Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So today I had that Netflix cartoon "Big Mouth" on today. It's cute enough, a B-grade cartoon about the worst parts of early puberty except all the characters articulate like Jewish NYC comedians reflecting on the worst parts of early puberty, but there was one moment that was stood out as :wtf: above everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUM3a-ZV_RQ

No, it wasn't all of the frequent, graphic depictions of pubescent sexuality like a girl talking to her cartoon vagina or a boy loving a pillow. Those things you kind-of expect since they show a cartoon boy's flaccid penis on-screen like 3 minutes into the first episode. Yeah that stuff is gross and even edgy but the tone is consistent, and it's the point of the whole show. I'm talking about the one moment that actually made me do a double-take. Please tell me I'm not hallucinating this.

There's a moment in the second episode--I can't find a clip of it--where they show a paraplegic boy being hoisted into the back of a school bus for a field trip. As the main characters pass him he says "I could walk before I was vaccinated." And that's it. There's no follow-up, no build-up, no reaction to any of this, and no vaccine/disease-related comments in the entire rest of the season. Like, seriously, what the hell?

I know that there are some stupid motherfuckers on the "enlightened" coasts that believe vaccines are bad news--I have family like that, and they're uniformly middle class + people who have never been within eyesight of any of the diseases vaccines prevent--but of all the places to insert weird subliminal asides... why a gross-out Netflix cartoon about privileged white kids struggling with their genitals?

Also I swore up and loving down that the Puberty Monster was voiced by Wil Arnett, but apparently it's Nick Kroll doing another voice. What-loving-ever, it's uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
vaginas cause autism?? i think im confused about ur post bro

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw the splash image of this show the other day on Netflix and it looked pretty bad and gross, with the young kids grabbing their junk.

I take it if you watched more than one episode it can't be worse than Bordertown though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's just like not very good

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Could the joke be that's a really stupid thing to think or would that be an outlier from the surrounding jokes

Measure the jokes sincerity and put them on a graph and we might be able to solve this.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Its just a lovely joke delivered poorly.

Wait until you get a load of GBS

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Can you rate the show in units of “Big Momma’s House”?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Can you rate the show in units of “Big Momma’s House”?

Its seperate from BMH, but also equal in terms of blandness

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I liked big mouth but I also have the humor of a 12 year old

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
nick kroll is a hideous ballsack of a human

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mork and Mindy is way funnier because it was comedy before you could swear or show nuts

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

WatermelonGun posted:

post a pic of yourself im sure you're a catch.

Here's me reading a cool book:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i would be too embarrased to do this personally. my face has been described as 'void of natural virtue', among other things. my body has been described as 'getting the job done'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

god drat leyendecker gets me wet

not that it does any good since he was fuckin beech

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
seriously if you can get through the mork and mindy pilot w/o laughing your rear end off at least once you are a piece. of. poo poo.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look at this idiot who never heard of Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

seriously if you can get through the mork and mindy pilot w/o laughing your rear end off at least once you are a piece. of. poo poo.

I've never seen it but I'll see if I can track it down

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
mork and mindy? that show was garbo

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Three's Company was where it was at.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peace de Bundy posted:

mork and mindy? that show was garbo

it sucks with childlike whimsy and humor. that poo poo died with williams so that show is a rare piece of laugh purity.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

mind the walrus posted:

a gross-out Netflix cartoon about privileged white kids.

See that part you wrote? That's the answer to your question.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
in light of the harvey weinstein stuff, i gotta wonder how many of the writers for this show are legit pedophiles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Monos Bullet posted:

in light of the harvey weinstein stuff, i gotta wonder how many of the writers for this show are legit pedophiles

This day and age, you have to be grateful if someone's attached to 10 year olds just cause sheep don't live that long

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kroll show was really great and funny and really clever, big mouth isnt really much of any of those things

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I think that vagina might be a good avatar.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

This is not ok

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

WatermelonGun posted:

The fact that he's with Amy Pohler, who is a goddess I would go lesbian for in a heartbeat, makes me sad inside.

Though she was also married to Will Arnet, so I guess she has a type.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I agree that was a very strange line that stuck out like an awkward gym class boner. The show is okay but I feel like I'm just listening to an extra long episode of CBB, in which case, kill me.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
hormone monster is good

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

hormone monster is good

Hormone monstress is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U11H-3j3Ho

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Pretty sure it was just a throw away joke...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Does watching that show put you on a list or something? Maybe it should.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
This sounds like the worst show

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

meet girls at the store posted:

The fact that he's with Amy Pohler, who is a goddess I would go lesbian for in a heartbeat, makes me sad inside.

They broke up like 1000 years ago. I read it in her excellent autobiography.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
sorry OP gonna have to stick with "talking cartoon child vagina" as the worst part of a show I will not be watching

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

it looks like netflix ran it as a prank that everyone immediately regretted, but kept doing anyway

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I will check it out and get back to you. If I remember to. I mean I probably won't.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Orkin Mang posted:

i would be too embarrased to do this personally. my face has been described as 'void of natural virtue', among other things. my body has been described as 'getting the job done'.

Sometimes, that's all you need...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I found it hilarious. The hormone monsters are the best part of the show :D

• Locked thread