Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Some Key Dates:

October 17 Start of the 2017-18 NBA Regular Season (NBA Tip-Off 2017)
December 7 NBA Mexico City Games 2017 -- Brooklyn Nets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (Mexico City)
December 9 NBA Mexico City Games 2017 -- Brooklyn Nets vs. Miami Heat (Mexico City
January 5 10-day contracts may now be signed
January 10 All contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season
January 11 NBA London Game 2018 -- Philadelphia 76ers vs Boston Celtics (London)
January 15 Last day to sign NBA Two-Way contracts
February 8 NBA Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET)
February 16-18 NBA All-Star 2018 (Los Angeles, CA)
March 1 Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
April 11-14 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (Portsmouth, VA)
April 11 Regular Season ends
April 13 Rosters set for NBA Playoffs 2018, 3 p.m. ET

2017-2018 Meet the Team Post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836979

Some Key Posts:

Kibner posted:

Overall Strategy
You want to score more points than your opponent. Duh. This is generally done by trying to get the most points-per-possession (ppp) on your offensive trips (i.e. a possession) and limit your opponent to the fewest ppp on their offensive trips. A possession starts when a team gains control of the ball and ends when they score, lose control of the ball (via turnover or violation), or the opposing team secures the rebound off a missed shot attempt.

The best stats to look at this kind of efficiency at a team level is Defensive Rating (DRtg) and Offensive Rating (ORtg). You can find those and other stats on resources like Basketball Reference and the NBA's stat site. The Net Rating (NRtg) is the difference between ORtg and Drtg. The higher this number the better the team.

Now that you know that ppp or ORtg/DRtg can be used to measure how good a team is at offense/defense, let's apply that to how it dictates team strategy. There are many types of ways to score. Dunks, layups, 3 pointers, free throws, paint shot (a shot coming from that colored rectangle between the free throw line and the basket), and mid-range (everything between the paint and the 3 point line) to name a few. Of these, the most efficient (i.e. highest ppp), on average, are dunks, free throws, layups, and 3 pointers, in that order (dokmo or someone can correct me).

Since those are usually the most efficient shots, defenses work on denying the offense those shots and try to force offenses into the most inefficient shot: the mid-range. There are many different defensive schemes and such to try to stop this but they usually involve preventing players from being able to get into the paint while dribbling the ball (driving). The way a defender angles himself between the ball-handler and the basket/paint can help dictate which way the ball-handler drives. If he gets beat, a help defender will leave his man to cover the mistake. Like dokmo mentioned, look up how Pick and Roll works because it can involve a lot of the concepts used here. This appears to be a good explanation.

In general, an offense is looking to get an uncontested shot at the rim or from the 3 point line. This is usually done with a pick and roll, as mentioned by other posters, but there are other strategies which may include concepts derived from the triangle offense, lots of off-ball screens, and more. When time is running low (shot clock or game clock), teams usually resort to running an isolation play. This play has a low ppp but also has a low turnover rate and is easy to make sure a shot goes up so it is ran to make sure a scoring opportunity is created for the offensive team and the defending team doesn't get enough time to create their own, no matter how the play ends. Some players use iso plays outside of this situation and that is bad and they should feel bad.

Side Notes:
shots at the rim and in the paint draw free throws at the highest rate, which is another reason why the defense wants to keep the offense away from there
transition/fast-breaks are an easy way to get open shots before defense has a chance to get in place but can be difficult to generate, especially without sacrificing defense
post-ups are when a player is close to the basket (the small blocks on either side, aka the post). often used to draw in help defense in order to create an open look for a teammate elsewhere
every strategy is dependent on the talent and skills of the team. some players are good enough at mid-range to make them worth while shots, some are bad enough at 3s that they shouldn't take wide-open ones, etc.

