Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Man this looks so cool, but I'm not sure I can justify buying yet another big board game considering how rarely I make it out to gaming nights these days.

Who am I kidding? I will probably pick it up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Blisster posted:

Man this looks so cool, but I'm not sure I can justify buying yet another big board game considering how rarely I make it out to gaming nights these days.

Who am I kidding? I will probably pick it up anyway.

Set up gaming night at your own house on a different day, it's what I did. Also you don't want to be lugging this thing around. Make people come to you.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I havent played this yet but I'm eagerly waiting for my copy to arrive. How necessary is one of the organizers? Is it that bad to store in box?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the storage is fine enough, the advantage to organizers it that it cuts out significant amounts of setup time each game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably going to do the plano box thing

Looking for specific monsters or terrain in a zip lock bag is a bit time consuming and frustrating

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wow. This game is great.

This is going to live on my game table for a long time. Playing with my daughter's. We got.

Rockman the Crabheart
Bubon the Mindfreak
SuperPunch the Brute

Right now I have enough room for everything but it seems like quickly the scenarios are going to get bigger.

Do you guys only pull out the Gloomhaven map when you go back? I have a wild idea of framing it and hanging it on the wall...like a map. You don't do more with it later other then a sticker reference sheet right?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you guys only pull out the Gloomhaven map when you go back? I have a wild idea of framing it and hanging it on the wall...like a map. You don't do more with it later other then a sticker reference sheet right?

just make sure your frame covers as little of the physical board as possible. there are large stickers that go on the edges.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow. This game is great.

This is going to live on my game table for a long time. Playing with my daughter's. We got.

Rockman the Crabheart
Bubon the Mindfreak
SuperPunch the Brute

Right now I have enough room for everything but it seems like quickly the scenarios are going to get bigger.

At least as far as I've gone, it's just a sticker reference sheet. So unless there's a sudden mind-bending massive twist, which I find incredibly unlikely, you'll be perfectly safe to do that.

And while the scenarios *do* get bigger, it's not terribly common that they get especially huge, because the basic mechanics of exhaustion limit how big a map can be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

just make sure your frame covers as little of the physical board as possible. there are large stickers that go on the edges.

Cool. Maybe I'll just get nail it up with some tiny finishing nails

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow. This game is great.

Rockman the Crabheart
Bubon the Mindfreak
SuperPunch the Brute

I'm half in the bag and can only read this as a drunk persons post and love it.

Where is my copy, cardhaus?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I'm half in the bag and can only read this as a drunk persons post and love it.

Where is my copy, cardhaus?

If you mean the names it's because they are 7 and 4. The 4 year old is basically me playing a second character and her yelling 'oh yeah oh yeah punched you in the Crabheart" after drawing a hit card.

Our Party's name is The Punchmans.

7 year old is loving it. She's my gaming genius I've written about before. She tried the Tinkerer for the first scenario, I'd read bad things but wasnt going to stop her fun. She declared it too situational and switched characters. RIP Tinkawesome the Tinkerer

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I assume no one knows but what are the timescales in getting this retail in the UK? I've heard anything from late Nov to next spring. I have a copy reserved at my flgs but they have no idea on when it'll appear.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me and my fiancee played 2 more games of this: our very first game was with 3, the next two with 2, but the game scales relatively well. In the second scenario me (as the Brute) used a whole bunch of good cards early and basically exhausted myself, but my fiancee took out like 2 skeletons and 2 zombies with the scoundrel and she dodged their blows left and right. The Scoundrel is pretty good, but I'm liking the Brute now that I'm at level 2 with him.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I've unlocked all the classes and played most of them. Scoundrel is top tier good, even with all of the other classes unlocked. But generally every class has been fun and played differently. None have been out right bad or unplayable. A few are certainly more challenging, which by the time you unlock them, is a welcome experience. My least favorite has been the Tinkerer only because I feel its gimmick doesn't scale as well with player count and I have only ever played 2-player.

