Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It's only sold around this time, for some reason. I don't remember ever actually drinking it. I asked a guy buying eggnog and boiled custard once what it tasted like, but all he really told me was that eggnog was spicier. My dad use to buy boiled custard, but I don't remember trying that, neither.

What does eggnog and boiled custard taste like, SA? Is it better with alcohol added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's a bad thing made out of good things.

Rando fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 19, 2017

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have to make it yourself or it tastes terrible.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
hell yea

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's just like a slightly thick spiced milk drink. Maybe something like a thin milkshake and it tastes like cinnamon and poo poo. It's okay. I haven't had a really good eggnog, but it's inoffensive if you like milk. IDK what boiled custard is, but if it's like a flan it could be good because flan is delicious.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Make sure to add rum or bourbon :twisted:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

it's got egg and its got nog, it doesnt get any better than this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

myDad posted:

Make sure to add rum or bourbon :twisted:
I thought bourbon was traditional, with rum for hot buttered rum or whatever that thing with the batter is.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had an egg nog smoothie once and was surprised as hell at how good it was. The thicker consistency probably helped since I don't straight up drink milk.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought bourbon was traditional, with rum for hot buttered rum or whatever that thing with the batter is.

The history of eggnog is rife with controversy, but I always had it with rum.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
https://youtu.be/Bn4k90HLDc4

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
one my all time favorite nogs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
if you can find a brand that is high in cream and low in sugar it actually makes a decent lazy breakfast'

you could also just mix cream and a egg and some cinnamon and nutmeg though

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dolphin posted:

You have to make it yourself or it tastes terrible.

This is true. It's also a pain in the rear end to make with all the whisking required. I only did it once and since then I'll just drink bourbon on its own instead.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

just drink bourbon

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Suck my drat eggs, you nog

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Egg nog is great.

I can understand not liking it if you only drink mountain dew.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
egg nog is awful

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Egg nog is great.

I can understand not liking it if you only drink mountain dew.

egg nog is alright if you make it or buy a version that isn't like 3 bucks and comes in a cardboard carton but it's pretty funny to get all "i'm so cultured unlike you Goons for drinking this mixture of eggs+spices+liquor" about it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I can see why people may not like it, but you'd be dumb and wrong for doing so (though eggnog flavored things like coffee creamers and whatever else crap you can think of you're allowed to dislike, that's like 'pumpkin spice' level of 'no')

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i cant speak for a lot of pumpkin spice things but pumpkin spice coffee creamer is very nice. if youre gonna hate on that one you must be doing it out of some kind of misguided 1st world problems principle

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Is Gigapudding a sort of boiled custard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLJ-jXJLPcU

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I can see why people may not like it, but you'd be dumb and wrong for doing so (though eggnog flavored things like coffee creamers and whatever else crap you can think of you're allowed to dislike, that's like 'pumpkin spice' level of 'no')

Those pumpkin spiced candles are the worst.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
even at over 2 minutes this is a better ad than the 90s after school commercials of rad bmx and skateboard kids who need a sugary snack on the go and the reluctant but loving moms who are relieved to at least find a product their kids want
its no silver shamrock though

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm going to guess no but I've never tried it because it looks like its probably a good simulation of having your mouth bukkakked in.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm going to guess no but I've never tried it because it looks like its probably a good simulation of having your mouth bukkakked in.

... You ever drink milk?
Wow it's like that but slightly thicker and tastes like nutmeg. Ooo very scary.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
anyway bukkake is something you specifically do on a person not in any part of them. any of the eggnog bukkake going in your mouth would be incidental

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you're looking for an excuse to use your 300 dollar dutch oven egg nog french toast is pretty good. Not sure why you'd do it in a dutch oven though:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Seems like a lot of food for one person, but ok

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
What does a nog taste like so I can determine if it is the egg form of that

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mulled wine is the superior holiday beverage

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Before I moved to the midwest, I didn't understand the pure deliciousness of good eggnog. These are the best imo:

The classic is pretty much a milkshake in a carton. Delicious. Is best for mixing booze into and getting horrendously drunk on.

Milk nog is a big thinner, just as delicious, more like cinnamon toast crunch cereal milk. Awesome.

The lite is for babys.

They also make a really great horchata.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you only drink one glass of it it's fine i guess. but you'll still regret drinking it.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Get nog ripped and vomit creamy Christmas :krad:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
between november and february I can go through about one quart

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

between november and february I can go through about one quart

if you've never had eggnog this is a relatively heroic accomplishment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even the very idea makes me a bit nauseous. Not that I'd ever have it. Give me glögi any day of the week.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vastly superior to eggnog

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I swear of water entirely from Halloween to Easter and subsist solely on nog and pine scented air fresheners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I love eggnog. I tried buying some a few days ago, and it tasted great; then I bought a different brand the next time, and it tasted like nothing but a bunch of chemicals.
Making it yourself is the best way to make sure it tastes correct and good.

There are recipes for different levels of how much you want to cook the eggs, but go for the raw version.
Whenever I try to make a more cooked version, I end up having to strain out bits of egg chunk because I'm bad at it.

To answer your question, OP: it tastes a lot like a milkshake.

• Locked thread