Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm designing a logo for a record label, and I want an image of an armless, headless statue for part of it. I found a picture of Yves Klein's "Blue Venus" on Google:

It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Now, I've manipulated the photo so it's a partial silhouette in B&W, flipped horizontally and rotated slightly. IMO it still looks a lot like the photo, just altered slightly. Is using the image I've created from this photo a copyright violation of the Yves Klein estate (or whomever owns the copyright of the original work) and/or a copyright violation of the photographer of the statue? I can post the edits I've made if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If it's still identifiable as Blue Venus after manipulation then it's probably infringement (in the US at least). The laws vary from country to country of course.

According to this I think it'd be open to use in the year 2057:
https://www.wikiart.org/en/yves-klein/the-venus-of-alexandria-venus-blue

Although those copyrights have a tendency to get extended.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Zogo posted:

If it's still identifiable as Blue Venus after manipulation then it's probably infringement (in the US at least). The laws vary from country to country of course.

Thanks!

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Zogo posted:

I would tend to agree. Without seeing it, if it is the same form then rotating/converting to BW/etc doesn't do much to alter it (by way of crude example, Marvel would still get mad at you for posting a mirror-flipped BW version of Thor rotated 5 degrees off vertical on YouTube). In all honesty, probably no one will notice - but if you're designing a label designed for long-term use, I would go the safest route possible (especially given how many headless/armless statues exist whose artists are hundreds of years dead).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

How in the world are you doing graphic design for pay without understanding that a Google Images picture of a copyrighted work is, in fact, likely to be infringement if used?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Zogo posted:

Depending on your use... fair use might be a defense to that infringement. It's tough to prove, but the key is some kind of transformative use e.g., as parody or social commentary of some kind.

In practice, the better idea is to start with a public domain image of the original Greek statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

LargeHadron posted:

I'm designing a logo for a record label, and I want an image of an armless, headless statue for part of it. I found a picture of Yves Klein's "Blue Venus" on Google.

You should be doing this the other way around ...

• Locked thread