Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pony: Desi
Poison: Simone

Simone seems to be super harsh and critical in interviews so far. Chances are her mouth will probably get her eliminated sooner rather than later, but there's also the chance she'll make it far longer than she should and continue annoying us me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

I'm surprised more cops haven't played and won tbh. Like I said before, cops literally receive training in how to trick people into disclosing things against their own self-interest. It's one of the most useful skillsets you can have on Survivor.

You'd also think poker players would do well, given their entire profession is based around bluffing and reading tells, but I can't think of a single one on reality shows in general Survivor that has made it to the merge, let alone done well.

Actually the only one I remember is Anna from Worlds Apart, and only because she was an attractive woman who ended up being anti-vax, I think.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yul was probably the 'best' out of actually using his job (as a lawyer) since he quite effectively argued Jonathan into basically giving the Aitu 4 the majority for the game.

But realistically anyone who says 'I'm a <job> and that's going to help me because' is probably not going to actually win because of it. Your life circumstances may help you (see Jeremy) but it's not going to be your crutch, and it'd probably hurt you more than anything (see how half the professional sports people try badly to hide what they do).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dugong posted:

The one hour premiere plus super idol twist made this an incredibly rushed start. My friends was first time watchers (I don't live in America) and this episode was not a good introduction. I guess a show this established doesn't really need to for most viewers but :shrug:

Honestly for first time watchers I'd get them started with Gabon. Very light on actual strategy, but it's fun, has some decent characters (minus Corrine) and has some quirks with idols.

Then once they've dipped their toes in you can throw them something like Cagayan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So Survivor AU is down to F4.

I'm kind of... ehh? on the four players remaining. Losing both Ziggy and Locky kinda hurt the cast in terms of 'big' personalities. I think the main problem is that Tara and Peter are both pretty bad players - one's too emotional and the other's too inoffensive. Jericho's not a bad player, but he's never really been in danger the whole game and his war analogies kinda grate on me a little. Michelle is the best out of the four remaining, and while she talks up a mean game, she's still a little... no flash and all bang for me. She's not a flashy player, she's effective and under the radar, which is I guess the best option out of the four remaining.

I guess what I'm thinking is that if Ziggy or Locky was still in over Peter, I'd be more pleased going into the final week - I'd have more people to root for than just Michelle, even if they'd be hinging on immunity wins, it's a decent story to sell at FTC.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
JP is the emotionless robot Spencer would have been envious of.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, now that Lauren's survived til a swap she's almost guaranteed FTC Goat status. Even if she's the sole Hustler post-swap she's so non-threatening she can be looked over.

Ali might be the winner all of us are waiting with bated breath for but not dare to pin all our hopes on. Survivor rarely plays out well for smart attractive 20-something females unless your name is Parvati (I'd say Andrea too but despite her three games she hasn't actually performed amazingly). She's social enough to make friends, smart enough to have some wit about her, and nonthreatening enough that she could get passed over in favour of taking out someone like Desi instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel better about the girls this season. There's been a good amount of attention on Joe/Cole/Devon/Ryan, and I think Ben's in the best position in the game right now, but I'm pleasantly surprised by Ali and Chrissy (and Jessica to a lesser extent), and even though Roark/Desi have been fairly invisible, their tribe hasn't gone to tribal yet and they were decently hyped pre-season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

(not really a spoiler but whatever)
:lol::lol::lol: Sucks to be whoever is exiled to Russell Island and comes back complaining about how the game of Survivor is FLAWED and AMERICA should decide the winner.

I kind of want to see a Russell vs. Hali showdown. Will the Russell seed prevail against 'AMERICA IS GREAT'?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a 'do I trust this person to use his powers to help me'? decision. If Patrick is your solid ally, great! He can actually use those things to your benefit to bring numbers in. And he would have a good chance of actually being loyal to Ali. And just going off initial impressions the only people I could see him being swung away from on the other tribe would be JP and Cole (or maybe he could have gotten charmed by Devi?).

Problem is that nobody buys that he's actually that good at making friends.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryan seems smarter than Zeke and less neurotic than Dave/Max/Shirin/Hannah at least, so he's a bit ahead of most of the superfans in the last five to ten seasons already.