Positions/Roles
This has been a hot-topic the last several years. Definitions and roles have changed as offensives have changed (integrated way, way, way more 3 point shot attempts). Traditionally, positions are labeled as such:
1 : Point Guard : PG
2 : Shooting Guard : SG
3 : Small Forward : SF
4 : Power Forward : PF
5 : Center : C
The PG is usually the shortest followed by the SG, etc. Historically, point guard is the main ball-handler and initiates the offense, the shooting guard aggressively scores, the small forward does a bit of everything, power forward is main help defender and has shooting touch out to mid-range, center plays around the basket.

That is how positions/roles have generally been for much of the NBA's history. It has changed a bit with what is being called "position-less basketball", which is a bit of a cheap way of saying everyone needs to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot at an effective level while also being able to guard players a bit smaller and a bit larger than themselves. There are lots of alternative terms used now like big, wing, swing, and more.

The position someone is listed at does not really tell you much about their offensive role these days. You can look at their listed position to see who they typically guard, though. Nikola Jokic is listed as a center because that is who he guards on defense but his team plays him like a point guard on offense.

Being able to guard people a bit bigger and a bit smaller than you is key to playing defense at the highest level. If a team fields a lineup full of players that can do that, it means they can "switch" who each player guards during a possession and not give up a matchup advantage. The Golden State Warriors are the current masters of this.

Non-Obvious Things to Look For
Don't ball-watch. Seriously. I usually have the paint as the center of my frame of reference when watching a game. It lets me see all the off-ball motions and defensive help happen before it actually happens. If you learn to watch what's going on away from the ball and are familiar enough with a team, you can tell with great confidence what is about to happen a second or two before it actually happens and predict the result with great accuracy. When I attend games, I'll stand up and start pumping my fist for a made shot before the ball leaves the passer's hands.

It takes a lot of practice. When I'm tired and watching late games, I fall back into ball-watching. Which isn't bad, mind you. It's where you see really cool one-on-one moves without needing replay. Video game, but illustrates why off-ball movement is so good.

Watching off-ball is also where you get to see the dirtiest poo poo happen. Elbows, knees, grabs, shoves, etc. It's where you learn why some people laugh when others call basketball a non-contact sport.

Lockback posted:

This is pretty good, but you're way too focused on shot selection by location. An open midrange shot is a better shot than a contested 3, and most offenses aren't looking for 1 type of shot, they are running plays that have lots of scoring opportunities all over the floor, the players have to make the decision when to take the shot. San Antonio is a really good team and they shoot a ton of mid-range shots, and are slightly below the mean on 3 pointers (they are good at hitting them, but they don't take a lot). They can do this because of how their team is constructed and their scheme, it isn't an inferior offense at all.

You typically ISO or Post-up not because it has a low turnover rate, but because you know you'll get an "okayish" opportunity within a few seconds. Most half-court basketball plays are a series of looks, most of them bad, that you pass/move out of until you find a good one. Transition and fast break is also really important. Transition shots usually score at a much higher rate, but you only get 1 shot per possession. Some teams focus on generating these, many aren't able to.

Welcome to the 2017-2018 Regular Season!

Lockback fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd like to try to collect some of the bashez political opinion newbie friendly posts we made over the last couple years. Maybe we can roll them forward on the N/Vs. Anyone have good ones?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The genius of In N Out is not that the burger and fries are transcendentally good for everyone, it’s that the array of customization options allows you to create a burger that is transcendentally good for you. If you don’t like In N Out the problem is you. DeAaron Fox is a bust.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Light the Kobe signal

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Basketball

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

straight up brolic posted:

The genius of In N Out is not that the burger and fries are transcendentally good for everyone, it’s that the array of customization options allows you to create a burger that is transcendentally good for you. If you don’t like In N Out the problem is you. DeAaron Fox is a bust.

When I was in America I noticed that you could get great breakfast everywhere but decent lunch and dinner were hard to find. Good to see the USA working on its meat flavored sandwich game.
Kuzma will be better than Ball.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 17, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 2017-2018 Memorial Markelle Fultz Flake Out Season

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A Perfect Twist posted:

When I was in America I noticed that you could get great breakfast everywhere but decent lunch and dinner were hard to find. Good to see the USA working on its meat flavored sandwich game.
Kuzma will be better than Ball.

If you were not brutally attacked and greasy burgers with doughnuts as buns were not shoved down your throat at the first symptom of being hungry the USA welcoming committee woefully failed and will be shot by one of our many guns.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Tonight

I will be watching

NBA

BASKETBALL

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Tonight

I will be watching

NBA

BASKETBALL

The Eastern Conference matchup is Cavs/Celtics, so yeah! If you watch some of the Eastern matchups games tomorrow.... NBA Basketball might be a stretch

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
1. GSW
2. HOU
3. SAS
4. OKC
5. POR
6. UTA
7. LAC
8. MIN

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Last year's results and offseason moves:

ATLANTIC DIVISION

Boston Celtics: 53-29, lost in conference finals
New faces: Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Aron Baynes, Marcus Morris, Guerschon Yabusele, Semi Ojeyele, Shane Larkin
Dearly departed: Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green, Kelly Olynyk, Tyler Zeller

Toronto Raptors: 51-31, lost in conference semis
New faces: C.J. Miles, OG Anunoby, K.J. McDaniels, really anyone with initials for a first name is welcome
Dearly departed: DeMarre Carroll, Cory Joseph, P.J. Tucker

New York Knicks: 31-51
New faces: Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, Frank Ntilikina, Ramon Sessions, Michael Beasley, Tim Hardaway Jr. (again), Damyean Dotson,
Dearly departed: Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday, Maurice Ndour, Chasson Randle, Sasha Vujacic

Philadelphia 76ers: 28-54
New faces: Markelle Fultz, J.J. Redick, Amir Johnson, James Michael McAdoo
Dearly departed: Sergio Rodriguez, Gerald Henderson, Tiago Splitter, Shawn Long

Brooklyn Nets: 20-62
New faces: DeMarre Carroll, Allen Crabbe, D'Angelo Russell, Timofey Mozgov, Tyler Zeller, Jarrett Allen
Dearly departed: Brook Lopez, Randy Foye, Justin Hamilton, Archie Goodwin, K.J. McDaniels, Andrew Nicholson

SOUTHEAST DIVISION

Washington Wizards: 49-33, lost in conference semis
New faces: Jodie Meeks, Mike Scott, Carrick Felix, Sheldon McLellan isn't new but changed his name to Sheldon Mac lol
Dearly departed: Bojan Bogdanovic, Brandon Jennings, Trey Burke

Atlanta Hawks: 43-39, lost in first round
New faces: Luke Babbitt, Dewayne Dedmon, Marco Belinelli, Miles Plumlee, John Collins, Nicolas Brussino
Dearly departed: Dwight Howard, Paul Millsap, Jose Calderon, Tim Hardaway Jr., Kris Humphries, Thabo Sefolosha, Ryan Kelly

Miami Heat: 41-41
New faces: Kelly Olynyk, Bam Adebayo, A.J. Hammons, Jordan Mickey
Dearly departed: Chris Bosh, Luke Babbitt, Josh McRoberts, Willie Reed

Charlotte Hornets: 36-46
New faces: Dwight Howard, Malik Monk, Dwayne Bacon
Dearly departed: Miles Plumlee, Marco Belinelli, Ramon Sessions, Brian Roberts, Briante Weber, Christian Wood

Orlando Magic: 29-53
New faces: Jonathon Simmons, Jonathan Isaac, Shelvin Mack, Marreese Speights, Arron Afflalo
Dearly departed: D.J. Augustin, Jeff Green, Jodie Meeks, Damjan Rudez, C.J. Watson, Stephen Zimmerman

CENTRAL DIVISION

Cleveland Cavaliers: 51-31, lost in Finals
New faces: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Cedi Osman, Jeff Green, Jose Calderon, Ante Zizic
Dearly departed: Kyrie Irving, Richard Jefferson, James Jones, Deron Williams, Derrick Williams

Milwaukee Bucks: 42-40, lost in first round
New faces: DeAndre Liggins, Sterling Brown
Dearly departed: Michael Beasley, Spencer Hawes, Gary Payton II

