Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Problem description: Went to bed listening to podcast, screen res 1920x1080. Woke up to 1024x768

Attempted fixes: read about reinstalling driver, didn't work. rolled back drivers, reinstalled windaz

Recent changes: wifi card

Operating system: win10

System specs: ancient amd am2 1090t, 5770 gpu

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

So first up, had foobar open and went to sleep listening to podcasts, foobar was like 1/4 screen real estate at the time.
Woke up and it was full screen, check res and it had dropped. System obviously hadn't restarted as it required logging and also foobar wouldn't be up and running anyway...
Max res now available is 1280x 960/1024, was 1920x1080
If I try man install ati drivers it runs through the progress and does nothing
If I try auto install it says "components already installed"

If I go to device manager it correctly says hd5770 card, but can't find any drivers (under driver info it says no drivers installed and no drivers required"!

I did a whole windows recovery install and my screen res came back to 1920. I then left the room and came back hours later to find my PC off and when rebooting having low res again. I have attempted recover/reinstall 5 times now and have never got back to having full res again. so that was a one off :(

I tried to use driver cleaners and install ati catalyst, but only CPU setting came up, no GPU

My mobo has onboard hd9280 or something, so I removed the 5770 card and plugged the dvi cable to that port but I got the same problems. No 1920x1080 display, no detection or successful driver install

At this age I know I need to replace something, probably everything. But still don't know if mobo, gu, psu or if it's just microsoft loving with me and I don't have the funds to replace everything though; and it would piss me off if it was software/microsoft/drivers. I would put linux on it right now but probably the new wifi card wouldn't work so it would make the system pointless anyway with no ethernet here.
E: tried running win7 install disc but looks like the DVD drive is fuckered anyway
e2: Nows there's no display with the vid card at all during POST, after eleventy times loving around with it. Still doesn't explain windows original problem or the current onboard gpu poo poo res.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Solved. It was a case of win10 loving over old legacy drivers (newest drivers for my gpu was 2012 or something). I found a working DVD r/w and got win7 reinstalled and then my legacy mobo and gpu drivers and I can get full res now.
I'm just going to stick with win7 for now until I buy new hardware. I'm hoping I can do win7 updates without drivers being replaced.
One of the things I read when googling is to do a driver roll back if I get the problem again. It didn't work for me the first time and then I did a win10 format and reinstall so I couldn't try it again. But anyway, not a hardware problem, just a windows10 problem with old hardware. (I said before my card stopped working completely but that's because I changed display to onboard in the BIOS. The card started working again when I changed it back to PCI first of course)

• Locked thread