I think there are enough shields around that he'd last a while, he has a bit of a Todd vibe. It's whether or not the more strategic people like Ali/Roark/Chrissy will cotton onto him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shneak posted:

What? If it wasn't for the idol it would have come down to either Desi/Ashley forced to vote out Devon or the three of them drawing rocks.

This season desperately needed the tribe swap. First good episode so far.

Desi and Ashley have to vote for either Joe or Alan on a re-vote (since Joe/Alan/Devon all can't vote). If that's deadlocked and the tribe can't agree on who to ouster, then Desi/Ashley/Devon draw rocks.

What would have been hilarious would be if they both decided to flip on the re-vote because they're sick of their respective crazy partners and it ends up being a tie anyway.

Man, I thought Devon would be the dumb jock of the season... but nope, Cole is running far and away with the prize.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other end, Desi might be one of the most attractive women to have ever played Survivor. I know it's only been 12 days but her skin still looks flawless.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Not that I disagree that Joe was using it on himself regardless, but Ashley may as well have been holding up an "I voted for Joe" sign for anyone looking for a tell.

The funny thing is that (I think?) once he used the idol he and Desi were safe regardless since if it goes to rocks the people that were tied and anyone with immunity don't have to draw, meaning Ashley and Devon would have been the only ones drawing. I do not think Joe thought that far ahead either, though.

Only because of the vote block on Devon. If it wasn't for that he'd have to read the room/flip a coin.

So somehow Jessica made the best move to help the Healers. I mean it would probably have shaken out the same way if she'd blocked Alan or Ashley, but maybe Devon would have jumped ship once he realized it'd be 2-2.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 20, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Ryan messed up for two reasons:

1. Voting Roark out means that there's a potential 2-2 vote at the next tribal if they go to Tribal again. Yes you could work with both Ali and Chrissy to vote JP out. But you have no guarantee that Chrissy might have a stronger bond with JP (we know that's not the case, but). And if Chrissy isn't on your side 100% you could be going home due to rocks.

2. You didn't even open up the option to Ali to vote Roark off. If you had, she'd probably have been on board. And that is why I imagine she's gonna be pissed at you when you go back to camp - and you're demonstrating to her that you trust Chrissy more than you trust her. She's a smart enough player that she's going to recognize it, and she's going to know that you're forming your own bonds, your social game is a threat, and she'll need to cut you at some point.

I could see the justification for working with Chrissy in that it means you're down in numbers and siding with her means you might be able to work with the Heroes at the merge. But that puts you near the bottom of an alliance of 6 (including Devon). If it were me, I'd work with Ali, take out a Hero, and that gives you an option to join with the six-strong Healer tribe who will almost certainly have fragments in them eventually.

But yeah, things don't look good for Ali right now. She has no allies in this game and the one ally that she thought she had just stabbed her in the back. She needs to either make friends with JP or figure something out quick at the merge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Exit interviews suggest that maybe Ryan was getting threatened in that if he nixes Chrissy, then Ali has the power and not him (since Roark would be more loyal to her). I think it was still a terrible move not telling Ali, though.

I've been a bit lukewarm on the cast, but outside of JP, Cole and maybe Desi they could all feasibly win. Well maybe not Lauren (despite her fortitude I'm not sure she actually has a winner's trajectory), but for such a maligned theme and premiere the season is doing alright.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Desi, but she's almost been invisible outside of the one time her tribe went to Tribal. The only one that's more invisible than her right now is JP.

Of course, I'd gladly like to be proven wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

Agreed. I really think the only reason she's still in the game is that she has a sweet face, which helped Ryan pick her to be the stranger he gave the idol e1. And Ryan wanting to make something out of that idol bond saved her. Seems like neither Roark nor Ali was that into her; if Ali had just been a little into her it would've been easy for her and Ryan to get on the same page.

More like she puked at the challenge so Ryan figured she'd be a weak link and he can hurt the Heroes by possibly nixing a strong opponent.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, I was not expecting Ryan to take the commanding lead in the Poison category.