Indiana Pacers: 42-40, lost in first round
New faces: Victor Oladipo, Darren Collison, Domantas Sabonis, Bojan Bogdanovic, Cory Joseph, T.J. Leaf
Dearly departed: Paul George, Monta Ellis, Jeff Teague, C.J. Miles, Lavoy Allen, Kevin Seraphin

Chicago Bulls: 41-41, lost in first round
New faces: Zach LaVine, Lauri Markannen, Justin Holiday, Quincy Pondexter, Kay Felder, David Nwaba
Dearly departed: Jimmy Butler, Dwyane Wade, Rajon Rondo, Michael Carter-Williams, Joffrey Lauvergne, Isaiah Canaan, Anthony Morrow

Detroit Pistons: 37-45
New faces: Avery Bradley, Langston Galloway, Luke Kennard, Anthony Tolliver
Dearly departed: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Marcus Morris, Aron Baynes, Beno Udrih, Darrun Hilliard

SOUTHWEST DIVISION

San Antonio Spurs: 61-21, lost in conference semis
New faces: Rudy Gay, Joffrey Lauvergne, Derrick White
Dearly departed: Dewayne Dedmon, Jonathon Simmons, David Lee, Joel Anthony

Houston Rockets: 55-27, lost in conference semis
New faces: Chris Paul, P.J. Tucker, Luc Mbah a Moute
Dearly departed: Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker, Kyle Wiltjer

Memphis Grizzlies: 43-39, lost in first round
New faces: Tyreke Evans, Mario Chalmers, Ben McLemore
Dearly departed: Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Vince Carter, Wade Baldwin

New Orleans Pelicans: 34-48
New faces: Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, Ian Clark, Darius Miller
Dearly departed: Tim Frazier, Donatas Motiejunas, Quinn Cook, Quincy Pondexter

Dallas Mavericks: 33-49
New faces: Dennis Smith Jr., Josh McRoberts, Jeff Withey
Dearly departed: Nicolas Brussino, DeAndre Liggins, A.J. Hammons

NORTHWEST DIVISION

Utah Jazz: 51-31, lost in conference semis
New faces: Ricky Rubio, Donovan Mitchell, Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh, Jonas Jerebko
Dearly departed: Gordon Hayward, George Hill, Boris Diaw, Joel Bolomboy, Trey Lyles, Shelvin Mack, Raul Neto

Oklahoma City Thunder: 47-35, lost in first round
New faces: Paul George, Carmelo Anthony, Patrick Patterson, Raymond Felton
Dearly departed: Enes Kanter, Victor Oladipo, Domantas Sabonis, Taj Gibson

Portland Trail Blazers: 41-41, lost in first round
New faces: Zach Collins, Caleb Swanigan
Dearly departed: Allen Crabbe, Festus Ezeli (lol), Tim Quarterman

Denver Nuggets: 40-42
New faces: Paul Millsap, Trey Lyles
Dearly departed: Danilo Gallinari, Roy Hibbert, Mike Miller

Minnesota Timberwolves: 31-51
New faces: Jimmy Butler, Jeff Teague, Taj Gibson, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Georges-Hunt
Dearly departed: Ricky Rubio, Zach LaVine, Jordan Hill, Nikola Pekovic, Omri Casspi, Adreian Payne, Brandon Rush

PACIFIC DIVISION

Golden State Warriors: 67-15, NBA champions
New faces: Nick Young, Jordan Bell, Omri Casspi
Dearly departed: Ian Clark, James Michael McAdoo, Matt Barnes

Los Angeles Clippers: 51-31, lost in first round
New faces: Patrick Beverley, Milos Teodosic, Danilo Gallinari, Montrezl Harrell, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, Willie Reed, Sindarious Thornwell
Dearly departed: Chris Paul, J.J. Redick, Jamal Crawford, Alan Anderson, Brandon Bass, Luc Mbah a Moute, Paul Pierce, Marreese Speights

