Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'm looking at millenials today and it used to be you got early work experience in your 20s and then started into your professional career in your 30s and then you were making enough money to possibly get married and have kids and poo poo. But today those 20 year olds have a lot more going against them, they have a ton of student debt and the opportunities for advancement or even just getting a decent salary job are a lot harder to come by. Is this going to gently caress up the current generation and force them to get married and have kids in their 40s? Are we going to have a lot more retard babies as a result of the drop in fertility? Are all these hipsters just going to become lonely spinsters when they get older?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
lol yeah 40's is a good time to start a family

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

the more retards who think spending 150k for an arts degree is a good idea that dont breed, the better. also lol if you start having kids in your 30’s hope you enjoy little Kaydenn having autism.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Ill Peripheral posted:

lol yeah 40's is a good time to start a family

parents are gonna be old as gently caress now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They keep moving it out because the economy is poo poo so they're trying to make it sound like it's ok that you got turbofucked in your 20s aaaand whoops, your 30s, ha ha 40s is when you start havin' fun!

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

also lol if you start having kids immunized hope you enjoy little Kaymndyennñ having autism.

ftfy

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had my kids in my late twenties early thirties and I found the whole experience completely exhausting. I dread to think how much more of a lazy dad I would be if I'd been in my forties

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Scientastic posted:

I had my kids in my late twenties early thirties and I found the whole experience completely exhausting. I dread to think how much more of a lazy dad I would be if I'd been in my forties

I'm in your boat, 32 almost 33 here and have a 6 month old. My wife wants more but I'm not sure I want to deal with the increased chaos a second kid would bring.

ambient robot
Apr 23, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think I've met anyone who has ever recommended getting married so maybe people are finally starting to get smart

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Conch Shell Corp posted:

the more retards who think spending 150k for an arts degree is a good idea that dont breed, the better. also lol if you start having kids in your 30’s hope you enjoy little Kaydenn having autism.

30's is like the age you're least likely to have a kid with autism. Are you on the spectrum?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm very close to 40 and at this point if my wife said she wanted kids I'd file for divorce.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
No. New 40's are still the old 40's. People are just more defective.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Besides, I had kids in my 20s and they pretty much had to scavenge for food in the neighbors garbage to survive. Imagine how much less energy I'd have to raise them if I'd waited until my 40s.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ambient robot posted:

I don't think I've met anyone who has ever recommended getting married so maybe people are finally starting to get smart

If everyone I knew told me not to get married, I'd probably not brag about that on the internet.

ambient robot
Apr 23, 2014

by Lowtax
wanna get hitched?

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

It's all anecdotal, but I think so. Out of all of the people I know, there's only one other couple my age that's actually married and moved out on their own, and one of them comes from a crazy-rich family so they can afford it.

Can't do poo poo if you don't have money and finding a proper paying job is mostly based on luck, unless you want to end up with a poo poo-ton of college debt

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Scientastic posted:

If everyone I knew told me not to get married, I'd probably not brag about that on the internet.

:iceburn:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
More anecdote, I see mid 30's, but the non college grads I know mostly poo poo out kids on their 20s still. Way too many incels though, none of which are redditors or goons???

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
40 is the time to get your poo poo together and make brand new mistakes, like matting a crazy younger person and buying dumb expensive poo poo. It's upgrading from anime figurines to sports cars.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If you're not married at 20 then lol how come nobody loves you

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Pick posted:

They keep moving it out because the economy is poo poo so they're trying to make it sound like it's ok that you got turbofucked in your 20s aaaand whoops, your 30s, ha ha 40s is when you start havin' fun!

coming up: Is death the new retirement? A fresh look into Retirement 2.0

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

idk

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Conch Shell Corp posted:

spending a large amount of money on a degree is pretty universally a bad idea, but arts degrees are actually pretty marketable given graphic design, branding, the fact that the entire internet is made out of images. maybe not if your degree is in museum curation or something, but even then you've probably had a curriculum that puts you in a good position to learn relevant and sellable art skills.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Yeah.

Saw an article how this isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. It leads to more stability for the family, since you MOST LIKELY have a stable job/finances at this point

So instead of the kids growing up malnourished cause you're an idiot and had them at 18 and you worked at TJ Maxx, the kids can actually eat and learn

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think like, more and more chicks are just getting into anal and stuff. :shrug:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
People get older but women don't really stay fertile that much longer.