I love me some Cragheart. His gimmick is not so much tank as it is battlefield control and manipulation. We cheesed a super hard scenario once by making a tough mudder obstacle courses for the monsters to run through.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Scoundrels story made me not want to play it. The other ones are minority struggles or other generic motivations. rear end in a top hat human kind of didn't sound fun.

Also the allure of rogue but with mind/rat powers was too strong.

So many classes in this I don't think I'll ever get to play them all. Want to try the spell starter and the scoundrel now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Would people be adverse to me posting class summaries of the starting classes in here? I don't have personal experience with the Scoundrel or the Brute, but I think an overview of what the classes play like could be helpful.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Would people be adverse to me posting class summaries of the starting classes in here? I don't have personal experience with the Scoundrel or the Brute, but I think an overview of what the classes play like could be helpful.

Please do!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Really your character's randomly drawn motivation card is more of a deciding factor in your rp than anything else.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Really your character's randomly drawn motivation card is more of a deciding factor in your rp than anything else.

this is 100% correct.

one group my first character, a mind thief, was all about the team cause my career goal was to kill 20 of something we found many of. No problem there.

my other group, as tinkerer, my goal was to amass 200 gold, and it turned me into the worst team mate ever. I would let people come to within a point of exhaustion just to get my hands on one more filthy coin, and when I retired, all that gold just disappeared into the ether. because there's no I in team.

Right now in group 1 I'm slow-playing the sunkeeper(sun) because being the best tank ever is tons of fun.

group 2 I'm burning hard toward retiring the quartermaster(triple arrows) because juggling items isn't that fun.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 13, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canadian shipping labels have been created!

Hopefully not too long now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

You should probably say what symbol is behind those spoilers, because otherwise people have no clue whether they've unlocked what you're talking about until they actually look over the spoiler.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

You should probably say what symbol is behind those spoilers, because otherwise people have no clue whether they've unlocked what you're talking about until they actually look over the spoiler.

gooooood call.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008
Played the first few missions of this today as thiefrat. Definitely didn’t manage my hand well and exhausted myself, but killed the boss with my dying breath leaving the mage and brute to kill everything else. Brute exhausted himself killing all but one thing. Mage’s last possible turn got lucky and killed the last dude. It’s somewhat satisfying to charm an enemy into walking onto a trap.

I have the kill-20-things mission too... do I have to get the killing blow on them? Kinda feels like I should.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

philihp posted:

I have the kill-20-things mission too... do I have to get the killing blow on them? Kinda feels like I should.
you do. good luck! The thiefrat can easily be built for that kind of lethality, thankfully.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got the "complete 6 side scenarios" personal goal on my first character and eventually just said gently caress it and retired after four because everyone else in the group was already on their third character. Might just be my bad luck but side scenarios seem pretty drat rare.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I got the "donate 120g to the church" objective which is basically a timer.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I got my copy a few weeks back but unfortunately been too busy to play much. Still, from what I've seen so far it's good fun. We nearly wiped on the first encounter LOL

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I got the "donate 120g to the church" objective which is basically a timer.

I got "do 15 scenarios" which is literally a timer. Other character is mindrat who has killed 8 different things after 3 scenarios...he might retire at barely level 2.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Of the 4 in our group only 1 has completed his goal (kill x of specific bad guy types) and we’re about 10 scenarios in. I have 4 quests in one region, someone else has 1 quest in each of 4 different regions, and the last has x side missions (we’ve only gotten 1 so far). I don’t know if this was just bad luck on the initial draw and also on road/city encounters or what.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Please do!

Alright then, let's go for it:

Inox Brute: This guy does pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the name. He's a fairly self-sufficient tanky melee guy (with a couple ranged options)--he doesn't particularly care about elements being set, or about status effects, he's there to hit people, and get hit back. He does come with a good chunk of melee AoE, which is useful, but not quite as good as it looks, because it's hard to get full value out of it. He's generally pretty high-initiative (by which I mean he is slow), but he does have a handful of faster cards to pair with his slow ones.

