Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When I was a kid around the time Robocop was a big thing (like 5-7 years old), I always thought Robocop was kind of cheesy. He was ugly and not as cool as the Terminator and I decided I didn’t like Robocop.

Well I just watched the original last night for the first time and holy moley is that a good film. It was one of those films where any time I had to pause I checked the time stamp not because I wanted it over but because I was hoping there would be a lot more to go.

It makes me kind of sad that movies like this don’t really exist anymore. I think the ‘grimdark’ fad that has been going on for 20 odd years now has really ruined the action hero genre. This, Total Recall (really any Pre T2 Arnold movie), Rambo. These movies kick rear end. They’re excessive and they know they are. What happened to these kinds of action movies and where can I find more?

E:sorry posting threads on the iOS app sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
controversial opinion, op

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i definitely agree op, thanks for posting

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
For additional good, deceptively dark and satirical films, see also: Starship Troopers

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Nah, it's a horrible movie, and you should be ashamed if you like that filth.

(I'm lying. It is a perfect film; and if anyone actually hates it, they should be banned)

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How are the sequels? Upon reading it, RC2 seems to just want to give people more of what they want (RC killing dudes), but RC3 looks awful.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

edit for a dollar:

facebook jihad posted:

How are the sequels? Upon reading it, RC2 seems to just want to give people more of what they want (RC killing dudes), but RC3 looks awful.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I had a similar awakening a few years back OP.

:feelsgood:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i like the part where he shoots people in their dicks lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I only recently found out that Paul Verhoeven played the nerdy gas station employee

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Paul Verhoeven is a literal genius. Even Showgirls.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

Paul Verhoeven is a literal genius. Even Showgirls.

Remember when Joe Eszterhas conned everyone in Hollywood into thinking he was talented? lol

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

:nws:
https://vimeo.com/86014703

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The drop in quality between RoboCop and RoboCop 2 is disappointing. The drop in quality between RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3 is hilarious.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

facebook jihad posted:

2 is pretty good but nowhere near the first one. 3 is really bad but also really hilarious (robo gets a jetpack)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I enjoy yelling BITCHES LEAVE at random, inappropriate moments

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Back then you could make great films about "robot cops" or "killer robots sent from the future" (terminator)

There is a disturbing lack of such cool films today

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

1redflag posted:

The drop in quality between RoboCop and RoboCop 2 is disappointing. The drop in quality between RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3 is hilarious.

What are you doing picking out drinks?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Robocop and Rollerball are my two favorite sci fi dystopia movies

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I watched Terminator: Genesys last night and it easily has the worst CGI, I have ever seen in a major motion picture.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the new terminator movies are like impressively bad, it's breathtaking that anyone thought they were a good idea

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like the montage of hosed up prototypes in 2.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The robot that pulls its helmet off and reveals a skull beneath it scarred me as a kid

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fartbox posted:

The robot that pulls its helmet off and reveals a skull beneath it scarred me as a kid

:frogout:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dubplate Fire posted:

I watched Terminator: Genesys last night and it easily has the worst CGI, I have ever seen in a major motion picture.

Ever seen the Lawnmower Man (or it's sequel)?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fartbox posted:

Full serious and legitimate "same".

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"The Tigers are playing... [slaps the table] tonight! I never miss a game."

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

1redflag posted:

Ever seen the Lawnmower Man (or it's sequel)?

No, but wasn't it about 1990s virtual reality, so lovely 3D graphics makes sense?

edit: 10 million total budget vs 155 production budget.

Dubplate Fire fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 24, 2017

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
"Can ya FLY, Bobb-y?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I missed every shred of actual Robocop footage or praise until 2004 when a high school teacher put it on in a film class, specifically the intro through the ED-209 conference scene. I--and everyone--was floored that the movie wasn't garbage.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Dubplate Fire posted:

Whats the lady terminator movie where she grows her boobies to get out of a ticket and then murders the cop anyway

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

the milk machine posted:

2 is pretty good but nowhere near the first one. 3 is really bad but also really hilarious (robo gets a jetpack)

The fight scene at the end with the kung fu robot was peak hilarity

The Kung fu guy just flips around the room while robocop can barely shuffle around to face him

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Horseshoe theory posted:

"The Tigers are playing... [slaps the table] tonight! I never miss a game."

I love that line.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

robocop def v good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Paul Verhoeven is amazing and it's great watching his movies as a kid and thinking they're just action movies and then seeing them as an adult and realizing they're over the top satire. Starship Troopers is a great example of that.

Robocop is awesome.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I got to see Robocop in a cinema last month and it's insane how much better it is than basically any modern movie.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

BITCHES LEAVE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Stealth Tiger posted:

BITCHES LEAVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Former DILF posted:

Whats the lady terminator movie where she grows her boobies to get out of a ticket and then murders the cop anyway

Terminator 3. The first bad Terminator movie.

• Locked thread