So, who do I root for now? I guess there's some good options left - basically everyone except Cole and Ryan. I don't really like Chrissy but I'll stomach her win over Ryan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair, Ryan is playing a very Todd-like game. Todd was just better received because he was against a bunch of unlikable/dumb players like Jean-Robert. Even him voting out the charismatic James wasn't that bad because James took it very well.

So far, Ryan just ousted two fan favourites in Roark and Ali. I'm pretty sure Ali will return to play at some point (Survivor's kind of hard up on female players like her), but I can see how Ryan might be getting a bad rep right now. If he's responsible for say, a Joe ouster, people might start coming round on him.

I'm still not a fan, but I'm ready to change my opinion.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CODChimera posted:

Pre-game stuff?

I think Ryan made the right move, even if he kept Ali around it's not like she'd forget what he did before. This seasons not really drawing me in so far.

She's the kind of quirky superfan that doesn't immediately scream Max-levels of supernerd.

I mean here's the kind of gold she had in pre-game:

quote:

What's your reason for being on Survivor?
Clearly there is something wrong with me.

Plus in the 'what Survivor are you most like?' question she went with Sophie and Courtney over the usual boring answers of Parvati/Russell/Boston Rob.

And yeah, Ali was too much of a threat not to cut out over JP, I guess we were all just hoping she'd survive at least til next episode.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 2, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I totally agree with everyone that they made the smart strategic move. Ali's a bigger threat than JP because he ain't gonna win every Immunity challenge and they basically spent an episode saying "he's a nice enough guy but he has no strategic game." And for Ryan he burned Ali bad enough that it makes sense to want her gone pre merge/jury. But much like last week its HOW he and Chrissy handled things that leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. They're snakes and they seem to really get a kick out of "the game" and all the backstabby and scheming involved. Which is totally fine and its "just a game", but when you lose yourself in it you tend to get dirty. That's two weeks in a row Ryan and Chrissy have successfully controlled the vote but also got bloody in doing so. I think they're effective at it and could go far, but if that pattern keeps up its going to be ugly and could eventually bit them.

To add to that, here's a bit about the Ali/Chrissy relationship:

quote:

Elliott: Chrissy and I ended up bonding. You saw, her hair was braided all the time. (Laughs) That night after the deal with Ryan, I was broken. I didn’t sleep, I laid there and stared at the fire. The next morning I went looking for an idol. I could already see them stalking me in the woods. And when I came back to camp, it was just me and Chrissy and she said, “I don’t think you should feel like you’re on the outs.” So, I was trying to sell myself at that point. “I made a mistake, I was stupid. And I’m still useful. I have a great social game and can bring in people you need.” So, we ended up bonding. Even during the pizza we shared things about our family and the game. At one point…and obviously now…she’d lied so well that I thought I might’ve squeezed back in there. But, there was one thing…and I know this is a game…but would someone lie about that?
Holmes: On this show? Yes.
Elliott: Well, I’m really close to my family. They mean everything to me, like most people, and we’d talked about the family visit. I told her I’d bring my sister. We’re so close, we’re best friends. And she said, “We’re so set. We’re going to get through this to the merge and we’re going to get to the family visit. And I cannot wait to see you run and jump into your sister’s arms.”
Holmes: Oof…
Elliott: And I was thinking, for someone to have so much confidence in this relationship after something bad had happened, I thought, maybe this could work. Why would you lie about something like that? But, it happened. (Laughs)

I mean, it's legit gameplay, but... there's a bit of a bad juju about how they're playing it. There have been plenty of charismatic gamebots that didn't have the amount of arrogance/lying that they're exhibiting.

quote:

Ryan seems to be of the school that "social game" means "working" with everyone and saying "yes" to everyone but that kind of just sets you up for the situation he was in with Ali. JP may not have any real strategy but he actually seems like a perfectly pleasant and liked guy. Like, him telling them how he likes to take a girl on a bonfire date may not have been exciting but it was perfectly pleasant and then Ryan's all "bang them in the back of a truck, right? hehehe". At some point JP might just be the guy people like and trust while Ryan is... a weasel.