Human Scoundrel: This is another class that is more or less what you expect--speedy high-damage melee. Besides having low initiatives on a lot of its cards, the scoundrel also has multiple cards with Move 5 on the bottom half--they're the most maneuverable starting class by far, and they excel at getting things dead and scooping up giant mounds of loot. That said, they can't quite do it alone--a lot of their damage is locked behind their target either being next to one of your allies (yay, flanking), or not being next to any of its allies. So if you're going 2-player and the other person is, say, the Spellweaver, the Scoundrel just isn't going to work that well. Like the Brute, the Scoundrel is pretty element-independent.

Savvas Cragheart: The Cragheart is weird, and is the starter class that I played (you will not be forgotten, Arngor Hammerheart). He has a large hand size, as much health as the Brute, and sloooow initiatives... but he also has both melee and ranged AoE that have some friendly fire, abilities that play around with obstacles, and some guaranteed damage abilities. There's a lot of different directions that you can go with him--I personally went mostly for melee, with some obstacle stuff scattered in--there's an X card, Heaving Swing, that lets you punch people straight through obstacles for extra damage, which owns. Early on, you're mostly going to care about Earth--you both set and consume it--but as time goes on the importance of that drops off by quite a bit. I definitely had a lot of fun manipulating the battlefield, punching cultists through their unholy altars, and just generally being a big pile of rocks.

Orchid Spellweaver: The Spellweaver is, fairly obviously, the mage of the starting classes. You have a tiny health pool, and a pretty tiny hand as well--only 8 cards--of which a bunch of cards are loss abilities. What keeps you going, though, is Reviving Ether, which recovers all of your lost cards. So you'll end up blowing through your hand, pausing for a refresh, and then blowing through it again. The loss cards have plenty of power to make up for being losses--you have a lot of multi-target nukes, and the Spellweaver gets lots of experience, so they'll rocket up the levels rather quickly. They have stuff that cares about every element out there, so you're going to be keeping an eye on the element board a lot--you're heavily rewarded for doing so.

Quatryl Tinkerer: The support of the starting classes, the Tinker has average health, pretty average initiative, and a 12-card hand, the largest of any of the six. Unlike the Brute or Cragheart, though, he has a fair number of loss cards, without a way to get them back like the Spellweaver does. True to theme, the Tinkerer kind of has a lot of different gadgets throwing out different effects--net shooters to immobilize people, poison darts, ink bombs, healing sprays, so on and so forth--he can put out quite a bit of damage when he wants to, although he has to pace that against how much more dungeon there is. He also gets summons, which our Tinkerer focused on. The initial Decoy doesn't have an attacks and just runs around taking damage, but the later ones can put on some pretty good hurt, when properly timed. Doesn't consume any elements, but a fair number of his cards set them incidentally.

Vermling Mindthief: the Mindthief is as squishy as the Spellweaver, and a melee character to boot. To make up for it, though, the Mindthief does great, consistent damage, and throws around status effects. His main gimmick is Augments--cards that get played and stay in play, modifying all of the Mindtthief's melee attacks until they switch it up for a different augment (and a later card lets you have two augments at once!)--at level one, your bread-and-butter augment gives all of your melee attacks +2 attack, which means you're consistently hitting hard, especially when you pair it with cards that do more damage the more status effects your victim has. In the right circumstances you can just gib people. The Mindthief, being a Mindthief, also has abilities to control enemies, making them move or attack against their will, or just making them act as an ally for a turn. Or you can just blow up their head sending bone shard shrapnel all over the place, whatever works. The Mindthief sets and consumes Ice, mostly to stun people, which is the best status effect in the game. Also has summons, but they're not really worth using.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am not going to read that post because I don't want to know anything about the game before starting and just say

:f5: WHY IS MY SHIPMENT SCHEDULED FOR DELIVERY THE DAY BEFORE PAX WHAT THE gently caress

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm really excited and also really nervous that my copy's going to have hosed up components. Fingers crossed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nice writeup.