Also one thing i'm going to want in my late 50's is a bunch of teenagers running around, that will be awesome.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Ocean Book posted:

spending a large amount of money on a degree is pretty universally a bad idea, but arts degrees are actually pretty marketable given graphic design, branding, the fact that the entire internet is made out of images. maybe not if your degree is in museum curation or something, but even then you've probably had a curriculum that puts you in a good position to learn relevant and sellable art skills.

lol if you think people actually bothered to learn how to use photoshop instead of just "Art History"

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think like, more and more chicks are just getting into anal and stuff. :shrug:

This except it has me wondering if I'll find more career minded women in their 30s and 40s that are single or just used up single moms that put out too early.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm in your boat, 32 almost 33 here and have a 6 month old. My wife wants more but I'm not sure I want to deal with the increased chaos a second kid would bring.

Hell, same

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Magius1337est posted:

This except it has me wondering if I'll find more career minded women in their 30s and 40s that are single or just used up single moms that put out too early.

Either way I think they just want to feel filled up. :shrug:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had mine at 30 and am 34 now. I would loving die if I had another kid or started now. I can barely hang on to my sanity as it is.

I think some people are more suited for it, namely those with a lot of money for childcare help or useful family that can assist or that just really like kids on some deep level. It also helps if your marriage isn’t hosed.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
If you're over forty years old, you're a useless piece of poo poo and should die asap.

Source: am over forty years old.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
only if you’re an idiot who doesn’t look at the job market before deciding to embark on a college degree

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Giraffe posted:

If you're over forty years old, you're a useless piece of poo poo and should die asap.

Source: am over forty years old.

Why won't the good lord take me?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

soy posted:

Had mine at 30 and am 34 now. I would loving die if I had another kid or started now. I can barely hang on to my sanity as it is.

I think some people are more suited for it, namely those with a lot of money for childcare help or useful family that can assist or that just really like kids on some deep level. It also helps if your marriage isn’t hosed.

I had mine a tiny bit later...what did you do about all the crap that says only children aren't great? I mean, I read some and it seems like that whole notion was one dude's opinion a century ago, where he said only children were basically monsters.

My marriage seems to be not hosed right now, but I can see this "I want a second kid" thing being a huge problem in the coming year or two. And before we got married, we agreed we both wanted to have children, but I had no real idea what that entailed and I don't think it was literally children, not just a child, having seen what's expected of a parent.

My parents moved out to help us, and it's nice to drop her off while we go to work, but they're older and adding a second child to their routine would not work, despite their intentions. So then it's daycare which is expensive, and that saying that "1 is 1 but 2 is 10" makes me really be afraid of having another.

But then I'll see two little girls wandering around together and singing a little nonsense song to each other and how could I deny my daughter that? Or my own relationship with my brother.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I thought 2 was 01.

Boop beep.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of sheeple still has kids while trump is president?? good god

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I had mine a tiny bit later...what did you do about all the crap that says only children aren't great? I mean, I read some and it seems like that whole notion was one dude's opinion a century ago, where he said only children were basically monsters.

My marriage seems to be not hosed right now, but I can see this "I want a second kid" thing being a huge problem in the coming year or two. And before we got married, we agreed we both wanted to have children, but I had no real idea what that entailed and I don't think it was literally children, not just a child, having seen what's expected of a parent.

My parents moved out to help us, and it's nice to drop her off while we go to work, but they're older and adding a second child to their routine would not work, despite their intentions. So then it's daycare which is expensive, and that saying that "1 is 1 but 2 is 10" makes me really be afraid of having another.

But then I'll see two little girls wandering around together and singing a little nonsense song to each other and how could I deny my daughter that? Or my own relationship with my brother.

Protip, wait until your first kid is at least four, then saddle them with the worst parts of raising babies.
Source: I have 4 year old twin boys who desperately need a hobby to stop them from running around. Changing diapers at 3 AM could be that hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Peace de Bundy posted:

what kind of sheeple still has kids while trump is president?? good god

people who like to gently caress?

• Locked thread