Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InquisitorLisica
Mar 26, 2010
EDIT New less terrible thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846174

InquisitorLisica fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I'm doing my part!

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Lord Hugh Munghus approves

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!
I'm in. (Don't tell Rolf)

edit: although there's no fart emote so I'm still on the fence

Piglet fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 20, 2017

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
This game is very painful but potentially extremely rewarding, like chemotherapy.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I love wurm. Seriously tempted by this.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
I'm just here for the deer balls.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Grease. Justin.

We need a Google doc outlining what needs to be done for those people that aren't online when you guys are, to give them direction.

If there is a specific floor plan, plans need to be drawn up and shared so somebody doesn't plop a house in the wrong spot, etc.

My job is usually pretty slow so I check in on discord to help out the newer people but ideally it would be good to get everyone on the same page.

I volunteer myself as tribute if you need someone to help out with that if youd like. We can review details tonight after I put my kids to bed .after 8pm PST.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SabinBlitz posted:

Grease. Justin.

We need a Google doc outlining what needs to be done for those people that aren't online when you guys are, to give them direction.

If there is a specific floor plan, plans need to be drawn up and shared so somebody doesn't plop a house in the wrong spot, etc.

My job is usually pretty slow so I check in on discord to help out the newer people but ideally it would be good to get everyone on the same page.

I volunteer myself as tribute if you need someone to help out with that if youd like. We can review details tonight after I put my kids to bed .after 8pm PST.

There isn't a floor plan but there is a general brain map of what we wanted the terraforming to look like. In fact if we put together a shovel work crew one day we could knock out all the terraforming in one go, we're really close to finishing.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can't check stuff like that at work but yeah by all means let's discuss it later. Grease says we struck iron last night? My immediate thought would be to get a ton of kilns (for charcoal, more efficient fuel and levels material prep) and furnaces immediately next to the mine so we can mass process iron. I haven't been on in the meantime so I dunno what all has been done. My plan tonight was to spam snowballs up to 30 mat. prep then spam charcoal for smelting/hitting 60 mat. prep. Then it's just a matter of hitting 30 smelting afaik and we will have access to nails and will be able to make coops and real houses and poo poo.

I'm probably going to get premium too because I want to know the true meaning of pain :v:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

The hour boost was super helpful last night. I don't mind my premium so far.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Do we know yet if the 2x skill boost is a flat multiplier? Like if we have food complexity bonus then use the booster does it multiply that bonus as well? Because if it did that could be quite powerful.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

They have said that it does yes. Which is why I'm leveling my alt up first to get to cooking ASAP. The food multiplier will help the new guys coming in catch up to us.

If you have the booster even better.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Isn't the highest food multiplier something nuts like 5x?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Yes. Combine that with the 2x and get a good cook. Everybody benefits.

That's why the bigger guilds are already so far ahead. Not because of additional manpower pooling resources but the smart guilds leveled cooking first, everybody benefits.

Confirmed seen mounted Calvary near our town already. He appeared to be a scout but he attacked Cunk.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 20, 2017

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
It will be key that our hunters find a high quality fishing spot and our farmers grind up to get higher quality ingredients. Being full of food is good but being full of good food is crucial.

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

SabinBlitz posted:

Yes. Combine that with the 2x and get a good cook. Everybody benefits.

That's why the bigger guilds are already so far ahead. Not because of additional manpower pooling resources but the smart guilds leveled cooking first, everybody benefits.

Confirmed seen mounted Calvary near our town already. He appeared to be a scout but he attacked Cunk.
Actually the mounted guy was a random person on the other side of the server and he didn't attack. I was attacked by a pair of fellow naked idiots. Again on the far side.

Just to clarify

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I bought the non mmo version years ago thinking it was the mmo one. So is the mmo one now out and is it fun?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

I bought the non mmo version years ago thinking it was the mmo one. So is the mmo one now out and is it fun?

If you own YO you own the mmo, friend. It's pretty fun since we have a large-ish group, but it's grindy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How easy is it you dig tunnels? All I'd want to do is dig tunnels and live in a cave.

In wurm, back when I played, it was a pain in the rear end.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Sankis posted:

How easy is it you dig tunnels? All I'd want to do is dig tunnels and live in a cave.

In wurm, back when I played, it was a pain in the rear end.