My Brute Mindtheif Cragheart team seems like it could really use a scoundrel or spellweaver, a striker. We are barley eeking out scenarios with 'luck' or 1 person exhausted and the other too with hands of 4 cards, which if you have played means you have 2 rounds left or so and it might be time to nuke your way out. Still when we saw a Boss and its health we were shocked.

Or is it just balanced like that? keep hearing how well balanced it is.

Also I find mindthief constantly has heal 2 attached to you know, not die, instead of +2.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2017

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Scenarios are mostly balanced in such a way that you'll be dangerously low on cards by the end, at least at the start of a campaign. Once you get more classes, abilities and items unlocked you may be able to outpace scenario scaling with the right combos. That's when you increase scenario difficulty :getin:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Nice writeup.

My Brute Mindtheif Cragheart team seems like it could really use a scoundrel or spellweaver, a striker. We are barley eeking out scenarios with 'luck' or 1 person exhausted and the other too with hands of 4 cards, which if you have played means you have 2 rounds left or so and it might be time to nuke your way out. Still when we saw a Boss and its health we were shocked.

Also I find mindthief constantly has heal 2 attached to you know, not die, instead of +2.

Early on it is, but as you get a better grasp of the game you'll have more leeway. Doesn't mean it can't get tight, though, we still have times where we only barely scrape by.

Also, remember that the best healing is your enemy being dead before they get to attack :coal:.

keldon
May 14, 2009
My copy showed up Friday. Unfortunately one of the punch boards appeared to have absolutely no glue. The only thing holding it together seemed to be that the cutting had pinched the layers together a bit. Once I punched the pieces they fell apart. Luckily there doesn't seem to be anything critical on that board, just some obstacles and damage tokens, and a big T map piece.

Played a couple of scenarios over the weekend with the family. My wife really enjoyed it, more than I expected. Son also enjoyed it, which I did expect. He was playing the Mindthief, however, which I knew he'd like, since "mind control" abilities are his favorite in whatever game he plays. Pity that I think he got the most complex character out of any of us (also had Brute and Tinkerer). I think mom and dad ended up deciding what he'd play almost every turn, but he was super excited when he mind controlled a bandit to walk to its death in a trap. Wife is already planning on freeing up time this evening for another game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Nice writeup.

Yeah, scenarios are balanced pretty tightly at low levels, but once you get more items and tailored ability decks you'll probably end up with more leeway. I think all of those classes can build for pretty solid damage, but the Scoundrel makes them look like chumps in that department. She is extremely good. Doing 2 player boss fights with a scoundrel is funny because she can often one or two shot them with the right setup, due to their lower hp.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, scenarios are balanced pretty tightly at low levels, but once you get more items and tailored ability decks you'll probably end up with more leeway. I think all of those classes can build for pretty solid damage, but the Scoundrel makes them look like chumps in that department. She is extremely good. Doing 2 player boss fights with a scoundrel is funny because she can often one or two shot them with the right setup, due to their lower hp.

This makes sense. All level 2 characters are still recommended to do the same difficulty scenario.

KingKapalone posted:

What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

He has a ongoing card that heals you every time you melee attack. So you can go into heal/stab mode. Also invisibility to save your rear end. Also a couple move/attack cards, so you can move and attack twice with heals you to full pretty much.

You can make a new character anytime you want. Each class has a pad of character sheets. There are also one-shot scenario builders cards if you want to just make one and try a character.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

keldon posted:

My copy showed up Friday. Unfortunately one of the punch boards appeared to have absolutely no glue. The only thing holding it together seemed to be that the cutting had pinched the layers together a bit. Once I punched the pieces they fell apart. Luckily there doesn't seem to be anything critical on that board, just some obstacles and damage tokens, and a big T map piece.

I had this happen just with one piece, not an entire board, and just one side of it. I was able to use regular glue just to stick the part that fell off back on.

My friend's dog also immediately ate a piece as soon as I took it to the table, but luckily it was just one of the summon tracking tokens so in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.