Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/17/soccer-fans-rejoice-the-4chan-summer-cup-is-the-sporting-event-of-the-year/
https://squawker.org/technology/the-4chan-cup-is-the-pinnacle-of-human-evolution/

So you don't have to read that (the former being outdated and the latter being utter trash), essentially, a bunch of guys on 4chan got together to mod Pro Evolution Soccer and run AI versus AI matches with modded teams complete with their own custom kits and stadiums and balls. Teams are based on their various boards and it's been running for 5 years. Articles are written by a /pol/ poster whose board has generally fielded one the more terrible teams. Today they played /mlp/ (a board devoted to My Little Pony) as part of a qualifier for the the lower tier league known as the Babbys (the Qualifier also known as the Fetus). Other teams also played, but those are the two most infamous.

The whole wiki for the thing is on implyingrigged.info and it's streamed on Smashcast.tv because they were banned by Twitch because one of the kits had questionable nudity (though /pol/ and some other team's everything would be verboten).

So what's SomethingAwful done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We created 4chan.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

not waste our time on imaginary soccer

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not sure "running a dumb kid off the forums" constitutes a creative moment.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Not given a poo poo about 4chan.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xelkelvos posted:

Not created a virtual soccer tournament.

Advantage: SA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That is remarkably unremarkable

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Like whoaaaaaa these internet dudes made their own teams and stuff and played against one another whoaaaaaaaaaa how different and extreme :popeye:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
We once used 4chan as cover so that we had plausible deniability to ringlead half the Internet into a war with Scientology.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
IDGI so is the competition about programming a better AI?

Or is it literally just watch the AI play against itself

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's very nice! I hope they're having a grand old time playing with their balls!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Not for nothing, but this still impresses me every time given how relatively small the whole thing is. Given that's it's mostly a few dozen people loving around with a video game to draw in a few thousand viewers people to watch a bunch of memes on legs kick a ball around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaVV5aJ80g

This one's not as impressive because the guy who made the above got a real job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGTRF5bsiI

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

IDGI so is the competition about programming a better AI?

Or is it literally just watch the AI play against itself

Basically each team has a Manager who sets up the formations and special "abilities" for a few of the players as well as direct the team strategies like a Coach. No one is directly controlling the individual players.

Edit: The last team who won the whole tourney was /lgbt/ because they figured out a strategy for the version of PES that basically wins all of the time.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 15, 2017

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Xelkelvos posted:

Not for nothing

Long Islander spotted

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Virtual tournaments aren't some new thing, 4chan's been organizing them for years. Such as that wrestling league featuring only video game characters and dumb storylines.

Was Saltybet a 4chan thing? That was entertaining for a while

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Xelkelvos posted:

I got my dick sucked a whole bunch :mrgw:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Why don't you stay in 4chan if you love it there so much :smugmrgw:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xelkelvos posted:

Well, we currently have a goon doing newscaster-style dramatic readings of insane e-mails that another goon who works in HR is regularly getting from crazy Indian men.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
Suck my god drat dick you anime bitch

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rear end posted:

Why don't you stay in 4chan if you love it there so much :smugmrgw:

I like SA more than 4chan, mostly because the mods here actually do their jobs and don't let boards leak into each other excessively like how /pol/ is currently leaking into most every other board with the Mods there letting it happen because they and the new owner/admin give zero fucks.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Hello Contracts,

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Prester Jane posted:

We once used 4chan as cover so that we had plausible deniability to ringlead half the Internet into a war with Scientology.

So we lost, huh?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
eSports only have 6 things in common with real sports and it's letters.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Oscar Wild posted:

eSports only have 6 things in common with real sports and it's letters.

Wouldn't that be 5 things?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Water sports have more physical Md skill requirements than eSports.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xaintrailles posted:

So we lost, huh?

Oh no, not at all. Scientology was dealt an extended series of massive blows and everyone has basically forgotten that SA ever had anything to do with it. A number of Goons who have since gone on to be activists of one sort or another got their start during Chanology.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is car racing a sport?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wouldn't that be 5 things?

Not if you're an American.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

Oh no, not at all. Scientology was dealt an extended series of massive blows and everyone has basically forgotten that SA ever had anything to do with it. A number of Goons who have since gone on to be activists of one sort or another got their start during Chanology.

Chanology was such a trip. I remember following it from EncyclopediaDramatica. I don't recall some of the more tangible aftermath of it though that would be considered massive blows though. Most of what I remember is that, as it went on, it just sort of petered off with protest after protest without much visible effects. Anything I did see ended up coming from the Tampa Bay Times and their coverage, but it seems more like the Church went quiet rather than outright damaged.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

We were doing this as early as the mass ebaumsworld removal/DDOS alongside YTMND too up until people found out bauman can afford millionaire lawyers

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xelkelvos posted:

Chanology was such a trip. I remember following it from EncyclopediaDramatica. I don't recall some of the more tangible aftermath of it though that would be considered massive blows though. Most of what I remember is that, as it went on, it just sort of petered off with protest after protest without much visible effects. Anything I did see ended up coming from the Tampa Bay Times and their coverage, but it seems more like the Church went quiet rather than outright damaged.

They were hit with a round of internal defections that Chanology was a massive factor in enabling. They also lost a shitload of money and recruits as a result of the war with Chanology, and their ranks of online trolls were depleted as well. Chanology was not a mortal wound but it cost them dearly and Scientology has been a shitload quieter/weaker ever since. (Internal accounts indicate that David Miscavige has lost it and things are slowly death-spiralling.)

Once upon a time Scientology had enough influence that threads about it on SA were banned as a result of lawsuit threats. Now no one online fears to criticize Scientology, and the CoS has learned the hard way that it is in their best interest to never attract attention to themselves in online spaces.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
best 4chan esport thing was the shazbowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjTgMy9mPc

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
4chan is a result of sa purging unwanted elements

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
all i know about this is /mlp/ won a couple times and the salt was hilarious

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I found this neat little documentary about Chanology, it gives a bit of a cinema-veritas feel for how the early days played out and concludes with one of the critics talking about how before Chanology critics had to be very cautious when speaking out. Nowhere in this (or basically any) Chanology documentary is any mention of SA or its involvement (or us running the primary coordination hub for Chanology), so I would call that a mission success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRb6L7SCSro

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insulated staircase posted:

not waste our time on imaginary soccer

we only waste our time on important things like racist hot dog men

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i used to do this in videogames... back when i was 14 OP!!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
We had that thread where we simulated the hunger games using videogame characters and celebrities

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The thing about chanology is that it was a direct clash of spirit, a bunch of youngsters who cherished the ability to be anonymous online going up against notorious assholes who liked to dig up dirt on outspoken opponents as a means to silence negative press.

A lot of people had stories to tell about scientology that weren't being seen by the public at large due to the fact that lots of the press simply didn't want to cross them.

Chanology basically side-stepped their favored tactics, and since kids were showing up in sometimes large numbers to protest this weird cult, they got media attention, and people became way more willing to speak out against scientology, leave them, and generally that cult has never really recovered from that movement.

Giving goons the credit for that whole thing is ridiculous though. It WAS goons, but it was also 4chan, and encyclopedia dramatica, and places like YTMND that were still relevant back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
SA has produced more murderers maybe than 4chan and maybe more guys baking themselves to death high on drugs in their cars?

• Locked thread