JP's kinda like the Ken of this season. Seems like a perfectly nice guy and great challenge person, just... nowhere in the strategy department. Difference is that in MvG Ken at least seemed like he had a chance of winning but was just in the wrong season. Meanwhile Ryan's more like Zeke but worse in social situations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryan/Chrissy would be more likely to aim at Cole or Joe rather than JP since they've actually worked with JP and can attest to how easy he is to manipulate.

The 'easiest' vote would probably be Jessica.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nobody disagrees that Ali was the right choice, but Ryan showed that he didn't hold up well under interrogation in that episode, and his self-proclaimed social game is a lot weaker than he thinks it is. That kind of 'give false hope and then stab them' attitude is what got Albert zero votes to win in South Pacific.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Chrissy also has more allies - she's linked with Ryan and Ben, probably Ashley, and then from there JP. Ryan has Chrissy and Devon, and that's about it. He also has links to Ashley via Devon, but since he hasn't personally spent time with Ashley and he doesn't seem to gel well at all with JP he's at a slight disadvantage.

Honestly, if he could travel back in time six days, consulted with Ali, and then voted out Roark and then JP, he'd be in a really great position, with three smart allies that really trust him (Ali, Chrissy, Devon). But now most of the power is in Chrissy's hands.

You could say he has no blood on his hands going into the merge, but given the small pool of players he's had a chance to bond with, taking out one of his biggest allies has hurt his chances quite a bit already.

Of course it's still early days yet, and he won't be a target for a while, so he has more than enough time to fix things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ken and Ozzy were pretty much non-threats in the last two seasons. There hasn't really been a threatening buff guy since Mike Holloway - Joe Anglim, Malcolm and Jay were threats more because of charisma than anything, and Jeremy was definitely not banking on physical ability to win Cambodia.

JP is definitely in the Ken/Ozzy category so unless he suddenly becomes a strategic mastermind he's a fairly easy goat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I guess I meant more in the 'nobody really cares that they're a physical threat'. Ken had four immunity wins and the Legacy Advantage, but even if he didn't have any of them he was in no danger of being voted out since everyone saw him as a goat. The only reason someone would have voted him out post-merge would be to weaken David.

Similarly, right now other than depriving someone of an immunity win, I can't see people going, 'oh no JP won immunity now we can't vote him out'. It can change, but right now JP isn't a threat to win at all, so nobody is going to go after him. He'd either get ousted to weaken an alliance, or like Abi from Cambodia where he's such an attractive goat that people are afraid that he'd be taken by another person over them.

Of course we're not even halfway through the cast, so I'm prepared to eat my words.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, if Ken was cast even as far back as Worlds Apart with a similar game he could have won. Wrong cast, wrong time.

That isn't to say he plays a perfect game since he definitely has flaws; he gets along with certain people well but man he does not relate to people like Will or Chris at all. So his strategic game is poor and his social game is... limited. But he plays a good, loyal, physical game and certain juries will respect that.

As for JP, he's doing even worse than Ken. At least Ken was very sympathetically edited for the first half of the game (which they wouldn't really do if he was that hapless). JP's been dead in the water past the first episode.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

When she was a teenager, she definitely snuck one of her mom's wine coolers from the 4th of July party 2 years prior, thinking she was so bad.

Of course she grew up to be the woman to betray her alliance for a cute boy.

I had no idea any of the Villians were cute boys. Lots of cute girls though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They needed an even number of guys and girls on the Villians tribe and all the girls already picked for the Villians side were better. Meanwhile I feel like some of the Hero choices, while not bad, seem like a lopsided bunch; did they really think Sugar was going to do anything different her second time round?

I don't know much about Danielle since I never watched Panama but she came in second so I assume she's better than Candice (which is not a very high bar).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope they do HvV2 with the cast members after HvV, excluding the all-star seasons. A whole bunch of new potential there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's probably a balance between 'taking such an obvious goat that it'll lose you respect' and 'take someone who's good to earn you brownie points but not good enough that they'll beat you'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm wondering how long Ben/Lauren/Ryan/Devon can skate under the radar. Being the swing vote is great til people start to exploit cracks. Joe's already cottoning onto Ben.