Digging is super easy. You wont' be able to make things as massive as they were in Wurm and early game before you can reinforce caves you will probably be in a tunnel collapse or two. You're also limited as to what you can put in the tunnels. But we have done stupid things like dig all the way down to the water table to try to fish and build a grotto.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
As a person who just can't help themselves when it comes to these types of crafting/building games would I be able to keep this particular one up in the background just grinding away at clothes or armour or whatever while stoned? On top of that is it decent enough to just leave going for long periods without worrying about ~optimal~ or whatever getting behind the curve and never being able to catch up?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Rynoto posted:

As a person who just can't help themselves when it comes to these types of crafting/building games would I be able to keep this particular one up in the background just grinding away at clothes or armour or whatever while stoned? On top of that is it decent enough to just leave going for long periods without worrying about ~optimal~ or whatever getting behind the curve and never being able to catch up?

It is, if anything, optimal to grind skills while being stoned.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It depends on your thing that your'e doing. Tonight during power hour I basically ran my dude collecting mushrooms while I did dishes. But afterwards, I filled in this totally normal non-autistic excel spreadsheet linked to me by another goon:

https://imgur.com/uZQdeZh

Most professions consist entirely of thigns that don't require much thought, some consist mostly of things that you don't even have to be present at your computer for, a few require constant attention or thought. The resource gathering professions are the ones that require the least coordination with other players since you can just gather poo poo and dump it out if you're just trying to gain levels. Mining and carpentry require regular clicking but aside from "don't tunnel near town" nobody really gives that much of a poo poo about what you do, and there's generally going to be a few open mines you can semi-idle at that other people have set up for you.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 21, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I leveled material preparation by filling my inventory with like 130 stone of snow and making snowballs for like 30 minutes while afk. It's totally windowed-play friendly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Cheers for the replies, all. Ended up tossing some money at it and starting perusing the wiki.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Make sure you are on the NA server before travelling to the main world from the noob server, all goons are on NA and it is really easy to mix the servers up.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I had a pretty good time playing Your Own and making GBS threads on carebare pubbies. Sign me up.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Can confirm this game is good. I've been making snowballs in my shack.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Is there room with goons for a guy who just likes to dig taliban caves and stab mans?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yes though the stabbings may have to come later. Apparently word got out goons play this game and there is a big group of RPer slavers from Darkfall who brought over all their goonhate so we need to make friends in the area to be able to muster enough troops to ward them off. That means no random sealclubbing unfortunately, we aren't strong enough to be belligerant unless we want to become the poopsockers we hate. We are behind them right now, but we are far, far away from each other so there isn't too big a risk yet.

There are always random unaffiliated travelers that like to murder people though who you can slay with impunity.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 22, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Justin Tyme posted:

Yes though the stabbings may have to come later. Apparently word got out goons play this game and there is a big group of RPer slavers from Darkfall who brought over all their goonhate so we need to make friends in the area to be able to muster enough troops to ward them off. That means no random sealclubbing unfortunately, we aren't strong enough to be belligerant unless we want to become the poopsockers we hate. We are behind them right now, but we are far, far away from each other so there isn't too big a risk yet.

There are always random unaffiliated travelers that like to murder people though who you can slay with impunity.

Sounds like a job for a certain crew of Rust goons who everyone hates but are good at killing mans :toot:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
hmm, kimsemus and non-pvp pacts... where have i seen these two things before

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Blazing Zero posted:

hmm, kimsemus and non-pvp pacts... where have i seen these two things before

its ok they didn't say fishing pact or wool sharing

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Is this like a Rust MMO or what's the deal, I've tried looking through several guides on youtube but they're all telling me about single player or something and I ain't about that lonely life.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
"Wurm Online combined with the combat mechanics of Mount & Blade: Warband" from the op is probably the best description ive read

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Blazing Zero posted:

"Wurm Online combined with the combat mechanics of Mount & Blade: Warband" from the op is probably the best description ive read

Yeah I haven't played either of those games and don't even have the faintest clue on what they're like.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
wurm is a super hardcore crafting game and mount and blade is pixel hit detection melee combat where cavalry can couch lances and one shot dudes

also the single player videos or life is feudal YOUR OWN videos are going to be basically mechanically identical to the mmo im p sure

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

I'm more interested in the multiplayer aspect, is there grief potential and like castle sieges or some poo poo?

The basic game mechanics are just a means to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

I'm more interested in the multiplayer aspect, is there grief potential and like castle sieges or some poo poo?

The basic game mechanics are just a means to an end.

Lots of grief potential. Sieges, war. Burning people's homes to the ground. Stealing their shoes or potatoes.

• Locked thread