Sacramento Kings: 32-50
New faces: Zach Randolph, Vince Carter, De'Aaron Fox, George Hill, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Harry Giles, Justin Jackson, Frank Mason
Dearly departed: Rudy Gay, Darren Collison, Arron Afflalo, Ben McLemore, Ty Lawson, Anthony Tolliver

Los Angeles Lakers: 26-56
New faces: Lonzo Ball, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Brook Lopez, Kyle Kuzma, Andrew Bogut, Thomas Bryant
Dearly departed: D'Angelo Russell, Tarik Black, David Nwaba, Nick Young, Metta World Peace, Thomas Robinson

Phoenix Suns: 24-58
New faces: Josh Jackson, Troy Daniels, Davon Reed
Dearly departed: Leandro Barbosa, Ronnie Price

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 17, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shxzlTRK44
gently caress yeah

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

space reserved for Jr_Smith_so_right.wmv

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am excited for the big breakout season of Delon Wright.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Merry Christmas

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cavaliers 82-0 is real!!!

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Cavaliers 82-0 is real!!!

Wrong!!! Is lie!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*throws open window* You there, boy! What day is it today

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Let's go the Utah Jazz but also the Minnesota Timberwolves a bit still.

But also Spurs to win the championship because I don't think that's a realistic goal for Utah or Minnesota. Yet.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Five Guys has vastly superior fries

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Adun posted:

Wrong!!! Is lie!!!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Chairchucker posted:

Let's go the Utah Jazz but also the Minnesota Timberwolves a bit still.

But also Spurs to win the championship because I don't think that's a realistic goal for Utah or Minnesota. Yet.

Im chainsawcharlie and i support this message.but also go 76ers. I hope that after the warriors implode its just a decade of wolves vs 76ers.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Once I thundered up, I couldn't thunder back down.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hand Knit posted:

I am excited for the big breakout season of Norman Powell.

Fixed

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Weird way to spell Tyus Jones.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I hope Markelle’s shoulder gets better

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Also at what point do we stop chalking all of this up to bad luck and start blaming the abysmal Sixers training staff?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chalk what up .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also at what point do we stop chalking all of this up to bad luck and start blaming the abysmal Sixers training staff?

Their injuries are usually coming from college right? I mean, with the old Portland thing guys would play a bunch of games before going down, but at the point you are blaming the training staff for guys with 0 NBA minutes I think you are saying they are actively hurting players.

The more likely scenario is a strategy of not considering injuries to be a major value reductor and taking it really slow with young guys.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Considering the training/medical staff has gone through a near complete overhaul over the past 2 years, IIRC...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It's basically regular fries with Tony Chachere's sprinkled on top.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Superior everything

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Their injuries are usually coming from college right? I mean, with the old Portland thing guys would play a bunch of games before going down, but at the point you are blaming the training staff for guys with 0 NBA minutes I think you are saying they are actively hurting players.

The more likely scenario is a strategy of not considering injuries to be a major value reductor and taking it really slow with young guys.
Fultz shoulder, Simmons foot, and Embiid’s knee (not foot) all occurred in custody of the team

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I am pretty thrilled by the idea that Norm still has another level to reach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Five Guys fries are trash, as they would likely kill me

Not quite Bulls level of Trash, as they will most assuredly kill me sometime this year.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

While I like In N Out’s more anyway you can their fries to be cooked to your preferred doneness (soggy, normal, crispy, extra crispy). They use better oil than five guys and also have animal style, grilled onion, and chopped chili options.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Guys... It's not offseason anymore. We don't have to do this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fultz shoulder, Simmons foot, and Embiid’s knee (not foot) all occurred in custody of the team

Those are all normal injuries

Well we don't know exactly what's going on with Fultz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

The Sixers training staff has been taking a ton of criticism from fans for a while now. So has the team about transparency with the injuries everyone has had since every single timeline they give ends up being wrong. A lot of it really was bad luck but their messaging on stuff was bad and made everything seem worse. Like when you keep saying people have something minor or they may be back at some point and then every time it ends up being more serious and they miss a ton of time it pisses off the fans and makes people think you are either incompetent or liars.

• Locked thread