Also since Jessica isn't part of the jury, maybe eight jury members with a F3? Or they'll actually shake it up and go a F2 with a jury of nine.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm a little worried this Hustlers/Heroes thing is going to hold. Hopefully someone steps too far out or the majority splits when one more Healer is gone or something. But I'm worried Lauren won't split from Ben, Ben won't split from Chrissy, Chrissy and Ryan won't split, and Devon and Ryan won't split. So that puts the hope on Ashley and JP? And Ashley and Devon seem tight. I'm not sure that's my idea F7 but I know I don't want to sit through four weeks of pagonging. And I'm nervous we're in line for that.

We haven't seen Ashley/Devon or Ashley/JP talk, so we don't know how strong those bonds are going to hold now that merge. And I do think Ben's smart enough to realize Chrissy is either going to be a huge threat he's going to have to cut loose, or annoying/bossy enough that he can win over more people than her.

I do think that Chrissy will cut Ryan before Ryan cuts Chrissy, and Chrissy has more backup with the Heroes and Ben possibly swaying Lauren.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 9, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think it'll be an unexciting couple of boots (but with Joe around you can never be too sure).

I'd like to see Desi or Mike swing part of the group over for one vote, but the problem is there aren't too many enticing targets for a switch. If Desi swings Devon and Ashley, they won't be able to target Ryan or JP (and by extension, Chrissy), which means they have to go for Ben. If Mike swings Ben and Lauren, then they'll probably have to go after Ashley, Ryan, Devon or JP (Ben won't target Chrissy this early I think). This means that Chrissy will be sticking around for a bit unless idol.

My guess is that JP or Ashley will be the victim of someone flipping, and then once it gets down to 7-9 people might start realizing the danger of people like Ryan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I remember right, didn't Ethan win because whoever came in second place knew she was gonna lose and decided Ethan deserved the money more than Lex?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How are Ben and Lauren goat-ish? They're in prime swing vote position. Ben has links to Chrissy/Ashley, Lauren can link with Ryan/Devon, and both can link back to Mike/Cole. They have a lot of options and right now both sides need to court their vote.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the potential dark horse is a Ben/Lauren/Mike solid voting bloc. On paper it looks perfect - none of them would feel too threatened by each other, since they're all from different original tribes (thus reducing jury threat). They get along well. They can each present a good case at FTC - Ben's the most charismatic, Mike's the savviest, and Lauren has an underdog scrapper story. And they all know that taking anyone else like Chrissy or Joe to the end is too dangerous. If they can trust each other, it'd be a very hard group to break once they hit F6, and they can probably mask a tight bond long enough to whittle each side down.

If that's the case, then Ben and Lauren did the right move in knocking out a Healer - it'd prevent Mike from possibly getting swayed into staying Healer strong, and can mean he'll latch onto them as a lifeboat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why would people keep Joe over Desi. Desi's better at challenges but Joe's... Joe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What we should have seen is JP 2.0. We could have had a record of strip searches per season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

I really don't understand what happened. Joe, Cole, Mike, and Desi voting Ben would have been 4 votes Ben and he would have been eliminated. Ben came to Mike and told him straight up that would happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor:_Heroes_vs._Healers_vs._Hustlers#Voting_history

This season is incomprehensible from a strategy and alliance perspective because we aren't being shown crucial information

Mike would have been in a bad position if he'd voted Ben out. The Healers would still be down 4-6, he might alienate Lauren, and he'd have lost a crucial ally that could save him from a Pagonging. Mike's best move at the moment is to wait for a crack; the problem is that I don't see Ryan/Devon/Chrissy breaking so early, so any mutiny would involve requiring Ben to swing Ashley and JP.

Man, I wish the other team had won the reward instead. As entertaining as watching Cole crash and burn yet again was, it'd have been nice to see Ashley and Desi get some screentime.

Also I think Joe sank even further in my eyes for trying to turn Ben's profession against him. Strategy or no, it's kinda messed up doing that to someone who still has some PTSD. Some of the cast members are incredibly cutthroat in a way that makes me uncomfortable; it's like the opposite of MvG where people were strategic but aware of how much was too much.

• Locked thread