn dirt colored until they crumbled into dry powder. Smelled like dirt but also vaguely dangerous. Hard to describe.

This time i'm going to divide up the harvest into several portions and do a couple different attempts:

Wash it with water and apply different bases to see if I get anything stable
Wash it with various organic solvents and see if I can get anything out of the different fractions
maybe let some ferment on its own and see what will come out but i'm kinda worried about this one it might be gross
also considering ammonia treatments to see what comes out
perhaps I will extract the actual poison and kill my neighbors instead

Wat do you think goons? Any advice or questions? I'm planning on starting in maybe four-five hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im gonna have a lot of black walnut poison juice later this/next month. gonna mallet a #2 conduit hanger through them to remove most of the hull in a dry state before i pressure-wash them clean so i should be able to dispose of most of the material in a yard waste bag
maybe ill make a crazy-person tincture and drink it to something something toxins chemtrails

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
black walnuts aren't poison are they? hosed up. I thought it was just brown/black die in them.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Eat the berries, post results.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

black walnuts aren't poison are they? hosed up. I thought it was just brown/black die in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglone posted:

Juglone is currently being studied for its anticancer properties. It has been shown to decrease the probability of intestinal tumors in rats that have been exposed to carcinogens.
maybe ill drink that crazy-person tincture after all

quote:

See also

Plumbagin
lmao @ these names

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Malthuras posted:

Eat the berries, post results.

Yeah gently caress that i'll post some pics no sane person would eat that poo poo, they're goddamn unnatural colored

Never heard of juggalone, I just ate the walnuts themselves tbh

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
walnuts are fine to eat. too fine for the rowdy squirrels that live around here

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Put some nuts in your rear end and post results op

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i dunno if i were you i would probably google it a bit to find out which solvent would work best

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Eat all the berries, OP. All of them. Then piss on your curtains. See if that gets them the color you want.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well the heat wave shriveled them all up and probably hosed this but I'm still doing it. Another year blown due to laziness. Maybe.

I've found Google to be less than helpful. I end up with scientific treatises about the toxicity effects on like alpha receptors or whatever. What i should do is grab a book on olde timey dyeworks or something.

I project that there will be a lot of sugar and other bullshit that needs to be removed.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

people used to think tomatoes were poison too

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dry them then ground them into powder. Snort the mixture

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

maybe ill drink that crazy-person tincture after all
lmao @ these names

Why didn't they call it juggalone, missed opportunity IMO.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Grind them and put some into fentynal pills OP for cancer patients

Note dont do this its not nice to the pharmaceutical companies

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
What kind of berries op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dry them up and smoke 'em.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

people used to think tomatoes were poison too

Literally nobody has ever thought that. :shrug:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Have Blue posted:

What kind of berries op

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
At hostpital lost stomach post mote later

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I've sucked poison from the head of a penis, it was fortunate I was lurking in the limbs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eat the berries.

This is a botanist.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Literally nobody has ever thought that. :shrug:

Umm, why are you lying? Are you a bad person?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-the-tomato-was-feared-in-europe-for-more-than-200-years-863735/

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
bop skinny bop bop bop

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Are they beauty berries? If so they make a good bug repellent.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
On second look they are not

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

God its like way to throw the baby out with the bathwater retards. :jerkbag:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
all these posts would fit perfectly in the 'take a hike' subforum that is a really wonderful place, i tried to get them to rename it from take a hike to something more broad but i failed

also your best use of juglone or juglose would be to harvest worms for fishing, other than that you're likely to just poo poo up your lawn

to drink the husk water is possible to treat fungal or bacterial infections but you're basically making yourself a guinea pig for a drug we don't know how to dose or what level it becomes poisonous

it is found in lesser amounts in the other species of the juglans family, so butternuts/white walnuts would be a safer test run than black walnuts. maybe even 1/100th as much of the active chemical, never found any conclusive data so i'm guessing

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
its pokeweed op. the poison is real lovely and weak. looks like its mainly saponins and alkaloids that are the active ingredients

e: pls dont use this knowledge to defend your puckins or w/e other horrific goon thing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Too late i'm masticating the deadly root of the weed as we speak

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Too late i'm masticating the deadly root of the weed as we speak

Nice! Live post your state of being and mind. Don't forget to hit send!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
how do you intend to test the efficacy of your potion OP?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sell them to crazy people by telling them that the juice counteracts the effects of fluoride!* Learn this and more in my book 99 Secrets the Government Doesn't Want You to Know availible on Amazon.

*do not actually do this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright so I don't have pics but I took a gallon of moderately packed racemes and berries in various states between fresh and bone dry.

I shook them out into a larger container and put in enough water to cover them, prob half a gallon. Immediately the water turned very dark and there was a bubbling sound sort of like a very weak rice crispies. A lot of seeds got dislodged and berries started to break up as I swirled the mixture.

I'm letting it go 24 hours, then I'll strain it and let it evaporate. Meanwhile I'll do the same thing with rubbing alcohol, acetone, maybe ether, prob not.

Ps, it smells like something you very much do not want to ever get on you. I have no idea how people eat even a couple of these

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

seems like an interesting project op, but how come you're messing around with this particular plant? i would think you'd research what works before you started growing anything, as a baseline if nothing else

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It volunteered itself to grow on my property so I looked it up.

In the past it has been used to dye stuff and was used by civil war vets to write back home to ma or whatever.

More recently it's been used in prototype dye sensitized organic solar cells, but I don't have technical access to see how they extract the actual active compound or make the cell itself. It's definitely the same stuff though, the color is super similar.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So who are you trying to kill?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*op wearing a lab coat stomps on a bunch of berries and kicks them into a mud puddle, scrawls notes on clipboard*

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

quote is not edit, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I thought you were extracting out of prison and was excited but now I'm a little let down.

I hope you find a way out of prison if you get caught poisoning someone.

• Locked thread