Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Problem description: Cleaning up someones laptop that was running Win8. Backed up files, clean installed W10, everything is fine until I'm guessing it tries to install drivers and then I get the hardware disconnect sound and screen goes black. Plugging in external display wont work unless I boot with it plugged in already at which point it only identifies the external display, no evidence of it picking up the internal monitor (its actually there in device manager, just two generic pnp monitor entries).

Attempted fixes: Hard to do anything with a black screen. It is still lit though, just black

Recent changes: I thought the screen was replaced because the screws are visible, the little covers aren't there but was told it wasn't replaced. Everything seems fine when it comes on, screen works fine through boot it only shits the bed when it gets to Windows. Its not low res or anything so I cant see it somehow being the screen is an older one that cant handle whatever res its trying to go to. I've done a bunch of this exact model with no issues before. It worked fine with 8 and even going back and trying to install 10 again fresh, the issue appears at the Windows install screen before we actually get into the desktop. I installed 8 and upgraded to 10 from there, 8 worked fine while I did the upgrade. I dont wanna leave them with 8 but why the gently caress would the screen just stop working once you get to 10?
--

Operating system: Win10 Home

System specs: HP 2000

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I finally got it after reading some people having similar display issues in this forum. Uninstalled the driver (duh) and it worked but when it automatically downloads it again, I lose it again. The HP site was making GBS threads the bed last week when I tried but is working now, found the driver but although everything is working, theres a caution sign on the display adapter and I get a message at boot telling me to install the correct piece of poo poo AMD driver, but its working so gently caress it.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread